The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

GL2 said:

DJT lives on 2nd floor. Melania lives on 3rd floor with adjoining Glam Room (who knew such things existed?)

What floor does Barron live on? Seriously. Does the kid live with Mom or Dad? 

I hope he lives in the bowling alley in the basement.  He'd be better off in the long run. 

Good to see that water conservation is officially a federal policy. Although why & how people figure flushing the loo multiple times in a row ‘will work better’ beats me:

- the cistern and related plumbing rarely work like traffic lights

- ours need some time to refill between flushes, so trying to reflush just won’t work.
How did they quantify this anyway???

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/06/trump-says-people-flush-the-toilet-10-times-and-seeks-solution

There must be more practical ways to save water. 

Joanne: Hmmm...way back in the day, we use to have “shaveless Tuesdays (maybe it was Wednesdays?) to conserve water. Wouldn’t work in today’s hairy fashion look. A popular sing-song refrain at the time was “if it’s yellow, let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down.”

Back to “business” (no pun intended  smile ):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/politics/trump-economy-impeachment.html

mtierney said:

This is what the House voted for during a break in the impeachment hearing last Wednesday.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/06/support-just-one-republican-house-passes-historic-bill-restore-and-expand-voting

And...........

mtierney said:

If you read the entire speech, he addresses the deaths in Benghazi and then continues to the remarks I quoted. No mention of a terrorist action, just the unfortunate video and religious right to worship. It was artful, but an obvious effort to deflect attention from a planned, organized attack on the anniversary of 9/11.

Reading of Trumps refusal to characterize the Saudi attack in Florida as terrorism, I am reminded of this thread. Where is mtierney’s outrage today?

mtierney said:

Worse than Mr. Obama flying off to Vegas for a campaign fundraiser the morning after four Americans were murdered? I don't think so. 

You want to know what Trump was doing yesterday afternoon?  Attending a closed door fundraiser, the Republican Party's "Statesman Dinner".

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

Worse than Mr. Obama flying off to Vegas for a campaign fundraiser the morning after four Americans were murdered? I don't think so. 

You want to know what Trump was doing yesterday afternoon?  Attending a closed door fundraiser, the Republican Party's "Statesman Dinner".

While being a-w-f-u-u-u-u-l-y soft on the Saudis.

[insert clip of Trump and his baggy entourage doing sword dance with Saudi princes here]

dave said:

[insert clip of Trump and his baggy entourage doing sword dance with Saudi princes here]

Would love to see that clip again! It was a warm and honest view of POTUS, albeit a hokey pokey scene.

mtierney said:

Would love to see that clip again! It was a warm and honest view of POTUS, albeit a hokey pokey scene.

sure.  that's what most people say about a scene with the POTUS living it up with the leaders of a murderous, oppressive regime -- warm and honest.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

sure.  that's what most people say about a scene with the POTUS living it up with the leaders of a murderous, oppressive regime -- warm and honest.

It's not like they used those swords for anything other than dancing, right? 

nohero said:

I thought I saw one guy carrying a bone saw.

ml1 said:

nohero said:

There's no sound, but a little known fact is that they were dancing to "The foot bone's connected to the, ankle bone.  The ankle bone's connected to the, shin bone.  The shin bone's connected to the, knee bone …"

nohero said:

ml1 said:

nohero said:

There's no sound, but a little known fact is that they were dancing to "The foot bone's connected to the, ankle bone.  The ankle bone's connected to the, shin bone.  The shin bone's connected to the, knee bone …"

I was gonna say that video is painful to watch. (Trump almost has an Elaine-esque quality to his dancing.)

But your post has made it doubly painful.

I still like that video. A guy has got to have a lot of self confidence to get on that dance floor. And amongst free swinging swords to boot!

mtierney said:

I still like that video. A guy has got to have a lot of self confidence to get on that dance floor. And amongst free swinging swords to boot!

I like the one where he’s dancing with models and pedophiles the best.

mtierney said:

A guy has got to have a lot of self confidence to get on that dance floor.

Rare indeed for America to be blessed with a president who has a lot of self-confidence.

Speaking of self-confidence -

I agree with Trump that there is no way that Kim Jong Un would interfere in the U.S. Presidential election against Trump.  He knows a good thing for himself when he sees it.

mtierney said:

You aren't troubled by the President's refusal to admit this was an act of terrorism?  I mean, judging by your hundreds of posts on the subject in the early years of this thread, it is pretty clear these semantics issues are very important to you.

mtierney said:

after you first indicated how heartwarming you thought that video was, I figured you hadn't really thought of the men Trump was dancing with.  But now that you're doubling down, I can't help but be astounded at the callousness.

While the Mayor of New York ships homeless people to East Orang and elsewhere, an “I feel your pain” demonstration takes place here in Times Square, and elsewhere in the world.

I think these folks were not representative of most real homeless...But, of course, it’s the thought that counts...

Mtierney, are you aware that these sleepout nights have been taking place around the world since at least the 80s, when I remember St Vincent de Paul's and the Salvation Army co-sponsored the Melbourne event?? My boss was one of hundreds who not only slept in the city's central parks for several nights that winter, as a business journalist he wrote about his experience so that more families could understand what it means. Many businesses including restaurants now offer better resources and fundraising for their local communities.

From this regular event grew our annual Homelessness Week each August. I'm sure you have similar fundraising and awareness raising occasions which also serve to connect street dwellers with health services, mobile laundries, mobile hairdressers, vets, etc.

mtierney said:

While the Mayor of New York ships homeless people to East Orang and elsewhere, an “I feel your pain” demonstration takes place here in Times Square, and elsewhere in the world.

I think these folks were not representative of most real homeless...But, of course, it’s the thought that counts...

Yes, they were demonstrating the fact that there are people who have no shelter, and who sleep outside even on a cold night like that.  And one possible reaction is "these folks were not representative of most real homeless."

The other possible reaction is, "My God, how is it that we let people go without shelter and sleep out in the cold - and without any sort of adequate covering like these demonstrators have."

“At the same time, Mr. Horowitz’s report was scathing about other aspects of the sprawling inquiry, documenting serious and systematic problems with the F.B.I.’s handling of applications to win court orders to wiretap Carter Page, a former Trump campaign adviser. Mr. Horowitz said investigators appeared to overstate the strength of their applications, and he separately referred one low-ranking F.B.I. lawyer for possible prosecution for altering a related document.”

But this was the NYT headline today. And we all know that headlines are enough to feed the news to lots of folks.

Report on F.B.I. Russia Inquiry Finds Serious Errors but Debunks Anti-Trump Plot

mtierney said:

But this was the NYT headline today. And we all know that headlines are enough to feed the news to lots of folks.

Report on F.B.I. Russia Inquiry Finds Serious Errors but Debunks Anti-Trump Plot

The headline is accurate.  

[Edited to add] The real leading point should be, "Debunks Anti-Trump Plot".  As usual, the NY Times is trying for a phony "balance", because the report also found the "serious errors" did not invalidate any part of the FBI's investigation, including the FISA warrants that Trump rants about.

mtierney said:

“At the same time, Mr. Horowitz’s report was scathing about other aspects of the sprawling inquiry, documenting serious and systematic problems with the F.B.I.’s handling of applications to win court orders to wiretap Carter Page, a former Trump campaign adviser. Mr. Horowitz said investigators appeared to overstate the strength of their applications, and he separately referred one low-ranking F.B.I. lawyer for possible prosecution for altering a related document.”

hmm - for once that looks like an accurate headline from the NYT.

what's the problem with it?

nohero said:

mtierney said:

The headline is accurate.  

I guess that's the problem. we already know mt has a problem with accuracy.

mtierney said:

Yes. A lot of people will focus on the first part when the far more important is the second, which makes it clear there was legitimate reason for starting the investigation  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.