The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

after almost 500 pages, we may be witnessing the manner in which this thread dies.

ml1 said:

after almost 500 pages, we may be witnessing the manner in which this thread dies.

After they buried Billy Graham in the Rose Garden, what else was there to say?

But seriously, talking to mtierney is like talking to a sociopath.  Her ethics are so completely situational as to be no ethics at all.  How can you have a conversation with a person who's sole standard for judging the ethics of an action is the political affiliation of the the person in question.

We  could easily let this thread die if we wanted by simply not feeding the tribble.  Y'all remember the trouble with tribbles, right?

You  guys are more concerned about the number of pages, number of posts, the fact that an octogenarian

conservative should persevere in jousting with the liberal losers here is almost funny. But thinking about that, I see it as mostly pathetic .

The poster who is currently obsessed with syntax or whatever, who has been absent from MOL for sometime has as much right to comment here as anyone else. 

It is also telling that another poster makes persistently degrading and bullying remarks about me. I decline to engage this person at his level. With the exception of two or three posters, no one comments about this tirade . These folks wind up getting backlash for stepping up in my defense.

Sad.

you still aren't addressing the substance of our arguments. How can you continue to defend the racism, misogyny, and cruelty of people like Donald Trump?

mtierney said:

It is also telling that another poster makes persistently degrading and bullying remarks about me.

It is telling that you consider an honest description of your posts here to be "degrading".  Perhaps you should take a good look at what you have been doing, if you are able.

ml1 said:

How can you continue to defend the racism, misogyny, and cruelty of people like Donald Trump?

I think the how of the matter is pretty clear.

I will defend the office of the presidency and the person — male or female, of whatever party, who is recognized as the  elected POTUS. This does not mean I will be pleased with everything this person might say or do, but to be destructive in the extreme and hateful is disloyal to our democratic process. It only serves those who wish to see the destruction of this country of ours.

In 2016, a businessman was elected. Given half a chance, he may succeed. 2020 will be here soon enough, if DJT wins a second term, what will all the naysayers do? Actually move out of the country for real?

ml1 said:

you still aren't addressing the substance of our arguments. How can you continue to defend the racism, misogyny, and cruelty of people like Donald Trump?

I can't reconcile the latest post from mtierney with this one at the start of the thread. 

mtierney said:
A lot of confusion over the comments by President Obama at the Rose Garden press conference just after the Benghazi murders was raised at last night's debate. If what was said regarding "acts of terror" could have also referred to the Benghazi incident. -- quite a stretch in my view -- why in the world did the president and his team persist in repeating over and over that it was the video which triggered it?

The video story was discredited hours after the killings and subsequently by those investigating it in DC.

Thinking about it today, I have come to the conclusion that it must have been a very misguided attempt by the Obama campaign to downplay the event so close to Election Day.

Or, why did the president not point to his Rose Garden remarks weeks ago?

No you haven't. That's a blatantly untrue statement. 

mtierney said:

I will defend the office of the presidency and the person — male or female, of whatever party, who is recognized as the  elected POTUS. 

mtierney said:

I will defend the office of the presidency and the person — male or female, of whatever party, who is recognized as the  elected POTUS. 

You certainly didn't speak like this when Obama was president. You degraded and questioned his integrity at every turn. Yet when someone with the character of Donald Trump comes along, you fall all over yourself to defend him.

dave23 said:

mtierney said:

You certainly didn't speak like this when Obama was president. You degraded and questioned his integrity at every turn. Yet when someone with the character of Donald Trump comes along, you fall all over yourself to defend him.

One wonders whether she actually believes this nonsense and, if not, why she writes it. 

Why she writes it?

mtierney said:

"...the fact that an octogenarian conservative should persevere in jousting with the liberal losers here is almost funny."

She's trolling you all and getting her jollies out of it.

I know this isn’t ‘Rose garden’ but I can’t find the right thread: thought more might have been commented about the Florida gun control bill just passed by the Senate, the first stage to becoming legislation:

In some ways not really radical, in other ways, this seems more positive action than in a very long time. (Yes, I know we have to see if goes through all stages of passage, and if it actually has any effect. Still, it’s a beginning.)

mtierney said:

You  guys are more concerned about the number of pages, number of posts, the fact that an octogenarian

conservative should persevere in jousting with the liberal losers here is almost funny. But thinking about that, I see it as mostly pathetic .

What I do not understand is why you call yourself a "conservative". What do you actually believe? It seems to me that you just follow "The Party Line". To put it another way you've picked your team and you are loyal to it.

And no one here is a loser. If that is not a personal attack, what is?

mtierney said:

I will defend the office of the presidency and the person — male or female, of whatever party, who is recognized as the  elected POTUS. This does not mean I will be pleased with everything this person might say or do, but to be destructive in the extreme and hateful is disloyal to our democratic process. It only serves those who wish to see the destruction of this country of ours.

In 2016, a businessman was elected. Given half a chance, he may succeed. 2020 will be here soon enough, if DJT wins a second term, what will all the naysayers do? Actually move out of the country for real?

Donald Trump was a failed businessman. That's why he took a gig as a reality TV performer. That is who was elected, a TV personality, not a businessman. And succeed at what? What goal does he have other than self-aggrandizement and enrichment?

M, Having said that I will refer you to the thread entitled "Mea Culpa". Hope springs eternal and perhaps you can be redeemed.

In the meantime

nakaille said:

We  could easily let this thread die if we wanted by simply not feeding the tribble.  

ridski said:

BCC said:

ridski said:

dave23 said:

I don't think I had an "argument" about Icahn, but ok. 

https://healthpsychologyconsultancy.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/the-argumentative-personality/

If this was aimed at me, I use the words 'argument' and 'discussion' interchangeably. In  discussions there is frequently argument. If you don't recognize that, that's your problem, not mine.

You want to argue about this?

I'm glad you're okay, BCC, and hope that your family in PR are okay, too. When you dropped off MOL after the election I got worried, so it's good to hear from you. 

Actually my daughter-in-law got caught in both hurricanes but my son bailed her out

Thanks for the kind words,now what would you like to discuss. (joke, but like Trump I have to make that clear),

BCC said:

Thanks for the kind words,now what would you like to discuss.

You didn’t ask me, but: Columbia High baseball.

Klinker said:

ml1 said:

But seriously, talking to mtierney is like talking to a sociopath.  Her ethics are so completely situational as to be no ethics at all.  How can you have a conversation with a person who's sole standard for judging the ethics of an action is the political affiliation of the the person in question.

Meanwhile you judge a person's ethics based only on political affiliation consistently.

no he doesn't. he does it based on the content of someone's opinions.

lord_pabulum said:

Klinker said:

ml1 said:

Meanwhile you judge a person's ethics based only on political affiliation consistently.

DaveSchmidt said:

BCC said:

Thanks for the kind words,now what would you like to discuss.

My grandson is now in the university of Michigan but I'm still interested in CHS.

BCC said:

DaveSchmidt said:

My grandson is now in the university of Michigan but I'm still interested in CHS.

If I’m connecting the right dots, your grandson was an excellent player for the Cougars and a fine friend to my son, who also graduated.

Now back to the regular programming.

Another one bites the dust....

I'd say good riddance to bad garbage if the garbage in this case wasn't almost guaranteed to be replaced by something worse.

What a wonderful thing it is to read a rational exchange of opinions! How adult! How neighborly! We lived in Maplewood for 47 years, much longer for my husband who went to Seth Boyden kindergarten wink Maplewood was a community of neighbors who became friends.

I would offer a word of caution, however, kumbaya moments are rare. Do not incur the wrath of the offended and risk being being placed on their enemy list.

DaveSchmidt said:

BCC said:

DaveSchmidt said:

If I’m connecting the right dots, your grandson was an excellent player for the Cougars and a fine friend to my son, who also graduated.

Now back to the regular programming.

Your dot connection is accurate. Agreed. end of story.

didn’t intend to take a hiatus... but real life intervenes ...as MacArthur said, “I shall return.” 

Not a full “return,” but a brief visit. Too much is happening in Washington these days for even a political junkie like me to absorb. Much fear has been generated by the Bolton selection, but there is this....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/opinion/john-bolton-un-united-nations.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

mtierney said:

Not a full “return,” but a brief visit. Too much is happening in Washington these days for even a political junkie like me to absorb. Much fear has been generated by the Bolton selection, but there is this....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/opinion/john-bolton-un-united-nations.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

Ah, Bret Stephens criticizes the UN. Well, he is also a climate change denier, so it must be a reliable source.

Any word on your husband, mtierney? I hope he’s comfortable, and this service is more suitable.

gosh, a conservative American criticizing the UN.  Who could have seen that coming?

joanne said:

Any word on your husband, mtierney? I hope he’s comfortable, and this service is more suitable.

Unfortunately the new agency was worse and I am currently, hat in hand, asking to be taken back to the original agency gulp 

We had another foot of snow on Wednesday just to complicate things.

My husband is so grand about all the indignities he endures — me, not so much! Thanks, Joanne

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.