The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mjc said:
Leaving aside the monuments and government buildings, DC itself has always been a bit of a red-headed stepchild:  lots of poverty, no vote in national elections (or did that change recently?), no voting representation in Congress....

Thank you; I didn’t know. I’ll have to read up about the no-vote history, that surprises me. 

joanne said:
So, the President and his administration believe that the nation can afford to spend years finding ways to pay for the border Wall and its staffing etc, but can’t be bothered supporting the Washington community itself for its St Patrick’s Day parade??

Your comment seemed to me — perhaps wrongly — to be comparing the cost of a parade to the cost of the border wall?

While lots of folks “celebrate” St Patrick’s Day by enjoying and participating in a parade, it not a secular holiday, but, sadly, so many holydays have been corrupted by secular trappings. Frankly, most of our national days of honor are  advertised as vehicles for consumption, with a nod to the history of the occasion. 

mtierney said:

While lots of folks “celebrate” St Patrick’s Day by enjoying and participating in a parade, it not a secular holiday, but, sadly, so many holydays have been corrupted by secular trappings. Frankly, most of our national days of honor are  advertised as vehicles for consumption, with a nod to the history of the occasion. 

St. Patrick's Day is a holy day in Ireland and in any other country where St. Patrick is the Patron Saint.  It's not a holy day in the United States.  The tradition of a parade is as old as the celebration by Irish immigrants of St. Patrick's Day, but that being said a parade started a couple of decades ago in Washington D.C. is a secular event, not a religious one. 

Tell that to an Irish American!

There was a time when populists railed against Irish immigrants. With walls and stuff. Too bad some Irish folks can't read history and now are in turn railing against brown immigrants. It's like the opposite of the Bible story of the Good Samaritan. Oh well mtierney.

mtierney said:
Tell that to an Irish American!

to must of us who are Irish Americans, the parades tend to be embarrassments. 

STANV said:
Will these people be marching on St. Patrick's Day?
https://psmag.com/social-justice/how-the-immigration-crackdown-is-hitting-the-irish-community

When Ireland sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Their rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

I have learned not to respond to provocateurs — using aliases, or not — waste of everyone’s time.

mtierney said:
I have learned not to respond to provocateurs — using aliases, or not — waste of everyone’s time.

So you just vote for them? (sorry, couldn't resist, this was such an easy one)

2004 Trump speech on the Wall: 

ahem, that’s a bit embarrassing. 

Every time I see this thread title I think....

" Gibberish in the Rose garden...and Washington is a lunatic asylum"

This am, 16 minute, unscripted Trump, and the press...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDsAzqbAE0

"Our friend Sister Norma Pimentel .@nspimentel, an advocate for migrants and refugees, will be meeting with the President today. Please pray for both of them, that the Spirit of the Lord might be upon them--the same Spirit that in today's Gospel, asks us to care for the oppressed."

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1083386228937052160?s=20

mtierney said:

among other things he said:

When during the campaign I would say Mexico is going to pay for it, obviously I never said this, and I never meant they’re going to write out a check. I said they’re going to pay for it. They are.”

totally nonsensical.  Why do his supporters not see through this idiotic rambling?

I think you can extrapolate from the fact of their support for him.

nohero said:
"Our friend Sister Norma Pimentel .@nspimentel, an advocate for migrants and refugees, will be meeting with the President today. Please pray for both of them, that the Spirit of the Lord might be upon them--the same Spirit that in today's Gospel, asks us to care for the oppressed."
https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1083386228937052160?s=20

Praying for Trump would be as useful as praying for one of Satan's demons.

Our wall emergency history (copied from a WP comment):

January 2017 - GOP majority

January 2017 Wall not an emergency
February 2017 Wall not an emergency
March 2017 Wall not an emergency
April 2017 Wall not an emergency
May 2017 Wall not an emergency
June 2017 Wall not an emergency
July 2017 Wall not an emergency
August 2017 Wall not an emergency
September 2017 Wall not an emergency
October 2017 Wall not an emergency
November 2017 Wall not an emergency
December 2017 Wall not an emergency
January 2018 Wall not an emergency
February 2018 Wall not an emergency
March 2018 Wall not an emergency
April 2018 Wall not an emergency
May 2018 Wall not an emergency
June 2018 Wall not an emergency
July 2018 Wall not an emergency
August 2018 Wall not an emergency
September 2018 Wall not an emergency

October 2018 Wall not an emergency
November 2018 Wall not an emergency

November 2018 Democratic House Majority

December 2018 Wall emergency

January 2019 Wall emergency

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

When during the campaign I would say Mexico is going to pay for it, obviously I never said this, and I never meant they’re going to write out a check. I said they’re going to pay for it. They are.”
totally nonsensical.  Why do his supporters not see through this idiotic rambling?

2 minute supercut of Trump's wall and who's going to pay for it. Starts at 0.32.

watched your clip, Ridski. What is the source? I think the anchor had her hair pulled  up too tight — she quoted figures I haven’t heard elsewhere.

mtierney said:
watched your clip, Ridski. What is the source? I think the anchor had her hair pulled  up too tight — she quoted figures I haven’t heard elsewhere.

Amazing.

mtierney said:

Source doesn't matter (it's from The Young Turks). This is 2 minutes of Donald J. Trump telling us he is going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it. He had 2 years of a Republican majority, and where's the wall? Where's the money from Mexico?

Here's the budget he submitted in March 2017.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BUDGET-2018-BLUEPRINT/pdf/BUDGET-2018-BLUEPRINT.pdf

Page 23 talks about 2.6 billion dollars for a wall that isn't there and is not funded by Mexico.

Here is the budget he submitted in February 2018.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BUDGET-2019-BUD/pdf/BUDGET-2019-BUD.pdf

In this, on page 58, they mention a further allocation of 1.6 billion dollars to build a 65 mile wall in South Texas. That's not insignificant, it's the equivalent of a wall running the length of I-78 from Maplewood to Bethlehem, PA. But it's only as part of an 18 billion dollar border wall package. Remember, that was almost a year ago and still... No wall, no sign of any cash from Mexico. So...

Apparently Trump has set the bar way too high for a President getting his agenda done.  Imagine the uproar if Obama initiated a government shutdown in order to close Guantánamo.

lord_pabulum said:
Apparently Trump has set the bar way too high for a President getting his agenda done.  Imagine the uproar if Obama initiated a government shutdown in order to close Guantánamo.

It all depends on what you think Trump's real agenda is. I mean that in all seriousness. 

ridski said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

2 minute supercut of Trump's wall and who's going to pay for it. Starts at 0.32.

Also, here is a memo from the Trump campaign from April 2016 (which Trump later confirmed, all on video!) where he explains how Mexico is actually, directly, going to pay for the Wall.

Facts are amazing things!

basil said:

lord_pabulum said:
It all depends on what you think Trump's real agenda is. I mean that in all seriousness. 

I think we can all agree that Trump's agenda is to accumulate adulation.  This could be in the form of votes, $$$ to the org, or rally attendees.   He may actually achieve this in his lifetime without any legal consequences.   Of course his legacy as it pertains to his heirs will be a very different story.  

re the memo linked in Basil's last post: seriously, who writes 'planet earth' in a serious political manifesto and isn't being either ironical or facetious? Goodness gracious!

(And I'm not even addressing the other grammatical errors)

basil said:

lord_pabulum said:

Do you remember that time in the campaign when he basically sold us all his water and vodka and said he had a huge plan worked out for us all on a desk next to him and all the pages were just blank pages?

He’s been winging this from the start with no ******* idea what he’s doing or where and of this is going, and that makes him happy. His primary modus operandi is to keep people guessing, so when someone figures out what he had planned he has to do the opposite.

And also he’s a grifting shitbag. No better or smarter than a three card Monty bunco booth shark on a street corner. He’s a carnival barker that normal people would walk by...

lord_pabulum said:

Well yes, that illustrates the point nicely, doesn't it? Obama never threatened to shut down the government over Guantanamo. And it's difficult to imagine Democrats supporting him in such a move, in the implausible scenario where he actually did that.

And yet, here we are with Trump. What a difference.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.