The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

I put up an Oriole feeder, and had a male Oriole the next day!  Stunning bird! 

finnegan said:

Brag brag brag... Glad you got to see one.

finnegan said:

I've put up Clementines for a couple of weeks now but nothing. What did the feeder look like? Maybe they recognize them.

marylago said:

Saw a female American Redstart this morning hanging around the feeder, but not feeding at it. Very cool. 

Gorgeous bird! I might have thought it was a Redwing except for the size.

Things have slowed down at the feeder but this was from a couple of days ago.

Morganna said:

Things have slowed down at the feeder but this was from a couple of days ago.

I bought some petunias to entice them to visit. Fingers crossed...

birdwatcher said:

I bought some petunias to entice them to visit. Fingers crossed...

Good luck! What color?

A Cooper's Hawk practically divebombed us on our deck the other day.  It was chasing another bird and flew within a few feet of us in the process.  A little later the same afternoon we had a Northern Flicker hopping around our backyard.  Just a couple of weeks ago we had a Great Horned Owl way up in the top of a tree next door that crows were harassing mercilessly.  Unfortunately the crows won and the owl flew off after about a half hour.

Morganna said:

Good luck! What color?

Home Depot was out of red so I got pink. Also planting some sort of bush that is supposed to attract hummingbirds. 

sac said:

A Cooper's Hawk practically divebombed us on our deck the other day.  It was chasing another bird and flew within a few feet of us in the process.  A little later the same afternoon we had a Northern Flicker hopping around our backyard.  Just a couple of weeks ago we had a Great Horned Owl way up in the top of a tree next door that crows were harassing mercilessly.  Unfortunately the crows won and the owl flew off after about a half hour.

A Great Horned Owl here? I'm wild about Owls. Endlessly painting and drawing them. What luck! 

As for the little guys pestering the big boys, I've been noticing small birds chasing away Hawks lately.

birdwatcher said:

Home Depot was out of red so I got pink. Also planting some sort of bush that is supposed to attract hummingbirds. 

Is it Butterfly Bush ( Buddleia)?

Bought an inexpensive small feeder so the Blue Jays don't overwhelm the Finches.

I'm taking the suet cakes in at night and only hanging them when the other wild life is not around. The Raccoon chewed up the last cage but the well behaved Blue Jay is treating it gently.

Morganna said:

I'm taking the suet cakes in at night and only hanging them when the other wild life in not around. The Raccoon chewed up the last cage but the well behaved Blue Jay is treating it gently.

If I put up suet, I get a parade of grackles eating all day long until it’s gone. A woodpecker here and there. 

Morganna said:

Is it Butterfly Bush ( Buddleia)?

I think it’s a heather something or other?

The grackles are relentless. And so mean. (But yet also beautiful. There’s something I love about those evil yellow eyes.)

birdwatcher said:

If I put up suet, I get a parade of grackles eating all day long until it’s gone. A woodpecker here and there. 

I have a few advantages. I'm on 3/4 of an acre and about 1/2 is tall woods. On the "yard" side I have 4 enormous Hollies which attract so many birds who either like the berries or the dense shelter. There is a fountain and 3 bird baths. That said, I have not seen a single Goldfinch and blew $20 bucks on a new Nyjer feeder and have seed just being ignored.

Once birds discover a spot, like Hummingbirds, they tend to return. I had one who was noticeable because of his dangling leg. When they nest and raise a pair of twins, those birds will probably return. 

I guess your neighbors contribute to the lure. If there are several with feeders out or enticing plants, you may get explorers.

Don't be discouraged. The females are nesting but when babies hatch the population increases. And then there is the feeding frenzy before the fall migration.

Just hang on to the concept, "if you build it they will come." Of course some of the visitors may be pushy, like Starlings. I invested in Woodpecker sized nesting boxes. I got a thank you note from a female Starling. Ah well.

Morganna said:

I have a few advantages. I'm on 3/4 of an acre and about 1/2 is tall woods. On the "yard" side I have 4 enormous Hollies which attract so many birds who either like the berries or the dense shelter. There is a fountain and 3 bird baths. That said, I have not seen a single Goldfinch and blew $20 bucks on a new Nyjer feeder and have seed just being ignored.

Once birds discover a spot, like Hummingbirds, they tend to return. I had one who was noticeable because of his dangling leg. When they nest and raise a pair of twins, those birds will probably return. 

I guess your neighbors contribute to the lure. If there are several with feeders out or enticing plants, you may get explorers.

Don't be discouraged. The females are nesting but when babies hatch the population increases. And then there is the feeding frenzy before the fall migration.

Just hang on to the concept, "if you build it they will come." Of course some of the visitors may be pushy, like Starlings. I invested in Woodpecker sized nesting boxes. I got a thank you note from a female Starling. Ah well.

Your post made my day

birdwatcher said:

Your post made my day

I won’t give up! 

Glossy ibis and cedar waxwing- this morning at the meadows- cape may 

oots said:

Cool!

oots said:

What a treat! I doubt I'll get Cedar Waxwings this year as the Robins have stripped my Hollies of their berries. Great shot of the Ibis.

Our ibises are getting pretty clever at avoiding predation from City Council catchers:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-25/gold-coast-ibises-nest-above-croc-enclosure-to-avoid-control/100163026

They’re lovely critters, when not muddy or tattered from scavenging in bins and rubbish dumps. It’s lovely seeing them wading around the lake here. Sadly, we have to leave before the end of July (landlords want to sell)…

So sad you have to leave. I hope you find an equally lovely place. You do not need this stress. 

joanne said:

Our ibises are getting pretty clever at avoiding predation from City Council catchers:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-25/gold-coast-ibises-nest-above-croc-enclosure-to-avoid-control/100163026

They’re lovely critters, when not muddy or tattered from scavenging in bins and rubbish dumps. It’s lovely seeing them wading around the lake here. Sadly, we have to leave before the end of July (landlords want to sell)…

So sorry to hear that @joanne. Please keep us updated. You were one of the first MOL posters who kept this thread going with lovely pictures of Aussie birds. Looking forward to seeing your next location. Best of luck.

Well I’m pleased to report that we’re not moving in the next 2 weeks!  smile

We’ll have to be out by 20 July. Sigh. The search continues. 

Your help again, please? This is a friend’s roof in Basking Ridge. She says Cooper’s hawks. I say no way. 

Heynj said:

Your help again, please? This is a friend’s roof in Basking Ridge. She says Cooper’s hawks. I say no way. 

Not the right coloring for any of the hawks in the area. I would have to say turkey vultures.

https://natureintheburbs.wordpress.com/tag/turkey-vultures/

Turkey vultures have a reddish face, so it is the black vulture.

She says they appear to snack on sparrows and possibly finches. Would vultures do that? I’m guessing yes?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.