The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

well, I am glad you guys have got the question settled.

Now, why do you suppose HRC lost the election?

mtierney said:

Because Trump inspired tens of millions of conservatives to vote for him because he represents their values.

I hope some of you saw 60 Minutes tonight. It told all about how Russia got into our voting equipment, beginning in Springfield, Illinois and how quickly it progressed.Really frightening and we don't know how much more damage there will be.

mtierney said:

Largely because the R party is filled with morally questionable voters who have no problem voting for an obvious sociopath, as long as they have a chance to stop abortion and get a tax cut. Everything else be damned.

Sort of related, I saw this picture of some of Trump's staff strutting for the photographers a while ago.  Lewandowski, Gorka, "The Mooch", Rob Porter, and Ms. Manigault.  None of them work at the White House anymore, and none had what one could call an amicable departure.  Did they all get the "Please see me in the Situation Room for a minute" treatment from the Chief of Staff?

"Wacky Omarosa, who got fired 3 times on the Apprentice, now got fired for the last time. She never made it, never will. She begged me for a job, tears in her eyes, I said Ok. People in the White House hated her. She was vicious, but not smart. I would rarely see her but heard...."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028996374174593025

"...really bad things. Nasty to people & would constantly miss meetings & work. When Gen. Kelly came on board he told me she was a loser & nothing but problems. I told him to try working it out, if possible, because she only said GREAT things about me - until she got fired!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1029002242932834310

It took him 20 minutes (time between the two tweets) to complete that thought.

dave23 said:

mtierney said:

Because Trump inspired tens of millions of conservatives to vote for him because he represents their values.

“Tens of millions” of your fellow Americans think differently ? These  voters made choices at the polls? Isn’t that freedom of thought? Guess that will get banned along way.

Becare full of what you wish for: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/opinion/if-we-silence-hate-speech-will-we-silence-resistance.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

mtierney said:

dave23 said:

mtierney said:

“Tens of millions” of your fellow Americans think differently ? These  voters made choices at the polls? Isn’t that freedom of thought? Guess that will get banned along way.
Becare full of what you wish for: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/opinion/if-we-silence-hate-speech-will-we-silence-resistance.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

Where did dave23 recommend any banning?   He made a pretty simple statement and I think if you re-read it you would agree with it.

I believe Dave23's point is that he doesn't represent conservative values at all.

Millions of people get duped every day by infomercials, Nigerian princes, harassing phone calls from the IRS and people who "just did someone's driveway up the street and could do yours right now for cheap". They made decisions then based on what they wanted to hear. Scammers, as we know, rely on four cornerstones - religion, love, money and self-improvement - to groom their targets. It's about exploiting people's biases, and once a target is hooked, they don't want to believe that they are being scammed, there will be a payoff, their lives will be better, every tiny improvement - no matter how unrelated to the original scam, and no matter how many other things get worse - is one more piece of evidence that their investment in the product they were sold will really work.

It's far easier to deny that you have been duped than it is to admit it. It's much easier to believe that GOOD THINGS are just a block further down the street. The naysayers just don't understand or are deliberately trying to sabotage the GOOD THINGS they were promised from happening. The naysayers hate you, they tell you - they don't even think the same way you do. Their thinking is wrong, yours is special, your way of thinking makes GOOD THINGS happen. So they tell themselves that weren't fooled, they tell themselves the same things they are told, that they "think differently" and that not to lose track of the GOOD THINGS just around the bend, always around the bend. Always just slightly out of reach.

It's a unique person that has never been scammed, but many would never admit it, even to themselves.

mtierney said:

Many reasons. Everyone has his/her opinions on that question.

But it's the wrong question. The right question is:

Why did you, an intelligent, decent, religious person, vote for the obviously despicable Mr. Trump?

ridski said:
I believe Dave23's point is that he doesn't represent conservative values at all.

Millions of people get duped every day by infomercials, Nigerian princes, harassing phone calls from the IRS and people who "just did someone's driveway up the street and could do yours right now for cheap". They made decisions then based on what they wanted to hear. Scammers, as we know, rely on four cornerstones - religion, love, money and self-improvement - to groom their targets. It's about exploiting people's biases, and once a target is hooked, they don't want to believe that they are being scammed, there will be a payoff, their lives will be better, every tiny improvement - no matter how unrelated to the original scam, and no matter how many other things get worse - is one more piece of evidence that their investment in the product they were sold will really work.
It's far easier to deny that you have been duped than it is to admit it. It's much easier to believe that GOOD THINGS are just a block further down the street. The naysayers just don't understand or are deliberately trying to sabotage the GOOD THINGS they were promised from happening. The naysayers hate you, they tell you - they don't even think the same way you do. Their thinking is wrong, yours is special, your way of thinking makes GOOD THINGS happen. So they tell themselves that weren't fooled, they tell themselves the same things they are told, that they "think differently" and that not to lose track of the GOOD THINGS just around the bend, always around the bend. Always just slightly out of reach.

It's a unique person that has never been scammed, but many would never admit it, even to themselves.

This is very much on point. There’s also disincentive to admit to being scammed when those people are really enjoying the liberal tears.  

mtierney said:

dave23 said:

Yes, you and similarly-minded folks made the choice at the polls. That was my point. Just pointing out that he represents your values, which is why he won. I didn't say anything about banning anyone from anything. 

ridski said:

He doesn't represent their stated values, but he does represent their actual values.

dave23 said:

ridski said:
 He doesn't represent their stated values, but he does represent their actual values.

I thought that was what you meant.

LOST said Many reasons. Everyone has his/her opinions on that question.
Why did you, an intelligent, decent, religious person, vote for the obviously despicable Mr. Trump?

Thank you for the kind words, Lost.

I have answered this question more than once, but perhaps I was not clear enough, or perhaps not scientific enough. In no particular order:

He wasn’t Hillary and I was fearful that Bill would be her co-pilot.

Her campaign was lackluster to be kind. Scandal seems always to haunt the Clintons and I believed that wouldn’t change if she won.

The spectacle of watching some 16 GOP candidates tearing each other up along side HRC and Bernie was exhausting and demeaning and pathetic.

So, what was I to do, having voted in every election since JFK? ( I was totally smittened by Camelot BTW)

Candidate Donald was unique, a successful businessman, who spoke his mind bluntly and perhaps crudely, but fearlessly. 

The change promised by BHO never materialized and he seemed to not have his heart in the presidency the last three years or so. 

We elect a president, not canonize a saint.

mtierney said:

I have answered this question more than once, but perhaps I was not clear enough, or perhaps not scientific enough. In no particular order:
Her campaign was lackluster to be kind. Scandal seems always to haunt the Clintons and I believed that wouldn’t change if she won.
The spectacle of watching some 16 GOP candidates tearing each other up along side HRC and Bernie was exhausting and demeaning and pathetic.
So, what was I to do, having voted in every election since JFK? ( I was totally smittened by Camelot BTW)
Candidate Donald was unique, a successful businessman, who spoke his mind bluntly and perhaps crudely, but fearlessly. 
The change promised by BHO never materialized and he seemed to not have his heart in the presidency the last three years or so. 

You got, at best, a huckster. That wasn’t a voting booth, it was a bunco booth. 

mtierney said:

So, what do you think of him now?

mtierney said:

Some would have said having Bill as "co-pilot" would have been a positive. He left office with a high popularity rating.

Trump was not a successful business man. That was a con. He was actually a failure who played a successful businessman on TV. I believe I told you that at the time. As for speaking  "his mind bluntly" he said bad things. If anything it should his mind to harbor evil thoughts.

I think you are wrong about Obama but that is a different discussion.

"We elect a president, not canonize a saint" can just as easily be said about voting for Hillary Clinton.

A number of prominent Republicans did not vote for Trump.

You did what you did and you have given your reasons. I appreciate the response but I still think you made a horrible mistake. Now we can look to the future. In a democracy there is always another election.

mtierney said:

there is so much in this statement that is so clueless that it's stunning. You make zero mention of the phony GOP scandals that have tainted the Clintons. Not to mention that if Obama wasnt accomplishing anything in his second term it was mainly due to Republican obstruction. 

Why are you so unwilling to see the central role your party plays in what dismays you about US politics?

Lost, in quoting my reasoning, you omitted: 

“Her campaign was lackluster to be kind. Scandal seems always to haunt the Clintons and I believed that wouldn’t change if she won.
So, what was I to do, having voted in every election since JFK? ( I was totally smittened by Camelot BTW)“

Why? These comments played an important role in my 2016 thinking. 

mtierney said:
Lost, in quoting my reasoning, you omitted: 

“Her campaign was lackluster to be kind. Scandal seems always to haunt the Clintons and I believed that wouldn’t change if she won.
So, what was I to do, having voted in every election since JFK? ( I was totally smittened by Camelot BTW)“

Why? These comments played an important role in my 2016 thinking. 

"Lackluster campaign", whatever that means, isn't a reason to vote for or against someone. You might be disappointed in a candidate your support for not running a stronger campaign but it's not a reason to abandon that candidate. I would guess that you have voted for many who have run lackluster campaigns.

Scandal "haunts" because their opponents invent scandals. 

"16 GOP candidates tearing each other up"? You characterized the Republican candidates very differently at the time.  But anyway that does not explain your vote once the 16 were whittled down to 1.

"Having voted in every election...what were you to do? How about follow the example of Mitt Romney and John Kasich.

mtierney said:

You had such high hopes for those 16 candidates 3 years ago...

"The GOP list includes governors, senators, successful businessmen and a businesswoman, an eye surgeon, a renowned black neo-natal surgeon, the son and brother of presidents, sons of immigrants -- who did I leave out?

All bring to the table diversity, experience, learned professional skills, and a choice for voters! The debates will bring the cream to the top"

Latest tweet from "the cream" of the GOP -

"When you give a crazed, crying lowlife a break, and give her a job at the White House, I guess it just didn’t work out. Good work by General Kelly for quickly firing that dog!"

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1029329583672307712?s=21

What politician isn't a huckster, con and/or a liar? In speaking with people who didn't vote one the biggest reasons was or is -  it doesn't make a difference.

lord_pabulum said:
What politician isn't a huckster, con and/or a liar? In speaking with people who didn't vote one the biggest reasons was or is -  it doesn't make a difference.

The difference may be small in the grand scheme, but there are differences.

lord_pabulum said:

it's sad to think those people are either that cynical or that ill-informed as to believe Trump is the same as everyone else who has ever run for office. I would have hoped that the overt racism alone would make people see he's not a garden variety politician. 

ml1 said:

lord_pabulum said:
 it's sad to think those people are either that cynical or that ill-informed as to believe Trump is the same as everyone else who has ever run for office. I would have hoped that the overt racism alone would make people see he's not a garden variety politician. 

Thank you. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that post. My first attempts had a lot of bad words in them.

Getting worse by the day. 

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

lord_pabulum said:
 Thank you. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that post. My first attempts had a lot of bad words in them.

Sure, Trumps a twit tweeter.  Majority of folks are not alarmed by infantile bombast as it doesn't affect their everyday life.  As Al Gore says “The U.S. system has a lot of inherent resilience, It’s hard for one person, even the president, to change things very quickly if the majority of American people don’t want them changed.”

It's sad to think people are affected by what a buffoon says and can't distinguish between what is said and what is reality.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.