The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

PVW said:

What I wouldn't give for a president whose typical gaffes result in mangled words rather than 200,000 dead and counting.

Then I have the perfect solution for you: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bidenharris2020

And I am sorry for posting these donation links every once in a while, but I just want to do everything I can to help the cause (and yes, I donate myself, especially when the Republicans infuriate me, so at this rate I am probably going to be broke by election day)

basil said:

And I am sorry for posting these donation links every once in a while, but I just want to do everything I can to help the cause (and yes, I donate myself, especially when the Republicans infuriate me, so at this rate I am probably going to be broke by election day)

No apology necessary. 

mtierney said:

Better call Biden! He said it was 200 million yesterday. I heard it live myself. Just another typical gaffe, not to worry! 

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/correct-the-record-fact-checking-bidens-philadelphia-speech

If critical of this source, google it and find even The Daily Mail and multiple outlets have the story.

No one doubts Biden said that.  The right wingers release the flying monkeys to distribute that kind of news every day, so anyone paying attention to the campaign was aware.  But the question is why anyone would think it's meaningful.  Have you never accidentally used the wrong number in extemporaneous speech?

but then again, when Obama said he had campaigned in 57 states when he meant to say 47, the wing nuts ridiculed that for YEARS as if it was anything more than a slip of the tongue. So they know that they have a gullible audience that eats such stuff up.

mtierney said:

Better call Biden! He said it was 200 million yesterday. I heard it live myself. Just another typical gaffe, not to worry! 

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/correct-the-record-fact-checking-bidens-philadelphia-speech

If critical of this source, google it and find even The Daily Mail and multiple outlets have the story.

President Trump in an interview last week claimed to have saved 2 to 2 and a half lives with his quick actions earlier this year, so...

mtierney said:

Trump thinks we've had 4 World Wars.

Biden also corrected himself 3 minutes later to 200,000, as per the NY Post, that bastion of liberal news.

jfinnegan said:

Biden also corrected himself 3 minutes later to 200,000, as per the NY Post, that bastion of liberal news.

What did the Daily Mail say about it?

Per the Daily Mail: Although the number of COVID-19 deaths are staggering in the United States - 200 miillion (I chose not correct their typo) Americans have not died of the virus.

Biden likely (likely?) meant to say 200,000 deaths, which the country has slowly edged towards for the last week. As of Sunday, deaths have amassed to 199,474 and there are 6.7 million confirmed cases.

mtierney said:

Ok, so are you saying he was LYING about how many have died?   That he is intentionally giving wrong information because he thinks it will help him win the election?  

Or did he just say million instead of thousand?

Not that it makes any difference I guess. 

nohero said:

This is Trump yesterday.  Lying about the disease, telling his ignorant rabble that nobody who mattered has died, and not to worry their empty little heads about it. 

I hope "It affects virtually nobody" with a reminder that 200,000 people have died becomes a major Biden commercial and talking point. 

What I want to know is if it affects virtually nobody why is he at the same time claiming he saved millions of lives by shutting down flights from China?

I admit my legal background is non-existent, but this might be fodder for the lawyers here to  debate...

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/08/whistleblower-outing-accusation-from-view-co-host-bounces-off-trump-jr-lands-on-schiff/

It is an issue which we surely butt heads with in the future.

jfinnegan said:

What I want to know is if it affects virtually nobody why is he at the same time claiming he saved millions of lives by shutting down flights from China?

I believe that until we have a proven vaccine, all speculation on why so many died is ghoulish and heartbreaking to survivors. Hurling recriminations is speculating  for political gain. God only knows how many people world-wide died.

This is what is taking place in Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean. Who is to blame? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/world/americas/mexico-coronavirus-covid-iztapalapa.html

mtierney said:

I admit my legal background is non-existent, but this might be fodder for the lawyers here to  debate...

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/08/whistleblower-outing-accusation-from-view-co-host-bounces-off-trump-jr-lands-on-schiff/

It is an issue which we surely butt heads with in the future.

Here's the legal explanation -

It's stupid to argue that Schiff violated any law with his exaggerated discussion of what Trump actually did.  Only people with a serious lack of ability to "get a clue" would take that argument in "The Federalist" seriously.

"Stupid" is, in fact, the appropriate term.

mtierney said:

I believe that until we have a proven vaccine, all speculation on why so many died is ghoulish and heartbreaking to survivors. Hurling recriminations is speculating  for political gain. God only knows how many people world-wide died.

This is what is taking place in Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean. Who is to blame? 

We're not in Mexico, Central and South America, or the Caribbean.

Telling people, "Don't discuss the dead", as a way to deflect criticism of Trump, is offensive.

mtierney said:

It takes a self-punishing curiosity to read beyond “given that our government seems to have criminalized nearly everything.”

It also takes a self-punishing curiosity to idly wonder why a nearly year-old Federalist article popped up today.

mtierney said:

jfinnegan said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/world/americas/mexico-coronavirus-covid-iztapalapa.html

from the person who obsessed for years over 4 people dying in Benghazi.

Pandemics are natural disasters largely beyond human control (though not entirely -- the voracious pace of habitat destruction has made disease crossing over from animals to humans far more likely). Our response to natural disaster, though, is firmly in the realm of human collective action. In other words, in the realm of politics.

The good news about that is that we are not lacking in agency. We can choose to act in ways that mitigate the worst outcomes.

The bad news about that is that we can also choose to act in ways the make thesituation worse. From the article:

No part of the world has been as devastated by the pandemic as Latin America. Mexico, Brazil, Peru and other Latin American countries — hobbled by weak health systems, severe inequality and government indifference — have several of the highest deaths per capita from the virus in the world.

Those weak health system, that severe inequality, that government indifference -- those are the result of political choices. And, sadly and infuriatingly, those are choices that increasingly are being followed closer to home. In another thread I noted that the US has been an outlier compared to other presidential democracies in its stability, wealth and relative freedom from corruption and dysfunction. Under Trump, we're increasingly acting like other western-hemisphere presidential systems, and starting to resemble them in our outcomes.

From an op-ed on Mexican president Obrador's response to the coronavirus:

Throughout the crisis, López Obrador has chosen to ignore basic sanitary norms, touring the country during quarantine, refusing to wear a sanitary mask (he made an exception
when he visited President Trump a couple of months ago) and promising a
premature conclusion to the virus’s devastation in Mexico.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

nohero said:

Telling people, "Don't discuss the dead", as a way to deflect criticism of Trump, is offensive.

Twist what I wrote is a habit of yours — not cool.

“I believe that until we have a proven vaccine, all speculation on why so many died is ghoulish and heartbreaking to survivors. Hurling recriminations is speculating for political gain.”

mtierney said:

nohero said:

“I believe that until we have a proven vaccine, all speculation on why so many died is ghoulish and heartbreaking to survivors. Hurling recriminations is speculating for political gain.”

Research into why people died is how scientists and medical professionals have been able to reduce the number of deaths per cases.   I would rather they “speculate” as to why my friends and family died and find a cure then sit on their hands waiting for a vaccine.

This same research has found strategies to try to reduce the number of cases overall.  Unfortunately people are listening to politicians instead of the experts and mock those trying to lower cases and deaths so...

ml1 said:

from the person who obsessed for years over 4 people dying in Benghazi.

All lives lost matter — especially when mendacity is the weapon of choice.

I came across this 1918 photo by chance, and decided to share it here to demonstrate how some things never change. It’s the human condition. No guns to be seen, but plenty of batons.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Nothing was twisted. "Until we have a proven vaccine" has nothing to do with discussing the truth about the current President and his handling - or mishandling - of the Covid-19 challenge.  Using the fact that "so many died" as a reason not to discuss it is offensive.  Which is what I already said.

mtierney said:

All lives lost matter — especially when mendacity is the weapon of choice.

according to you, all lives except the ones who've died due to Trump's mendacity. 

mtierney said:

I think you somehow missed your talking points from Fox News. Trump realized that with all his sleepy Joe talk, he set the bar so incredibly low for their first debate, that Biden is almost guaranteed to exceed expectations, he basically just has to show up and stay alive during the debate. So now it's all about how great of a debater Biden is and how he is expected to do great at the debate.

Biden messed up the Pledge of Allegiance recently! Also apparently totally forgot the point he was trying to make about the virus (I’ll Try to get the clip). 

Next Tuesday should be interesting...

On the one hand, you're just continuing the same ridiculous behavior you always have. On the other hand, to be focused on verbal gaffes while looking away from Trump's deadly choice to always double down on making all our crises more deadly, more violent, and just generally worse in every way is pretty grotesque. I largely ignore you, but every once in a while the sheer ugliness of it catches me.

mtierney said:

Biden messed up the Pledge of Allegiance recently! Also apparently totally forgot the point he was trying to make about the virus (I’ll Try to get the clip). 

Don't bother trying to "get the clip".  It's just another lie from the Trump campaign that they posted on the Facebook.  Please don't share those lies here. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Don't bother trying to "get the clip".  It's just another lie from the Trump campaign that they posted on the Facebook.  Please don't share those lies here. 

That’s just its’ way of being helpful.   Like it’s part of the community. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.