Yes, I've revived the BLIZZARD thread. There's new information about this historic snowfall.

wineguy87 said:

Im assuming they plowed the spaces by the train station?  thx (dis regard my post, I posted on the Maplewood  blizzard update)... I'd delete but I'm having a senior moment ;~}

Maplewood by the park side of the station-- yes.  SO NJT lot I heard would be tonight, but as of now its frighteningly pristine.

Thank you Max, and thank you Fishy, for showing recognition for all of Max's hard work!

PeggyC said:
Somethingz_Fishy said:

Max! I don't know what I would do without your forecasts! I use them for my business and my personal life. I so love the hyper-local weather forecasts and updates. I've learned so much about weather from you. I know you enjoy it but I also know it's a lot of work. Thank you!

There is a $40 gift certificate to Kitchen a la Mode in our cash drawer with your name on it. Please come and use it or I'll be sad. I appreciate you!

=D a well deserved treat for MOL's resident weather guru.

sarahzm said:

25 inches in the middle of my backyard which is in South Orange on the West Orange border.   This was just over my knees.  After the blizzard of 1996  in Maplewood the snow came up to the middle of my thighs.  

The snow in my driveway on Valley Street came to my middle thighs this afternoon. I was not happy. 

Thank you, fishy, I will be there soon.  That, combined with the one I got from my family at Channukah, should get all my knives nicely sharpened!  And yes, thank you, all the kids got to school, and neither got snow this weekend!

max_weisenfeld said:

Thank you, fishy, I will be there soon.  That, combined with the one I got from my family at Channukah, should get all my knives nicely sharpened!  And yes, thank you, all the kids got to school, and neither got snow this weekend!

question 

Everywhere I needed to shovel on my corner lot was to the middle of my thighs or higher.  I will admit, though, that there were spots in my yard where I didn't need to shovel that looked like less than that.

meggie said:
sarahzm said:

25 inches in the middle of my backyard which is in South Orange on the West Orange border.   This was just over my knees.  After the blizzard of 1996  in Maplewood the snow came up to the middle of my thighs.  

The snow in my driveway on Valley Street came to my middle thighs this afternoon. I was not happy. 

PVW said:

I found the predictions off - there was actually not enough wine on hand to meet actual mulled wine demand. 

You'd think with all the mulling ...

The problem is doing the mulling during the storm. Clearly I need to start drinking as soon as Max says something about models predicting things a week away.

DaveSchmidt said:
PVW said:

I found the predictions off - there was actually not enough wine on hand to meet actual mulled wine demand. 

You'd think with all the mulling ...

Hi all. I was away this weekend, and came home last night completely snowed in. My snowblower cannot handle the amount so I am looking into a snow removal service today. Most of them are booked up. I would gladly pay anyone with big equipment to do this for me. Any takers?

Maybe it's just me, but usually after a heavy snow storm the temperature always seemed to dip to really freezing bitter cold.  But in the aftermath of this latest storm it seemed much warmer.  

I agree this post-blizzard thaw in January feels really weird.

DottyParker said:

Maybe it's just me, but usually after a heavy snow storm the temperature always seemed to dip to really freezing bitter cold.  But in the aftermath of this latest storm it seemed much warmer.  

DottyParker said:

Since I really, really hate ice, I'm happy to have it warmer rather than getting into thaw/freeze conditions.   But it does feel weird to have such a dramatic storm followed by it melting away so undramatically.

There's a ton of ice today though. We had a lot of melting yesterday (yay!) but there are some scary icy patches now. Walking to school was a little dicey today.

The cycle is going to continue -- the clear skies mean colder nights and warmer days -- so watch out for ice in the mornings.

Nice to see Maplewood still working on clearing the snow.  Big front loaders overnight around the station and the biggest d**m snowblower I have ever seen on the sidewalk at Maplecrest park.  He even cleared the curb cuts!

Also a big thank you to Fishey at Kitchen a la Mode.  I have a really nice new knife now!

relx said:
max_weisenfeld said:

To answer the basic questions, now that I can feel my hands again after clearing all that snow:  I measured 19.5" and 2.82" of water for the total storm.  My snow depth seems to be on the lower end of the scale, although there were measurements of 19 and 17 inches in the area from other trained observers.

Max, question--who trains the trained observers?

on Jan 24, 2016 at 03:35pm max_weisenfeld said:
NWS. 
At my lowly level, it is mostly webinars.  The FAA has professionals at
the airports, and many fire departments and police departments send
staff to regional conferences and training sessions. 

So much for the training:  

"Perhaps an even bigger issue is the revelation, in the same publication, that officials have been measuring snowfall at Newark Airport incorrectly for the past twenty (20) years, since 1996."

https://www.nymetroweather.com/2016/04/28/3-months-later-blizzard-16-becomes-largest-nyc-history/

Whoa! In the weather weenie world, that's big, big news!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.