The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

dave said:
Dems should have addressed Brett as Lyin' Pukin' Brett from the start.  And Grassley as Ole Dumb 'n Wrinkley. That's how the president would have  handled things and this method seem to work.

Six FBI investigations, 30+ hours of senate questioning, before the public and one-on-ones with senators, did not reveal any “character” flaws. There was only the one confidential letter,sent in July to Sen Feinstein by Dr Ford, which recounted a 36 year old recall of a high school boy’s drunken behavior. This private letter was leaked by someone in Feinstein's office at the eleventh hour.

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
“What do the Democrats have to engage and motivate? To focus? Tottering Pelosi? “

Bingo!
Actually, Trump is doing a good job of motivating of women who are not otherwise preoccupied with enabling sexual assault.

Subtle you are not. 

Sadly, ageism, sexism, and class warfare thrives in liberal, affluent Maplewood and South Orange. The feelings, perhaps well hidden most of the time, are revealed in anonymous rants online to a perceived audience of like-minded folks.

mtierney said:
Bingo!
Actually, Trump is doing a good job of motivating of women who are not otherwise preoccupied with enabling sexual assault.
 Subtle you are not. 
Sadly, ageism, sexism, and class warfare thrives in liberal, affluent Maplewood and South Orange. The feelings, perhaps well hidden most of the time, are revealed in anonymous rants online to a perceived audience of like-minded folks.

I believe Dr. Ford because she had nothing to gain by coming forward and Kavanaugh had everything to gain through an impassioned denial.  I believe Dr. Ford because the behavior she described is not, or certainly was not, highly unusual.  Many young men have done things while drunk with their buddies that they really don't even want to admit to their older selves or perhaps they have constructed a sanitized recollection of what happened.  I am quite familiar with the herd behavior of young men having been a member of a fraternity and having served in the Army.  I have noticed that groups of young men can become really toxic given the right group chemistry.  That is why we occasionally hear stories of really bad behavior by some sports teams, for example.  Bretty Kavanaugh was part of the frat boy type culture of really heavy drinking and objectification / exploitation of young women.

But you, Mtierney, are an enabler of this behavior - through your support of Republican Party or whatever it has become and, secondarily, through your support of the Catholic Church through years of covering up for predator priests.  In the process, you know, you have helped inflict incalculable damage on the church in terms of reputation and treasures.  How many schools couldn't afford to stay open because of money diverted to pay victims.  It't really sad - while not a Catholic, I have always believed that the Catholic Church played a positive role in many communities.

mtierney said:

Examples of this?

That class warfare is really well hidden.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Examples of this?

She is confusing maplewood with her catholic church.

DaveSchmidt said:

https://youtu.be/ZG-VB5xb6KM

gerritn said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Examples of this?
She is confusing maplewood with her catholic church.

No, it's not that.  It's the same old GOP conservative technique - accuse others of the sins of your own side.

DaveSchmidt said:

Really!? 

Perhaps, I, as a conservative, Catholic, white, female, octogenarian, am a tad too sensitive?

Ya think?

mtierney said:

Really!? 

Perhaps, I, as a conservative, Catholic, white, female, octogenarian, am a tad too sensitive?

Ya think?

What I think is that even octogenarian Americans who throw around “class warfare” to describe 21st-century Maplewood aren’t giving the term its due.

The reason DJT won!

Clinton laughs at Kavanaugh's 'revenge' remark comment - CNN Video
Clinton laughs at Kavanaugh's 'revenge' remark comment - CNN Video

And I suggest that DS  read some of the responses on the Rose Garden or Pope threads for samples of personal attacks.

Edited - sorry, it didn’t work — but it did spare us from hearing that

mtierney said:

And I suggest that DS  read some of the responses on the Rose Garden or Pope threads for samples of personal attacks.

I’ve been meaning to read the Rose Garden thread sometime.

mtierney said:

Edited - sorry, it didn’t work — but it did spare us from hearing that

Here you go.

mtierney said:

The reason DJT won!

Let's be honest between us girls. The reason DJT won is because the russians and assange helped him, james comey threw hillary under the bus a few days before the election, and the electoral college system is corrupt enough to allow the loser of the popular vote (by 2.9 million votes) to somehow come out on top. Oh, and the swing states that put him over the top also are under GOP leadership, meaning the democratic vote was systematically suppressed.

But even Brett Kavanaugh was right on one thing: what goes around comes around baby!

Republicans are hiding the R word from their campaign spots, lawn signs, etc.    They know what's coming.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:
 Really!? 

Ya think?

When are the sob stories starting again?

mtierney said:

You are just in denial over what it means for you to support Trump.  By extension, you support racism, mistreatment of women and a whole range of other crimes.  And perhaps you think that because you will get conservative judges who may someday reverse Roe v. Wade, it is OK.  I scoured the Bible for the part where Jesus says it is OK to deal with the Devil if you get something you want in return.  I couldn't find it.  Maybe you can help me.  And maybe you think that banning abortion is good thing so that wealthy people can get safe abortions somewhere and people without money can resort to unsafe alternatives.

with everything happening in Washington taking our attention, there is an issue coming to our town — and others — in New Jersey which has not received much attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/opinion/sunday/marijuana-addiction.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

I can certainly appreciate and endorse medical needs for marijuana, but has enough investigation and thought been given to misuse and proliferation of use in our communities? Gummy bear drugs, edibles dressed up as candy and brownies?

Our our middle schools ready for the shop around the corner?

FWIW, This should be a non-partisan discussion. Let’s  see if it is.

ooh. watch out for the scary ganja!

mtierney said:

See: zoning restrictions.

mtierney said:
with everything happening in Washington taking our attention, there is an issue coming to our town — and others — in New Jersey which has not received much attention.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/opinion/sunday/marijuana-addiction.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times
I can certainly appreciate and endorse medical needs for marijuana, but has enough investigation and thought been given to misuse and proliferation of use in our communities? Gummy bear drugs, edibles dressed up as candy and brownies?

Nice job changing the subject you were getting hammered on !

mtierney said:

There was only the one confidential letter,sent in July to Sen Feinstein by Dr Ford, which recounted a 36 year old recall of a high school boy’s drunken behavior. This private letter was leaked by someone in Feinstein's office at the eleventh hour.

Aren't the members of Sen. Feinstein's staff entitled to the same presumption of innocence that you would afford to Kavanaugh?

LOST said:

mtierney said:

There was only the one confidential letter,sent in July to Sen Feinstein by Dr Ford, which recounted a 36 year old recall of a high school boy’s drunken behavior. This private letter was leaked by someone in Feinstein's office at the eleventh hour.

Aren't the members of Sen. Feinstein's staff entitled to the same presumption of innocence that you would afford to Kavanaugh?

Absolutely! Unequivocally. Absolving her office and the senator herself, what is your best guess who did it? 

mtierney said:

LOST said:

mtierney said:

Absolutely! Unequivocally. Absolving her office and the senator herself, what is your best guess who did it? 

Well, let's see. Dr Ford testified she told several friends about Kavanaughs sexual assault, and several of these friends filed an affidavit saying that Dr Ford had told them about these assaults several years ago(!) already. So her friends knew that Kavanaugh assaulted her, and then they see him being nominated to the supreme court. If you see an outrage like that I think it is only natural you talk about it and want to shine a light on it.

This whole Feinstein leaking story is just a distraction and a way to whip up the republican base. Even if it was true, it has no material impact on the question whether Kavanaugh is fit for the SC or not. 

Mtierney,

In your hatred of victims of assault (mostly women) and love of the old boys club, I wanted to offer these excerpts from Mark Judge's book so you can see what you are sweeping under the rug.

A couple of excerpts from Mark Judge's book "Wasted" (in which he identifies his good friend as "Bart O'Kavanaugh"). 

“I had reached the point where once I had the first beer, I found it impossible to stop until I was completely annihilated…. Many of the other guys were the same way."

Judge writes that his blackout drinking worsened in the years after Georgetown Prep. He recalls one night at his favorite bar: “Then, in what seemed like an instant, it was suddenly the next morning…. I had blacked out. I started to panic, terrified of what I could have done during the blackout. I could have done anything and not know it. I could have murdered somebody.”

Judge describes his behavior at a rehearsal dinner for one of his high school friend’s weddings. He recalls the dialogue, beginning with a friend:

“You put on quite a show. After doing all those shots, you tried to get up on the table and started taking your clothes off. You also tried to make it with one of the bridesmaids.”
“Jesus,” I muttered. Please tell me I didn’t hurt her.”

mtierney said:

I am not going to guess. The very point is that there must be evidence.

mtierney said:

The author of the op-ed wrote: "Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal."  There is already (and has long been) use without legalization, so there must be misuse already, as well.  Municipalities will be able to decide if they want to allow shops, the same as they can decide if there are stores and restaurants selling alcohol or not.  I think regulating the locations and strict monitoring is better for a town than a prohibition.  Since you brought the subject up, do you have a comment?

Nohero, I have already posted that I support medical need use of cannabis. Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation, but we all know how it is very often misused by adults and children with the rules and regulations restricting sale and use now in place.

Just look at the opioid crises in America right now! Medical doctors are prescribing drugs to the needy and vulnerable for profit.

There is concern right now for e-cigarette use by teens in the news - bubble gum flavors, etc - creating dependency. Vaping will have unintended consequences in the future - certainly for teens.

I am only suggesting that before we open Pandora’s box, we need to know what might be inside.

You do realize pot has been legal in many places across the U.S. and the world for some years now, right? With no crisis anywhere. I think we know what's inside, and it's OK.

mtierney said:
Nohero, I have already posted that I support medical need use of cannabis. Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation, but we all know how it is very often misused by adults and children with the rules and regulations restricting sale and use now in place.
Just look at the opioid crises in America right now! Medical doctors are prescribing drugs to the needy and vulnerable for profit.
 There is concern right now for e-cigarette use by teens in the news - bubble gum flavors, etc - creating dependency. Vaping will have unintended consequences in the future - certainly for teens.
I am only suggesting that before we open Pandora’s box, we need to know what might be inside.

mtierney said:

I am aware of what you already posted.  I didn't see any comment on the legalization vote, only questions.

We know what's inside, and that means that we have to get ready for the need for more treatment for dependency.  The op-ed by Neal Pollack is a cautionary tale about how some people will "overindulge" and wander around stoned, to the detriment of themselves and others.

drummerboy said:
You do realize pot has been legal in many places across the U.S. and the world for some years now, right? With no crisis anywhere. I think we know what's inside, and it's OK.

mtierney said:

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.