What series should I watch next?

bub said:

It's Disney. 

Ted Lasso is on Apple TV, but I feel your pain man.  I only technically 'subscribed' because we got an Apple TV during the pandemic and it came with a free year.  That being said, it's not as expensive as the other streaming services (yet) AND the original content has amazing from the start.  We actually have watched several shows and movies exclusively on Apple TV.  If you are a into old sci fi, they are about to start airing Foundation, based on Asimovs books.  The production quality and originality is worth it at the moment in my opinion (for what that is worth).  

Yeah, I don't need yet another subscription either, but I got free year with an Apple purchase. Previously I was able to watch it because a friend downloaded it and put it on a SD card for me. That's how much he wanted me to watch it.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

I've been meaning to watch Lasso. Guess it's time.

Where can one watch it, Disney+ ? 

I don't feel like subscribing to another service. I subscribed to Disney+, I think, to watch The Stand and cancelled after that.

Did you like The Stand? It's one of my favorite books and I was looking forward to the remake, but I couldn't get past all the snot and pustules that covered the afflicted, so I gave up.

drummerboy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

I've been meaning to watch Lasso. Guess it's time.

Where can one watch it, Disney+ ? 

I don't feel like subscribing to another service. I subscribed to Disney+, I think, to watch The Stand and cancelled after that.

Did you like The Stand? It's one of my favorite books and I was looking forward to the remake, but I couldn't get past all the snot and pustules that covered the afflicted, so I gave up.

It's also one of my favorite books. I liked the recent TV series some. Given the challenges of filming a book like that, they got much of it right and made up stuff when they couldn't. Of course Nadine Cross was a brunette and her hair turned white as she gravitated towards Flagg. In the film, she was light-haired from the start. And in the book, Larry Underwood crossed the Hudson through the Lincoln Tunnel, a very memorable scene. In the film, the GWB. One interesting note: Trashcan Man was played by a local, Ezra Miller, from Hoboken. My daughter went to the Hudson School with him. The Trashcan Man character was drawn very accurately from from the book. "My life for you...." etc. 

Alexander Skarsgard was much better as Flagg than Jamey Sheriden was in the 1994 TV series. Tough role to screen write and act. But he was good. Very evil. 

Bottom Line? I love The Stand so any Stand media is good media. :Wonderful to see those characters brought to life again. Stu Redman, Frannie Goldsmith, Harold Lauder, Whoopie Goldberg as Mother Abigail Freemantle. 

OneMississippi is truly a unique dark comedy I stumbled upon. i don’t enjoy it, but it is weird and fascinating. Jokes cover death, dying cancer surgery and IBS.

Last night I watched the first episode of the ARETHA biopic series on National Geographic. It can also be watched on Hulu. I am a huge Aretha Franklin fan (isn't everybody?) so this is fun to see. At first the actress playing Aretha (and doing the singing) Cynthia Erivo, struck me as not at all Aretha-like, but as it went  on, she seemed more and more like Aretha. The power of suggestion, I guess.

It has some of the typical biopic arcs and clichés  (think What's Love Got to Do With It, the Tina Turner biopic with Angela Bassett) but it's a great story about a real musical Genius. Can't wait to watch the rest.

Episode 2! Still loving Dickensian. Delightful cast. Is there such a thing as a bad English actor? 

Morganna said:

Episode 2! Still loving Dickensian. Delightful cast. Is there such a thing as a bad English actor? 

It's the accent. We just assume they're smart.

bub said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Ted Lasso, for which Jason Sudekis won a Golden Globe, really grew on us big time.  It's mostly a comedy but it's got a real feel good element about it driven by Sudekis' character, who is extremely optimistic and warm-hearted. 

Just finished binging it. Quite enjoyable. Looking forward to season 2.

Morganna said:

Well, there's a reason why I'm not in it.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

Finally finished season 4 of The Expanse. Not my favorite season, but still brilliant. Moving onto season 2 of Lost In Space next.

What the hell is The Expanse?

I'm so behind....

Possibly the best sci-fi show ever made. Canceled by SyFy channel, then rescued by Amazon.

I'm trying to get Simone into this - saw episode 1 - it was really good.  I couldn't get into season 2 of Lost in Space - only saw a few.

ridski said:

Well, there's a reason why I'm not in it.

Hopefully you will be considered for the sequel.

I was familiar with many of the actors, except for Scrooge. As a mad fan of Alistair Sim, I am not happy with the casting of Ned Dennehy. Really like Stephen Rea as Inspector Bucket. He once appeared on a Law & Order SVU episode.

The soundtrack is similar to the music from the Sherlock Holmes films with Robert Downey, another series that I love.

And while I'm on favorite British period pieces, where is the sequel to Gentleman Jack?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4531728/

jamie said:

I'm trying to get Simone into this - saw episode 1 - it was really good.  I couldn't get into season 2 of Lost in Space - only saw a few.

Stick with The Expanse. The first few episodes are extremely dense. I've watched the first season again after finishing season 5 and there's so much being set up in those first episodes that pays off way down the line. Also, if possible, watch it with subtitles. Belter creole is tough and you can lose some cool details in the accents, too. By the of episode 4, that's when most people really click with it, and the show itself goes full steam after that.

Allen Vs. Farrow

Can't say I enjoyed it but I am glad that I watched it. Pretty controversial documentary made by the same creators of The Hunting Ground. (Dont watch it if you want to continue enjoying Allens' films.)

Shtisel   Season 3!!!!!   Haven't started watching it yet. 

Well, I waited 10 years for Stabler's return but I'm on the fence about SVUs new show Organized Crime. Still, I've been a long time fan of Christopher Meloni so I'll definitely give it a chance. Would have preferred they put him back on SVU but I guess that would have been tricky.

Its strange enough watching the cast in masks.

The Serpent on Netflix was really well done.

Morganna said:

Well, I waited 10 years for Stabler's return but I'm on the fence about SVUs new show Organized Crime. Still, I've been a long time fan of Christopher Meloni so I'll definitely give it a chance. Would have preferred they put him back on SVU but I guess that would have been tricky.

Its strange enough watching the cast in masks.

I'm with you. My daughter, a huge Christopher Meloni /Eliot Stabler fan,  and I anticipated it with glee  ("Eliot...?") and we were a bit confused by the plot and the overlapping characters. I ended up watching it a second time and it was no better or more clear. We're gonna give it another chance, too. 

I never watched any of those police procedural shows but I think Meloni is a terrific comedic actor.  He was great in the over the top SyFy series "Happy!"  Was also in a couple of episodes of Scrubs playing a pediatrician and was a character in the series Wet Hot American Summer.

His daughter, who participated in Papermill Playhouse's Summer Conservatory, plays one of his character's daughters!

bub said:

I never watched any of those police procedural shows but I think Meloni is a terrific comedic actor.  He was great in the over the top SyFy series "Happy!"  Was also in a couple of episodes of Scrubs playing a pediatrician and was a character in the series Wet Hot American Summer.

He was in an HBO series Oz, a prison drama. I was hooked. A few other actors from that series were on Law & Order SVU. 

SVU is of course not comedic, but he does get the opportunity to exercise his sarcasm.

I read The Expanse series and for the most part really enjoyed it, and prompted by this thread have finally started watching it. I don't normally binge-watch, but I've found myself binging. 

I'm right at the end of season 3 now though and finding it not as fun as it started out as. I can't recall the books in great detail, but in my memory the whole series of events at the station played out differently, and better. I recall people having different motivations, and also the groups of characters arranged differently, than they seem to be here on the show. For instance, IIRC, in the books Ashford actually committed mutiny I think? Here he just seems misguided. The motivations, plot, and character arcs just seem a bit muddled, and the visuals seems to just be everyone floating around an electron microscope image of an egg.

Anyway, I'll push through as I've enjoyed the preceding episodes and am looking forward to things picking up again -- visually at the very least -- going forward.

Well, I've started to watch Bonanza. Today's episode has a visiting Charles Dickens.

Maybe I should start a thread on retro TV.

drummerboy said:

Well, I've started to watch Bonanza. Today's episode has a visiting Charles Dickens.

I watched Bonanza religiously as a small child although my favourite show (by a country mile) was Superman. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

I watched Bonanza religiously as a small child although my favourite show (by a country mile) was Superman. 

Oh yeah. I loved Superman. And was a huge fan of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

I watched Bonanza because that's what my parents watched, but I don't have many memories of it. Watching it again. I'm surprised how good it is.

PVW said:

I read The Expanse series and for the most part really enjoyed it, and prompted by this thread have finally started watching it. I don't normally binge-watch, but I've found myself binging. 

I'm right at the end of season 3 now though and finding it not as fun as it started out as. I can't recall the books in great detail, but in my memory the whole series of events at the station played out differently, and better. I recall people having different motivations, and also the groups of characters arranged differently, than they seem to be here on the show. For instance, IIRC, in the books Ashford actually committed mutiny I think? Here he just seems misguided. The motivations, plot, and character arcs just seem a bit muddled, and the visuals seems to just be everyone floating around an electron microscope image of an egg.

Anyway, I'll push through as I've enjoyed the preceding episodes and am looking forward to things picking up again -- visually at the very least -- going forward.

Separate the books from the series. It's not a faithful adaptation, but in some ways improves on the basic story. Drummer, who is a bit character in the books takes the roles of many other belters in the show, and while you might be disappointed not to see certain characters come to the fore, or their motivations changed, I've found that so far everything I've seen anyone do in the show pays off. Ty and Daniel are very much part of the writing team of the show so everything you see on screen has been approved by them. This won't be like Game of Thrones. 

Having said that, I'll be interested in your thoughts on Season 4. I think it was fairly pedestrian by comparison, but worth slogging through to get all the payoffs in Season 5.

drummerboy said:

Oh yeah. I loved Superman. And was a huge fan of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

I watched Bonanza because that's what my parents watched, but I don't have many memories of it. Watching it again. I'm surprised how good it is.

Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers! Favorite character, Ming the Merciless. Seems like Saturdays had reruns of old shows and black and white movies that I watched at my grandparents house.

My childhood sleep away camp was once owned by Buster Crabbe.  Movie night would start with one of those Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon serial shorts with those hokey space ships on strings with the sparks flying out the back.  What fun.

I binge watched Clarice On Demand. Wow, has CBS done risky shows? I thought it had an excellent cast, good writing and direction but I wondered if it was too dark for most viewers.  Anyone who liked Silence of the Lambs will be hooked. Rebecca Breeds who plays Starling, has the face of an angel, and I wondered how she would pull off a role so well done by Jodie Foster but so far she has held her own. Watching Kal Penn who does some wild character roles. Nick Sandow as Murray Clarke is a very likeable character. For those who like their drama on the dark side, give it a try. I think it could get some Criminal Minds viewers, as well as SVU fans.

Interesting that it is directly opposite Law & Order Organized Crime. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.