Years of the Maplewood NJ Senior (Older Adult)

joan_crystal said:
For those who have had trouble using the senior van due to difficulty entering the vehicle:  Jean tells me that he now has a step stool for the senior van that may make it easier to enter/leave the vehicle.  If you try it, please report back here.  Hopefully, it will improve accessibility for those wanting to use Maplewood's Senior Transportation.

Will someone assist the senior, using the step stool to enter the van? 

If the person has balance issues in the first place ----

The driver assists passengers now when needed.  Passengers also help each other.

Poor balance does not seem to be the current issue for most riders.  Mobility and vision issues are more common.  Even with the stop stool, those with severe mobility issues still will not be able to enter/leave the vehicle even with help.  What is needed is an accessible vehicle that is ADA compliant.  

Saturday August 3rd Main Library at 3 pm.  Art talk by members of the Senior Studio, an art program for seniors with classes at DeHart Community Center and the Maplewood Senior Center.  Learn about the program, see work by students who have participated in the classes during the past year.  Stop by the main library building during the month of August to see work on display.

August 2019 Event Calendar from SOMA Two Towns For All Ages

Go to our website for detailed and up-to-date information

www.SOMATwotownsforallages.org

The August/September 2019 issue of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages Newsletter is in the mail and on our website under the publication tab.  Hard copies are available now at the usual locations.

Digital Device Clinic, Hilton Branch Library, 5-7pm

• Drop in for free one-on-one support for using your phone or electronic device. Every Tuesday evening from 5 – 7 pm. (This is not a repair clinic)

Farmers Market Vouchers

Essex County annually provides income-qualified seniors with Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program vouchers, to be used at any farmers’ market in the county. The Division of Senior Services will distribute the vouchers on:

Wednesday, August 28, 10am - 2 pm

South Orange Village Offices,

76 South Orange Ave, 3rd Floor

Eligible residents can earn no more than $22,459 annually/$1,872 monthly/ $936 bi-monthly/$432 weekly.

Please bring:

• Proof of identification (age requirement 60+)
  • Proof of residency in Essex County
  • Proof of income.

Need transportation? call the Senior Bus for a ride: South Orange (973) 378-7854/Maplewood (973) 763-5287

NEW!  Prescription Drug Drop Box

South Orange Police Department and Board of Trustees are teaming up with the Essex County Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention Team (ADAPT) to help everyone safely dispose of unused medications simply by dropping it a secure lock box in the recently renovated lobby of South Orange Police Headquarters (201 South Orange Ave.)  As of August 6, this service is available to residents of South Orange, Maplewood and surrounding towns.  Maplewood Police Department will be installing a drop box shortly.

Thursday, August 1

FREE Adult Health Clinic, Hilton Branch Library, 12 - 1pm

• Services include: Blood Pressure Screening, Carotid Bruit Screening, Diabetes Risk Assessment, Medication, Weight and Health Counseling and Health Resources available.
  • Drop-ins are welcome

Friday, August 2

Downtowns After Sundown, Jazz On Sloan, 7-10 pm

• Consequence Joel Cotton

Springfield Avenue Gazebo Concert Series, Gazebo on Springfield Ave, 7pm

• Nando Griffiths and the Kingston 8 bring their unique mix of Afro beat, Reggae, Soul and R&B

Saturday, August 3

Downtowns After Sundown, Spiotta Park, 7-10 pm

• Laredo Ed Melee

Art & Music Reception, Maplewood Main Library, 3pm

• Enjoy works from Senior Studio

Monday, August 5

Adult Health Screening, Maplewood Main Library, 10:30 am - noon

Tuesday, August 6

Caregiver Support Group, Morrow Church, 9:30 - 11am

Opening of Prescription Drop Box Ceremony, South Orange Police Department, 210 S. Orange Ave, noon

• This box is for all residents to safely dispose of unused prescription drugs

National Night Out National

Night Out is an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships to help make our neighborhoods safer.  Its goal is to strengthen the relationship between neighbors and law enforcement, fostering a true sense of community.

• South Orange -  Floods Hill, 6:30 – 9:30pm.  Enjoy live music and a public safety fair where residents can learn more about various departments and organizations in town. Food trucks and vendors will be on site so come hungry! At 8:30pm, sit under the stars with some popcorn and cotton candy and enjoy a family friendly movie – don't forget your blanket and lawn chairs!
  • Maplewood - DeHart Park, 6-9pm.  Enjoy a night with a game truck, ice cream, food, and fun.  Meet personnel from your local police department and interact with neighbors, community members, and local businesses with the common goal of partnership and safety.

Wednesday, August 7

“I Do I Do” at the Hunterdon Hills Playhouse

• Seats still available, call (973) 763-0750
  • $68 includes ticket and transportation from the Maplewood Senior Center

Thursday, August 8

• Drop ins welcome.

Library Lecture Series, South Orange Public Library, 1pm

• Speaker: April Grier, Professor of Africana Studies at Rutgers and Jazz Aficionado
  • Topic: Reminiscing through Jazz, Part 2

Friday, August 9

Downtown After Sundown, Jazz On Sloan, 7-10 pm

• The Free Speech Trio

• Extra Syrup Horns expands traditional notions of a brass ensemble

BLOOD DRIVE, The Woodland, 2-7pm

• Hosted by the American Red Cross.

Saturday, August 10

Downtown After Sundown, Spiotta Park, 7-10 pm

• Jersey Swamp Cats Gerry Gladstone

Sunday, August 11th

Adult Night at the South Orange Pool, 6 – 8 pm

• All South Orange adult residents are invited to enjoy and evening of musical entertainment and dinner poolside.  Residents without a Recreation I.D. are asked to show one proof of residency. Residents may also bring adult guests at no charge. The snack bar will be open with dinner specials. Live music will be provided by the Ray West & Ricardo Grilli Guitar Duo featuring Jazz standards

Tuesday, August 13

Adult Health Screening, Maplewood Town Hall, 10 am - noon

Thursday, August 15

• Drop ins are welcome.

Last day for lower rate for Senior Picnic at the Maplewood Pool on Sept. 4

• $8 if registered by Aug 15. Call (973) 763-0750 to rsvp

Friday, August 16

• Patricia Walton & Friends

• The all-female band Dawn Drake & Zapone fuse worldbeat-meets-funk with everything from Afro-Cuban jazz to hip-hop and samba.

Saturday, August 17

• Ricky Persaud, Jr.

Sunday, August 18

Downtown After Sundown, Spiotta Park 6, 6-9pm

• Mama D & The Vexations

Tuesday, August 20

Caregiver Support group, Morrow Church, 9:30 - 11am

Atlantic Health System/ Overlook Hospital Healthy Avenues Van, Maplewood Town Hall, 10am - noon

• Services include: National Immunization Month Education, Bone Density and BMI Screening.

Thursday, August 22

• Drop ins are welcome.

Library Lecture Series, South Orange Public Library, 1pm

• Speaker: Wayne Eastman, Professor, Rutgers Business School
  • Topic: China and the United States - What Lies Ahead

United Way Caregivers Munch & Learn, West Caldwell Care Center, 165 Fairfield St., West Caldwell, 6pm  

• “Social Media Awareness” with Deb Hallisey, a caregiver knowledge expert, and advocate for older adults and their families. This program is for family caregivers only and reservations are a must.
  • Rsvp to Deborah.Day@UnitedWayNNJ.org or call 973-993-1160 x209.

Friday, August 23

• Richard Reiter Jazz Quartet

Saturday, August 24

• Darryl Clark Fusion w Special Guest Nat Adderley Jr

Monday, August 26

Book Discussion Group, South Orange Public Library, 7 - 8:30 pm

• "A Gentleman in Moscow"

Wednesday, August 28

Essex County Division of Senior Services Farmer Markets Vouchers Distribution, South Orange Village Offices, 10am – 2pm

• Proof of identification (age requirement 60+)
  • Proof of residency in Essex County
  • Proof of income (less than $22,459 annually)

Thursday, August 29

• Drop ins are welcome

Friday, August 30

Big Beat Big Band – Caleb Rumsey, Spiotta Park, 7-10 pm

Saturday, August 31

joan_crystal said:
For those who have had trouble using the senior van due to difficulty entering the vehicle:  Jean tells me that he now has a step stool for the senior van that may make it easier to enter/leave the vehicle.  If you try it, please report back here.  Hopefully, it will improve accessibility for those wanting to use Maplewood's Senior Transportation.

I may have been the first to use........or  one of the first.  Irene Dunsavage had conferred with Cathy Rowe over the problem some of us like me were having with van access and egress.  Jean is always helpful as he could be but that small running board on the van and lack of a steady hand-hold caused difficulties.

The step stool Cathy purchased is twice the width of that running board so the  foot can be placed upon it. The surface gives better traction than previously  Also there is a horizontal arm on one side that can  used to better gain purchase.  I think the device is reversible so the metal arm can be used by either one's left or right arm.

Device is light weight and certainly a good purchase.

author said:
 I may have been the first to use........or  one of the first.  Irene Dunsavage had conferred with Cathy Rowe over the problem some of us like me were having with van access and egress.  Jean is always helpful as he could be but that small running board on the van and lack of a steady hand-hold caused difficulties.
The step stool Cathy purchased is twice the width of that running board so the  foot can be placed upon it. The surface gives better traction than previously  Also there is a horizontal arm on one side that can  used to better gain purchase.  I think the device is reversible so the metal arm can be used by either one's left or right arm.

Thank you so much for the feedback!  I am glad that the new device worked well for you.  My main concern was stability of the device as one was transferring from the stool to the vehicle.  I am glad this was not a problem for you.  While this certainly seems to be an improvement over what we had previously, it still does not provide an accessible vehicle for those who can't handle stairs at all.  Hopefully, the town will look into purchasing an ADA compliant vehicle in the near future. 

joan_crystal said:

author said:
 Thank you so much for the feedback!  I am glad that the new device worked well for you.  My main concern was stability of the device as one was transferring from the stool to the vehicle.  I am glad this was not a problem for you.  While this certainly seems to be an improvement over what we had previously, it still does not provide an accessible vehicle for those who can't handle stairs at all.  Hopefully, the town will look into purchasing an ADA compliant vehicle in the near future. 

Joan,

I am no whiz at stair climbing.  After a major problem with a bulging disc,  where the EMT's had to carry me down a flight of stairs while I was wrapped like  giant hot dog.........and a heart attack,  at least I got to sit in the carry chair on that one...........the body simply lacks the strength it once had.  Plus maybe that is simply a function of getting old.

After placing one foot fully on the stool platform,  with Jean there to prevent falls,  the next step literally as you say is to place the stronger leg into the vehicle.This becomes the " boosting unit' so to speak to enter the bus

If that leg lacks the strength then truly more of a mechanical lift device is needed.

I don't need it but I have taken that kneeling bus provided by either the State or County.

For those seniors who did need it ...........it was quite handy.

You are of course correct.........a Senior transport vehicle should be suited to Senior use.

I just received the following information regarding the senior studio classes:

Acrylic, watercolor and sculpture classes will be offered at a $120 price for a total of eight (8) two and a half hour (2 1/2) sessions. In order to be able to run the classes there will be a minimum of 10 people sign up and maximum of 15 people.

YOU MUST SIGN UP ONLINE http://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/ OR THROUGH MICHELLE WESLEY AT THE SENIOR CENTER 973-763-0750 BEFORE SESSIONS BEGIN.
CLASSES MUST BE PAID IN FULL ON FIRST DAY OF CLASS OR BEFORE ($120)

* Acrylic classes will begin Monday - September 9th - 10:00am-12:30pm
* Watercolor classes will begin Monday -September 9th - 1:00pm - 3:30pm
​* Sculpture classes will begin Wednesday- September 11th - 10:30am - 1:00pm
* There will be no Class on Rash Hashanah September 30th *

September, 2019 Events Calendar from SOMA Two Towns For All Ages:

General Information

Go to our website for detailed and up-to-date information

www.SOMATwotownsforallages.org

Update on the Baird Classes

With the Baird Center undoing its renovation, classes have been relocated. Robin Webber’s fitness classes are at the Maplewood Senior Center. Residents of both towns are welcome to sign up for any of the 18 fitness classes offered! For a full list, go to the Health & Fitness tab atwww.SOMATwoTownsforAllAges.org

SOMA on The Move Starts walking this month!

SOMA on the Move is a series of maps to help get people walking around our towns, including Art Walks, Historic Buildings, and War Memorials to name a few. Some routes will be as short as a mile, others over 3 miles. The maps will be published over the next few months and can be obtained at South Orange Village Offices, the Maplewood Senior Center, or by emailing SOMA2towns@gmail.com. The first map, “The Village Art Trail” will be released on September 13 with a guided walk starting at the Baird at 10 am. The second, “The Maplewood Village Walk” will be available at the Maplewood Art Walk and Music Festival on September 22.

Design the Life You Love

Design the Life You Love After 65 is a workshop series by Birsel + Seck, a design and innovation studio, that is supported by a grant from The Scan Foundation, devoted to transforming care for older adults and encouraging independence and preserving dignity. They will hold 2 workshops in September:

Design The Health You Love After 65

· Wednesday, September 25th, 2019, 10 am-2 pm (including lunch, breaks and time to socialize)

· The Village Apartments (110 Vose Ave, South Orange)

Design The Retirement You Love After 65

· Friday, September 27th, 2019, 10 am-2 pm(including lunch, breaks and time to socialize)

· Maplewood Senior Center

Space is limited space and a survey must be completed beforehand. Participants must commit to stay for the full session. Interested? Contact Meltem Parlak at meltem@birselplusseck.com or call (973) 433-6955.

Events By The Day:

Wednesday, September 4

Senior Picnic, Maplewood Pool, noon – 3 pm

· $10, call (973) 763-0750 to rsvp

· Raindate September 5

Wednesday at the Movies, South Orange Public Library, 1 pm

· First Man

Thursday, September 5

Maplewood Greenhouse space sign-up, Town Hall, 6 - 7 pm

· Sign-in sheet available at 4:00 pm. Allocation of spaces in the order in which applicants have signed in begins at 6:00 pm. Seasonal rental fee: $30.00.

Maplewood Garden Club, Maplewood Main Library, 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

· Horticulturist Steven Kristoph will present “Great Plantings for Small Gardens,” discussing which small trees, shrubs, and perennials are best to create an eye-catching and sustainable small garden. Native plants will be available for sale.

Saturday, September 7

The 13th Annual Health Fair, South Orange Fire House, 10 am - 2 pm

· Come for a full range of health screenings and information, including eye & hearing screening, Reiki, osteoporosis screening, stroke risk assessment, blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, respiratory screening, spinal analysis, Hepatitis B & C blood draw, injury control, nutrition education, poisoning education, blood donations, connections to social services.

Dog days of Summer, Maplewood Community Pool,11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

· This town-wide, free event is open to all residents — and their dogs.

RENT Party Picnic, Maplecrest Park, noon - 8 pm

· Join the RENT Party for their annual picnic, concert and fundraiser for our local food pantries

Tuesday, September 10

Adult Health Screening, Maplewood Town Hall, 10 am - noon

Caregiver Support group, Morrow Church, 9:30 - 11 am

· Contact @MorrowChurch.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">caregivers@MorrowChurch.org or (973) 763-7676 for details

Wednesday, September 11

Maplewood Senior Club, Maplewood Senior Center, 10 am

Creative Writing Workshop, South Orange Public Library, 1 pm

Adult Health Screening, Hilton Branch Library, 3:30-5 pm

Read Around the World (Algeria), Maplewood Main Library, 7 pm

· “The Meursault Investigation,” by Kamel Daoud

Thursday, September 12

SOPL Lecture Series, South Orange Library, 1 pm

· Speaker: Eugene Lieber, Lecturer and Professor Emeritus of History at Essex County College

· Topic: The New Deal and Its Relevance to Today

Classic & Contemporary Bookclub, Maplewood Main, 7 - 8:30 pm

· “A Streetcar Named Desire,” by Tennessee Williams.

Opening Reception: Mounds Piles & Massings, Seton Hall University’s Walsh Gallery, 5 – 9 pm

· The Pierro Gallery is pleased to collaborate with the Walsh Gallery at Seton Hall on a new exhibition curated by South Orange resident and member of the SO Arts Advisory Council, Greg Leshé. The exhibition takes place September 9 – October 10, 2019.

· The Walsh Gallery is open Mon – Fri, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm.

Friday, September 13

SOMA on the Move, The Baird, 10 am

· Join us for the South Orange Village Art Trail! Starting at the Baird parking lot at 10 am, we will have give aways, refreshments and a guided tour by SO Arts Council members.

Brain Health Workshop, Maplewood Senior Center,10-11 am or 11:30 am-12:30 pm

· Free but registration required. Call (973) 763-0750 to reserve your spot.

Saturday, September 14

Yarn and Fiber Arts Group, Maplewood Main Library, 10 am - noon

· A gathering for people who knit, crochet, quilt, sew, embroider or do other creative things with yarn or fabric.

Art & Music Reception: Sarah Petruziello, Maplewood Main Library, 3-4 pm

· Sarah Petruziello creates portrait and self-portrait drawings and art works on paper primarily using graphite pencil on Strathmore Bristol or Arches watercolor paper.

Sunday, September 15

Play Day South Orange, South Orange Village, 1 – 6 pm

· Back for its 6th incredible play-filled year, Play Day is the Village’s largest public event and features more than 10 Play Areas, many sponsored by generous local organizations and companies. Join the fun and relax at the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages tent.

· Rain date is Sunday, September 22.

Horseshoe Crabs: A Fascinating Conservation Study, Durand-Hedden House, 2 pm

· We hardly give a thought to these odd relatives of spiders when we see them on the beach at the Jersey Shore. But they actually are valuable 300-million-year-old living fossils.

Women's Multicultural High Tea, The Woodland, 4-6pm

· This free event brings together women from all faiths and backgrounds to share our kaleidoscope of traditions with food, music, stories and celebration.

· The event is free, but seating is limited and everyone must have a ticket. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-multicultural-high-tea-tickets-66972032151

· Also participating are local vendors with jewelry, clothing, books and more.

Monday, September 16

Embracing Aging: Finding Your Path to Aging Well, Village Apartments, 110 Vose Ave., 1 - 2 pm

· Come and learn about how you can find your own path to aging well and resources available to help along the way by Rebecca Abenante, Healthy Aging Coordinator of the Geriatric Assessment Center at Atlantic Health System.

· Seating is limited. Reserve your space by calling (973) 518-0993

Book Discussion Group, South Orange Public Library, 7:30 pm

· "The Signature of All Things" by Elizabeth Gilbert

Tuesday, September 17

Lake Hopatcong Lunch Cruise

· $63 per person

· Contact Michelle at (973) 763-0750

Wednesday, September 18

Wednesday at the Movies, South Orange Public Library, 1 pm

· “The Public”

Thursday, September 19

SOPL Lecture Series, South Orange Library, 1 pm

· Speaker: Andy Lehren, NBC News Investigative Reporter

· Topic: Current Investigation

Friday & Saturday, September 20 & 21

The Strollers Set to Host Two Nights of Fundraising Fun, The Woodland, 7-10 pm

· Bingo Night on Friday, 7 - 10 pm. Admission is $5 and includes 3 cards. Daubers and additional cards may be purchased.

· Saturday, 7 - 10 pm - An Evening of Line Dancing to an eclectic mix of Western and other popular music. $10 per person. A professional instructor will demonstrate moves.

Sunday, September 22

Maplewood Village Art Walk, Maplewood Ave, 11 am – 4 pm

· Enjoy art from local artists and vendors.

· See art work from the Senior art classes

· Get a map for our new “SOMA on the Move” walking program.

Tuesday, September 24

Caregiver Support group, Morrow Church, 9:30 - 11 am

Essex County Senior Wellness Day, Codey Arena, 10 am - 2 pm

· Enjoy this annual event by Essex County Division of Senior Services.

· Want a ride? Call (973) 763-0750

Wednesday, September 25

Design the Health You Love After 65, Village Apartments,110 Vose Ave, 10 am- 2 pm

· Come join us for a Design the Life You Love After 65 workshop to identify and think creatively about your unique needs and wants for your post-retirement and health. We have limited space, so we appreciate your quick response! Participants must commit to stay for the full session. If you are interested, please email Meltem Parlak at meltem@birselplusseck.com or call (973) 433-6955.

· The Design the Life You Love After 65 will be 3 -4 hours (including lunch, breaks and time to socialize)

Creative Writing Workshop, South Orange Public Library, 1 pm

Holland Ridge Farm Trip, 9:30- 3:30

· save your space by calling (973) 763-0750

· Transportation free, pay at entrance

Thursday, September 26

SOPL Lecture Series, South Orange Library, 1pm

· Speaker: Corey Mead, Author and Associate Professor of English at Baruch College, City University of New York

· Topic: His book, "The Lost Pilots"

How to Run a Meeting, Maplewood Main Library, 7 pm

· Learn how to run a productive meeting for your organization or club that will leave members with a sense of accomplishment Learn Robert's Rules of Order, meeting procedures, and bylaw and agenda formulation from two experienced parliamentarians.

Friday, September 27

Design the Retirement You Love After 65, Maplewood Senior Center, 10 am - 2 pm

· Come join us for a Design the Life You Love After 65 workshop to identify and think creatively about your unique needs and wants for your post-retirement and health. We have limited space, so we appreciate your quick response! Participants must commit to stay for the full session. If you are interested, please email Meltem Parlak at meltem@birselplusseck.com or call (973) 433-6955.

· The Design the Life You Love After 65 will be 3 -4 hours (including lunch, breaks and time to socialize)

Maplewood Flu Shot Clinic Schedule for 2019:

October 16th 10 am at Town Hall

October 18th 10 am At Maplewood Senior Housing, 564 Irvington Avenue

October 18th 1 pm at Maplewood Senior Center

October 19th Noon at Town Hall

I just took a look at the Senior Programs Section of the Maplewood Township Official Website and found it so inaccurate and out of date that I ended up sending in an SDL Portal comment pointing out the inaccuracies.  At the present time, please do not rely on its contents.  I will post if/when the material has been updated/corrected.

Thank you so much to the town official responsible.  The senior programs page on the official town website is now substantively accurate and up to date.  Please consult it for information on senior transportation, fitness classes, senior club activities and other items that you may not see on this thread.  If you still cannot find the information you are looking for, post here or PM and I will do my best to get the information you need and get back to you as quickly as possible. 

Tuesdays from 6 to 7 pm at the Woodland:

September 24 - October 29
Ever wanted to have the quick wit of comedians on stage, or wanted to be able to think on your feet better, or just want to relax and have fun? Then Improv is your ticket. Anyone can learn to improvise! In a safe and fun environment we teach these skills using theatre games and improvisation techniques. Students will learn the basics of comedy improvisation and they’ll enhance other skills too such as impromptu speaking skills, listening skills, and being in the moment. Natalie Picoe and master improviser Joe De Gise II will be teaching the class. For more information about the class: visit http://www.hopeandwondertheater.org or call the Maplewood Recreation Department (973)763-4202.

If you go to the Art and Music Walk in Maplewood Village (Maplewood Avenue, Baker Street, Highland Place) this Sunday September 22, 2019 from 11 am - 5 pm, please stop by the SOMA Two Towns For All Ages booth to see work by Senior Studio artists, learn about programs and services of interest to seniors, let us know your own needs and concerns regarding aging in place in our community, and pick up the first in our new series of self guiding walking tour maps.  This one features an art tour of South Orange.  Hope to see you there.

Senior Property Tax Freeze Workshop

Wednesday, October 2

Maplewood Town Hall

10:30am

In conjunction with the offices of Assemblywoman Mila Jasey &

Assemblyman John McKeon, the NJ Division of Taxation will

speak about the Senior Tax Freeze and answer your questions about this important program.

You may be eligible if:

1. Your income did not exceed $87,268 in 2017 and $89,013 in 2018

2. You are 65 as of 12/31/2017, or receive federal SS disability benefits.

3. You lived in New Jersey continuously for at least the last 10 years

4. You owned and lived in your current home for at least the last 3 years.

5. You fully paid the property taxes due on your home.

If you already have your tax booklet, bring it with you.

If not, blank booklets will be available.

For more information, or to check on the status of your application, visit

www.njtaxation.org or call (800) 882-6597

joan_crystal said:

The Maplewood Township Committee has just voted to create a Maplewood Seniors Advisory Committee (Ordinance #2844-16). Full text of the ordinance is available on-line at the official town website. At the same time, Maplewood, along with SO, is moving ahead with the Age Friendly Cities initiative (branded as SOMA Two Towns For All Ages), placing initial emphasis on infrastructure, community inclusion, and communication improvements; then moving on to other Senior-related issues. Maplewood and SO will be sharing a project manager, employed by Maplewood but funded jointly, whose primary responsibility will be to address the needs of seniors in our community. Both groups will be working to find ways to make it easier for Seniors to remain in our community as our financial, health, and social circumstances change with age. Maplewood has begun expanding programs aimed at Seniors that are being offered through both the Recreation Department and the Health Department. The town's zoning official and welfare director are also being brought in to work on Senior issues within their area of specialty.

There is so much that needs to be done in this area. Senior now or senior to be, please think of the programs, policies, resources, services you would like to see in place to help you remain in town now and in the future. Share them below. No idea is too big or too small. In fact the small ones are apt to be the easiest to accomplish. Please post your ideas here and lets have a discussion that could result in making life better for all of us.

If you are looking to get involved more directly, the local steering committee of the Age Friendly Cities Initiative is looking to get as many Seniors and providers or services to Seniors involved as possible. Please send a PM if you would like to participate and I will pass your contact information on to the program's interim coordinator.

I'm wondering if this is something still alive in 2019?

reservationgirl said:

I'm wondering if this is something still alive in 2019?

Oh, originally this post said 2017! 

It is very much still alive.  The Maplewood Seniors Advisory Committee was created by town ordinance and serves a means for the local senior community to be heard on a variety of local issues.  We meet monthly at the Senior Center to discuss programs, services, and ordinances both existing and prospective which impact seniors (and everyone else).  In addition to eleven voting members appointed by the township committee (we currently have a vacancy, if interested please PM me for information on how to apply), non-voting members include Cathy Rowe from SOMA Two Towns For All Ages (the age friendly initiative of Maplewood and South Orange), the TC member designated as liaison to the committee at the annual TC reorganization meeting (currently Dean Dafis) and representatives from the health, recreation, welfare departments and from the library.  Members of the community are invited to attend our meetings which are open to the public.  There is a period at the start of the meeting during which members of the public can address us on whatever senior-related issues are of concern to them.  Beware, unlike at TC meetings, members of the public attending often find themselves drawn into what ever discussions the committee is holding.  We also have scheduled meet the seniors advisory committee events, usually on weekends, where members of the public can ask questions and raise issues in a more informal setting.  

October, 2019

Go to our website for detailed and up-to-date information: www.SOMATwotownsforallages.org

The new issue of the SOMA Two Towns for All Ages Newsletter is available on the website under the publications tab

The Senior Forum

All residents age 60+ are invited to attend the Senior Forum on Sunday, October 27, 2-5pm at SOPAC. This forum will feature idea sharing and discussion for the next steps in our age-friendly efforts. We will use a round-robin set up, with a different topic at every table. We will make it fun with door prizes, raffles and refreshments as we brainstorm for making South Orange and Maplewood truly two towns for all ages! RSVP to (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2Towns@gmail.com and tell us which 3 topics you are most interested in (subject to change based on responses and interest):

1. Community Participation
  2. Transportation
  3. Housing issues
  4. Health & Wellness
  5. Culture and Education
  6. Accessibility
  7. Pedestrian safety/walkability
  8. Other? Let us know.

Anyone registered by October 18 will be entered in a raffle to win a SOPAC membership!

Great American Short Stories: A Seminar Style Class for Lovers of Literature

Thursday, October 17 & 31, & November 14, 11am-12:30pm at the Maplewood Main Library

Explore compelling short stories by Wharton, Cather, and Fitzgerald. We’ll focus on key aspects and critical analysis of the stories as well as your insights and questions. Participants are expected to attend all 3 sessions. Free but registration required. Go to https://shortstoriesseminar.eventbrite.com or call the library at (973) 762-1622.

On Tuesday, October 29, SOMA Two Towns for All Ages is hosting a double-header on options for technology and help in your home with 2 speakers: Home Heart Beats will talk about a range of technology solutions to help meet your changing needs in your home. Umbrella is a private, member organization that makes it easier to live independently by offering help at an hourly rate. After an annual membership fee of $200, the cost is always $20/hr. The program will start with lunch at noon and the speakers to follow, so RSVP by October 25 to (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2towns@gmail.com.

LVA Tutor Training

October 15, 17, 22, 24, 29, 31, 9am-12 at Hilton Branch

Literacy Volunteers of America trains volunteers to teach adults basic literacy and English for speakers of other languages.

FREE durable medical equipment

Are you in need of medical equipment to assist with walking or recovery from an injury? The Maplewood Public Health Division provides crutches, wheelchairs, walkers and more.

Please contact the Maplewood Public Health Division at (973) 762-8120

Recurring:

Tuesdays:

Caregivers Support Group, Morrow Memorial Church, 9:30am

Digital Device Clinic, Hilton Branch Library, 5-7pm

Thursdays:

Slavic Club, Seton Hall University, Fahy Hall, Room 236, 6:30pm

Wednesday, October 2

Senior Freeze Tax Workshop, Maplewood Town Hall, 10:30am

• In conjunction with the offices of Assemblywoman Mila Jasey, Assemblyman John McKeon, and Senator Richard Codey, the NJ Division of Taxation will speak about the Senior Tax Freeze and answer your questions about this important program.
  • You may be eligible if:
    • Your income did not exceed $87,268 in 2017 and $89,013 in 2018
    • You are 65 as of 12/31/2017, or receive federal SS disability benefits.
    • You lived in New Jersey continuously for at least the last 10 years
    • You owned and lived in your current home for at least the last 3 years.
    • You fully paid the property taxes due on your home.

Wednesday at the Movies, South Orange Public Library, 1pm

• “The Upside”

Guided Painting Class, The Woodland, 11:15-2:15pm

• $17 includes all supplies
  • Register at (973) 763-0750 or (973) 763-4202

Read Around the world, Maplewood Main Library, 7pm

• (Chile) In the Distance With You by Carla Guelfenbein

Thursday, October 3

Seton Hall’s Slavic Club, Seton Hall University, Fahy Hall Room 236, 6:30pm

• During International Month, Slavic Club will be showing the Polish picture, Cold War
  • Everyone is welcome! Slavic food will be served!

Saturday, October 5

Yarn and Fiber Arts Group, Maplewood Main Library, 10am – noon

• A gathering for people who knit, crochet, quilt, sew, embroider or do other creative things with yarn or fabric. Get feedback & advice. Bring your own supplies. All skill levels are welcome!

Oktoberfest, The Woodland, noon - 8pm

• Entrance to the event is FREE! Food and alcohol will be available for purchase.

Monday, October 7

Computer Class, South Orange Public Library, 10am

Adult Health Screening, Maplewood Main Library, 10:30 am - noon

Plastics or Planet, South Mountain Rehab, 1pm

• Linda Beck & Bill Haskins will discuss how to do yoru part to lessen the impact of plastic
  • Lunch included, rsvp to (973) 763-6391

Maplewood Garden Club, Maplewood Main Library, 7:30 - 9:30pm

• Michael Van Clef, Stewardship Director of Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space, will present “Deer Resistant Native Plants,” explaining how to choose deer resistant plants and protect any native plant from marauding deer.

Tuesday, October 8

Adult Health Screening, Maplewood Town Hall, 10 am – noon.

• Horizon Blue Cross/ Blue Shield will be available to do blood glucose and cholesterol screenings. Fasting is not required.

Wednesday, October 9

NOTE – In observance of Yom Kippur, the Maplewood Senior Club Meeting has been moved to October 16

Thursday, October 10

Classic & Contemporary Book Discussion Group, Maplewood Main Library, 7pm

• Our October title is the contemporary novel City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert

Friday, October 11

Cracking Up In Rahway All-Female Comedy Festival, 1877 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood, 8pm

Saturday, October 12

Community Coalition on Race : Celebrating Integration, The Woodland, 7pm

• Join us for our annual fundraising dinner-Celebrating Integration, an evening of food, fun, dancing, auction, and, best of all, an evening to acknowledge our honorees for their commitment to intentional integration and true inclusion. It's a fun night and a great way to mingle with friends and neighbors who support the cause of integration in our community!
  • For tickets and information, go to: www.communitycoalitiononrace.org/events

Maplewood Green Day, Maplewood Memorial Park, 11-4pm

• Organic and local food, Electric Car Show, Eco-friendly vendors and presentations

Sunday, October 13 - Saturday, October 26

InterACT Theatre Productions Presents “The House on Haunted Hill” at the Burgdorff Center,

Fridays & Saturdays 7:30pm, Sundays at 4pm.

Monday, October 14

Transportation Class with NJtips/Rutgers

• If you missed Louis Hoffman’s classes last April, come learn about public transportation
  • 9:30am at the South Orange Library or 11:30 am at the Maplewood Senior Center.

Classic & Contemporary Book Discussion Group, Maplewood Main Library, 7pm

• The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

Tuesday, October 15

Deadline for Voter Registration and Changes

• For more information contact the League of Women Voters of NJ at (609) 394-3303 or (973) 762-1169, or your town clerk's office

Wednesday, October 16

Field trip to the Newark Museum

• NJTips@Rutgers returns with a field trip to the Newark Museum. Learn how to take public transportation to and from this local gem with Travel Instructor Louis Hoffman.
  • Leaving at 10:30 am from S.O. Train Station, we will take the train and light rail and enjoy time in the museum. FREE transportation and museum entry - bring money for lunch.
  • Register: (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2towns@gmail.com.

Maplewood Senior Club, Maplewood Senior Center, 10am

• Interested in joining? Call Michelle at (973) 763-0750

Flu Clinic, Town Hall, 10-noon

• Plus prescription brown bag drug review. Bring your medications to be reviewed and learn how your medications can interact with each other.
  • flu shot free for residents 65+, all others, $20.00

Wednesday at the Movies, South Orange Public Library, 1pm

• “The Best of Enemies"

NOTE: “Heads Up Seniors” at the library has been postponed until November

Thursday, October 17

South Orange Senior Circle Meeting, SOPAC, 11am

• The Senior Circle has a new meeting place at SOPAC, in the loft.

Friday, October 18

Medicare Information & Overview, Maplewood Senior Center, 1pm

• Representatives from the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) Administrator for Essex County will answer your questions about Medicare and health insurance, including changes to Medicare Advantage benefits.
  • Flu shots will be available beforehand at 12:30 pm

Saturday, October 19

Tori Erstwhile & The Montys, Maplewood Main Library, 3pm

• Humor songwriter & novelist, V.C. (Tori) Chickering will talk about her lyrics and novel writing process, interwoven with original songs performed by her band, Tori Erstwhile & The Montys.

Stroke Assessment with RWJ Barnabas Health & Flu Clinic, Town Hall, noon - 2pm

• Stroke Assessment free, flu shots free for residents 65+, $20 for all others

Saturday, October 19 – Sunday, October 20

South Next, SOPAC

SouthNEXT brings together local artists, speakers, and performers to catalyze the kind of “creative collisions” that spark new ideas and inspire new solutions to some of the most pressing communal challenges of our times. A fun and thought-provoking weekend of activities, SouthNEXT is pleased to offer complimentary tickets to attendees. For full schedule and tickets, go to https://southnextnj.com

Sunday, October 20

Diwali Fest NJ 2019, The Woodland, 12:30 – 6:30pm

• Diwali Fest NJ is a grand celebration of South Asian Arts and Culture.
  • The festival is FREE and open to the entire community, but reserve tickets in advance at : www.Diwalifestnj.org

Theodore Roosevelt Returns to Maplewood, Jefferson School 2pm, then Durand-Hedden House

• Don’t miss Theodore Roosevelt’s resplendent return to Maplewood, sponsored by the Durand-Hedden House. Teddy roamed the hills and meadows of our town as a boy exploring nature while visiting his Uncle Cornelius’s estate. Expertly played by historic interpreter Joe Wiegand, Theodore Roosevelt will be coming back to reconnect with Maplewood and vividly share stories of his life, family and presidency.

Monday, October 21

Staging Your Home, Maplewood Main Library, 7pm

• Learn simple tricks for getting your home looking its best before you put it on the market.

Book Discussion Group, South Orange Public Library, 7 - 8:30 pm

Wednesday, October 23

Maplewood Senior Bus Shore Trip

• Call (973) 763 - 0750 to reserve your seat

Thursday, October 24

Emergency Preparedness, Hilton Branch, 7pm

• Have a plan for yourself and your family, have what you need, and go into winter prepared for any possibility. With Candice Davenport, Maplewood Public Health Nursing Supervisor.

Saturday, October 26

Prescription Drug Take Back Day, Maplewood Police Dept 10 am – 2pm

Thursday - Saturday, October 24-26

Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, SOPAC, 8pm

• Seton Hall University’s College of Communication and the Arts presents a production of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, the classic comedy of love where opposites do attract. Benedict battles Beatrice with wit and humor until they both come together to save Hero’s reputation and her betrothal to Claudio.
  • Tickets are FREE.

Sunday, October 27

POW! - My Life in 40 Feasts, Words Bookstore, 1-1:30 pm

• Book Signing by Chef Jesse, from Senior Fitness Day

The Senior Forum, SOPAC, 2pm

• Come and share your ideas and concerns to help plan the next steps in our age-friendly initiative.
  • Register by calling (973) 558-0863 or email SOMA2towns@gmail.com.
  • Raffles and door prizes, anyone who registers by October 18 will be entered to win a SOPAC membership!

Tuesday, October 29

Homeheart Beats & Umbrella, SOPAC, noon

• Come for lunch, hear a presentation on technology that can help you make your home safer and learn about Umbrella, a membership organization that connects seniors to people who can do home repairs and help around the hosue.
  • Free but Rsvp by October 25 to (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2towns@gmail.com.

Foreign Film Series, South Orange Public Library, 6:15pm

• “Black Orpheus” (1959), winner of Academy Award for Best Foreign Film with commentary by film scholar Gerard Amsellem.

Lionel Hampton Big Band/SHU Jazz ‘n the Hall Series, SOPAC, 7:30pm

• Senior Citizens - $15

Wednesday, October 30

Halloween Party, Maplewood Senior Center, 11:30am

Navigating Medicare, Maplewood Main Library, 7pm

• Learn about the changes for 2020 and your options. Helpful for both new enrollees and those already enrolled. Presented by the State Health Insurance Assistance Program.

Wednesdays at the Movies, South Orange Public Library, 1pm

• “Rocketman”

Garden State Philharmonic Open Rehearsal, The Woodland, 2 – 5pm; 7-10pm

• All Mozart Concert

Looking ahead:

Saturday, November 16

Giants of Jazz - Honoring Harold Mabern, SOPAC, 8pm

• $10 discount for senior citizens
  • Pre-show reception at 7pm in the loft, rsvp to SOMA2towns@gmail.com or (973) 558-0863

If you haven't received an electronic copy of the Housing Survey sent in an email blast from the town, Please get a hard copy at either library, senior center, or town hall, complete and submit.  So many seniors have identified housing and housing-related issues as the single most important factor in determining whether they can age in place in their own home.  This survey is intended to identify the specific  problems seniors are facing so the town can plan to better meet these housing needs/issues.  

Rutgers Mass Transit Training Class and Trip to Newark Museum

PART 1: Class: Monday October 14, 2019

Pick one class location:

South Orange Library at 9:30 AM

Maplewood Main Library at 10:30 pm

PART 2: Trip: Wednesday October 16, 2019

10:30 AM – 2:30 PM

Learn to take the Train or Bus to get to the

Newark Museum!

Class participants will get more information

about where and when to meet for the trip.

Please join us for a class at your library and a transit trip to the

Newark Museum…

Funded in conjunction with SOMA Two Towns For All Ages and

by a grant from Federal Transit Administration & NJ TRANSIT.

To Register: Contact Louis Hoffman

Email: lhoffman@njtip.rutgers.edu

Call or Text Message: (201) 616-8623

Email received from Cathy Rowe this morning:

There is a lot going on in the next week!

Folk Fridays at Ethical Culture Resume Tonight!

Everyone is invited to join this Sing-along & jam session. Held the second Friday of the month (OCTOBER - MAY) bring acoustic string and rhythm instruments, join in playing, singing, or listening.. Bring some refreshments to share.

Ethical Culture Society

516 Prospect St, Maplewood (corenr of Parker & Prospect)

7:30 PM to 9:30 PM

Questions? Email lnovemsky@comcast.net

“The House on Haunted Hill” by InterACT Theatre Productions

Sunday, October 13 - Saturday, October 26, Fridays & Saturdays 7:30pm, Sundays at 4pm. Tickets $14-20 online: http://www.interactproductions.org; $25 at the door

Transportation Class with NJtips/Rutgers

If you missed Louis Hoffman’s classes last April, come learn about public transportation on Monday, October 14: 9:30am at the South Orange Library or 11:30 am at the Maplewood Senior Center.

Field trip to the Newark Museum, Wednesday, October 16

NJTips@Rutgers returns with a field trip to the Newark Museum. Learn how to take public transportation to and from this local gem with travel Instructor Louis Hoffman. · Leaving at 10:30 am from S.O. Train Station, we will take the train and light rail and enjoy time in the museum. FREE transportation and museum entry - bring money for lunch. MUST REGISTER by Tuesday: (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2towns@gmail.com.

Flu Clinic, Maplewood Town Hall, Wednesday, October 16, 10-noon

Flu shot free for residents 65+, all others $20.00. Plus prescription brown bag drug review. Bring your medications to be reviewed and learn how your medications can interact with each other.

Medicare Information & Overview, Maplewood Senior Center, Friday, October 18th 1pm

Representatives from the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) Administrator for Essex County will answer your questions about Medicare and health insurance, including changes to Medicare Advantage benefits.

Flu shots will be available beforehand at 12:30 pm

Stroke Assessment with RWJ Barnabas Health & Flu Clinic, Saturday, October 19 Maplewood Town Hall, noon - 2pm. Stroke Assessment free, flu shots free for residents 65+, $20 for all others.

South Next, SOPAC, Saturday, October 19 – Sunday, October 20

SouthNEXT brings together local artists, speakers, and performers to catalyze the kind of “creative collisions” that spark new ideas and inspire new solutions to some of the most pressing communal challenges of our times. This year, the South NEXT Festival is free! (except for a $7 special fee for Sunday's special Dolores Huerta session from 1 - 4pm). Saturday's theme is "Hope in a time of Anxiety" and Sunday's theme is "Social Justice" and what we can do. For full schedule and tickets, go to https://southnextnj.com

Recurring:

Maplewood Memorial Park Conservancy is looking for volunteers for “WEEDING WEDNESDAYS”. Meet them in the park between 9:00 &11:00 AM on Wednesday mornings. TEXT 732.261.4303 for exact location or look for the pile of weeds

Reminder:  Flu Clinic tomorrow at town hall starting at 10:00 am.  No charge for Maplewood residents on Medicare.  Others $20.  Also available at 1 pm at the Maplewood Senior Center on Friday, October 18th and on Saturday October 19th at noon at town hall.

Phones are back up and working at the Senior Center and the Community Center.  Problem was related to power outages followed by generator kicking in.  Fix has been found should this particular problem occur in the future.

During the time Hilton Branch Library is closed for remediation, the Main Library will temporarily offer additional hours.
Beginning today, Main Library will remain open until 9 pm.Starting this Sunday, October 27, Main Library will have Sunday hours from 1 pm to 4 pm (with the exception of November 10).Regular hours at Main Library will resume when the Hilton Branch reopens.
All upcoming programs have been moved to Main Library, and Hilton Branch holds may be picked up at Main.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility during this time.
Questions may be directed to Library Director, Sarah Lester, at 973-762-1622, extension 5003. For updates please go to www.maplewoodlibrary.org.

From Cathy Rowe:  This year we have the opportunity to vote for three members of our Board of Education. It's an important role, as the BOE is responsible for setting school system policies and managing the superintendent. There are some big projects on the horizon for our community, including the facilities expansion & improvements and the integration plan. On Thursday at 7:30 pm the PTAs along with the League of Women Voters are hosting a candidates forum at the district building on 525 Academy Street. There is also a forum hosted by the Community Coalition on Race next Tuesday, Oct 29th at 7 pm at Marshall School. The BOE campaign of Erin Siders & Thair Joshua has offered to provide volunteers to drive seniors to either forum. Contact sidersjoshuaboe2019@gmail.com.

This was in my email today.  

SOMA Two Towns for All Ages: Senior Forum

It’s been 4 years since South Orange and Maplewood began an age-friendly initiative. Now it’s time to look at what we’ve done and what we need to do next. All South Orange & Maplewood residents age 60+ are invited:

• Sunday, October 27
  • 2 - 5 pm
  • SOPAC Loft (3rd Floor)

Come share your ideas, concerns & suggestions for what comes next. Enjoy door prizes, raffles & refreshments as we brainstorm to make SOMA, truly, two towns for all ages.

Everyone can choose 3 topics to discuss:

1. Community Participation
  2. Transportation
  3. Housing Issues
  4. Health & Wellness
  5. Culture, Education & Recreation
  6. Accessibility
  7. Pedestrian Safety/Walkability
  8. Or…...what else do you think would be important to discuss?

Register by calling (973) 558-0863 or SOMA2towns@gmail.com

**All those who register by October 18 will be entered in a raffle

to win a SOPAC membership!

Day-of registration will begin at SOPAC at 1:30pm

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.