The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Anyone remember George Costanza sitting at his company’s conference table discussing nicknames?

mtierney said:

Let’s agree the statement was ambiguous at best — a copy editor’s nightmare. 

No, I can’t agree with you there. But speaking of editing nightmares ...

Trump ad asks people to support the troops. But it uses a picture of Russian jets. (Politico)

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Let’s agree the statement was ambiguous at best — a copy editor’s nightmare. 

No, I can’t agree with you there. But speaking of editing nightmares ...

Trump ad asks people to support the troops. But it uses a picture of Russian jets. (Politico)

Saw this today and it made me think of our deplorable friend.

Trump and the gang are staying "on brand". 

I love these high-density monologues by D Dale

It's going to take a while for CNN's fact-checker to get through what he accurately labels "a firehose of lying" from Trump last night.  

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/09/16/daniel-dale-fact-check-trump-abc-town-hall-ctn-sot-bts-vpx.cnn

President Trump wants you all to hear this, so turn up your sound and hit the "play" arrow, especially if you're a big Trump supporter.  

What it’s all about.

Takeaway: Joe Biden is more facile with a cellphone than I am.

More Biden rambles...

Watching him is a little like watching someone walk along a wire stretched over a canyon — fascination and fear combined.

What Biden actually said:

Donald Trump's climate denial may not have caused these fires and record floods and record hurricanes. But if he gets a second term, these hellish events will continue to become more common, more devastating, and more deadly. We have four more years of Trump's climate denial.

How many suburbs will be burned in wildfires? How many suburban neighborhoods will have been flooded out? How many suburbs will have been blown away in super storms?

If you give a climate arsonist four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised if we have more America ablaze. If you give a climate denier four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised when more of America is under water? We need a president respects science, who understands that the damage from climate change is already here. And unless we take urgent action, it will soon be more catastrophic.

And aren’t effective promises supposed to be the best kind?

How many times do you have to be told - it's unfair to use the actual words when a Trump fan is trying to make a point.  

DaveSchmidt said:

What Biden actually said:

Donald Trump's climate denial may not have caused these fires and record floods and record hurricanes. But if he gets a second term, these hellish events will continue to become more common, more devastating, and more deadly. We have four more years of Trump's climate denial.

How many suburbs will be burned in wildfires? How many suburban neighborhoods will have been flooded out? How many suburbs will have been blown away in super storms?

If you give a climate arsonist four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised if we have more America ablaze. If you give a climate denier four more years in the White House, why would anyone be surprised when more of America is under water? We need a president respects science, who understands that the damage from climate change is already here. And unless we take urgent action, it will soon be more catastrophic.

And aren’t effective promises supposed to be the best kind?

mtierney said:

More Biden rambles...

Watching him is a little like watching someone walk along a wire stretched over a canyon — fascination and fear combined.

it really doesn't matter what he says does it?  He could deliver the equivalent of the Gettysburg Address and you'd call him confused and rambling.

mtierney said:

More Biden rambles...

I've asked a number of times for the citations to these claims, mostly because they're usually deceptive.

This one comes from Tyler O'Neil (click the name to see a list of his "articles", including the one containing the dishonest description of what Biden said).  Mr. O'Neill doesn't just specialize in political deception, but he also posts racist and homophobic material.

He's not an "author" who should be posted on this message board, even if it's concealed (as it was in this case).

[Edited to fix spelling of O'Neil" per Mr. DaveSchmidt's hint]

The one-l O’Neil

He writes canards

The two-l O’Neill

Plays for the Cards

And I will bet

A silicone heel

There isn’t any

Three-l O’Neilll

OMG - I can't believe Trump actually left that Biden video in his Twitter feed.  How long will it stay there?  Will any republicans call him out on it?

Trump is now hyper unhinged.  But no one is stopping him.  

Seriously - mtierney are ok with Trump retweeting a doctored video with the N-word in it?  Do you support this rhetoric from our president?  Or is it just Trump being Trump?

jamie said:

Seriously - mtierney are ok with Trump retweeting a doctored video with the N-word in it?  Do you support this rhetoric from our president?  Or is it just Trump being Trump?

Mtierney doesn’t care that the president of the United States spread an obviously doctored video and asked what it was all about.

DaveSchmidt said:

jamie said:

Mtierney doesn’t care that the president of the United States spread an obviously doctored video and asked what it was all about.

Silly cat video in 3 ... 2 ... 1

Am I the only one who thinks that cat looks abused?  What is she doing to contort it into those absurd positions.

The woman would cram toddlers into a cage, I am willing to believe she would do about anything to a cat.

Klinker said:

Am I the only one who thinks that cat looks abused?

I don’t know if you are. But you would have been my bet to be the one who’d post a comment like that here.

DaveSchmidt said:

Fake news is available for the taking. There are many examples available, depending on your  political persuasion.

I watched that Biden speech as it was given. Could have dozed off. I did not track down the source. But, it pretty much summed up my take.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Fake news is available for the taking. There are many examples available, depending on your  political persuasion.

I watched that Biden speech as it was given. Could have dozed off. I did not track down the source. But, it pretty much summed up my take.

So you are saying that it is ok for the President of the United Stated to spread lies.    Do you think the President has any responsibility to verify something he sees on social media as not being “fake news” before he shares it with America as fact?

Not understanding what that has to do with your enjoyment of Biden’s speech.

mtierney said:

there is indeed a lot of fake news.  But most of us try not to spread it, and a lot of us can spot the most egregious examples pretty easily.  Like Joe Biden allegedly smiling and grooving to an NWA track -- an obvious fake from the get-go. I have to believe even Trump knew it was phony and shared it anyway.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

So you're fine with the president posting doctored video of Biden playing music with the N word.  LOL As long as it's "out there" it's fine for our president to use?  

Is there any boundary a sitting president shouldn't cross"?  Should he EVER lead by example?  

Phony soundtracks on a Biden video are okay now.  It's not like the old days - back in July.

mtierney said:

Gee whiz, I leave for a day or two, and you all bicker amongst yourselves!

As I commented on this or perhaps another, I warned that photoshopping or altering comments, or attributing words incorrectly, is very dangerous. Just because we can all be wise guys on social media doesn’t make it OK.

DaveSchmidt said:

I don’t know if you are. But you would have been my bet to be the one who’d post a comment like that here.

Just calling it like I see it.  

jamie said:

So you're fine with the president posting doctored video of Biden playing music with the N word.  LOL As long as it's "out there" it's fine for our president to use?  

Is there any boundary a sitting president shouldn't cross"?  Should he EVER lead by example?  

Are you saying that the screaming heard on that “music” contained the N word? The words were indistinguishable to me. Had no idea. Biden seemed to be really grooving and enjoying himself.

It appears one of his aides set him up?

I seriously doubt the person asking the question was an undecided voter. His response however is bizarre. He campaigned on "repeal and replace Obamacare" on "the first day in office". That was 4 years ago, and he never came up with the replacement plan until this very day. Then he failed to repeal it, although he is still pursuing that in court. Now he wants us to believe he ran Obamacare better than Obama ran it and/or he has a much better replacement plan ready already. I understand that if you live in the Fox News bubble, you never even see this, but if you are a real independent voter and you hear this? Really?

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/voter-trump-affordable-care-act-preexisting-conditions-025730245.html

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.