The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

nohero said:

mtierney said:

But this was the NYT headline today. And we all know that headlines are enough to feed the news to lots of folks.

Report on F.B.I. Russia Inquiry Finds Serious Errors but Debunks Anti-Trump Plot

The headline is accurate.  

[Edited to add] The real leading point should be, "Debunks Anti-Trump Plot".  As usual, the NY Times is trying for a phony "balance", because the report also found the "serious errors" did not invalidate any part of the FBI's investigation, including the FISA warrants that Trump rants about.

Exactly. The IG investigation was stated because of whining that the FBI plotted against Trump. Therefore, the headline correctly should have stated that there was no anti-Trump plot. The story detail would bring up that there were errors.

I'm not surprised. To be expected from our weak kneed major media.

Sometimes I watch PBS and the Sunday news shows. We always find this balance. The need, to have some politician or pundit rebut, no matter how silly. With newsreaders asking both sides questions.

When Walter Cronkite, initially a Viet Nam war supporter, came back from his Nam visit, he blasted that war as unwinnable. It causes Johnson to say "if I lost Cronkite, I lost the country." In our current "balanced" media regime, Cronkite wouldn't be allowed give his opinion. Instead we would have seen a pro-war and anti-war debate between pundits.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

But this was the NYT headline today. And we all know that headlines are enough to feed the news to lots of folks.

Report on F.B.I. Russia Inquiry Finds Serious Errors but Debunks Anti-Trump Plot

The headline is accurate.  

[Edited to add] The real leading point should be, "Debunks Anti-Trump Plot".  As usual, the NY Times is trying for a phony "balance", because the report also found the "serious errors" did not invalidate any part of the FBI's investigation, including the FISA warrants that Trump rants about.

The actual headline, on the top of the front page, is much more accurate. 

nohero said:

so where did mtierney's headline come from, the online edition? 

ml1 said:

nohero said:

so where did mtierney's headline come from, the online edition? 

Yes, which means it’s AL-so an actual headline. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Yes, which means it’s AL-so an actual headline. 

Thank you! I only have the print edition of the Sunday paper delivered.

mtierney said:

Fuss and feathers, aside, there is this...

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/nov/06/could-donald-trump-be-impeached-removed-and-then-r/

If 2016 taught us anything it is that, with enough Russian hackers on your side, anything is possible.

That said, the minute he leaves office, he will be subject to indictment, even using the bizarro Baar Standard.  Do you think he could be an effective President in prison?

hey mt, whaddaya think of this?

This is like the third judgement against him since the election.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1204493277543702530?s=20

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/us/politics/democrats-trump.html

From the link:

“That was not all. Democrats are also on the brink of approving a bipartisan defense bill, the largest in the nation’s history, after weeks of negotiations with Republicans, and intend to pass legislation this week on another issue that Mr. Trump has made a top priority: lowering the cost of prescription drugs.”

Lowering the cost of prescription drugs — which hits every single citizen’s pocket — was put on a back burner by Democrats! How disingenuous can you get? 

mtierney said:

Radley Balko? 

"Radley" is an English name meaning "red meadow".

Maybe his dad didn't want to make him a Barron.

nohero said:

"Radley" is an English name meaning "red meadow".

Maybe his dad didn't want to make him a Barron.

So he named him after a meadow — a red one yet?

mtierney said:

Radley Balko? 

really? how about the $2 million Trump had to pay out?

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

Radley Balko? 

really? how about the $2 million Trump had to pay out?

If it helps, here's an article by a guy named Michael, on the same topic:

Trump pays up: $2M to charities as fine for foundation abuse

President Donald Trump is paying up after conceding that he used his charitable foundation at times as a personal piggy bank.

Trump has wired $2 million to pay a court-ordered fine for misusing the Trump Foundation in part to further his business interests and 2016 presidential run, New York Attorney General Letitia James said Tuesday. The money will be distributed to eight charities.

mtierney said:

The old adage “haste makes waste” proves right once again...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/us/supreme-court-obamacare-insurance.html

I don't get how the adage applies to the story

mtierney said:

So he named him after a meadow — a red one yet?

Well, technically it means "red clearing" as in an area cleared of woodland. My name is very similar and has the same meaning, but without the red bit. I'm just a clearing.

Also... Who's "he" in this scenario?

mtierney said:

Lowering the cost of prescription drugs — which hits every single citizen’s pocket — was put on a back burner by Democrats!

Back burner? Eh? 

ridski said:

Well, technically it means "red clearing" as in an area cleared of woodland. My name is very similar and has the same meaning, but without the red bit. I'm just a clearing.

His father? Or is it his stage name?

mtierney said:

ridski said:

you're just going to ignore the $2 million dollar settlement, huh?

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

Lowering the cost of prescription drugs — which hits every single citizen’s pocket — was put on a back burner by Democrats!

Back burner? Eh? 

Now that the Democrats control one part of congress, the house its their fault. Another story sold to their gullible fools.

What happened when Republicans controlled congress with Trump? Squat.

Then, they could have started lowering drug prices with an easy change in the law. Allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices by revoking the law that prohibits Medicare from negotiating. An easy simple change. Squat.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

Why do you care?

ridski said:

Why do you care?

to avoid the question

From now on, just call me Sward Schmidt.

drummerboy said:

you're just going to ignore the $2 million dollar settlement, huh?

I'll asnwer for her - They got their money so no big deal. Same as Ukraine. 

ridski said:

Why do you care?

I don’t really. But, then I had never heard of Jimmy Dore before I saw nohero’s thread. So, inquiring minds look for more information.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

Why do you care?

I don’t really. But, then I had never heard of Jimmy Dore before I saw nohero’s thread. So, inquiring minds look for more information.

So, any chance you are going to answer drummer boy's question?

The President also issued a mocking defense of his conduct at a rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania, Tuesday night -- arguing that the charges that he abused power and obstructed Congress are "not even a crime."- https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/politics/trump-impeachment-strategy/index.html

What a defense!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.