What to read next?

I read that too... for a fictional account of the same sort of thing, try "I am Forbidden" by Anouk Markowitz ( not 100 % sure on the author)

Agree about Starboard Sea, Campbell. It had potential but never got there.

Anyone reading the new Michael Chabon book, Telegraph Avenue?

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin is fabulous.

campbell29 said:

Anyone read the new Michael Chabon, Telegraph Ave yet? He's one of those authors I sometimes really like, and sometimes I am indifferent to.

cmontyburns said:

Looking for something that is more of a page turner than the last couple books I just read. I recently finished "The Starboard Sea" and "The Secret River" both of which were ok, but didn't exactly keep me up until 2am so I could find out what happens. Since I am usually up at 2 am anyway, I'm looking for something more engaging along the lines of "Gone Girl" and "defending Jacob"

Next 2 non fiction books I will be taking up will be E.O Wilson's "Social Conquest of Earth" and Tom Holland's "In the Shadow of the Sword, The Birth of Islam", so if either of those are real clunkers, feel free to let me know.

For non-fiction, check out Reza Aslan.

I just recently read Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer and The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. Neither are as fast-paced as, say, Gone Girl, but I really enjoyed both of them.

I'm reading Dark Places, one of Gillian Flynn's earlier books, and it's really good. Really creepy--I get a little scared reading it at night! Another good one was Dare Me by Megan Abbott. Great writing. I also really liked The Age of Miracles but agree with Caboose that it might quite be what you are looking for right now, though worth reading.

I recently read Swamplandia! and loved it, although I read the last third of it with dread. Totally evocative writing, amazing characters, and lovable weirdos. It almost seemed cousin to Geek Love. The same author has a short story collection which is on my list.

I'm halfway through Mary Doria Russel's A Thread of Grace, about Italians who hide Jews (fellow Italians and refugees) during WW2. I've literally had to put the book down a couple times to have a little sob or just marvel at the way she turns a phrase. I was introduced to her writing via her two epic Jesuits-in-outer-space-first-contact books, The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God. She also wrote a fascinating historical fiction-cum-biography, Doc, about Doc Holliday and the Earp brothers. Her books are dense and fascinating and gorgeously written, and they stay with me long after I read them.

I have read both Swamplandia and Thread of Grace. Have to say that Jesuits in Space is certainly not a premise that has been overdone cheese

"Some Kind of Fairy Tale: A Novel" kept me up, as did this newish 3-book detect series by A.D. Scott set in the Scottish Highlands in the '50's http://www.amazon.com/Double-Death-Black-Isle-Novel/dp/1439154945/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

i loved "some kind of fairy tale" as well. finished it in less than 24 hours and then was sorry that i'd rushed through it!

I just finished, "My Friend Dahmer" a graphic novel by Derf Backderf.

Started browsing it at Words and couldn't put it down - the author captures the loneliness and sinisterness of both Jeffrey Dahmer and life in a particular suburb in the 1970's. Very original but felt familiar too - everyone knew that weird loner kid in high school who we joked would become a serial killer and we forget about them post high school. This author and classmate of Dahmer lost touch/interest with him after he graduated in the '70's and got a chilling, "you won't believe this" phone call from a classmate in 1991 after the crimes made the news.

Haunting and well done.

I have never read a graphic novel, oddly enough. Do you know if they come across well on IPad Kidle or Nook? Are they quick reads? Last night I read the first of the Anne Rice, writing under a different name "Sleeping Beauty" erotica books. It was ok, but I think too repetitive to encourage me to continue with the series.

campbell29 said:

I have never read a graphic novel, oddly enough. Do you know if they come across well on IPad Kidle or Nook? Are they quick reads?

Campbell I don't know if they come on Kindles or Nooks - part of what i enjoy about reading a graphic novel/comic book is the experience of peripherally seeing several panels ahead while I'm concentrating on the main panel.

They ARE usually quick reads - I thought "Dahmer" was so compelling I made myself stretch it out for a few nights.

If you decide to give comics a try, there's a good book by Scott McCloud called "Understanding Comics" that lays out the format and why it's a different art form and how your brain processes the information. Sounds dry, but it's in comic book form so it's fun!

It's not at my library, so I guess I will add it to my Kindle queu.

Age of Miracles is in my queu already. Is Shine Shine Shine the book about the couple with Aspergers?

Oh, I could give you a huge list of great graphic novels. Start with Fun Home by Alison Betchel. Anything by Craig Thompson or Joe Sacco.

I really liked The Complete Persepolis, which is a graphic novel but also an autobiography of the author growing up in Iran.

amie said:

Oh, I could give you a huge list of great graphic novels. Start with Fun Home by Alison Betchel. Anything by Craig Thompson or Joe Sacco.

and I'll add anything by Alison Betchel - the same day I bought the Dahmer comic I started reading her latest book - about her relationship with her mother - I almost bought it right then but I'd exceeded my monthly comic book allowance. Thanks for reminding me amie, that's my next read!

mjh said:

campbell29 said:

Anyone read the new Michael Chabon, Telegraph Ave yet? He's one of those authors I sometimes really like, and sometimes I am indifferent to.

cmontyburns said:

Just finished Breed by Chase Novak. It's not what I would typically read, but I heard the author on NPR and was compelled to buy the book that evening. I finished it in 2 days.

Now I'm on to Swamplandia! and loving it already.

I heard about Breed..... Sounds kind of creepy. Let me know how it is

If you like quirky nonfiction, I'd recommend Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean (author of the Orchid Thief). Great story incorporating WW1 and 2, the history of dogs in the military, the history of dog training, and early Hollywood history. Plus crazy dog people.

@Hahaha I totally want to go to Swamplandia!

Any Sayer fans in MOL land? Just finished Dorothy L. Sayers' Whose Body, I believe it's the first of her Lord Peter Wimsey series. It took getting used to the 1920s humor among the titled classes in Britain back in the day, but the complex plot out shines Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie. Lord Peter seems a bit foppish, but he''s brilliant at detecting. Just ordered her second.

To sort of clear my brain periodically, I just ordered a classic - A Tale of Two Cities. Hope I like it this time around. I recall suffering through it in high school.

mtierney said:

To sort of clear my brain periodically, I just ordered a classic - A Tale of Two Cities. Hope I like it this time around. I recall suffering through it in high school.

I just re-read "Great Expectations" - the Classics Illustrated version adapted by Rick Geary. Good choice for the graphic novelist, he did a wonderful job keeping it lively and poignant.

September feels so full of possibilities and choices with everyone going back to school and an election coming up, it was a good book to read right now.

I just put Breed on my wishlist. Doesn't sound like what I'd normally read either, but I'm so enjoying being creeped out by Dark Places that I think I only want to read creepy stuff between now and Halloween. I also have Some Kind of Fairy Tale on my list.

FC, it's so funny because I LOVED Kavalier and Clay and I HATED YPU to the point that I couldn't even finish it--and I never stop reading books in the middle! So I'm a little wary of reading anything else by him until I hear lots of great reviews!

Has anyone read the new Junot Diaz book?

am reading (at this very moment) "you came back" by christopher coake. man, this is ripping my heart out. i probably shouldn;t even read it,but it's very moving.

bookgirl said:

FC, it's so funny because I LOVED Kavalier and Clay and I HATED YPU to the point that I couldn't even finish it--and I never stop reading books in the middle! So I'm a little wary of reading anything else by him until I hear lots of great reviews!

I was the same way... Loved Kavalier and Clay and was completely underwhelmed by YPU, although I thought the concept was really good. I have the Junot Diaz book on my "to read" list.

I dont remember the last book I read that was really sad tear jerky, but I remember reading something on my couch and crying copiously and having my family laugh at me. I think it was the Jodi Picoult book about the girl with the bones that kept breaking. After that one, I swore off Jodi Picoult forever.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.