What to read next?

reviving thread! Post some of your recent favorites please!

The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra!  Loved it!

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

Career of Evil

The Nightingale

_Any Human Heart_ by William Boyd

_The Sisters Brothers_  by Patrick de Witt

_Edward Hopper in Vermont_ by Bonnie Tocher Clause (non fiction)

_Barley Patch_ by Edward Murnane

_The Martian_ by Andy Weir

What about A Little Life? I read it recently and was kind of haunted by it and not in a good way. It is beautifully written but reminded me of Kite Runner where it was an amazing and beautifully written book that I wish I hadnt read. Anyone else read A Little Life and have a reaction to share?

I read "A Little Life" a while ago.  It was well written, although a bit long in places, and I don't regret reading it.

However, it was by far the most depressing book I have ever read in a long time.  Worse than "A Fault in Our Stars" "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult, "A Fine Balance" by Mistry.  The only book which I have read and found more depressing  was "Sophie's Choice".  Don't read this one in public.  It is also a disturbing book, with themes of child sex abuse, suicide, cutting, domestic violence, which make it a difficult read a tunes,

I would recommend reading it, but be aware its not a light read.

I am currently reading "Deep South" by Paul Theroux.  Its a travel log of a man from Mass that goes to the Southern states and talks to the inhabitants (mostly poor and black).  Its very informative about the region.  It compares the poverty we have in our own country vs. the poverty he has seen in places like Namibia and other parts of Africa.  

I also just read "Pirate Hunters" which is about a hunt for a pirate ship.  Going into the book, I thought it would be more about pirates and their history, but the book was mostly about the search and salvage of a 1690's pirate ship.  Still, it was interesting.

Paul Theroux is probably the greatest living travel writer.  You should try The Great Railway Bazaar if you haven't read it.

coughcoughcough said:

What about A Little Life? I read it recently and was kind of haunted by it and not in a good way. It is beautifully written but reminded me of Kite Runner where it was an amazing and beautifully written book that I wish I hadnt read. Anyone else read A Little Life and have a reaction to share?

I plan on reading A Little Life.  IMO, the book has the most striking cover ever.  The face of someone in so much pain it cannot be denied.  

Looking for a good blizzard book.  just finished "the Admission" by Meg Moore.  All caught up on Liane Moriarty and Kate Morton, but something of that class that I can read on the couch while housebound.

What about the new Elizabeth Strout?

I'm a big Theroux fan. Happy Isles of Oceania is one of my favorites.I just read Mary Gaitskill's The Mare and liked it a lot.

i just checked The Mare out of the library today.  felt kind of ambivalent, but i guess i will dig right in

Has anyone started or read the new Yann Martel, "High Mountains of Portugal" yet?  its on my list, after I tackle City on Fire.

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes is amazing. It kept me up all night even though I had an early morning flight to catch.

I stumbled across Girl Waits with Gun and am halfway through and thoroughly charmed.  A little slice of NJ history as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/books/review/girl-waits-with-gun-by-amy-stewart.html

eliz said:

I stumbled across Girl Waits with Gun and am halfway through and thoroughly charmed.  A little slice of NJ history as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/books/review/girl-waits-with-gun-by-amy-stewart.html

I read that one too.  I liked it also.

If you like Julian Barnes, try Flaubert's Parrot. One of my favorites of all time.

I have just started "Fortune Smiles" by Adam Johnson.  This guy is blowing my socks off.  Johnson's writing is innate and effortless while teaching you a thing or two.  You fall into his writing.  Now I know I must read "The Orphan Master's Son."

bookgirl said:

What about the new Elizabeth Strout?

I just finished "My Name is Lucy Barton."  It was depressing, stark, heart breaking and painful.  Most of the book's backdrop is the hospital room of the protagonist, Lucy, and an unexpected visit by her estranged mother.  Somehow Lucy has managed to "survive" her childhood.  Even the physical style of the book leaves no room for the avoidance of Lucy's truth.  There's lots of space on the printed pages around the text.  There's lots of white spaces like the sheets on Lucy's hospital bed.  As seen on the cover, the view from the window of Lucy's hospital room takes in the Chrysler Building, which graces at twilight with its gorgeous lighting.  But that point of view means you are there at Lucy's hospital bed. With that woman, Lucy's mother, at the foot of it.  

Get something uplifting to read when you're done with Lucy Barton.

I am reading Grace by Natashia Deón and do not intend to stop until I finish.

Family insanity: Imagine Me Gone , by Adam Haslett. Pretty amazing family drama told from five points of view.

When Breath Becomes Air.  Written by a neurosurgery resident who is diagnosed with lung cancer.  It's becoming required reading for new medical students. 

I just finished A Little Life.  Looking for something much lighter to read now.  Any good beach read recommendations?

A Man Called Ove is a very touching book and a wonderful character study.  Well worth the read.  I also enjoyed two other books by this author that are available in English:  My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry and Britt Marie Was Here.

jeffl said:

When Breath Becomes Air.  Written by a neurosurgery resident who is diagnosed with lung cancer.  It's becoming required reading for new medical students. 

I read this book too, and it quickly became one of my favorites. 

PetuniaBird said:

I just finished A Little Life.  Looking for something much lighter to read now.  Any good beach read recommendations?

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld.  Fun!

Thank you, bookgirl.  I will check it out.

Sorry if it's been mentioned but just read "Trying to Float - Coming of Age in the Chelsea Hotel" during a long flight and its not only a completely delightful true store by Nicolaia Rips but its her first book, and she is only 18 years old!   Great NY stories of eccentric characters and parents all growing together at the Chelsea.

Bit after Bowie's death I re-watched the movie and read The Man Who Fell to Earth, after finishing that I decided to pick up another Tevis book and am now reading The Hustler.

Because I am fortunate to often find good books in this string, here are a few of my favorite books of the past few months:

Summerlong, Dean Bakopoulos- this chronicles a couple going through a crisis in their marriage over a long hot summer. It was a dark topic but a light read that I really enjoyed.

Our Endless Numbered Days, Claire Fuller- fascinating read about a doomsdayer parent who suddenly takes his daughter into the woods on the ruse of a camping trip and then tells her the world has ended and only the two of them are left. They spend 8 years in the woods before she realizes the truth and heads back to civilization, where her mother has been searching for her.

The One in a Million Boy, Monica Wood- this is a touching story about parents reeling after the sudden death of their elementary-age son and the father coming to know who that son was by connecting to an elderly woman that the son was volunteering with prior to his death.

Everyone Brave is forgiven, Chris Cleave- this is another beautifully written war novel. I was apprehensive of maybe having war fatigue after having enjoyed All the Light We Cannot See and other similar and wonderful books, but this one is worth reading too.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.