The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

LOST said:
Any Jury has to be screened for bias. It can be a very long proceeding.
A single Judge can be biased. I can find 12 Jurors who did not vote for Trump or Hillary. How many Judges do you think fit into that category?

So what if they're screened for bias. The issue is many lack the thinking ability to see that Trump is full of it. Lack of critical thinking. If they can't think their way through something patently obvious as Trump then why would we assume they can think in a trial. The saving grace is there are numerous jurors so it tends to work out.

Judges do tend to think critically. Judges that support Trump are supporting a political agenda but I suspect they can think their way through a trial having competing claims. 

ps - this is an aside from this discussion thread. If we're going to discuss Jury vs Pro Jury vs No Jury, maybe its put this in a new discussion.

LOST said:

ridski said:
Let the record state that my dealings with Lost were minimal, mostly answering some real estate questions. I maybe threw him ten bucks or whatever.
 Contingent fee. 1/3

Right, that’s it.

https://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ

ridski said:

LOST said:

ridski said:
Let the record state that my dealings with Lost were minimal, mostly answering some real estate questions. I maybe threw him ten bucks or whatever.
 Contingent fee. 1/3
 Right, that’s it.
https://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ

Last time I give you advice!

why don’t I respond to these alleged 3000 lies?

Seriously?

tongue rolleye 

mtierney said:

Seriously?

tongue rolleye 

Not individually.  Just a general response to the fact that this President lies like a normal man breathes air.

who do you suppose is fibbing in this tempest in a teapot?

Ryan reverses, will keep House chaplain in place
(via POLITICO for iOS) https://politi.co/2rkbh1F

Is that an honest question?  Are you asking for an answer or is it just rhetorical?  I only ask because you never respond to questions (like the ones posed by other posters directly up thread) so it seems a little odd for you to be asking.

Answering questions posed is not mtierney’s M.O.

mtierney said:
who do you suppose is fibbing in this tempest in a teapot?
Ryan reverses, will keep House chaplain in place
(via POLITICO for iOS) https://politi.co/2rkbh1F

Not the chaplain.  So, by process of elimination ...

[Edited to add] Father James Martin explains it all for you:

Father Conroy was asked to resign because, according to Speaker Paul Ryan, he didn't provide adequate "pastoral services." This is absurd, since Pat had previously served, for many years, as a pastor in several parishes, and as a chaplain at two universities.

Since 1983, Father Conroy has been: Pastor, St. Michael's Mission, Inchelium, Wa. Pastor, St Philip Benizi, Ford, Wa. Pastor, Sacred Heart Mission, Wellpinit, Wa. Pastor, Our Lady of Lourdes, West End, Wa. And: Chaplain, Georgetown University. Chaplain, Seattle University.

In other words, that's 35 years of purely "pastoral" ministry (literally: serving as a pastor in a parish or working as a chaplain serving the pastoral needs of faculty and students). So Speaker Ryan's stated reason for asking for Fr Conroy's resignation does not hold up under scrutiny.

And notice the reason, mentioned in the letter, proffered by Speaker Ryan's Chief of Staff: Maybe it's time for a Chaplain who's not Catholic. 

mtierney said:

Seriously?

tongue rolleye 

I didn't refer to Trump's lies in order for you to respond to them. My question is how you would explain yourself. Six years ago you started this thread because you were in an uproar over what you perceived as a lack of transparency from the Obama administration. Now you constantly write glowingly of a man who you see as "refreshing" in his blunt talk. And yet he's lying virtually every time he opens his mouth. What changed that you now find bald-faced lying "refreshing" instead of abhorrent?

LOST said:
Or are you saying that a fervent Trump supporter cannot fairly judge a medical malpractice case, a contract dispute, or a charge of burglary?

If it has any political connection: no, I don't think they can fairly judge that

I heard a bit of the audio from John McCain's forthcoming book today and these words stood out to me.

"Whether we think each other right or wrong in our views on the issues of the day, we owe each other our respect, as so long as our character merits respect"

Pence’s doctor resigned.

the Catholic chaplain in this incident is the first Jesuit and only the second Catholic to serve. Last one was in 1794.

mtierney said:
the Catholic chaplain in this incident is the first Jesuit and only the second Catholic to serve. Last one was in 1794.

Mazel Tov!

mtierney said:

Seems like the chaplain is a little too concerned about the common man for Republican tastes.

mtierney said:

Seriously?

tongue rolleye 

The president tweeted last night that he asked Webster to remove the word “gullible” from the dictionary. 

A NY Times story saying that Trump knew of the sex hush money before he denied it.

Of course he knew. No lawyer is going to pay hush money without his clients OK. Does anyone really believe that Cohen paid Stormy 130,000 out of his personal pocket simply based on her assertion, without checking?

Why this is even news worthy of a newspaper story is beyond me.

What's next? A newspaper headliner saying scientists know the world is round?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...

mtierney said:

The first Catholic chaplain for the House of Representatives was appointed in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

nohero, this is from my earlier link fro Politico;

Conroy was first appointed to the post in 2011 by then-Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). He is the first Jesuit priest and only the second Catholic to hold the position, which has been in place since 1789. 

I did muff up the date confused 

Which source is correct?

mtierney said:
Conroy was first appointed to the post in 2011 by then-Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). He is the first Jesuit priest and only the second Catholic to hold the position, which has been in place since 1789. 

Which source is correct?

Both.

after six years of this thread I was thinking about the event that prompted its creation. It was an accusation that members of the Obama administration were obfuscating the details of the events surrounding the attack in Benghazi. If this event occurred today, Trump, Sanders, Conway et al would not obfuscate. They'd flat out tell us the attack never happened. 

Trump would tweet furiously that the fake news media was engaging in a witch hunt! No attack! Lies! Sad!

Got to give it to Trump. He's the Babe Ruth AND the Michael Jordan of lying. 

mtierney said:

Which source is correct?

The position of chaplain was created in 1789. More than two centuries passed before the first Catholic was appointed, in 2000. The next one, Conroy, made it two Catholics in a row.

Thanks for clearing up that bit of history. 

Thanks also to Ml1 for a historical look back six years. Brings to mind some really big fibbers: Susan Rice, SOS Clinton, etc. etc

mtierney said:
 Brings to mind some really big fibbers: Susan Rice, SOS Clinton, etc. etc

But not big enough to appeal to you.

mtierney said:

Thanks also to Ml1 for a historical look back six years. Brings to mind some really big fibbers: Susan Rice, SOS Clinton, etc. etc

They're nothing compared to Trump. 

Charlie Munger, Berkshire Hathaway Vice-Chairman, said that he believes US will have single-payer healthcare once the Democrats control both houses of congress and the White House. He has been saying that the US should move to single-payer before.

If the Dems control bot Houses of Congress and the WH and don't deliver single-payer health insurance then what's the purpose of electing them?

mtierney said:

You don't have a clue about why Rice said what she said.

Still.

After 6 years.

And Clinton didn't even come close to lying about Benghazi, so I don't even know what you're talking about there. (I seem to remember an 11 hour hearing where she kicked the collective butts of the R's questioning her.)

But if you can go back six years for one "lie", if that "lie" is still burning in your brain, it's remarkable that you're able to absorb the daily Trump onslaught.

Or, does Fox simply not tell you about them?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Featured Events

Advertise here!