Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Pope Francis preaches today:

"Now, while we are looking forward to a slow and arduous recovery from the pandemic, there is a danger that we will forget those who are left behind. The risk is that we may then be struck by an even worse virus, that of selfish indifference. A virus spread by the thought that life is better if it is better for me, and that everything will be fine if it is fine for me. It begins there and ends up selecting one person over another, discarding the poor, and sacrificing those left behind on the altar of progress. The present pandemic, however, reminds us that there are no differences or borders between those who suffer. We are all frail, all equal, all precious. May we be profoundly shaken by what is happening all around us: the time has come to eliminate inequalities, to heal the injustice that is undermining the health of the entire human family!"

joanne said:

For Orthodox Easter weekend, let’s be kind to each other please and not think of the evil out there.

I did my best but its hard to do when the Evil Right Here is posting yet another defense of a child molester.

Irredeemable and Deplorable.

Composer of “On Eagles Wings” has written a hymn for these times...

https://netny.tv/episodes/currents/on-eagles-wings-composer-father-mike-joncas-gives-the-world-new-hope-with-shelter-me/

Pray we can soon sing it together in Church!

At some point, Pope Francis will no longer be the Pope.  It's more likely that he'll take advantage of the precedent provided by Pope Emeritus Benedict, and retire instead of working until he dies.

The Cardinals eligible to vote for his successor will gather in the Sistine Chapel.  "In the room where it happens" will be this guy:

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - When the coronavirus lockdown left a group of transsexual street prostitutes in a beach town near Rome without work, they turned to a local Catholic priest for help to buy food.

But his parish’s resources were already stretched by the health crisis so the priest turned to the cardinal known as “the Pope’s Robin Hood” who runs the Vatican charities. He wired money to the parish for them.

“I don’t understand why this is getting so much attention,” Cardinal Konrad Krajewski told Reuters by phone on Thursday. “This is ordinary work for the Church, it’s normal. This is how the Church is a field hospital.”

Krajewski, whose formal title is “papal almoner,” or distributor of alms, said the transsexuals most likely were undocumented, making it difficult for them to seek help from Italian state welfare offices.
And it was not the first time the Polish cardinal has made the news with his sometimes unorthodox ways of distributing the pope’s charities.

Last year, he clambered down a manhole, broke a police seal, and re-connected electrical circuit breakers to restore electricity to hundreds of homeless people, many of them immigrants, living in an occupied building in Rome.

Although Krajewski ran afoul of then-Interior Minister Matteo Salvini and his anti-immigrant policies, an Italian newspaper dubbed him “The Pope’s Robin Hood”. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vatican-cardinal/vaticans-robin-hood-helps-feed-transsexual-prostitutes-hit-by-lockdown-idUKKBN22C1WT

I am praying that Pope Francis stays — the  world needs him now more than ever. His outreach has touched all religions, all nations, and he is a respected world leader.

The Catholic Register had this  hand-washing  suggestion....

“The Church’s tradition has prayers for everything. And likely a litany, too. Most relevant to the pandemic, there is a prayer for the washing of hands. Specifically, the prayer the priest says when washing his hands before vesting for Mass:

“Da, Domine, virtutem manibus meis ad abstergendam omnem maculam; ut sine pollutione mentis et corporis valeam tibi servire.

“In English: “Give virtue (strength) to my hands, O Lord, that being cleansed from all stain I might serve you with purity of mind and body.”

While “attending” Mass, virtually...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/sunday/weird-christians.html

Interesting — maybe contemporary will be replaced old-fashioned— who knows?

I do not normally participate in this discussion, being a non-Christian but I thought it an appropriate forum to post this:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/13/united-nations-hate-speech-guterres-254200

A new saint in the making...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/nyregion/father-mcgivney-sainthood-coronavirus.html

The appearance of the “coronavirus” word in the link proves there is nothing new under the sun.

mtierney said:

Timely message...

More timely message ...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/europe/pope-francis-george-floyd-intl/index.html

Rome (CNN)Pope Francis has called the death of George Floyd at the hands of US police officers "tragic" and said he is praying for him and "all those others who have lost their lives as a result of the sin of racism."

After an eighth night of protests across the United States, Francis addressed Floyd's death during his weekly Angelus prayer at the Vatican on Wednesday."Dear brothers and sisters in the United States, I have witnessed with great concern the disturbing social unrest in your nation in these past days, following the tragic death of Mr. George Floyd," Francis said. "My friends, we cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of every human life.

"At the same time, we have to recognize that the violence of recent nights is self-destructive and self-defeating. Nothing is gained by violence and so much is lost," he urged.CNN Senior Vatican Analyst John Allen said it is "relatively rare" for the Pope to mention a specific person by name. A Vatican spokesperson told CNN it was a "special appeal."

When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men.

(Matthew 6:5)

Ah, but Basil you forget.  He didn't go there to pray, seek guidance or wisdom or peace to ponder what he needs to do as a leader.  He went there to make a threat of military violence against a people that is crying out in agony for justice.

I really don’t want to see that photo in this thread. 

joanne said:

I really don’t want to see that photo in this thread. 

This is probably one of the most relevant pictures that could be posted in this thread. The man in this picture is supported by a majority of conservative catholics and evangelicals. Yet he is trampling on everything the bible and pope francis ever stood for. 

Whenever I feel angry or depressed, I seek out wisdom...

“When you think of the condition the world is in now you sometimes wish that Noah had missed the boat.”
    Fulton J. Sheen

“The evil in the world must not make me doubt the existence of God. There could be no evil if there were no God. Before there can be a hole in a uniform, there must be a uniform; before there is death, there must be life; before there is error, there must be truth; before there is a crime, there must be liberty and law; before there is a war, there must be peace; before there is a devil, there must be a God, rebellion against whom made the devil.”
    Fulton J. Sheen

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven." (Matthew 5:9-12)

Martin Gugino is a longtime Catholic advocate for peace and social justice. 

mtierney said:

Local parish forwarded this — new Catholic website...

https://churchpop.com/2020/06/04/mark-wahlbergs-brother-met-mother-teresa-in-prison-a-powerful-catholic-conversion-story/

Nothing about the grave injury inflicted on a peaceful Catholic social justice activist (either the physical one or the libel by Trump) anywhere in https://churchpop.com/.

I only came across this site today, but from what I have read, it has an inspirational, religious focus to only tell “Good News.“  I for one need all the good news I can get!

mtierney said:

I only came across this site today, but from what I have read, it has an inspirational, religious focus to only tell “Good News.“  I for one need all the good news I can get!

One look at the top of the first page of the website shows that saying that it merely "has an inspirational, religious focus to only tell 'Good News'." is not a true statement.  Example:

"Apb. Viganó Warns Pres. Trump of Spiritual Battle Waging Between Good and Evil in Open Letter"

For you non-Catholics, Vigano is a stridently anti-Pope Francis bishop who gets a lot of praise and attention from reactionaries and other right-wingers.

There is also an article speculating that when the Pope gave his special blessing on March 27th, COVID-19 cases and deaths started to decrease.  It ignores the fact that the country went into lockdown as of March 9th, or about two weeks before the decline in cases and deaths.

https://churchpop.com/2020/05/25/did-pope-francis-prayers-stop-the-worst-of-covid19-in-italy/

Stuff like this makes us Christians look a little loony.

And under their "About" tab you will find the following statement: 
    "ChurchPOP is a part of the EWTN network."

IMHO, EWTN is the Fox News of Catholic media. 

It has always been said that religion and politics should never be mixed, but the Bible continues to contain wisdom for our 21st century events...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/opinion/george-floyd-psalms-bible.html

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.