The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

birdwatcher said:

I tried looking him up. No luck either. I just saw what looks like a black and white warbler with yellow on his wings. Do we get yellow rumpled warblers here? Or is it something else? 

My first reaction was a Warbler but I couldn't find this one. I saw an Australian bird that was similar. The only coloring that was that black and white is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, but without the Rose and without the beak and smaller. So that's no help.

birdwatcher said:

Morganna said:

What in the world is this guy. Looked through 2 books and online. Not at the feeder but eating berries from the Holly, Smaller than a sparrow, more the size of a Warbler or Chickadee. Had a tough time getting a shot through the dense Holly. Anybody know this bird. Looks to be just black and white.

I tried looking him up. No luck either. I just saw what looks like a black and white warbler with yellow on his wings. Do we get yellow rumpled warblers here? Or is it something else? 

We are not supposed to get yellow-rumped warblers here, but they are in Cape May, so it's possible that an ol' "butter butt" made it this far north.

Maybe a black throated blue warbler?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-throated_Blue_Warbler/id

ETA: Which, btw, would be amazing! It's only a "passing migrant."

marylago said:

Maybe a black throated blue warbler?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-throated_Blue_Warbler/id

ETA: Which, btw, would be amazing! It's only a "passing migrant."

Those pics look pretty close. I had seen another shot before but the blue looked too blue. But this must be the one. We are in the best migratory corridor.

marksierra said:

Fun times!  Dancing with your bird on a summer's evening ...
smile

https://twitter.com/SurmanDave/status/1390762474257911820?s=20

I love Moluccan Cockatoos. I had a rescued Umbrella Cockatoo, Much smaller bird.

I asked permission from someone on Nextdoor to post this lovely picture. He explained that Mourning Doves nest in this wreath each year!

Morganna said:

I asked permission from someone on Nextdoor to post this lovely picture. He explained that Mourning Doves nest in this wreath each year!

Such a great photo. 

oots said:

Cape May pt state park this morning 

yellow throated warbler, killdeer and a greater yellowlegs

I saw my very first common yellow throat in my garden here in SO today. What a beauty. 

Morganna said:

My first reaction was a Warbler but I couldn't find this one. I saw an Australian bird that was similar. The only coloring that was that black and white is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, but without the Rose and without the beak and smaller. So that's no help.

Morganna I think you brought me good luck mentioning a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Look who showed up here today. This is my first Spring here in SO. I can’t believe how good the birding is. 

birdwatcher said:

I saw my very first common yellow throat in my garden here in SO today. What a beauty. 

You have my bird from last week!

birdwatcher said:

Morganna I think you brought me good luck mentioning a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. Look who showed up here today. This is my first Spring here in SO. I can’t believe how good the birding is. 

Wow! We need to post maps for them so that they know where the food is! So happy you are having such a great experience and glad you joined this thread.

So...it’s the size of a grackle, but way less iridescent. Black eyes rather than yellow. And a tiny bit of grayish or brown feathers on its shoulders. I looked at Purple Martin photos and descriptions, but it’s the slight shoulder color that has me thrown off. Any suggestions as to ID? Thank you from a true bird rookie...

Heynj said:

So...it’s the size of a grackle, but way less iridescent. Black eyes rather than yellow. And a tiny bit of grayish or brown feathers on its shoulders. I looked at Purple Martin photos and descriptions, but it’s the slight shoulder color that has me thrown off. Any suggestions as to ID? Thank you from a true bird rookie...

Sounds like a Cowbird? Like this?

Morganna said:

Wow! We need to post maps for them so that they know where the food is! So happy you are having such a great experience and glad you joined this thread.

Thank you! It is so good to have found others who enjoy these sightings as much as I do! 

Morganna said:

You have my bird from last week!

I will take all of your last week birds! Please send me a hummmingbird!

birdwatcher said:

I will take all of your last week birds! Please send me a hummmingbird!

I have 2 females at least. Very small and active. I notice Hummers love to come out in the rain. The girls were back and forth the past 2 days. Quiet today but my ex husband and I were pruning and making a racket in the garden so we may have spooked them. I'll be watching now.

If you can hang some enticing flowers nearby like a basket of Petunias, I opt for lots of reds and yellows.

May have been a cowbird, Morganna - thank you!!

I haven’t checked my birdie references, but could you be thinking of our fairy wrens, Morganna? They’re often the same size and shape, and black and white. 

Morganna said:

Those pics look pretty close. I had seen another shot before but the blue looked too blue. But this must be the one. We are in the best migratory corridor.

(I’m about 90 posts behind, sorry folks. ETA: thought I was replying to your Aussie bird comment, too. Sigh.)

Morganna said:

I have 2 females at least. Very small and active. I notice Hummers love to come out in the rain. The girls were back and forth the past 2 days. Quiet today but my ex husband and I were pruning and making a racket in the garden so we may have spooked them. I'll be watching now.

If you can hang some enticing flowers nearby like a basket of Petunias, I opt for lots of reds and yellows.

I think a flower basket might do the trick. Do you know the best place to buy one locally?

birdwatcher said:

I think a flower basket might do the trick. Do you know the best place to buy one locally?

Home Depot going past Maplewood.  Their prices are reasonable.

The Home Depot

Facebook (80)2445 Springfield Ave, Vauxhall · (908) 686-9804Open · Closes 10 PM

It's fun going to Metropolitan Plants in West Orange. 

joanne said:

(I’m about 90 posts behind, sorry folks. ETA: thought I was replying to your Aussie bird comment, too. Sigh.)

Hey joanne, wondered where you were. Might have been the Fairy Wren.

Hummingbird girls are back at the feeder. None have touched the old glass one. That Humzinger is the preferred. Hopefully the days of warm sunshine will get those Honeysuckle buds to open.

Planting the Red Salvia Annuals today between trips to the  recycling center to get mulch and compost.

Morganna said:

Home Depot going past Maplewood.  Their prices are reasonable.

The Home Depot

Facebook (80)2445 Springfield Ave, Vauxhall · (908) 686-9804Open · Closes 10 PM

It's fun going to Metropolitan Plants in West Orange. 

Thank you!!

I saw a very sharp-looking bird at my bird feeder today.  It was about the size and beak of a sparrow but had a white face and a sharp black stripe then dark on the rest of the head.  I am not a birder, but this bird looked very nice and I do not recall seeing them before.  

I only put out a little food into the bird feeder when I want to attract birds.   I saw too many rats at bird feeders when the feeder is overfull and lots of seed falls to the ground.  Also, I had to put cooking oil on the feeder metal stake pole so the squirrels could not climb it.  It was funny watching the squirrels try to climb the metal stand, only to slide down much like a fireman on a firehouse pole.  

I am just catching up here, skimming all the messages, but wanted to jump in and say there have been dozens of yellow rumps all over town this week -- maybe a dozen this morning in the barely-leafed tall trees hanging over the brook behind the library, and lots of other places. We definitely get our full complement of butter-butts!

I've also seen two hummingbirds in my backyard in the past few days -- hope they stick around! I don't have many blooms for them yet, but do have a nectar feeder up.

RobertRoe said:

I saw a very sharp-looking bird at my bird feeder today.  It was about the size and beak of a sparrow but had a white face and a sharp black stripe then dark on the rest of the head.  I am not a birder, but this bird looked very nice and I do not recall seeing them before.  

I only put out a little food into the bird feeder when I want to attract birds.   I saw too many rats at bird feeders when the feeder is overfull and lots of seed falls to the ground.  Also, I had to put cooking oil on the feeder metal stake pole so the squirrels could not climb it.  It was funny watching the squirrels try to climb the metal stand, only to slide down much like a fireman on a firehouse pole.  

Maybe one of these? A female?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/id

RobertRoe said:

I don't try to outsmart the squirrels but this little bandit is ready for Cirque du Soleil.

When I have a critter problem, I sometimes playfully think to myself, "Who's smarter, me or the critter?"   Then I try to come with a solution.   But sometimes the critter wins.   

Saw a female American Redstart this morning hanging around the feeder, but not feeding at it. Very cool. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!