The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

The lesson learned clearly is for teenagers not to frequent parties at homes where there is no adult presence, and at which underage kids were drinking. Simple rule of safety — wise in 1982, and wise today.

The lesson should be for teenage boys not to assault teenage girls.

That is the only correct conclusion.  

Of course, Mtierney likes to blame the victims for not being ladylike.

lots of lessons here — 15 year old girl should not be drinking beer at a house party with no adult supervision. 

Thinking about the night in question and wondering if Dr Ford’s parents were home when she returned? The young girl must have been appeared very upset. Did a parent ask her if she was OK, what was wrong? Where had she been? Did she tell her parents what had happened and how she had gotten home? Or did she say nothing? Did she say anything the next day to a girl friend?

I was raising four teenaged kids in that era, so I do know a thing or two.

mtierney said:
lots of lessons here — 15 year old girl should not be drinking beer at a house party with no adult supervision. 

Peculiar that you opted not to say the same about 17 year old boys.

mtierney said:
Thinking about the night in question and wondering if Dr Ford’s parents were home when she returned? The young girl must have been appeared very upset. Did a parent ask her if she was OK, what was wrong? Where had she been? Did she tell her parents what had happened and how she had gotten home? Or did she say nothing? Did she say anything the next day to a girl friend?

Still blaming the victim.  Very nice.

Let's start out by stating that rape is never justified.  Period.

Having said that, I am sure that many parents advise their daughters to not swim in shark-infested waters and to avoid drunk boys, etc., etc. and many girls do, I think, heed this advise.

But if they don't and something happens, it IS NOT their fault.

Moreover, rape can happen in a lot of party situations that would seem to be safe enough.

mtierney said:

What you don’t know, and what you’re unwilling to accept, is that your expectations about how a victim of sexual assault should react are divorced from reality. Blasey Ford testified that her immediate response after getting out of the house was an immense sense of relief. She then coped by forcing herself to pretend that the assault never happened. 

It’s your own leap to the assumption that “the young girl must have appeared very upset.”

mtierney said:

What about Kavanaugh's parents? Did they communicate at all with their son, or know what he was doing?

peaceinourtime said:

What about Kavanaugh's parents? Did they communicate at all with their son, or know what he was doing?

I don't recall anything printed in my yearbook that I would have trouble explaining to my parents back in the day or my daughters today.  That is something I found odd about Kavanaugh's yearbook.  Different world, I guess.

mtierney said:

And, with all due respect, you do not know what you do not know.

tjohn said:

I don't recall anything printed in my yearbook that I would have trouble explaining to my parents back in the day or my daughters today.  That is something I found odd about Kavanaugh's yearbook.  Different world, I guess.

Class of ’82 here, so a very near contemporary of Kavanaugh’s. Different world — public high school — but with probably more than its share of prep-society kids, and I didn’t find K’s yearbook odd at all. Though I haven’t gone back to look for specific examples (they’d be over my head anyway), I remember there was plenty of innuendo.

DaveSchmidt said:

tjohn said:

Class of ’82 here, so a very near contemporary of Kavanaugh’s. Different world — public high school — but with probably more than its share of prep-society kids, and I didn’t find K’s yearbook odd at all. Though I haven’t gone back to look for specific examples (they’d be over my head anyway), I remember there was plenty of innuendo.

Well, I suspect Lancaster was more refined that Philadelphia in those days - at least in '75, that was true.

tjohn said:

Well, I suspect Lancaster was more refined that Philadelphia in those days - at least in '75, that was true.

Actually, Delaware in my case — a school with du Pont in its name and the Centreville/Montchanin/Greenville “chateau country” in its catchment. (Personally, I had more of a Lancaster soul.)

LOST said:

mtierney said:

And, with all due respect, you do not know what you do not know.

Lost, are you willing to acknowledge that you also do not know what you do not know?

Why ask such a silly question? Of course I do not know what I do not know.

What I was suggesting to mtierney is that she did not know every thing her teenagers may have seen or done.

Do you have children? 

LOST said:
What I was suggesting to mtierney is that she did not know every thing her teenagers may have seen or done.
Do you have children? 

Actually, Lost, my kids referred to me as Inspector Clouseau! I kid you not.

Edited to correct reference!

mtierney said:

LOST said:
Do you have children? 
 Actually, Lost, my kids referred to me as Detective Clouseau! I kid you not.

do you know anything about Inspector Clouseau?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

LOST said:
Do you have children? 

Do you know anything about humor?

Kato my little friend.... I am home..

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

LOST said:
Do you have children? 
 Do you know anything about humor?

I do. And I understand why your kids thought that was funny. 

Perhaps being called Inspector Javert would be a greater testament to efficacy, although not humanity.

the other Kavanaugh thread is hung up on class — maybe rich folks need understanding, too?

For a change of topic, here is what the Democratic Party has in view for 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/us/politics/biden-2020-anita-hill-kavanaugh.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

Maybe Biden should just not run.  He's told old.  Time for old politicians to be put out to pasture.

Anyway, there are younger men who are have pretty clean lives.  I notice that nobody was able to dredge up much dirt on Obama and I'm sure it wasn't for lack of effort.

mtierney said:
the other Kavanaugh thread is hung up on class — maybe rich folks need understanding, too?

it's so hard to be a privileged, rich white guy with connections.  You know how it is.  Mo' money, mo' problems.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:
it's so hard to be a privileged, rich white guy with connections.  You know how it is.  Mo' money, mo' problems.

I don't know what the world is coming to if we no longer are going to let boys be boys.

tjohn said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I don't know what the world is coming to if we no longer are going to let boys be boys.

To be fair, imagine the magnitude of the pressure these rich white legacy boys must be under.  What must it be like to be someone of mediocre intellect thrust into the academic rigor of Yale or Harvard?  It's enough to drive a guy to drink.

ml1 said:
tjohn said:
ml1 said:
mtierney said:
To be fair, imagine the magnitude of the pressure these rich white legacy boys must be under.  What must it be like to be someone of mediocre intellect thrust into the academic rigor of Yale or Harvard?  It's enough to drive a guy to drink.

Kavanaugh is smart enough.

It is interesting now that I think about it - it does seem that the guys who came from less privilege behaved a bit better.

tjohn said:
Maybe Biden should just not run.  He's told old.  Time for old politicians to be put out to pasture.
Anyway, there are younger men who are have pretty clean lives.  I notice that nobody was able to dredge up much dirt on Obama and I'm sure it wasn't for lack of effort.

And younger women too...

tjohn said:

ml1 said:
tjohn said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:
Kavanaugh is smart enough.
It is interesting now that I think about it - it does seem that the guys who came from less privilege behaved a bit better.

Yes, he's a smart enough guy.  But at a place like Yale, everyone is smart enough, and a lot of people are Nobel Prize in Physics-type brilliant.  Nothing we've seen from Kavanaugh suggests he's an intellectual heavyweight.  He's guy who was smart and shrewd enough to identify that hitching his wagon to hyperpartisans like Karl Rove and the Starr investigative team was going to take him a long way.

Scully said:

tjohn said:
 And younger women too...

Of course.  But I've noticed that fewer women seem to have to apologize for youthful indiscretions.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!