The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

nohero said:

Rest of the year, perfectly okay.

Never a good day to wear Bronx Colors Orange

ridski said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

I was thinking orange hair style similarity, not a historical link smile

ml1 said:

surprised your Irish relatives never mentioned the Orange.

Actually, I remember my father  got riled up when I came home with a new winter coat. It was a rust colored cloth coat and I loved it.

Pop took one look and told me to take it back to the store! He said it was orange and no daughter of his...........

I kept the coat, but victory was bitter sweet. I always hated ever making my father angry or upset. I loved him so.

ml1 said:

galileo said:

If you are Irish never wear orange on St Patrick’s Day.

and never on any day order a Black & Tan in an Irish pub

Irish Car Bombs are perfectly fine, though.

ridski said:

go for it

That drink is revolting. However, I do like Irish Flag shots. 

jfinnegan said:

That drink is revolting. However, I do like Irish Flag shots. 

I had no idea, so I looked it up, and found this not-exactly-ringing endorsement of the flavor:

The flavors of the three liqueurs are not the most complementary to one another. While the taste of orange and mint is probably not the best combination, the creamy center helps bring them together. It's also not the worst-tasting shot you can make and some people do like this one for its taste.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/irish-flag-shooter-recipe-759704

ml1 said:

ridski said:

go for it

I was being sarcarstic

ridski said:

I was being sarcarstic

so was I grin

Without being sarcastic, I ask if there is a message here for America and 2020?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/world/europe/uk-election-labour-redwall.html

Candidate Bloomberg has some ‘splaining” to do ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/14/nyregion/tessa-majors-columbia-morningside.html

“We know that, just because of one incident, we shouldn’t make broad-stroke judgments about people who live here, but it’s hard if it affects a member of our community,” he said.

The park itself, which slopes downward toward Harlem, is clearly demarcated by an imposing rocky wall. Its playgrounds and ball fields have replaced patches that were once strewn with crack vials. And although crime has dropped in the neighborhood over the years, incidents in the park persist.

Earlier this year, several people reported that they had been approached from behind in the park and punched by young people.

Since June, five people reported being robbed on or near the staircase at 116th Street and Morningside Drive, near the spot where Ms. Majors was killed.

The local city councilman, Mark Levine, called the park much safer than it was 20 years ago, but added that the recent uptick in robberies was “unacceptable.”

He said that some of the messages his office received from constituents after the attack were “laced with ugly and inappropriate racial comments” — some demanding the return of stop and frisk and a more aggressive style of policing more common two decades ago.

“One of my concerns arising from the young age of the suspects in this case is that there’ll be pressure on police to ratchet up aggressive enforcement on kids as young as 13,” Mr. Levine said.

That last quote explains why the police are in an enforcement bind. 

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/14/nyregion/tessa-majors-columbia-morningside.html

Based on the incident and the article - why?  Please explain. 

mtierney said:

“We know that, just because of one incident, we shouldn’t make broad-stroke judgments about people who live here, but it’s hard if it affects a member of our community,” he said.

The park itself, which slopes downward toward Harlem, is clearly demarcated by an imposing rocky wall. Its playgrounds and ball fields have replaced patches that were once strewn with crack vials. And although crime has dropped in the neighborhood over the years, incidents in the park persist.

Earlier this year, several people reported that they had been approached from behind in the park and punched by young people.

Since June, five people reported being robbed on or near the staircase at 116th Street and Morningside Drive, near the spot where Ms. Majors was killed.

The local city councilman, Mark Levine, called the park much safer than it was 20 years ago, but added that the recent uptick in robberies was “unacceptable.”

He said that some of the messages his office received from constituents after the attack were “laced with ugly and inappropriate racial comments” — some demanding the return of stop and frisk and a more aggressive style of policing more common two decades ago.

“One of my concerns arising from the young age of the suspects in this case is that there’ll be pressure on police to ratchet up aggressive enforcement on kids as young as 13,” Mr. Levine said.

That last quote explains why the police are in an enforcement bind. 

Do you know the stats on "stop and frisk"? It's not an "enforcement bind" if the tactic is completely ineffective. The concern is that there will be pressure on the police to renew a tactic that has almost zero usefulness, but that targets people of color for harassment. 

Meanwhile, the head of the police union is blaming the victim, saying that she went to the park to get marijuana. Classy guy.

nohero said:

Bloomberg recently apologized for the “stop and  frisk” policing in NYC.

ml1 said:

Do you know the stats on "stop and frisk"? It's not an "enforcement bind" if the tactic is completely ineffective. The concern is that there will be pressure on the police to renew a tactic that has almost zero usefulness, but that targets people of color for harassment. 

Anyone who has lived/worked in NYC after Mayor Rudy will tell you that under the wannabe president/current Mayor the city is in a decline reminiscent of the ‘70s.

No comment on the fear 13 year olds might be targeted by police? How will police be able to stop teens bent on a life of murder or mayhem if we (police and public) don’t intervene and help the kids avoid a life of poverty and crime?

“Ratching up aggressive enforcement” might better be called social intervention.

mtierney said:

Anyone who has lived/worked in NYC after Mayor Rudy will tell you that under the wannabe president/current Mayor the city is in a decline reminiscent of the ‘70s.

No comment on the fear 13 year olds might be targeted by police? How will police be able to stop teens bent on a life of murder or mayhem if we (police and public) don’t intervene and help the kids avoid a life of poverty and crime?

“Ratching up aggressive enforcement” might better be called social intervention.

I'm in NYC every day, and I have been for nearly 30 years.  The city is absolutely, positively, not in a decline (aside from the subway, which is actually because of Albany, not NYC).  The city is many, many, many times safer than it was in the early '90s.  There is a person in my group who takes her young kids to the very park where the young woman was murdered.  The park is exponentially more safe than it was 20 years ago.  Even one murder is not acceptable, but to use one incident to make a false statement about crime in NY is wrong.

With regard to police stops of young teens -- it isn't a social intervention meant to avoid a life of poverty and crime.  It's harassment.  Social intervention would be a very different thing.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Bloomberg recently apologized for the “stop and  frisk” policing in NYC.

It's always helpful to explain the first time, instead of waiting for someone to ask.

The "stop and frisk" aspect is expertly addressed in Mr. Ml1's responses, so I'll defer to him. 

mtierney said:

You're probably describing 20 million people.  Well done Sans.  Exactly the kind of ignorant, judgmental, holier than thou behavior I expect from you.  But please continue to scan the paper and post articles you find joyful because they can be interpreted to blame respectable people.  

Tis the season...

Right?...

Happy Holidays...

You're a disgrace...

ml1 said:

I'm in NYC every day, and I have been for nearly 30 years.  The city is absolutely, positively, not in a decline (aside from the subway, which is actually because of Albany, not NYC).  The city is many, many, many times safer than it was in the early '90s.  There is a person in my group who takes her young kids to the very park where the young woman was murdered.  The park is exponentially more safe than it was 20 years ago.  Even one murder is not acceptable, but to use one incident to make a false statement about crime in NY is wrong.

With regard to police stops of young teens -- it isn't a social intervention meant to avoid a life of poverty and crime.  It's harassment.  Social intervention would be a very different thing.

You have more patience than me. I would have just called mt's claim a FOXNews driven delusional fever dream and been done with it.

Kill the messenger only means the message reflects a real issue. Denial is a River in Egypt.

mtierney said:

Kill the messenger only means the message reflects a real issue. Denial is a River in Egypt.

It's not "kill the messenger."  It's pointing out that the facts are 180 degrees opposite of what you are stating.  You could not possibly be more wrong on a factual basis.  Seriously, deeply, incorrect through and through.  If anyone is in denial on this topic it is YOU.

‘Simply not acceptable’: Homicides in NYC up 9%, mayor vows to reverse trend

'Simply not acceptable' quote is from Mayor De Blasio press conference reported 12052019 in the Daily News.

Link to Daily News Article:https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-nyc-murders-jump-as-city-closes-out-2019-20191205-5qg6ugyfj5hxhgafuzll3vjrae-story.html

Brief excerpt from the above link:

With just four weeks to go before the end of the year, the NYPD is facing a worrying uptick in murders, making it the first time since 2017 that the city will end the year with more than 300 homicides.

By the end of November, the NYPD had investigated 299 killings this year — compared to 275 during the same period last year, a 9% increase.

“It’s simply not acceptable," Mayor de Blasio said. “Let me me clear: Everyone’s doing their job and everyone is digging deeper to get under the skin of this and address it. But we are not going to accept this situation [emphasis added].”

The number of shootings in the city also jumped, from 696 by this time last year to 720 so far this year, an increase of 3%.

RealityForAll said:

'Simply not acceptable' quote is from Mayor De Blasio press conference reported 12052019 in the Daily News.

Link to Daily News Article:https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-nyc-murders-jump-as-city-closes-out-2019-20191205-5qg6ugyfj5hxhgafuzll3vjrae-story.html

With just four weeks to go before the end of the year, the NYPD is facing a worrying uptick in murders, making it the first time since 2017 that the city will end the year with more than 300 homicides.

By the end of November, the NYPD had investigated 299 killings this year — compared to 275 during the same period last year, a 9% increase.

“It’s simply not acceptable," Mayor de Blasio said. “Let me me clear: Everyone’s doing their job and everyone is digging deeper to get under the skin of this and address it. But we are not going to accept this situation [emphasis added].”

The number of shootings in the city also jumped, from 696 by this time last year to 720 so far this year, an increase of 3%.

do you somehow think this validates mt's claim?

of course you do - why else post it?

drummerboy said:

RealityForAll said:

Is the NYC murder rate going up or down, so far, for 2019?

According to the mayor, the rate is going up for 2019.

Is the NYC murder rate going up a problem that needs to be addressed?

According to the mayor, “[the murder rate is] simply not acceptable", and "we are not going to accept this situation."

Do you disagree with the statistics and conclusions presented by the mayor?

Isn't the real problem from your perspective the following: Mayor De Blasio's POV on the NYC murder rate does NOT fit into your narrative?

NYC is in a decline. 

There's pressure to keep the stats down. To categorize felony crimes as misdemeanors and to ignore crimes when they occur. Part of it is Compstat where precinct and district CO's are required at headquarters to "explain" their crime stats. For them it can be very unpleasant when their crimes go up. Why did it go up? Not doing your job? Maybe we should put someone in who can. Part political.

One thing that can't be hidden is homicides.

as I mentioned above, even one murder is one too many.  But one year doesn't make a trend.

RealityForAll said:

drummerboy said:

RealityForAll said:

Is the NYC murder rate going up or down, so far, for 2019?

According to the mayor, the rate is going up for 2019.

Is the NYC murder rate going up a problem that needs to be addressed?

According to the mayor, “[the murder rate is] simply not acceptable", and "we are not going to accept this situation."

Do you disagree with the statistics and conclusions presented by the mayor?

Isn't the real problem from your perspective the following: Mayor De Blasio's POV on the NYC murder rate does NOT fit into your narrative?

look at mt's claim please. a blip in crime stats does not equate to "Anyone who has lived/worked in NYC after Mayor Rudy will tell you that  under the wannabe president/current Mayor the city is in a decline
reminiscent of the ‘70s."

Do you disagree that I am correct about that?

Isn't the real problem that you are creating a narrative that doesn't fit reality?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.