The worst movie you've ever seen...

Klinker said:

angelak said:

OMG -- I saw Event Horizon because I love scifi and I love Sam Neill.  What a horrible horrible movie.  I didn't walk out, but it was all I could do not to.

Klinker said:

My nomination for worst Science Fiction movie would probably be Event Horizon although Pacific Rim would be a close second.

Right.  The most absurd thing about Event Horizon was the ship.  Who would design a ship to transport people through space and coat every surface of the interior with enormous, razor sharp spikes for the passengers to impale themselves on?

A goth would design such a ship.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

My Dinner With Andre

The English Patient

Well that makes at least three of us who hated The English Patient although one is a fictional character, Elaine Benis.

I agree completely with Elaine Benis on that one.

I did walk out on the English Patient.  At least Mr. Peterman didn't make me go back and watch it all the way through.

I actually loved The English Patient when I saw it. I haven't watched it all the way through since, though. 

Event Horizon, however, I've seen plenty of times. It's not even a guilty pleasure of mine. It was one of my first dates with my wife and she hated it. Sad to see it getting such a bad rap in this thread, but I understand that tastes differ and there are no such thing as bad opinions, only wrong ones. 

Event Horizon was a horror flick in space.  I don’t generally watch something like that with a critical eye.  

ridski said:
Klinker said:
Right.  The most absurd thing about Event Horizon was the ship.  Who would design a ship to transport people through space and coat every surface of the interior with enormous, razor sharp spikes for the passengers to impale themselves on?

A goth would design such a ship.

They try to play the first bit of the film as a mystery but I just assumed that the crew had all died of accidental impalement.  It sort of sapped the suspense.

Lots of sci fi movies are also horror movies, often in space (e.g. Alien).  I view every movie with a critical eye taking into account what the movie intends to be. 

Red_Barchetta said:

Event Horizon was a horror flick in space.  I don’t generally watch something like that with a critical eye.  

Red_Barchetta said:

I wasn't critical as much as bored.  One would almost be tempted to view the film as a spoof of the sci-fi horror genre except it wasn't funny, just unwatchable.

Klinker said:

Red_Barchetta said:

I wasn't critical as much as bored.  One would almost be tempted to view the film as a spoof of the sci-fi horror genre except it wasn't funny, just unwatchable.

Ok, understand.  I guess I’m saying if I’m in front of the tube killing time and I flip past a movie with a sci fi theme, I’m likely to watch it.   For me, there are a lot of movies like that.  For example I recently watched Independence Day 2.  It was horrible.  But I wouldn’t put it down as the worst ever.  I expected it to suck so I had no emotion about it.  Plus, it was free. 

I'll also hang in there for sci fi longer than I might for some other genre picture.  Funny this is being discussed now because I did this last night with the second installment of the "Maze Runner" series. They're based on a "young adult" series of sci fi novels and the movies are thoroughly meh - rungs below the Hunger Games movies (which, frankly, are not as good as the reviews suggest but good).      

Red_Barchetta said:

Klinker said:

Red_Barchetta said:

Ok, understand.  I guess I’m saying if I’m in front of the tube killing time and I flip past a movie with a sci fi theme, I’m likely to watch it.   For me, there are a lot of movies like that.  For example I recently watched Independence Day 2.  It was horrible.  But I wouldn’t put it down as the worst ever.  I expected it to suck so I had no emotion about it.  Plus, it was free. 

Red_Barchetta said:

I guess I’m saying if I’m in front of the tube killing time and I flip past a movie with a sci fi theme, I’m likely to watch it.   For me, there are a lot of movies like that.  For example I recently watched Independence Day 2.  It was horrible.  But I wouldn’t put it down as the worst ever.  I expected it to suck so I had no emotion about it.  Plus, it was free. 

Yeah, that's, me too.  Some of my problem's with EH probably did have to do with expectations.  I had seen a trailer and it looked good.  That Friday was opening day so, after I finished the final for this intensive summer language class that I was taking I headed  down to the theater to reward myself.

That said, generally, if it is Sci Fi, I will give it a try.

think we watched the worst one last night — Bowfinger with Steve Martin. Awful!

Next worst was a movie about an isolated outpost in the Wild West period. I love westerns. Can’t recall the title, but the word eight was in it. I think everyone in the film dies horrible deaths by the end. Winter on the plains never looked so bad! Truly disgusting.

OMG you watched Hateful Eight.

The best worst movies I’ve ever seen ... (addendum)

Bowfinger

Not the worst movie I've ever seen, and not even the cheapest, but I must warn you not to watch Magellan on Amazon Prime. It's infuriating. Seriously. Avoid.

Quinton Tarantino will kill anyone at anytime.

steel said:

Quinton Tarantino will kill anyone at anytime.

I've grumped on this before, but I was flipping channels, and came across what, at first, I thought was a WWII historical fiction movie. After about 10 minutes the gratuitous violence started, and I realized it was Inglourious Basterds. I tried to watch it by changing channels during the violent parts (I just can't watch that stuff) to see how the plot played out. I guess I'm not into vengeance fantasies, because the ending just seemed trite.

Let me toss this one out- "Rubber," written and directed by Quentin Dupieux. I thought it was great - a POV movie for movie fans. But every one I recommended it to came back and said I had just wasted 90 minutes of their life. Most are still friends. Anyone out there ever watched it?

Husband also hated Event Horizon.  I'd never even heard of it until now.  And I agree with you about the tv thing and killing time.  I've been known to watch a few Lifetime movies and you just have to know going into it that it's going to be bad and yet fun at the same time.  

Red_Barchetta said:

Klinker said:

Red_Barchetta said:

marylago said:

yahooyahoo said:

My apologies to Stanley Kubrick fans but I thought Eyes Wide Shut was pretty bad.

Awful. 

So stupid.  Nicole Kidman peeing on the toilet was the best part.

Can I mention 3? 

I watched the original Pinnoccio with my kids. I thought it was going to be the Pinnoccio I remembered as a kid. WRONG. It was the most horrific, frightening movie I or my kids have ever seen.  

The second is the Jonny Depp version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I thought it would be a modern twist of the well loved Gene Wilder version.....wow was I wrong! It was a psychedelic freak show and I now fear that my kids will never eat chocolate or visit the dentist again. They will likely also have a permanent fear of squirrels. 

And finally,  "World's Greatest Dad"-  I had no idea what this was about when I started watching, and figured I couldn't go wrong with anything with Robin Williams. Wow...this movie was TERRIBLE and I do not recommend it to anyone. 

speaking of Robin Williams, may he Rest In Peace, I hated Mrs. Doubtfire. I hear it’s being made into a musical. G-d save us.  

yahooyahoo said:

My apologies to Stanley Kubrick fans but I thought Eyes Wide Shut was pretty bad.

Totally agree.

My husband hated "I <3 [heart] Huckabees"   Personally I never heard of it but hubby said it was awful.

not quite the worse movie ever, but surely the most un-pc one! The oldie, the Cheyenne Social Club with Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Shirley Jones, and directed by Gene Kelly. A winner, right? On TCM last night. Amazing cinematography, etc. 

BUT, a story about a whore house where all the women are beautiful and all love their work, albeit none very bright, and in which  the community regards the business as vital to the menfolk!

Jimmy and Hank make for a charming buddy tale, even sharing a double bed.

mtierney said:

a whore house where all the women are beautiful and all love their work, albeit non very bright, and in which  the community regards the business as vital to the menfolk!

Mar a Lago?

While I'm at it....may I please add Splice to the list?  This science fiction is terrible....but oddly addictive and I did watch through the dramatic ending. 

Oh, and Delicatessin- anyone see that? Another one I didn't research first and NEVER will subject myself to again. Ugh. Just awful. 

Niceporch said:

While I'm at it....may I please add Splice to the list?  This science fiction is terrible....but oddly addictive and I did watch through the dramatic ending. 

Oh, and Delicatessin- anyone see that? Another one I didn't research first and NEVER will subject myself to again. Ugh. Just awful. 

Oh man, I LOVED Delicatessen! So dark and funny! They even pretty much ripped off their own sex scene later in Amelie.

Have you tried The City of Lost Children? It's by the same guys, but it's a little more fairy-tale than Delicatessen.

"The Cloverfield Paradox" is terrible.  Just released on Netflix, their clever surprise marketing campaign during the Super Bowl was really just to create buzz for a terrible, terrible movie.  It's trying to be about 5 other space horror movies at the same time.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.