The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

This recap describes how Pearl Harbor was a “surprise attack” — all eyes were elsewhere...

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/was-fdr-planning-joining-world-war-ii-pearl-harbor-29772

mtierney said:

This recap describes how Pearl Harbor was a “surprise attack” — all eyes were elsewhere...

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/was-fdr-planning-joining-world-war-ii-pearl-harbor-29772

Right, but I was commenting on what FDR did or did not do in response to the surprise attack.  

Specifically, I said "Imagine, if FDR had refused to mobilize and instead done nothing while he waited for the Manhattan Project to be completed."

To which you replied "I suggest you brush up on your history."

Respectfully, I would like to ask what you meant by that statement.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/on-this-day-fdr-approves-funding-the-manhattan-project

Thanks for getting me to google back into history, sorry if my earlier comment appeared snide. 

Can you imagine a president, along with many other people, being able to keep a secret today from the American people, as well as from his own vice president?

While TV did not play a role in political coverage back in that day, there were multiple newspapers publishing multiple editions a day in New York and other major cities. No whistleblowers? No tell-all books by insiders wishing to make a buck, regardless of the fall-out for our country?

The Press rarely used photos which revealed the painful reality of FDR’s paralysis and his steel leg braces. They also kept mum about Roosevelt’s private extramarital relationships throughout his multiple terms in office. Did the secrecy surrounding President Roosevelt allow the Atomic Bomb to proceed?

mtierney said:

Can you imagine a president, along with many other people, being able to keep a secret today from the American people, as well as from his own vice president? 

Like, for example, his tax returns? Or the details of his business ties to Russia?

basil said:

Like, for example, his tax returns? Or the details of his business ties to Russia?

Tax returns, versus the creation and deployment of Atomic Bombs? Bit of a stretch, IMHO. 

Ties to Russia? The attempt to impeach failed. Still a sore point, I see. How will the Biden family interests in Ukraine play out? OMG, what about Hilary’s lost emails?

How about the scrubbing of 26 phones by the Mueller team? That is the latest scandal.

Надеюсь, вы проживете достаточно долго, чтобы увидеть, как этого человека посадят в тюрьму, его семья изменит свое имя и сбежит из страны.

mtierney said:

The attempt to impeach failed.

This is false. Trump was impeached. 

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

The attempt to impeach failed.

This is false. Trump was impeached. 

You liberals with all your facts and logic. It’s all a hoax. Fake news! Lügenpresse!

mtierney said:

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/on-this-day-fdr-approves-funding-the-manhattan-project

Thanks for getting me to google back into history, sorry if my earlier comment appeared snide. 

While TV did not play a role in political coverage back in that day, there were multiple newspapers publishing multiple editions a day in New York and other major cities. No whistleblowers? No tell-all books by insiders wishing to make a buck, regardless of the fall-out for our country?

The Press rarely used photos which revealed the painful reality of FDR’s paralysis and his steel leg braces. They also kept mum about Roosevelt’s private extramarital relationships throughout his multiple terms in office. Did the secrecy surrounding President Roosevelt allow the Atomic Bomb to proceed?

I am not sure how this relates to my original comment.  Can we at least agree that it would have been very bad if FDR had denied the reality of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, refused to mobilize the American military and done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project?

This seems like a pretty simple assertion that anyone with a glancing familiarity with the history could agree with.

Your thoughts?

mtierney said:

Tax returns, versus the creation and deployment of Atomic Bombs? Bit of a stretch, IMHO. 

Ties to Russia? The attempt to impeach failed. Still a sore point, I see. How will the Biden family interests in Ukraine play out? OMG, what about Hilary’s lost emails?

How about the scrubbing of 26 phones by the Mueller team? That is the latest scandal.

if CNN is reporting does that mean the  Hindenburg represents Fox News?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

if CNN is reporting does that mean the  Hindenburg represents Fox News?

Hint: if you have to explain a cartoon, it is not a good cartoon

GoSlugs said:

I am not sure how this relates to my original comment.  Can we at least agree that it would have been very bad if FDR had denied the reality of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, refused to mobilize the American military and done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project.

Your thoughts?

Not responding to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was never an option for FDR. There could be no denial of the loss of life and destruction of the American ships at the naval base. Roosevelt had no positive delivery date — in 1941, the bomb was in still early days of development, years away from completion.

All this info was in the articles I linked. I don’t understand why you still believe FDR could have “done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project.”

FDR was dead when the little haberdasher, Vice President Harry Truman, from the Midwest, who had no prior knowledge of the development of the deadly bomb, gave the orders to use the atomic bombs, successfully ending the war. 

mtierney said:

I don’t understand why you still believe FDR could have “done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project.”

This is false. GoSlugs does not believe that FDR could have done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project. 

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

I don’t understand why you still believe FDR could have “done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project.”

This is false. GoSlugs does not believe that FDR could have done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project. 

Don't even bother, if Ms. Mtierney has hopelessly confused what the original point was.  It's probably a tactic anyway.

Several times this weekend, Trump has claimed that he received the "Bay of Pigs Award". 

Either nobody on his staff wants to correct him, or they do correct him and he just keeps repeating his stupid statement.  

nohero said:

Several times this weekend, Trump has claimed that he received the "Bay of Pigs Award". 

Either nobody on his staff wants to correct him, or they do correct him and he just keeps repeating his stupid statement.  

Weren't the Bay of Pigs veterans LOSERS? 

ml1 said:

Weren't the Bay of Pigs veterans LOSERS? 

Some were captured.  I would have thought that Trump only wanted awards from people who weren't captured. 

nohero said:

Some were captured.  I would have thought that Trump only wanted awards from people who weren't captured. 

in my history classes I don't every recall reading the words "Bay of Pigs" without it being followed by "fiasco."

DaveSchmidt said:

Let’s agree the statement was ambiguous at best — a copy editor’s nightmare. Double negatives in your comment stir the pot.

mtierney said:

GoSlugs said:

I am not sure how this relates to my original comment.  Can we at least agree that it would have been very bad if FDR had denied the reality of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, refused to mobilize the American military and done nothing but wait for the completion of the Manhattan Project.

Your thoughts?

Not responding to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was never an option for FDR. 

Of course it was an option.  The results would have been disastrous and cost hundreds of thousands of additional American lives but it certainly was an option just as lying about Covid, doing nothing and waiting for a vaccine was an option for Trump.

Just because something is a terrible idea don't mean it wasn't an option.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

I would argue that it was an incredibly bad option that would/should have resulted in the President's impeachment and removal from office if he had chosen it.  No sane leader, however, would have even considered it either then or now.

Just imagine how stupid these people think the average Trump supporter is

drummerboy said:

Just imagine how stupid these people think the average Trump supporter is

Very. And they know it. That is why Ronna knows her comment is believable.

Another good example of why Woodward will not shake the faith of one yahoo.

And rich exploiters of their useful idiot will shrug and laugh: Ain't no virus on my yacht.

CNN has obtained excerpts of the 10-minute conversation, which show Trump was more focused on the economy than the public health crisis. As the two debated Trump's response to the pandemic, Trump finally asked: "So you think the virus totally supersedes the economy?""Oh sure. But they're related, as you know," Woodward responded."A little bit, yeah," Trump replied."Oh, a little bit?" Woodward asked. "I mean, more than a little bit. But the economy is doing -- look, we're close to a new stock market record," Trump said.

cnn.com

Regarding the increase in death rate of middle-class whites. And for me, the “explanation” of  the support of non-rich folks for a wealthy NY grifter:

We may underestimate, though, the aftershocks of a shift in demographics, the erosion of labor unions, the perceived loss of status, the fears about their place in the world, and resentment that the kind of security their fathers could rely upon might now be waning in what were supposed to be the best years of their lives. Rising immigration from across the Pacific and the Rio Grande and the ascendance of a black man as president made for an inversion of the world as many had known it, and some of them might have been more susceptible to the calls to “take our country back” after 2008 and to “make America great again” in 2016.

In America, political scientists have given this malaise of insecurities a name: dominant group status threat. This phenomenon “is not the usual form of prejudice or stereotyping that involves looking down on outgroups who are perceived to be inferior,” writes Diana Mutz, a political scientist at the University of Pennsylvania. “Instead, it is born of a sense that the outgroup is doing too well and thus, is a viable threat to one’s own dominant group status.”

Excerpt From

Wilkerson, Isabel. “Caste”

GL2 said:

“Instead, it is born of a sense that the outgroup is doing too well and thus, is a viable threat to one’s own dominant group status.”

Unless that outgroup is achieving their success via crime, people who think this way deserve to be eliminated via evolution and natural selection. 

President Stable-Genius-Who-Can-Identify-a-Camel was on the TV this morning.  

Mattis interviews for the defense job:

September 15, 2020Chapter One

“Is your name Mad Dog?” Trump asked. “Your nickname?” “No, sir.” “What is it?” “Chaos.” “I don’t like that name,” said Trump. “Well, that’s my name.” “I thought it was Mad Dog.” No, that came from someone else. Mattis blamed the media. “Do you mind if I change your name to Mad Dog?” “You can sort of do whatever you want.” “Mad Dog Mattis,” Trump said. “That works out great.” Can you do the job?

Excerpt From

Woodward, Bob. “Rage.” Simon & Schuster, 2020-09-15. Apple Books.
This material may be protected by copyright.

GL2 said:

Mattis interviews for the defense job:

September 15, 2020Chapter One

“Is your name Mad Dog?” Trump asked. “Your nickname?” “No, sir.” “What is it?” “Chaos.” “I don’t like that name,” said Trump. “Well, that’s my name.” “I thought it was Mad Dog.” No, that came from someone else. Mattis blamed the media. “Do you mind if I change your name to Mad Dog?” “You can sort of do whatever you want.” “Mad Dog Mattis,” Trump said. “That works out great.” Can you do the job?

Excerpt From

Woodward, Bob. “Rage.” Simon & Schuster, 2020-09-15. Apple Books.
This material may be protected by copyright.

The material from Woodward gives me new respect, for the restrained subtlety of Alec Baldwin's portrayal of Trump.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.