The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

I'm always happy to see Finches and I always confuse the Red Finch with the Purple Finch. Pretty sure that this little visitor is a Red Finch.

Morganna said:

I'm always happy to see Finches and I always confuse the Red Finch with the Purple Finch. Pretty sure that this little visitor is a Red Finch.

Where are all the gold finches this year? Last spring we had lots of them.

Sweetsnuggles said:

Where are all the gold finches this year? Last spring we had lots of them.

Did they show up this early? I have 2 draws. My fountain, which I just turned on today and late in the summer my coneflowers. I don't know if you ever saw these.

Beautiful photo! Maybe it’s still too early.  I remember your fountain.  We have a little pond that draws the birds and I have a goldfinch feeder full of fresh Nyjer seed.

Morganna said:

Did they show up this early? I have 2 draws. My fountain, which I just turned on today and late in the summer my coneflowers. I don't know if you ever saw these.

Sweetsnuggles said:

When they don't show up, my nyjer seed tends to get overlooked by the sparrows and when it rains it can get damp and go bad. Here's my old nyjer feeder.

LOL we might have lost a cygnet. There were only 2 this morning, and later, neighbours confirmed they’ve only seen 2 for a couple of days. 

joanne said:

LOL
we might have lost a cygnet. There were only 2 this morning, and later, neighbours confirmed they’ve only seen 2 for a couple of days. 

Aww. 

Check out the Hummingbird migration map. They are close! Time to get the feeders ready and buy your white granulated sugar to make their favorite cocktail!

https://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-migration-map-2020.html#spring-migration-map-2020

Bluebird of Happiness!

Familiar beauty is still beautiful. Try to look at everything as if you have never seen it before.

I will put my feeder up on April 15. They arrive about that time, often a bit later but the males come first and will be looking around for an open bar and some nice leafy real estate. To me it's worth getting an early bird than missing the chance. Depending on the weather we may not have many nectar producing flowers blooming. My columbines are just breaking through and I don't expect to see my honeysuckle for awhile. 

I have no idea what hanging baskets will be for sale assuming garden centers are open and not sure if I will feel ready to go to one, so if we put out feeders we may help these little travelers.

Hummingbird sighted in Rockaway NJ April 7 so my feeder will go up in the morning. Another sighting in CT.

Since it has been so warm, my hummer feeder went up is April 1 to be available for the male scout who always arrives before the female. 

Yesterday, we had an oriole...at the hummer feeder several times (with perches, which they need I learned). They feed on nectar at this time of year I read. Added a hummer feeder with a flat platform where there are better holes for them to access the sugar water and I could add a piece of orange, a favorite of theirs. They quickly moved to that.

lynnl199 said:

Since it has been so warm, my hummer feeder went up is April 1 to be available for the male scout who always arrives before the female. 

Yesterday, we had an oriole...at the hummer feeder several times (with perches, which they need I learned). They feed on nectar at this time of year I read. Added a hummer feeder with a flat platform where there are better holes for them to access the sugar water and I could add a piece of orange, a favorite of theirs. They quickly moved to that.

Thanks for the hint about orioles. I have only had one or two over the years and I love them. Are you in SOMA?

Yes, off of Prospect, near Underhill Field

Cygnet report: 

Well, they’re growing! Still babies but necks are longer and legs are beginning to get awkwardly long - it’s kinda fun watching them play and swim while getting breakfast, trying to work out what to do with their slightly bigger bits. 
Their feathers are starting to change, too, from soft fluffy down to more like recognisable feathers. They nearly always look dirty and wet, as if they’ve been scuffling around. I think that’s because they groom each other and duck-dive (not quite swan-dive yet). They’re ALWAYS hungry when come around. 
The other morning, the silly resident who paddles her kayak on the lake (it’s meant to be reserved for wildlife only) came past just as Daddy Swan was bringing the family over for breakfast. Totally rattled him. He was on alert for hours, rigidly straight neck, didn’t drink or eat and only turned by turning whole body not swivelling his head. D won’t let me report her because technically we shouldn’t throw the little seed we scatter daily.

Look at them! They are lovely @joanne

Spring has brought a great deal of singing and chirping to my yard but I'm waiting for a resident wren for my birdhouse and of course a hummingbird at my feeder. Today's rainy windy weather will keep me inside but with a watchful eye through the windows. Outside I can hear the musical conversation, usually a tip off when the wren boys are looking for a date. They are among the most popular voices in the avian kingdom. 

I had to laugh, reading of a certain political advisor’s comments re black swans in a ‘fiery TV interview’. Seems he doubts they exist. Well, they’re not just confined to Australia! And they’re highly migratory! smile)

I saw the humming bird recipe above which I will use.  Last year I tried attracting humming birds with no luck.  Does it take time?  Does it need to be located away from other feeders?  Any suggestions appreciated for this novice.  Thanks!

LuvThisTown said:

I saw the humming bird recipe above which I will use.  Last year I tried attracting humming birds with no luck.  Does it take time?  Does it need to be located away from other feeders?  Any suggestions appreciated for this novice.  Thanks!

It can take a bit of time. Helps if you have people in the area that are either feeding or have appealing flowers. 

Mine is not too far from my feeder simply because I photograph from my kitchen window and I have an iron trellis which is perfect for hanging. both the feeder and appropriate hanging baskets of flowers. I'll post a couple of old pictures. I grab a basket or two from Home Depot or Metropolitan plants. Look for something with petunias or the mini versions. Trumpet shaped flowers appeal to them for the nectar and ease of sipping.

I managed to get honeysuckle vine established which is a lure and the are find of columbine (aquilegia)

Supposedly red grabs their attention but bright yellow works They return to the same areas.

Don't be discouraged if they show up late. Sometimes I have to wait until early May but keep your mix fresh. There is a black mold that will harm them, particularly watch for it when the sun and heat get going.

Don't give up and let us know how its going!

First picture is hummer going to the honeysuckle.

Second is the mini petunias called calibrachoa but regular petunia are great as well. There are different types of feeders as well.

Thank you so much!  I will see what I can do.

joanne said:

I had to laugh, reading of a certain political advisor’s comments re black swans in a ‘fiery TV interview’. Seems he doubts they exist. Well, they’re not just confined to Australia! And they’re highly migratory!

Further proof, from this morning: Daddy Swan (the cob) walking on the grass under us

Morganna said:

It can take a bit of time. Helps if you have people in the area that are either feeding or have appealing flowers. 

Mine is not too far from my feeder simply because I photograph from my kitchen window and I have an iron trellis which is perfect for hanging. both the feeder and appropriate hanging baskets of flowers. I'll post a couple of old pictures. I grab a basket or two from Home Depot or Metropolitan plants. Look for something with petunias or the mini versions. Trumpet shaped flowers appeal to them for the nectar and ease of sipping.

I managed to get honeysuckle vine established which is a lure and the are find of columbine (aquilegia)

Supposedly red grabs their attention but bright yellow works They return to the same areas.

Don't be discouraged if they show up late. Sometimes I have to wait until early May but keep your mix fresh. There is a black mold that will harm them, particularly watch for it when the sun and heat get going.

Don't give up and let us know how its going!

First picture is hummer going to the honeysuckle.

Second is the mini petunias called calibrachoa but regular petunia are great as well. There are different types of feeders as well.

It took about two years of putting out my hummingbird feeder before they started hanging out in our yard. 

Sweetsnuggles said:

It took about two years of putting out my hummingbird feeder before they started hanging out in our yard. 

Hi @Sweetsnuggles , About when do they show up in your yard?

LuvThisTown said:

Wanted to show the feeder that I have switched to.

Morganna said:

Hi @Sweetsnuggles , About when do they show up in your yard?

@Morganna - I usually start seeing them here in early May.  It is possible that they arrive earlier and that I just don’t happen to see them. My feeder is not visible from inside my house. I have to walk out on the porch to see the feeder.  I’m about two miles south of you, near Ridgewood/Jefferson Ave. 

Sweetsnuggles said:

@Morganna - I usually start seeing them here in early May.  It is possible that they arrive earlier and that I just don’t happen to see them. My feeder is not visible from inside my house. I have to walk out on the porch to see the feeder.  I’m about two miles south of you, near Ridgewood/Jefferson Ave. 

Yes that sounds about right. I'll scroll back through the thread, I get very anxious and start thinking they forgot where I live. For a couple of years I had a male hummer with a damaged foot. It hung limp so he was easy to recognize, but he managed for at least 2 years.

Fresh sugar water in the feeder. No visitors yet but I'm noticing the honeysuckle has plenty of green leaves, no flowers. Slow to come up are my columbines. They really like them.

I hear that the Maplewood Garden Club will have an online sale for those who need flowers to attract the hummers. I'll look for a link unless you can post @Sweetsnuggles.

Not sure what will be in stock but for those who yearn for goldfinches, buy coneflowers. Mine do well but my woodchucks ate them so I'm hesitant. I see one as big as a wooly mammoth setting up house.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.