The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

if it is even remotely possible, or even less than clear, let me state: I have always thought of abortion as the extinguishing of a life.

I possibly was misread in an earlier post in which I stated I was “pro choice” — as when women choose to bring a baby into this world. 

I referenced the three women whose children we adopted. We raised and loved these gifts of life for 50+ years. In 2014, a son died of a massive coronary at 49. He will always be cherished.

mtierney said:
if it is even remotely possible, or even less than clear, let me state: I have always thought of abortion as the extinguishing of a life.
 I possibly was misread in an earlier post in which I stated I was “pro choice” — as when women choose to bring a baby into this world. 
I referenced the three women whose children we adopted. We raised and loved these gifts of life for 50+ years. In 2014, a son died of a massive coronary at 49. He will always be cherished.

If you are for the choice for women to bring babies into the world, then you are also for the choice for women not to do so. Any opinion contrary to that means you are for forcing women to bring babies into the world.

I don't know the conditions under which your children were adopted, but based on the ages of your children I do know that abortion was very likely illegal at the time and that the women you adopted from may not have been able to make their own choices at all.

mtierney said:

if you don't want to be misunderstood, then don't appropriate a term like "pro choice" and try to redefine it to fit your own purposes.  If you want abortion and contraception to be illegal, having  a child is no longer a choice.  Any action in life is not a choice if all the other alternative paths to action have been taken away.  If you are anti-abortion you are anti-choice.  And while it's certainly your right to that opinion, don't pretend it's giving women choices.  It's not, it's taking away their right to choose.

nohero said:
I didn't mean conclusion about the article, I meant conclusion about the poster's reasons.
As it is, that poster may or may not have realized the real import of the article when posting it without comment.

it seems apparent that the intent of the article was misunderstood.  I guess that poster thought the author seriously wants to prosecute Alabama men for having unprotected sex.

ml1 said:
if you don't want to be misunderstood, then don't appropriate a term like "pro choice" and try to redefine it to fit your own purposes.  If you want abortion and contraception to be illegal, having  a child is no longer a choice.  Any action in life is not a choice if all the other alternative paths to action have been taken away.  If you are anti-abortion you are anti-choice.  And while it's certainly your right to that opinion, don't pretend it's giving women choices.  It's not, it's taking away their right to choose.

No, not always.  Someone could be 'anti-abortion' because of their own personal (moral, religious etc.) beliefs but pro-choice because they believe that each woman has their own personal choice to make.

lord_pabulum said:

Blah, blah, blah 

Hey!  You are my personal troll.  No straying!

lord_pabulum said:
No, not always.  Someone could be 'anti-abortion' because of their own personal (moral, religious etc.) beliefs but pro-choice because they believe that each woman has their own personal choice to make.

that's not how mtierney has described herself. 

And I'm guilty of imprecise writing. By "anti-abortion" I meant to write in favor of legislation making abortion illegal. 

I stand by the opinion that “pro choice” translates into the decision to give birth to a child or the decision to have an abortion.

Social movements seem to think English can be redesigned and co-opted at will.

Dare to resist and face rebuke!

So many words and phrases are now loaded with different meanings — beware the misspeak!

Klinker said:
Apparently, one of the neighbors at Stanstead Airport (where Airforce One landed) thought the if they wrote their message in really big letters, that the President might be able to read it.  They obviously don't know Trump.

Klinker, this was arranged by The Last Leg TV program, and was announced at the beginning of the year then repeated at the beginning of the current season because the trip hadn’t been cancelled. 

The entire field was hired so the message could be cut into the crop just before the fly-over.

mtierney said:
I stand by the opinion that “pro choice” translates into the decision to give birth to a child or the decision to have an abortion.

There's no disagreement about that. 

If one proposes to prohibit one of those choices by force of law, that is not a "prochoice" political position. 

nohero said:
 There's no disagreement about that. 
If one proposes to prohibit one of those choices by force of law, that is not a "prochoice" political position. 

exactly. To be "pro choice" one needs to be committed to preserving all the alternatives. 

mtierney said:

Social movements seem to think English can be redesigned and co-opted at will.
Dare to resist and face rebuke!
So many words and phrases are now loaded with different meanings — beware the misspeak!

Hang on a minute: that’s not the only reason for terminating a pregnancy and everyone knows, but prolifères won’t say so. I personally know half a dozen women who have had to have surgical assistance to remove a non-viable late-stage fétus from their uterus, one of who had to carry a dead fétus for FIVE WEEKS before a judge would hear the case and consider granting permission to terminate (he didn’t - luckily, the poor young woman went into labour that night. She NEVER had sex with husband again. Still can’t bear a man touching her, 30 yrs later.

My SIL had a baby die in the last week of pregnancy. Would you make her carry it??? 

What about women with cancer - treat the cancer, or have the babe/poison the babe?? Which is the greater sin?? What if the babe has the cancer???

And my friend whose babe had NO BRAIN and RC priest told her to abort it?? What judgement do you cast her way?

Back to the UK: Klinker & Ridski, The Last Leg have permission from Madame Tussaud’s to borrow the wax President Trump for staged photos on locations around London for the next day or two. They’ve asked for suggestions - should be quite funny to see the results cheese

Ack, my spelling. It’s nearly 2:20am, I should sleep!

joanne said:
 Klinker, this was arranged by The Last Leg TV program, and was announced at the beginning of the year then repeated at the beginning of the current season because the trip hadn’t been cancelled. 
The entire field was hired so the message could be cut into the crop just before the fly-over.

I love that show, BTW. Watch it every week on Youtube.

ml1 said:

lord_pabulum said:
 that's not how mtierney has described herself. 
And I'm guilty of imprecise writing. By "anti-abortion" I meant to write in favor of legislation making abortion illegal. 

Yes ok, I too would not favor legislation making abortion illegal and am for funding for Planned Parenthood.  But although abortion is legal, via Roe v. Wade, I favor a state's right to make their own laws around this.  

lord_pabulum said:
Yes ok, I too would not favor legislation making abortion illegal and am for funding for Planned Parenthood.  But although abortion is legal, via Roe v. Wade, I favor a state's right to make their own laws around this.  

Why do you favor a state's right to make it illegal?

nohero said:

lord_pabulum said:
 Why do you favor a state's right to make it illegal?

States can't make it illegal because of Roe but they can, as we've seen recently, make it difficult to get one.  Because of the nature of this particular issue I believe it is better handled by individual states.  Unlike basic health care I do not believe abortion (unless under circumstances of rape or the health of the fetus or mother) is a fundamental right (e.g. aborting because a certain gender was wanted).

Klinker said:

basil said:
Trump / Christ are two peas in very different pods. One of them best left unnoticed.
 You know, I have noticed over the years that, while mtierney spends a lot of time in her posts talking about God and even more time talking about Fulton Sheen, she almost never mentions Christ.  I am not quite sure why that is.

Christ's Gospel hits too close to home for people like her. Makes them feel uncomfortable and/or aggressive. Remember the Pharisees?

mtierney said: I am pro choice — I choose life. As an adoptive mother of three, I am so grateful to the  parents of my amazing now adult-aged children.

mtierney said:

And so.... you do support a woman's right to choose either to give birth or have an abortion?  You made your choice but she can make hers?

I may have to reconsider that "irredeemable" label.

basil said:

Klinker said:

basil said:
Trump / Christ are two peas in very different pods. One of them best left unnoticed.
 You know, I have noticed over the years that, while mtierney spends a lot of time in her posts talking about God and even more time talking about Fulton Sheen, she almost never mentions Christ.  I am not quite sure why that is.
Christ's Gospel hits too close to home for people like her. Makes them feel uncomfortable and/or aggressive. Remember the Pharisees?

Perhaps mtierney is a closet Unitarian*.  Or perhaps a Mormon* or Jehovah's Witness*.  

Nice work taking the inventory of others (NOT!!).

*- all non-trinitarians.

proeasdf said:
 Perhaps mtierney is a closet Unitarian.  Or perhaps a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness.  

You'd have to be unfamiliar with those three faith traditions to comment as if their members are unfamiliar with the Gospels. 

nohero said:

proeasdf said:
 Perhaps mtierney is a closet Unitarian.  Or perhaps a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness.  
You'd have to be unfamiliar with those three faith traditions to comment as if their members are unfamiliar with the Gospels. 

I think not.   Nice non-sequitur.

If someone is familiar with the gospels, then does that make them a trinitarian?

My answer:  no.

Non-trinitarians generally refer to Jesus less often than trinitarians (my personal experience - do you have different experience, then share it with us).    My post was a cogent response to basil's comment  (listed below so that all have context of the discussion).    

basil said: You know, I have noticed over the years that, while mtierney spends a lot of time in her posts talking about God and even more time talking about Fulton Sheen, she almost never mentions Christ.  I am not quite sure why that is.

proeasdf said:

Perhaps mtierney is a closet Unitarian*.  Or perhaps a Mormon* or Jehovah's Witness*.  

*- all non-trinitarians.

I think not. Nice non sequitur.

Mtierney has said in this thread that she is a Catholic.

DaveSchmidt said:Mtierney has said in this thread that she is a Catholic.

Right. That is what makes her silence with regards to Christ so puzzling.  Her Trinity seems to consist of The Father, Fulton Sheen and Fulton Sheen.

Klinker said:

DaveSchmidt said:Mtierney has said in this thread that she is a Catholic.
 Right. That is what makes her silence with regards to Christ so puzzling.  Her Trinity seems to consist of The Father, Fulton Sheen and Fulton Sheen.

Why are you so concerned about taking everyone else's inventory?

You may want to take a look at a portion of the Lord's Prayer:  “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

DaveSchmidt said:

proeasdf said:

*- all non-trinitarians.
I think not. Nice non sequitur.
Mtierney has said in this thread that she is a Catholic.

It was a little bit of levity mixed with fact regarding non-trinitarians.  Sorry to hear that you don't do levity.

mtierney said:
A lot of confusion over the comments by President Obama at the Rose Garden press conference just after the Benghazi murders was raised at last night's debate. If what was said regarding "acts of terror" could have also referred to the Benghazi incident. -- quite a stretch in my view -- why in the world did the president and his team persist in repeating over and over that it was the video which triggered it?

The video story was discredited hours after the killings and subsequently by those investigating it in DC.

Thinking about it today, I have come to the conclusion that it must have been a very misguided attempt by the Obama campaign to downplay the event so close to Election Day.

Or, why did the president not point to his Rose Garden remarks weeks ago?

I accidentally clicked on the beginning of this thread and was magically transported back to an age when competent, sane people who weren't trying to sell our country out to its enemies ran our government.

I am disheartened that no one has commented on the 75th anniversary of D-Day — the “Greatest Generation” deserves more. The NYTphoto essay I posted earlier garnered zero response. Surely Jesus wept.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.