The Democratic debate #3 discussion (Without videos)

steel said:

It's only September of 2019. I don't know why so many folks are calling for candidates to drop out already. Gosh, too confusing to hear different perspectives or ideas from more than three people? Can the voters really only have an appetite to listen to two or three people? Personally, I'm in no hurry to "clear the decks". Many of these ideas can (and have in the past) ultimately influenced the so-called leading candidates and ultimately landed as useful and accepted policy.

At the moment I'm referring specifically (but not exclusively) to Andrew Yang. This guy from nowhere with "no chance" is STILL on the stage (because of his numbers) with nine other "pros" while other experienced governors and senators have fallen off. He's there because he has earned it.

He has been the only one for months alerting audiences to the ongoing and quickly changing dynamics of jobs replacement of the five most popular jobs in America, not by immigrants but by artificial intelligence and robotics. -Last night Joe might have referenced "record players" but I also recently heard Joe in an interview repeating Yang's talking points about the future job market almost verbatim as though they where his own. 

Yang has also been instructive on many other topics such as how we wrongly measure the economic "health" of an economy using metrics deceptive to the reality of people's daily lives etc etc.

Will Yang win the nomination? -No but many of his perspectives are winners that we would all be well served to consider. And BTW, -the other candidates may have been mocking of his "gimmick" last night but will wake-up well surprised at the amount of traffic it drives to his website and the stories that it will generate in the next few months.

Trump (sadly) upended many assumptions about what is possible in this country yet so many people are still presuming and dismissing out-of-hand what can or should come to be.

+10

I want Biden to get the nomination because I still believe he’s the most electable but holy cow, what a weak candidate.  It’s appalling that we can’t come up with someone better after 2.5 years of Trump.  Biden would be a Dem version of Ronald Reagan.  Charming without much going on upstairs. 

This Deadspin article is brutal but not far off.  

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/joe-biden-is-a-doddering-old-mummy-with-a-skull-full-of-1838094396

If Biden is in fact the most electable candidate (a premise that I whole heartedly reject) then we should just throw in the towel now and start carving Trump's head into Mount Rushmore. The dude CANNOT win.  He is simply too old, too conservative and, it is becoming increasingly clear, just a moron.

I couldn't watch, do thank you all for telling me about.

Did any of the candidates say anything of substance that he/she has not said before?

Did any of you change your view of any candidate? 

Senility is particularly daunting when the person in question was an idiot even when they retained their mental acuity.

STANV said:

Did any of the candidates say anything of substance that he/she has not said before?

Biden said he was going to get rid of jail time for white collar criminals.  That was one I hadn't heard before.

To be fair, his campaign made it clear that he didn't know what he was talking about and that his statement was in no way consistent with the position they had chosen for him.

Maybe next time they should just roll out a robo Biden that they can control from back stage.

Klinker said:

If Biden is in fact the most electable candidate (a premise that I whole heartedly reject) then we should just throw in the towel now and start carving Trump's head into Mount Rushmore. The dude CANNOT win.  He is simply too old, too conservative and, it is becoming increasingly clear, just a moron.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

Yeah, but right now Trump wants Biden to be the nominee.  Come the General, Trump will eat Biden alive and then hump his corpse.  Biden is Trump's dream candidate.  

The Trump team won't even have to work, Biden will come up with their lines for them. Assuming Biden is still capable of stringing sentences together in nine months.

Hell, ERIC Trump could beat Biden.

If Trump beats Biden, I won't blame Trump or his followers, I will blame the Dems who chose the worst candidate in the primary, knowing damn well that he couldn't win.

Klinker said:

If Trump beats Biden, I won't blame Trump or his followers, I will blame the Dems who chose the worst candidate in the primary, knowing damn well that he couldn't win.

Jamie, could you PLEASE install an "ignore" button, so we can tune out the nonsensical, moronic blatherings ad infinitum? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEE?

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Klinker said:

Jamie, could you PLEASE install an "ignore" button, so we can tune out the nonsensical, moronic blatherings ad infinitum? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEE?

Hey DS, watch what you say about the colonel (AKA the "kernel").  ml1 (or Dave Schmidt) will likely be posting that you are being condescending to the colonel (oh wait, don't worry that treatment is reserved for those with a different POV than ml1 or DS have on big issues).

I believe that we will see Biden rightly and steadily drop in the polls over the next few months. 

BUT -to be fair; 

-Biden did NOT say that he would get rid of jail time for "white collar criminals". What he said was that he would get rid of jail time for "non violent" offenders -which was also a WTF moment but what he (apparently) meant was "non violent drug offenders". -Another scary brain fart regardless.

STANV said:

Yes. I will not support Castro.

I was  very impressed with Beto. He has gone all out on taking away assault weapons. He seems to be closer to Cory on guns than most of the candidates. Its a big issue with me. Up there with climate change and women's rights. 

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Klinker said:

Nice to know who, specifically, will be to blame for four more years of Trump. Someone here is nonsensical and moronic but I think it is the guy who is actively working to get the worst President in history reelected.  I'm looking at you Dennis.

I can't imagine that Paul or Nan are happy about Bernie calling Maduro a "violent tyrant" last night. They must see it as another sell-out to the Democratic establishment, just like his embrace of Russiagate. 

proeasdf said:

Hey DS, watch what you say about the colonel (AKA the "kernel").  ml1 (or Dave Schmidt) will likely be posting that you are being condescending to the colonel (oh wait, don't worry that treatment is reserved for those with a different POV than ml1 or DS have on big issues).

U mad bro?

ml1 said:

proeasdf said:

U mad bro?

He doesn't really need to worry.  I generally don't read his posts so the possibility of me being offended is pretty low.

Klinker said:

You know, people who watched the debate dismissed Harris but, for the majority of voters who didn't watch it, her line about the "little dude behind the curtain" is getting a lot of props. I would venture to say that, with the possible exception of Biden's brain shart about the gramophone, it is the signature line of the evening.

It was such a stupid line. It didn’t even make any sense.

I watched the whole thing save for the first 6 minutes and I didn’t notice any “cackling” or any odd/weird/inappropriate behavior or sounds coming from Harris. 

ml1 said:

proeasdf said:

U mad bro?

Never mad.  

Just pointing out your hyper interest when I employ some direct-humor/critique of the kernel versus when DS does the same thing (with regards to the kernel).

Why do you think you have such hyper-interest in my critique of the kernel (but no interest in DS' critique of the kernel)?

Morganna said:

STANV said:

Yes. I will not support Castro.

I was  very impressed with Beto. He has gone all out on taking away assault weapons. He seems to be closer to Cory on guns than most of the candidates. Its a big issue with me. Up there with climate change and women's rights. 

Agreed Castro has no respect from me now. I didn’t think of him one way or another before- now, I think he’s a jerk.

Booker rose another notch in my mind. 

Beto was finally the Beto we all wanted. If he had been that since Day 1, he’d be in this fight now.

Harris fell further in my mind as well. 

Bernie continues to make me want to vomit. That hasn’t changed.

I wish the field had been smaller so we could have seen more of a contest between Elizabeth and Joe. 

proeasdf said:

Never mad.  

Just pointing out your hyper interest when I employ some direct-humor/critique of the kernel versus when DS does the same thing (with regards to the kernel).

Why do you think you have such hyper-interest in my critique of the kernel (but no interest in DS' critique of the kernel)?

I have no idea what you are referring to. 

Klinker said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Klinker said:

Nice to know who, specifically, will be to blame for four more years of Trump. Someone here is nonsensical and moronic but I think it is the guy who is actively working to get the worst President in history reelected.  I'm looking at you Dennis.

I'm not working for anybody. I am anti Bernie, but not obsessively posting screed after screed with demeaning and insulting comments, like you.

conandrob240 said:

Klinker said:

You know, people who watched the debate dismissed Harris but, for the majority of voters who didn't watch it, her line about the "little dude behind the curtain" is getting a lot of props. I would venture to say that, with the possible exception of Biden's brain shart about the gramophone, it is the signature line of the evening.

It was such a stupid line. It didn’t even make any sense.

I watched the whole thing save for the first 6 minutes and I didn’t notice any “cackling” or any odd/weird/inappropriate behavior or sounds coming from Harris. 

See 8:45 to 9:15 of the debate at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWVO0Trd1c&t=557s

Approximately, ten seconds of KH cackling.  CNN also thought it so unusual that they devoted a portion of an interview to KH's "chuckling."  See following clip at 6:28 to 7:20 at :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmX9XRxuzeM&t=347s  

KH's explanation of her "chuckling" was less than forthright IMHO (to the point of causing many to conclude that she is a bad liar).

CNN Clip is titled:  Kamala Harris explains why she chuckled at Andrew Yang.

ml1 said:

proeasdf said:

Never mad.  

I have, on occasion, poked fun at DS for making 'Dad jokes', but his repartee includes many original puns, and other types of humor that include astute takes on something.

Proeasdf, if you think using the term 'kernel' is funny... well... perhaps the issue is that your sense of comedy may be better aligned with a younger crowd?

proeasdf said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Hey DS, watch what you say about the colonel (AKA the "kernel").

He’s a DS.

ml1 (or Dave Schmidt) will likely be posting that you are being condescending to the colonel (oh wait, don't worry that treatment is reserved for those with a different POV than ml1 or DS have on big issues).

I’m a DS.

Mozart.

sprout said:

ml1 said:

proeasdf said:

Never mad.  

I have, on occasion, poked fun at DS for making 'Dad jokes', but his repartee includes many original puns, and other types of humor that include astute takes on something.

Proeasdf, if you think using the term 'kernel' is funny... well... perhaps the issue is that your sense of comedy may be better aligned with a younger crowd?

Homonyms are the basis of many jokes.  Homonym jokes to follow:

If four couples went to a restaurant, how many people dined?
Eight ate.

Two ran the race, but only...
One won.

sprout said:

ml1 said:

proeasdf said:

Never mad.  

Homonyms are the basis of many jokes.  Homonym jokes to follow*:

If four couples went to a restaurant, how many people dined?
Eight ate.

Two ran the race, but only...
One won.

*- for the younger crowd according to sprout.

Joke for the not younger crowd:

A senior was driving on the interstate, when his cell phone rang.
When he answered, Herman heard his wife’s voice urgently warning him of the following,
“Herman, I was just watching the news and they said that there is a car going the wrong way on the interstate.  Please be careful!”
”Damn”,said Herman,
“It’s not just one car. It’s hundreds of them!”

FiveThirtyEight looks at the impact of the third debate. "The FiveThirtyEight/Ipsos poll, conducted using Ipsos’s KnowledgePanel, is interviewing the same group of voters twice to capture both the “before” and “after” picture of the debate."

Full article: Who Won The Third Democratic Debate?

Some excerpts:

"Warren was one of the better-liked candidates going into the debate, but her performance was still rated higher than we’d expect based on her favorability alone. The same was true of Booker, Buttigieg and (especially) O’Rourke. Interestingly, Klobuchar didn’t get a great debate rating, but it’s not bad considering her pre-debate favorability, which was pretty neutral. Biden (who’s very popular among Democrats) and Castro stand out for performing worse than expected given their pre-debate favorability."

"We asked likely Democratic primary voters how favorably they felt about each candidate both before and after the debate. As you can see, among the polling front-runners, Biden and Sanders’s favorability ratings remained relatively unchanged, while Warren’s net favorability jumped 7 points. In fact, only O’Rourke faired better than Warren; his net favorability rating jumped nearly 9 points. But not all candidates made a positive impression. Castro’s net favorability, for instance, dropped by nearly 7 points this time, after getting a big boost in the first debate."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.