What to read next?

@munchies: You should try John Harvey's Charlie Resnick novels. I think you'd like them.

I just read Alice McDermott's latest, Someone, which is recently out in paperback. A friend had read it pre-publication and emailed everyone she knew that they should be sure to get it. The writing is wonderful.

I finished In the Time of the Butterflies not long ago. It was a book club read. I really fell in to it. There is a bit of spanish in it and I know very little but was able to work through that part of it as the story was great. It takes place in 1960's Dominican Republic during their revolution.

I want to read everything Leighan reads. And Melissa h

caboose said:

I just requested that book (Robert Peace) from the library today! Apparently we are not alone in wanting to read it - there is a bit of a wait.

leighan said:

leighan said:

I don't read a lot of non- fiction, but just started "the short and tragic life of Robert peace: a brilliant young man who left Newark for the Ivy League". I can imagine it is going to be heartbreaking.

Just as heartbreaking and confounding as I expected. I'm sitting on my couch, crying.

PetuniaBird said:

leighan said:

leighan said:

I don't read a lot of non- fiction, but just started "the short and tragic life of Robert peace: a brilliant young man who left Newark for the Ivy League". I can imagine it is going to be heartbreaking.

Just as heartbreaking and confounding as I expected. I'm sitting on my couch, crying.

I just finished reading it. It was so sad and so close to home.

I just finished it as well. It was completely absorbing even though you know how it ends. Very sad as well. Hard to believe that such a world of hopelessness, poverty and despair is so close to us, and almost all of us have no idea how the day to day life of our neighborhoods are so opposite from the places that are a 10 minute ride away.

On a lighter note, I also finished The Secret Rooms, by Catherine Bailey about an ancient castle and the family secrets its owners harbor.

I just downloaded Behind the beautiful Forevers, Big Little Liars and The Goldfinch. I think I'll start with Big Little Liars.
I'm just finishing The Bangkok 8 and it's a "fun" read. Quick, interesting and is totally making me what to read more about Buddhism. I finished The Paying Guests and hated it. Those characters drove me crazy and I hated the old fashioned lesbian love story feel. Ya know, someone either goes crazy or dies from being a lesbian. Ugh.

I am floating through The Ocean at the End of the Lane alongside a rediscovered high school pal. Loving it. Next up is Redeployment by Phil Klay. I'm a big Sarah Waters fan but could barely finish The Paying Guests.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers will stay with you forever.

You're getting me all excited to read it @Boomie!

A lighter read that struck me as "just right": Mrs. Queen Takes The Train.

It has hints (maybe more than hints) of farce in the plot, wherein Queen Elizabeth, through a series of chance events, gets on the train to Scotland for a sentimental visit to her (decommissioned) yacht Britannia.

Lots of people, with little in common but their service to the queen, managing to get along while trying to find and protect her. Queen taking the opportunity to pick herself up a little, after bad experiences with computer, not to mention her "annus horribilis." A little suspension of disbelief helps. If you enjoyed the movie The Queen, you might like this, too.

(Now slogging through The Goldfinch: so beautifully written, but soooo loooong.)

I haven't read all of these posts but has anyone read All The Light We Cannot See? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

jeffl--just finished All The Light We Cannot See. Loved it.

I'm 3/4 done with the "Light" loving it. In fact, I left my iPad at word and cam home and was reading in on my phone which I never do. Unless stuck at motor vehicle or something.

mgould said:

Me too.

I'm saving it for when my brain is a little more stable (in the midst of a cross country move). Meantime, I just started The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins) last night and it's promising. I was up past my bedtime.

I'm reading the Dan Harris book "10% Happier" and really enjoying learning about this broadcast news guys experience with meditation.

Eliz, I'm starting Girl on the Train tonight!

Sometimes you just need to take a break and do some fluffy Chick Lit. I've had 2 fun books this week... Philip Margolis and 'belle Cora". And I am about to finish "Fortune hunter" by Daisy Goodwin. Planning to take Liane Moriarty off with me to the beach..... What other good stories are out there? Under 40O pages, exciting but not political

Read mostly non fiction so while enjoying island beaches I want fluff, but not Jackie Collins or Danielle steele

Liane Moriarty and Jojo Moyes both fit the bill

I read one, don't remember the name of the one where one of the women ends up dead.

What is Jojo moves?

She's an author - try her Me before you or One Plus One. Both great beach reads

Anyone reading The Nightingale? Just started it. It was recommended to me few months ago by someone who had an advance copy.

My mother just finished The Nightingale--said it's a must-read.

I took The Girl on the Train on vacation and it was OK for that purpose, unless you hate plots that rely on many unlikely coincidences. @eliz, what did you think?

j_r said:

I took The Girl on the Train on vacation and it was OK for that purpose, unless you hate plots that rely on many unlikely coincidences. @eliz, what did you think?

I thought it was pretty "eh".

mjh said:

mgould said:

Me too.

Looking forward to it.

@leighan and @jr - agreed. It was trying to be the next Gone Girl and wasn't by a long shot. It kept my attention in the midst of a move so I know there wasn't much there there but a pretty easy read. It was exactly what a I needed at the time and a good beach book.

I'm reading Alexandra Fuller's new book Leaving Before the Rains Come. She's one of my favorite authors but I'm still adjusting to the time change (east to west coast) and fall asleep a half page in every night. I think I need something lighter (like Girl on a Train) for now.

I thought Girl on the Train was fun.

Recently finished Station Eleven. What a beautifully written book.

jeffl said:

mjh said:

mgould said:

Me too.

Looking forward to it.

Such a great book, I highly recommend!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.