The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Who is Moreno? Easy to find info on him:

Apparently Trump approves of him. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Moreno  Not to mention any number of media outlets supposedly leaning Leftish or to the Right.  Despite being born in Colombia and arriving in the USA as a young child, becoming a citizen at age 18 years, he’d like to see the Mexican border completely walled and all undocumented migrants deported to Mexico ASAP.  

You can read his other stances for yourself. His son-in-law Max Miller was Trump’s aide before becoming a congressman. And his brother Luis Alberto Moreno is the former Colombian Ambassador. 

So, probably not someone to quickly dismiss. But a bit too conservative for my taste.

mtierney said:

The immigration crises is the No.1 concern for American voters — no matter they are Democrat or Republican…

The crisis has grown so acute, and touched so many aspects of American life, that an unprecedented percentage of voters rate immigration as their top issue—and polling shows they crave almost any solution. The failure of government officials to find a lasting solution has left in place a chaotic status quo that is threatening everything from President Biden’s re-election chances to the budgets of big cities, including New York.

Strange.  Maybe I'm the only one, but the "immigration crisis" hasn't directly affected me.

tjohn said:

Strange.  Maybe I'm the only one, but the "immigration crisis" hasn't directly affected me.

I'd say you're not the only one.

The million dollar plus  Maplewood bubble provides insulation for sure, for now. NYC, Chicago, LA and San Francisco, etc.,  have been preferred destinations and tent cities  do abound. 

Since Maplewood has been a declared Sanctuary City for a long time, I wonder how the municipality plans to provide housing, etc?

mtierney said:

Since Maplewood has been a declared Sanctuary City for a long time, I wonder how the municipality plans to provide housing, etc?

I wonder, every time someone encourages you to learn what a sanctuary city declaration actually means, which has been many, many times, if you ever will.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Since Maplewood has been a declared Sanctuary City for a long time, I wonder how the municipality plans to provide housing, etc?

I wonder, every time someone encourages you to learn what a sanctuary city declaration actually means, which has been many, many times, if you ever will.

do you really wonder?

has mt ever acknowledged a mistake in her understanding of some issue when she was presented with incontrovertible evidence that challenges that understanding?

denial is what gives her charm, after all.

drummerboy said:

has mt ever acknowledged a mistake in her understanding of some issue when she was presented with incontrovertible evidence that challenges that understanding?

Stop it. You’re killing me.

Latest news from NYC re Mayor Adams is that he is going bonkers from all the stress in running a sanctuary city.

Apparently the CHS principal was sorely missed Friday afternoon as busloads of MMS kids were evacuated and taken to the high school while parents were notified where they could pick up their children. Nobody it seems notified the PD of the fact and traffic was blocked by scores of frantic families with no one in charge to give directions, info, or advice. There was a construction mishap resulting in  broken  gas line at the library apparently.

mtierney said:

Latest news from NYC re Mayor Adams is that he is going bonkers from all the stress in running a sanctuary city.

please, please stop using words whose meaning you have not the slightest clue.

As of March 2021, the following states claim sanctuary status:CaliforniaColoradoConnecticutIllinoisMassachusettsNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkOregonVermontWashington

In addition, some of these sanctuary states also designate counties to have policies in place that discourage or prohibit cooperation between local law and federal agents when dealing with undocumented immigrants.

New Jersey

In 2018, Attorney General Gurbir Grewal issued the 'Immigrant Trust Directive', which effectively made New Jersey a sanctuary state.[165] Among the municipalities which are considered sanctuary cities are Asbury Park, Camden, East Orange, Hoboken, Jersey City, Linden, New Brunswick, Newark, North Bergen, Plainfield, Trenton and Union City.[166] Those with specific executive orders made by mayors or resolution by municipal councils are:

I am not too keen on disobeying federal law and creating havoc among what is right and wrong, or legal from one state to another. 

What if our elected government decided to be proActive re welcoming undocumented folks to come to Maplewood — it has train transportation to NYC, is a bus ride away from airports, but how would the town provide housing? Off season, the pool might serve the need, or our parks, perhaps? 

Millburn is worried about providing affordable housing — what is the definition of “affordable” in a sanctuary city?

mtierney said:

New Jersey

In 2018, Attorney General Gurbir Grewal issued the 'Immigrant Trust Directive', which effectively made New Jersey a sanctuary state.[165] Among the municipalities which are considered sanctuary cities are Asbury Park, Camden, East Orange, Hoboken, Jersey City, Linden, New Brunswick, Newark, North Bergen, Plainfield, Trenton and Union City.[166] Those with specific executive orders made by mayors or resolution by municipal councils are:

and, yet again, what do you think "sanctuary state" means? will you ever tell us?

A sanctuary city, mtierney, is not a location that has committed itself to providing physical shelter for immigrants. It’s a location that has set limits on its cooperation with federal efforts to enforce immigration law.

DaveSchmidt said:

A sanctuary city, mtierney, is not a location that has committed itself to providing physical shelter for immigrants. It’s a location that has set limits on its cooperation with federal efforts to enforce immigration law.

You ruined the surprise!

jimmurphy said:

You ruined the surprise!

he always does… spoil sport.

Speaking of spoil sport…

DaveSchmidt said:

Be sure to point that out to Adams and the California governor. Does setting “limits on its cooperation with federal efforts” include refusing, or asking for federal funding?

mtierney said:

Be sure to point that out to Adams and the California governor.

If pointing it out to only you was enough to end your confusion about the term, my comment already exceeded its highest hopes.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Be sure to point that out to Adams and the California governor. Does setting “limits on its cooperation with federal efforts” include refusing, or asking for federal funding?

I dare you to open this link to an article that gives a good explanation of what sanctuary city policies are. 

What Exactly Is a Sanctuary City and What Does That Mean for NYC?

And I double dare you to read the entire article. 

Triple dare you to read it with an open mind and really learn. 

And finally I quadruple dare you to come back and admit how wrong your comments on this topic have been. 

DaveSchmidt said:

If pointing it out to only you was enough to end your confusion about the term, my comment already exceeded its highest hopes.

to be fair Adams doesn't seem to understand his own city's sanctuary laws per the article I linked to above. 

mtierney said:

Nope. And I’m pretty sure our Mayor Adams understands this law, even if the other Mayor Adams doesn’t.

The WTJ makes a direct case for The Big Guy to not run…

On EVs, There’s a Lot of Hunter in Joe Biden

His combination of selfishness and self-harm is working to put Trump back in the White House.

By

Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.Follow

March 22, 2024 at 4:33 pm ET

President Joe Biden speaks in Chandler, Ariz., March 20. PHOTO: KEVIN LAMARQUE/REUTERS

“You have my word,” Joe Biden said in his public statement on his electric-vehicle mandate, though strangely missing were the words “carbon dioxide” and “climate change,” the only reason for caring whether otherwise harmless CO2 comes out of vehicle tailpipes.

This is no accident, because it allows him to avoid raising the question of what his EV mandate would actually do for the climate.

A sleight of hand long practiced by the EV propagandists at the Union of Concerned Scientists has now been adopted widely in the media, including the

New York Times. It elides the fact that the vehicles you and I drive, while large in number, sit parked 95% of the time and play a minor role in U.S. transportation emissions.

It elides the fact that U.S. transportation emissions themselves are a small and shrinking share of global emissions.

On the friendliest assumptions, the Biden plan would reduce global emissions by 0.18%. But the friendly assumptions are false because, as Norway has been busyproving, every electric vehicle doesn’t displace a conventional one, every electric mile driven doesn’t displace a gasoline mile.

OK, it doesn’t matter that his EV plan is a political as well as climate fraud. Voters aren’t going to let Mr. Biden, from his presidential afterlife, impinge on their choice of vehicles anyway, forcing most to choose an EV or nothing by 2032, and Mr. Biden knows it.

He’s hoping to appeal to young voters—currently mad at him over Israel—whose other equally shallowly held passion is climate change. He’s betting the larger electorate will see the plan as eyewash, though this may be one of those Biden miscalculations that seem to come in mystical succession as if his secret goal were to put Mr. Trump back in the White House.

The latter is already benefiting twice over, warning of a “bloodbath” for U.S. auto workers, a word the press duly misrepresented, fulfilling the paradigm that America’s media, in their endless compulsion to discredit themselves, also are secret Trump allies.

The own goals of Mr. Biden’s re-election strategy are piling up. Like the Harlem Globetrotters in reverse, the Trump prosecutions he sought were supposed to supply him his opponent of choice but they let Mr. Trump so command the stage that he now leads in the polls both nationally and in the swing states.

Then there was Mr. Biden’s decision early in his presidency to replicate the Trump Covid spending blowout while imposing gaudy but useless vaccine mandates. This was meant to help him claim credit (as he did in this month’s State of the Union) for the post-Covid recovery already emerging by the time he took office. But it was unnecessary. A president is going to get credit anyway and now this benefit has been dwarfed into insignificance by the inflation he created in the process. Oops.

In selfishness and self-harm, there’s a lot of Hunter in Joe, it turns out. This is apparent in the recent special counsel’s report—his clinging to documents so he could take credit long after the fact for positions that nobody cares about anymore.

Mr. Trump, as his fans fully understand, is running firstly to escape the legal furies that beset him, a motive Mr. Biden gave him by pushing for indictments, setting up the most ominous election in a century.

But what is Mr. Biden’s motive for seeking a second term in defiance of what the polls, history and his own biological clock are telling him?

He’s become the Munchausen version of the candidate who was supposed to save America from Donald Trump. Nobody has done more to make a second Trump presidency likely. With EVs Mr. Biden is replicating what he did with the border, finding the policy that offends the greatest number in order to patronize a small and irrational sect within his own camp.

Trump haters who are compos mentis now see that a Trump defeat is still a crappy outcome for America, sticking it with Mr. Biden, a president of declining physical and mental capacity, whose only real constituency for re-election is himself, because he enjoys being a big deal.

Republicans could replace their nominee-apparent but only at the cost of defying the biggest, most ardent sector of the GOP electorate. Democrats would have to overcome only the willfulness of one man, which a majority of Democrats already favor doing.

The risks of Mr. Biden’s willfulness for the country aren’t small, from a close and contested election leading to civil strife, to a Trump victory and renewed elite warfare, to a hung election that would be decided in the House of Representatives under rules many Americans would find eccentric and undemocratic.

Short of the Almighty taking a hand, the only solution is for Mr. Biden to rediscover his inner patriot and step down, of which there is no sign. Because, like I said, there’s a lot of Hunter in Joe.

So I guess you're going to ignore my dare, aren't you?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

I dare you to open this link to an article that gives a good explanation of what sanctuary city policies are. 

What Exactly Is a Sanctuary City and What Does That Mean for NYC?

And I double dare you to read the entire article. 

Triple dare you to read it with an open mind and really learn. 

And finally I quadruple dare you to come back and admit how wrong your comments on this topic have been. 

ml1 said:

you got that right! Haven’t responded to a dare since elementary school!

mtierney said:

A curious person who was interested in learning something could have easily ignored the dares and read the article anyway.

How about this --

mtierney, I dare you to continue posting dishonest and misleading cartoons and articles. I double dare you to refuse to respond to nearly any response you receive. I triple dare you to respond, the few times you do, by whining that you are the victim of bullying by a boys club that wants to censor you. And finally, I quadruple dare you to never show the slightest inkling of self awareness or personal responsibility for what you post.

Bet she takes that one.

PVW said:

How about this --

mtierney, I dare you to continue posting dishonest and misleading cartoons and articles. I double dare you to refuse to respond to nearly any response you receive. I triple dare you to respond, the few times you do, by whining that you are the victim of bullying by a boys club that wants to censor you. And finally, I quadruple dare you to never show the slightest inkling of self awareness or personal responsibility for what you post.

Bet she takes that one.

wait for the cartoon of a cat…

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

If I rescind the dare will you read the article with an open mind and try to truly understand what a sanctuary city is?

If I ask humbly? Please? 

Oh, I did read it and it only reinforces my concern over the pitting of law enforcement agencies on the local city/state level against the federal government authority. This is no way to run the United States of America. 

Many liberal states watched from afar as small towns along the border were inundated with illegal, dangerous crossings unto what often was private homesteads. American property owners across several states were faced daily with this “invasion” — if /and when these citizens complained, they were made to feel as though their rights were unimportant and that those crossing had the right to trespass, etc. Their only recourse was the state governors and representatives.

When hundreds of Central American migrants were crossing the Darien Gap, and risking their lives crossing the Rio Grande, along with drugs coming through the same route, the thought was that a system would be in place to process, identify these migrants. There was no effective system. Remember the viral photos of a border guard using a whip on a migrant — he was reprimanded (by the President) and put on leave by his boss. It was a lie. He was attempting to control his horse while doing his job.

But, the illegal issue at our borders has changed dramatically as people from around the world are traveling here by plane, carrying luggage, not backpacks. Hundreds of thousands of travelers have morphed into millions of people disregarding our national sovereignty.

I do not believe states and cities should operate independently from the federal government. 

Recall how the Covid-19 vaccine efforts worked to insure every American would be protected? The rollout was a federal and state cooperative achievement. The penalties for those not cooperating were severe.

mtierney said:

When hundreds of Mexican and Central American migrants were crossing the Darien Gap …

Another spoiler: Any Mexican and Central American migrants who were crossing the Darién Gap were going in the wrong direction.

mtierney said:

Oh, I did read it and it only reinforces my concern over the pitting of law enforcement agencies on the local city/state level against the federal government authority. This is no way to run the United States of America. 

Many liberal states watched from afar as small towns along the border were inundated with illegal, dangerous crossings unto what often was private homesteads. American property owners across several states were faced daily with this “invasion” — if /and when these citizens complained, they were made to feel as though their rights were unimportant and that those crossing had the right to trespass, etc. Their only recourse was the state governors and representatives.

When hundreds of Mexican and Central American migrants were crossing the Darien Gap, and risking their lives crossing the Rio Grande, with drugs coming through the same route, the thought was that a system would be in place to process, identify these migrants. There was no effective system. Remember the viral photos of a border guard using a whip on a migrant — he was reprimanded (by the President) and put on leave by his boss. It was a lie. He was attempting to control his horse while doing his job.

But, the illegal issue at our borders has changed dramatically as people from around the world are traveling here by plane, carrying luggage, not backpacks. Hundreds of thousands of travelers have morphed into millions of people disregarding our national sovereignty.

I do not believe states and cities should operate independently from the federal government. 

Recall how the Covid-19 vaccine efforts worked to insure every American would be protected? The rollout was a federal and state cooperative achievement. The penalties for those not cooperating were severe.

vampire

Oh dear. 

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

When hundreds of Mexican and Central American migrants were crossing the Darien Gap …

Another spoiler: Any Mexican and Central American migrants who were crossing the Darién Gap were going in the wrong direction.

I don't know if your point is going to be comprehended by anyone for whom "Darien Gap" seems to be just a term to toss around instead of an actual geographic location one can find on a map.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.