What to read next?

@eliz, I am reading Alexandra Fuller's book right now too! I've loved her other memoirs too.

In the mood for some quasi-fluffy short stories so I just downloaded Single, Carefree, Mellow by Katherine Heiny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/books/review-single-carefree-mellow-except-for-that-illicit-affair.html?_r=0

I think the thing I miss most about working (as a librarian) is not having my review journals! I feel so out of the loop about forthcoming books. I tried using goodreads, but yuck! All those romance series that people recommend!

The NPR recs are good. And of course, The Times. ;-)

I read "Girl on the Train". On the plane for 4 hours. Perfect time to finish. I am now reading "the Minituriast". About a woman in Amsterdam during the 1680's. Also getting back to non fiction with Africa-5000 Years of History. Next I will pick up the Jojo Moyes book. I see it at my library all the time.

I usually find lots of books either here, through the NYTimes book review Sunday section or Amazon. I review books on Goodreads, but don't find much there to read.

Loved "don't lets go to the dogs tonight". But didn't read any others. What is the second one called ?

Leaving Before the Rains Come.

I think "leaving" is the third, no? I thought "cocktail hour under the tree of forgetfulness" was the second! Heck, I'll google!

Oh!! Yes! Correct.
http://www.amazon.com/Cocktail-Hour-Under-Tree-Forgetfulness/dp/1594202990

I'm currently reading Beyond Belief - My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill. I wanted to read Going Clear by Lawrence Wright but another friend read this one and said she couldn't put it down, so I decided to dive in. It is definitely compelling reading.

I've also picked up a few books for an upcoming trip - both nonfiction - Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, and Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. I saw the author of the latter on the last Frontline, and wooo, boy, did I go through a box of tissues watching that one. Had to pick up the book when I saw it at Costco. I think I might also pick up The Girl on the Train as a nice light fiction break.

Just finished The Girl on theTrain. It was a very quick read. Guess I expected more,it was just okay.

Quiet is excellent. Being Mortal is supposed to be also, but my book club just rejected it for being insufficiently cheery oh oh

I just read (also in book club) Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She is Nigerian/American and it offers interesting perspectives on cultural differences. Also very funny in places. (It is a novel.)

So many books, so little time! question

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/magazine/cover-to-cover.html?ref=todayspaper

Just finished Nick Hornby's Funny Girl. Sweet, light, funny.

Love Nick Hornsby. A Long Way Down is a favorite.

"1984" by George Orwell. I've read many books over the years but Orwell's 1984 is, by far, the most horrifying. "1984" was published in 1949, sixty-six years ago, yet it is the one book that becomes more timely as it ages. Readers of 1984 could not help but think about its "telescreens" with the news about Samsung's "smart" tv's ability to monitor conversations. Samsung, of course, issued denials. But truth is not the strong suit of any corporation whose goal is to make money.

Bob Braun's Ledger: Testing Spies Admit They Cast a Really Broad and Deep Net
http://www.bobbraunsledger.com/testing-spies-admit-they-cast-a-really-broad-and-deep-net/

Tech Dirt: Samsung's Smart TV's are Collecting and Storing Your Private Conversations
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150206/04532329928/samsungs-smart-tvs-are-collecting-storing-your-private-conversations.shtml

I just finished Elizabeth Street. I can't remember the name of the author but it was a great story about an Italian immigrant experience- a very enjoyable read!

I'm hoping someone can identify a book based on a really lame description. It's fiction. I read it within the last five years or so. The first half is funny, focusing on observations of mundane office life. ("Donuts? There are donuts in the break room?") The second half is more serious. The protagonist has a friend come down with cancer (or some other tragedy). Does this ring a bell for anyone?

@kthnry - was it possibly Then We Came to the End by Jonathan Ferris? http://www.amazon.com/Then-We-Came-End-Novel/dp/031601639X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426882488&sr=8-1&keywords=then+we+came+to+the+end

Yes! Thanks! Did you read it? I thought it was hilarious. He really nailed office culture.

Just read Thank You For Your Service by David Finkel.  Book group chose this, and I was going to skip it because of subject matter (post-war lives of some Iraq war veterans the author had been embedded with).  I dipped into it so I could follow the discussion and was totally hooked.  This is a very fast read, totally engrossing, a trip to a different world that's right here at home.  Also horrifying, of course.  No wonder it is taking the services and the VA a while to gear up to help these guys (and families); hats off to these people, and to all who are working for them.  (no hats off to those who sent them into harm's way less than fully prepared/equipped, and for doubtful purposes)

I highly recommend The Nightingale and Me Before You. Wonderful reads. I see Donna Leon has a new book on the NYTimes list., always enjoy her.

I'm really getting into The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami, about an expedition to Florida in 1527, told from the point of view of a Moroccan slave.

bookgirl said:

Did you read The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach? That was really good.

I'm just finishing up a book that is beautifully written (though I had a bit of trouble getting started with it)--Arcadia by Lauren Groff.

Loved that book.

Oops.  Just realized that this post was from 2012!

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. When I read a review, I decided to skip it because it sounded complicated and "difficult" (protagonist born over and over with varying outcomes). "Had" to read it for book group (moaning, omg, it's 500+ pp), and *loved* it. You get used to the differing plots, come to love the family (well, most of them), and imagine life in a moderately well-to-do English family from 1910? through WWII (with a glimpse or two later). Amazing, vivid writing, way by far the most affecting treatment of the Blitz I've read, for one. Can't wait to read the follow-up, A God in Ruins. Read this book!

(Here's a review of A God in Ruins that also comments on Life After Life, by Jersey boy Tom Perrotta: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/books/review/kate-atkinsons-a-god-in-ruins.html?_r=0 )

Read both Atkinson books. Difficult to read due to changing time frames, etc. The character of Teddy, Ursula's youngest brother, the focus of her second book, is such an amazing portrait of a man. Strong, decent, loving and kind, and tortured! The trajectory of a life lived with too many memories. At the end, I felt sad and worried over who would remember Teddy

Are the books structured the same? But A God in Ruins, is about Teddy rather than Ursula.

I have 41 books on my list for summer. I had eye surgery, so I am off to a slow start, but read the audible of the Erik Larsen book on the Lusitania. I would like to knock Halfoff my list by summer end, but I always end up adding.

What should be on my list for the summer

They are not structured the same. While the new book goes back and forth between past and present in Teddy's life a bit, it's not a series of what-ifs/alternate lives.

I'm reading it now. Kate Atkinson is my absolute favorite writer, though this one isn't grabbing me as much as I hoped it would. I still love her first book the best--Behind the Scenes at the Museum. If you haven't read it, you should (I'm sure I've recommended it earlier in this thread!).

Did anyone read All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews? It is FANTASTIC. I loved it so much.

I'm reading After Perfect. Riches to rags memoir - very juicy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.