World Series!

mlj said:
once Cespedes and Murphy cooled off, the team did not pick up the slack.

Nobody's picking up the slack... In one of the games they only had two hits, both by one player (Duda) and last night two of the three runs were by one guy, two solo shots by Conforto,,, this is not a championship recipe

I think when you're hitting well the fielding gets better. You play looser if you aren't stressed about every single ball squeaking through when you are confident in your ability to plate some runs.

The one-run leads mess with the pitcher's mind as well as the fielders. When you think you can't make a single mistake you are bound to do so.

How do you let Cespedes finish that at bat? Clearly he couldn't run.

Okay, if the Mets lose this game, I point at this inning that just ended. They get one run in a bases loaded, no out situation?

I agree, jeff, it was time to bring in someone to hit for Cespedes. Maybe they were hoping he'd slap one over the fence and limp around the bases? The way he was moving, a line drive single to the outfield could have turned into an out at first base.

If Harvey wins this game tonight I say let him have like four months' rest.

Right, mrincredible. I think they were thinking Kirk Gibson. But Cespedes couldn't even make it to first base.

Har-vey!!!!

Let him finish?

I say yes.

Oh man. Here we go.

Oh man oh man oh man.

Wow. Defense fails them yet again.

Three blown saves must be a record, even if it hasn't been his fault

. https://youtu.be/h3WzmKISWMc

Congratulations, Mets fans, on a memorable season, and thanks for the vicarious enjoyment of these threads.

mrincredible said:
Okay, if the Mets lose this game, I point at this inning that just ended. They get one run in a bases loaded, no out situation?
I agree, jeff, it was time to bring in someone to hit for Cespedes. Maybe they were hoping he'd slap one over the fence and limp around the bases? The way he was moving, a line drive single to the outfield could have turned into an out at first base.

I stand by this statement. They shoulda scored more runs with the bases loaded and nobody out in the sixth. Instead they came away with one on a sacrifice fly.

It's hard not to be angry about how they lost a couple of the games including last night, but it was a good season and better than anyone predicted.

The better team probably won but, but, but..

In an alternate universe, Met fans arw celebrating a World Series victory where:

1. Yoenis Cepsedes made a stunning catch in the first inning of game 1.
  2. Familia notched three saves.
  3. Daniel Murphy killed a Royals rally in inning 8 of game 4 with a nifty double play.
  4. Lucas Duda hit a grand slam in the sixth inning of the decisive game 5 and threw out Hosmer at the plate to end the game.

Enjoy, alternate universe Met fans.

All coulda been. Easily

mrincredible said:
In an alternate universe, Met fans arw celebrating a World Series victory where:

1. Yoenis Cepsedes made a stunning catch in the first inning of game 1.
  2. Familia notched three saves.
  3. Daniel Murphy killed a Royals rally in inning 8 of game 4 with a nifty double play.
  4. Lucas Duda hit a grand slam in the sixth inning of the decisive game 5 and threw out Hosmer at the plate to end the game.
Enjoy, alternate universe Met fans.

Forget 1 through 5. Had Murphy or Cespedes batted .200 instead of .150 each - one well timed hit each - two losses might have been wins.

Meant fantasy items 1 through 4.

Fair enough, bub. My point was how a few specific plays came so close to changing the outcome.

Maybe they pull Cespedes in the 6th last night and Lagares gets a single ahead of Duda's sac fly, fr'instance.

bub said:
Forget 1 through 5. Had Murphy or Cespedes batted .200 instead of .150 each - one well timed hit each - two losses might have been wins.

This is why baseball breaks our hearts.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.