The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Klinker said:

For fear none of this will make sense, I’ve edited this post as well.

My bad.  I hadn't seen her post on the other thread. I deleted the earlier post.

LOL

Klinker said:

Well, thanks for your contribution. Short and to the point. Well done!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/business/harley-davidson-us-eu-tariffs.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

So, as a result of Trumps tariffs, Harley Davidson will move some production from the US to Europe. Maybe Trump deserves a Nobel price for Economy after al, he saved 40k jobs in China (ZTE) and now he is creating European jobs! Make Europe Great Again!

Assuming these great successes will lead to some job losses in Wisconsin, but that's OK, because they are still backing Trump, so everybody wins!  

Mark Warner gives us hope:

The vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee let loose Friday night at a dinner he hosted for the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, telling guests that they should “buckle up” for coming revelations from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign and Russian meddling.

“If you get me one more glass of wine, I’ll tell you stuff only Bob Mueller and I know, Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) told guests gathered at his Martha’s Vineyard home, according to Politico’s playbook. “If you think you’ve seen wild stuff so far, buckle up. It’s going to be a wild couple of months.”

TPM

GL2 said:
Mark Warner gives us hope:
The vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee let loose Friday night at a dinner he hosted for the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, telling guests that they should “buckle up” for coming revelations from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign and Russian meddling.
“If you get me one more glass of wine, I’ll tell you stuff only Bob Mueller and I know, Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) told guests gathered at his Martha’s Vineyard home, according to Politico’s playbook. “If you think you’ve seen wild stuff so far, buckle up. It’s going to be a wild couple of months.”
TPM

Love Mark Warner. Hope the result is something of consequence. Right now as I'm paying close attention to the separation of children from their parents  , I'm feeling bad that the kids working on gun control have been getting less press. Always feels like the catastrophe is deliberate. The NRA must be delighted that they may have dodged a bullet, pun intended.

Supreme Court upholds Trump’s controversial travel ban in 5-4 Ruling. 

Le sigh! 

ElizMcCord said:

Le sigh! 

Yeah, but we're finally getting to the bottom of her email thing, and that's more important to people.

nohero said:

ElizMcCord said:

Le sigh! 
 Yeah, but we're finally getting to the bottom of her email thing, and that's more important to people.

I hear there is also new evidence in the Paula Jones case, so they are re-opening Ken Starr's investigation next. 

gerritn said:

nohero said:

ElizMcCord said:

Le sigh! 
I hear there is also new evidence in the Paula Jones case, so they are re-opening Ken Starr's investigation next. 

A second shooter on the grassy knoll?

Just read an article that suggested Mattis might be thinking of leaving, or have the decision made for him... H'm. 

Which one’s Mattis? I’ve lost track of who’s what these days.

ridski said:

Remember Mad Dog?

Defence Secretary, thanks, joanne.

drummerboy said:

ridski said:
 Remember Mad Dog?

Yeah, but he moves people around more than my Mum does with her living room furniture.

joanne said:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/28/james-mattis-defence-secretary-marginalised-exit-analysis

Also, the Joint Chiefs of Staffs get rotated out every two years or so.

When Trump in a fit of pique decides to nuke someone, who will stop him?

esp as there are signs North Korea is rebuilding the nuclear facility.... I’m sure you’ve seen those reports and satellite pics in the last 24 hours.

(Ack! My typing!)

slight digression to mention the Maryland shooting: I’m writing here, because I want to just vent on a White House response. Well, actually on the grammar. Please, can someone remind people at the top that they’re setting examples on language use for people learning English? Therefore they should remember that in this instance ‘that’ is for inanimate objects, and ‘who’ is for human/sentient beings. (Edited for typos in my post)

Quote:

US President Donald Trump has been briefed on the shooting, White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all that are affected," she said.

Endquote.

"setting examples on language use for people learning English"

oh oh  oh oh  oh oh   gulp 

joanne said:
slight digression to mention the Maryland shooting: I’m writing here, because I want to just vent on a White House response. Well, actually on the grammar. Please, can someone remind people at the top that they’re setting examples on language use for people learning English? Therefore they should remember that in this instance ‘that’ is for inanimate objects, and ‘who’ is for human/sentient beings. (Edited for typos in my post)
Quote:
US President Donald Trump has been briefed on the shooting, White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said.
Endquote.

With all due respect — and you are due a great deal of it, joanne, in my opinion — an administration that refers to the press as “enemy of the people” can hardly be expected to fret over a “that.”

Thank you.

But this expression is tritely, and blandly, trotted out every single time they need to acknowledge something unpleasant. It's boiler-plate.  Takes 2 seconds to correct the auto-fill macro...

OK. I know it's a hopeless cause. I just had to vent. Thank you for listening. Sigh.

I'm starting to think that "sending thoughts and prayers" actually means "f  you"

joanne said:
Quote:
Endquote.

+10

joanne said:
Quote:
Endquote.

I'm sure there was property damage.

Ahem, Trump and his conservative cronies are indeed winning. If nothing changes we will be living in the dark ages for many many years.

I'm astounded:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/29/donald-trump-prank-call-john-melendez-podcast

Then again, I'm also aghast at the final para, where people are calling for legislation preventing actors, satirists, comedians etc to portray public servants and officials. That's a death knell for performing arts and free expression. 

Here's a tip: don't take yourself so seriously. Even Charlie Chaplin, the Marx Brothers and Shakespeare sent up authority figures, in their own lifetimes. 

oh, for goodness sake! How could no-one sensible look at initial caps??? Doesn’t anyone in senior ranks there have a sense of professionalism??

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/02/trump-fart-act-report-blows-through-washington

Sigh.

I have a stack of unread newspapers on the floor - headed to the recycling bin shortly. Television news folks blather on as background noise, while I now try to find my way back to life, alone for the first time since 1954!

As an initial start of a conversation here, the next SCOTUS nominee seems a logical choice. Here is one profile...

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/judge-amy-barrett-criticized-for-charismatic-affiliation--who-are-the-people-of-praise-17632

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.