The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/us/democrats-republicans-suburbs.html

Are Maplewood and South Orange still suburbs?  How are suburbs defined today? Would “metropolis” be more accurate?

The first Democratic township committee member in Maplewood was elected in the late ‘70s.

mtierney said:

Are Maplewood and South Orange still suburbs?  How are suburbs defined today? Would “metropolis” be more accurate?

The first Democratic township committee member in Maplewood was elected in the late ‘70s.

Democrats: younger, more diverse, more educated. Republicans: older, white, less educated. Love it! This is a problem that will solve itself.

mtierney said:

Our towns are both suburbs and parts of a metro area. 

And the Republican Party deserted the type of people who live here, not the other way around   

mtierney said:

Please read the article.  It's about that what city people think of as "the suburbs" aren't homogenous. Yes, SOMA/MAPSO is still a suburb. 

The whole article is about a political "dividing line" between different types of suburbs.  It's something that a writer in NYC would think was a significant discovery.  Anyone in New Jersey already has known this for ages.

nohero said:

Please read the article.  It's about that what city people think of as "the suburbs" aren't homogenous. Yes, SOMA/MAPSO is still a suburb. 

The whole article is about a political "dividing line" between different types of suburbs.  It's something that a writer in NYC would think was a significant discovery.  Anyone in New Jersey already has known this for ages.

Don’t know just when I stepped on your toe, Nohero, but let me assure you, every link I post I have read and thought provocative and offered as a conversation starter. You are usually a tad testy toward me, and I have to think you are intolerant of opposing views.

Preaching to the choir is boring.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Don’t know just when I stepped on your toe, Nohero, but let me assure you, every link I post I have read and thought provocative and offered as a conversation starter. You are usually a tad testy toward me, and I have to think you are intolerant of opposing views.

Preaching to the choir is boring.

Then I don't understand why you asked the question.

nohero said:

Then I don't understand why you asked the question.

Reading comprehension is among the very long list of MT's sans.

I have found that our friend mtierney does not as a rule answer questions. So it is not inconsistent for her to ask a question for which she does not want an answer.

What was the question?

Stan that is true, The Elites do answer the questions FOR mtierney as they are apt to do because they are always right.  It maybe why this thread exists;  it's a honeypot for lazy thinking and posturing, blinkered posters 

lord_pabulum said:

Stan that is true, The Elites do answer the questions FOR mtierney as they are apt to do because they are always right.  It maybe why this thread exists;  it's a honeypot for lazy thinking and posturing, blinkered posters 

And what do you have to say about mtierney constantly avoiding giving substantive answers to questions posed by other posters?

mtierney said:

What was the question?

One of these 3, I’d imagine.

“Are Maplewood and South Orange still suburbs? How are suburbs defined today? Would “metropolis” be more accurate?”

lord_pabulum said:It maybe why this thread exists;  it's a honeypot for lazy thinking and posturing, blinkered posters  

Which is why we are all glad you are here

ridski said:

One of these 3, I’d imagine.

“Are Maplewood and South Orange still suburbs? How are suburbs defined today? Would “metropolis” be more accurate?”

Thanks Ridski. Those questions were more ‘rhetorical”  — a query.

I am asked many questions of a gotcha variety. When did you stop beating your wife, etc. I do not answer such questions to avoid stumbling into a MOL trap. I wasn’t born yesterday you know — or even the day before.

People who are entrenched in a bias need to justify that bias and cannot think outside their “bias box” — they feel threatened by opposing opinions. 

What is so scary to me is this lack of objective thinking. The very reason DJT sits in the White House today is due to this blind thinking. Clinton was going to win, so who cared if others had some different hopes and dreams. HRC ran a lackluster campaign and it showed. What was her infamous phrase? Oh, yes. “A basket of deplorables!”

mtierney said:

Americans who want to see our president fail — by whatever means — damaged the the structure of our democracy.

Sedition?

We don't want to see nay presidency fail, realizing a successful presidency is good for all of us. Unlike Republicans with Obama.

You used sedition, an ugly word. What about your servility to Trump, your moral treason?

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else. -President Teddy Roosevelt Kansas City Star (7 May 1918)

Traitor?

mtierney, this is not a gotcha question. What do you think about what Trump said today?

BG9 said:

Traitor?

Of course not. Constructive criticism is just that — constructive.

drummerboy said:

mtierney, this is not a gotcha question. What do you think about what Trump said today?

If DJT cannot remember how many books he’s written, I certainly cannot.

mtierney said:

did you really misunderstand the question, or are you being cute?

mtierney said:

Of course not. Constructive criticism is just that — constructive.

Unless it's directed at the President.  Then it's "wanting to see our president fail — by whatever means — damaged the the structure of our democracy.

Sedition?"

Sans Sense. 

ml1 said:

did you really misunderstand the question, or are you being cute?

Sans reading comprehension.  -or-

Sans ability to answer a reasonable question. 

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

That's what you think the problem with his statement is?

Not that he claimed to be the only guy who recognized OBL as a threat before 9/11?

mt - if you still don't get it, read this, then tell us what you think about Trump's commentary on Bin Laden.

========================================================

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/27/politics/fact-check-donald-trump-osama-bin-laden-book-claim/index.html

(CNN)After announcing the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, President Donald Trump on Sunday took questions from journalists -- and made a major false claim about his past statements on Osama bin Laden.

Trump

claimed he had been prescient about the danger posed by bin Laden,

having called for the death of the al Qaeda leader in a "very

successful" book he published in the year before the September 11, 2001,

terrorist attacks.Trump said that he knew the threat from bin Laden at a time when "nobody" had "ever heard of" bin Laden."About

a year -- you'll have to check it, a year, year and a half before the

World Trade Center came down, the book came out. I was talking about

Osama bin Laden. I said, 'You have to kill him. You have to take him

out.' Nobody listened to me," he said.

"Let's put it this way: if they would have listened to me, a lot of things would have been different," he said.Trump said he still hears people marveling about his supposed declaration."To

this day, I get people coming up to me," he said. "They said, 'You know

what one of the most amazing things I've ever seen about you is that

you predicted that Osama bin Laden had to be killed before he knocked

down the World Trade Center.' It's true. Now, most of the press doesn't

want to write that, but, you know -- but it's true. If you go back, look

at my book."We went back and looked at his book. It's not true.Facts First: Trump's

January 2000 book, "The America We Deserve," mentioned bin Laden once,

but it did not call for bin Laden to be killed or warn that he would

perpetrate a major attack if he were not killed. In a separate section,

the book said the US was in danger of a major terrorist attack that

would make the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center look minor in

comparison -- but it did not predict that bin Laden or al Qaeda would be

the perpetrator of this attack.There

is also no basis for Trump's claim that bin Laden was unknown to

everyone else at the time. Bin Laden was a well-known figure in 2000,

though he had not achieved the prominence he would gain with the attacks

of 2001; the FBI had added him to its Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list in 1999.Here's

the one mention of bin Laden in Trump's book: "Instead of one looming

crisis hanging over us, we face a bewildering series of smaller crises,

flash points, standoffs, and hot spots. We're not playing the chess game

to end all chess games anymore. We're playing tournament chess -- one

master against many rivals. One day we're all assured that Iraq is under

control, the UN inspectors have done their work, everything's fine, not

to worry. The next day the bombing begins. One day we're told that a

shadowy figure with no fixed address named Osama bin-Laden is public

enemy number one, and U.S. jetfighters lay waste to his camp in

Afghanistan. He escapes back under some rock, and a few news cycles

later it's on to a new enemy and new crisis."That was all -- a passing reference.Elsewhere

in the book, Trump wrote, "I really am convinced we're in danger of the

sort of terrorist attacks that will make the bombing of the Trade

Center look like kids playing with firecrackers. No sensible analyst

rejects this possibility, and plenty of them, like me, are not wondering

if but when it will happen."So

Trump explicitly acknowledged that it was a widespread belief among

analysts, not a special insight of his own, that a major attack was

coming.Concerns about bin Laden

plotting an attack were public knowledge by 2000. In June 1999, CNN

published an article that began, "US officials fear that suspected

terrorist Osama bin Laden 'may be in the final stages' of planning an

attack against the United States."

Bin

Laden had been publicly linked to the 1998 bombings of US embassies in

Tanzania and Kenya, and President Bill Clinton retaliated later that

year with cruise missile strikes on sites the Clinton administration

claimed were connected to bin Laden.Sunday

was not the first time Trump had made false claims about what he said

about bin Laden in the 2000 book. He made similar comments during his

presidential campaign, once in an appearance on conspiracy theorist Alex

Jones' show.

Day did not end on a high note for the President. (click arrow to hear chants)

https://twitter.com/adamlongoTV/status/1188623821877760005?s=20

nohero said:

and that's among MLB fans, who tend to skew GOP friendly. Old, white and male. 
      If Trump is losing those guys, he's got a problem. 

ml1 said:

nohero said:

and that's among MLB fans, who tend to skew GOP friendly. Old, white and male. 
      If Trump is losing those guys, he's got a problem. 

It's Washington DC.  Everyone in the stands is either Deep State, Swamp, or Fake News Media. 

Also in the stadium tonight -

Every time I see coordinated, seemingly spontaneous, but organized  public responses, equipped with cards, banners and expensive  signage, the thought which pops into my head is: Who is footing the bill?” 

None of this is the voice of the people, but politically inspired AND BOUGHT AND PAID FOR. Fans, riding on testosterone and beer,  may well be inspired to chant  — and probably thought the lock him up referred to HRC.

nohero said:

It's Washington DC.  Everyone in the stands is either Deep State, Swamp, or Fake News Media. 

Just another basket of deplorables?

mtierney said:

Every time I see coordinated, seemingly spontaneous, but organized  public responses, equipped with cards, banners and expensive  signage, the thought which pops into my head is: Who is footing the bill?” 

None of this is the voice of the people, but politically inspired AND BOUGHT AND PAID FOR. Fans, riding on testosterone and beer,  may well be inspired to chant  — and probably thought the lock him up referred to HRC.

This Fox brainwashing is very effective.

1. See protest.

2. Think Soros

It's just a Pavlovian response at this point.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!