The Cassidy

deborahg said:

I'm all for a parking deck, but only if we build it in the lot next to village coffee so Author has a good view of it from his window. Funny how ugly, blocky new construction is suddenly okay if it's out of one's sight lines....

It should always be this easy.  Author is all in favor of building a parking deck next to Village Coffee

Of course that would mean tearing down the Clarus mistake

All Author and the rest  of the troublemakers and malcontents from Engage ever advocated was using the space to benefit the most citizens of Maplewood............come on now 5 more stores in a Village containing 70 already with the most expensive apartments in town  along with a sale price equal to one or two houses on Wyoming for the property with a large chunk of that paid by the town for sewer work needed for the building

I will start the assault on Clarus with my long dormant tennis ball assault.  Bring on the wrecking ball,

The extant parking lot is far too small to build a deck..........so the building most go

The dentists in town will miss the Starklutz

I think that this thread needs to be renamed to something about parking and then maybe we could have another thread about The Cassidy.

Spouse and I went last night and learned that if you want to eat in the main restaurant, it is best to have a reservation. Walk-ins were directed to the bar area and bar menu, which was fine, but just not what we had expected. We did take a look at the restaurant menu so we have an idea of what is offered there and will make a reservation next time.

ml1 said:

That would require rerouting the jitneys and bring more commuter traffic past the middle school during morning rush. It would be a poor response to a so far non-existent problem. Even on a Friday or Saturday night there are parking spaces. If there's a problem it's the people who think they're entitled to a parking spot within 50 yards of where they're going.

+1 never have an issue with parking, just walk a little people. Village is not that big. 

There are always spots available if you are willing and able to walk two or three blocks.

author said:

ml1 said:

Just tell them there are plenty of spaces now and it's not necessary that they park right in front of the place they're going. 

author said:

ml1 said:

at some point in the not too distant future, your self driving car will drop you off, and then park itself.  You will summon it when you need it and it will pick you up.

For those who are skeptical, if you visit the city of Pittsburgh, you will no doubt encounter self-driving Ubers that are navigating the city every day.  In 20 years, there is little doubt that self-driving vehicles will be part of our transportation mix.  If even 10% of trips are made by self-driving cars, our parking "crisis" disappears.
author said:

In 20 years where will the self parking vehicles self park?. 

Since I live in the Village,  everyday I see a few drivers circling the block looking   for a parking space. Next time I see one I will surely shout out " Don't worry, in 20 years there will be 10% more parking spaces.  Then I  shall seek shelter.

Given the fact that they were at that moment circling the block logic tells us that those"plenty of parking spaces" were no where to be found  But I still have my hidey holes should the need arise

author said:

All Author and the rest  of the troublemakers and malcontents from Engage ever advocated was using the space to benefit the most citizens of Maplewood............

jeebus, look out your freakin' window.  The lines forming outside The Cassidy make it clear that many, many Maplewoodians are already enjoying the new restaurant and bar.

I don't mind walking at all, as long as there is room in the venue when we get there.  And it looks like there will be.

Can we get to the important stuff? How's the food? Good cocktails?

MikeZ said:

Can we get to the important stuff? How's the food? Good cocktails?

All indications say it is a winner .............a real plus for the Village

prerak77 said:

+1 never have an issue with parking, just walk a little people. Village is not that big. 

I did, after 10 to 15 minutes of looking for a space, along with several other drivers competing for the same opening. It happens even to the most persistent of us.

yahooyahoo said:

There are always spots available if you are willing and able to walk two or three blocks.

And, every once in a while, if you’re willing to roam around for 10 to 15 minutes. (The happy convergence of my driving location and an opening eventually happened on Baker between Morrow and Toomey’s, allowing me to complete my errand to Kings.)

1. Is there a way to block posters so that I don't have read Author's off target comments, thereby shortening this thread by 75%?

2.  Very happy to see the new restaurants coming into town.  Can't wait to try them and wish them all well.

3. To say there is no parking issue simply isn't accurate.  Perhaps you don't have small kids ML1, but parking halfway up to Ridgewood Rd. isn't a great option when you have to trundle little kids in and out of the cars just to be able to grab a few things at Kings.  I would be all for the NJT lot across from Arturo's having another deck or two thrown on top of it.

I disagree that the Clarus is a mistake.    It replaced an eyesore.  the lot between village coffee is now attractive and will shortly have retail frontage instead of an ugly mustard brick wall.   the loading dock fronting Ricalton square has been replaced by nice sidewalks.    Remember the people who complained that Clarus was elitist, that only the 20 or so who could afford the apartments ( that no one would want) would benefit.  I wonder how many jobs were created by Starbucks and The Cassidy.  How many hundreds enjoy those two businesses daily ?   How many people drive through the new strip connecting the VC lot with Ricalton every day ???.   Then the same  #$%**   claimed that Maplewood could not/would not support another Starbucks or farm to table restaurant.  Now the complaint is not enough parking for the crowds patronizing those enterprises.    Remember the naysayers who claimed the rents were so high that no local businesses could afford them, then complained that the rents were artificially low.  Remember the liars who claimed that a building the size of Petsmart/Trader Joes was going to be built in the Village, that Ricalton Square would be destroyed, that every tree between the Post Office and the Train station would be cut down.  Remember their claims that the building would destroy Mapelwood Village.  Remember the misleading red balloons, and the the false claims that the building would be 60 ft high.   Then, when they didnt get their way, they tried to throw shade on everyone connected with the project, insinuating that people on the TC and Village Alliance were on the take and that special deals were made.   Then , in a last ditch effort to stop the project they begged all of Maplewood to flood the members of the Township Committee with emails and phone calls, and posted private emails and phone numbers - and no one emailed or called.      I dont need to block those posts.  I  take them for what they are ( and so does everyone else)  - total bull$%%%.  

DannyArcher said:

1. Perhaps you don't have small kids ML1, but parking halfway up to Ridgewood Rd. isn't a great option when you have to trundle little kids in and out of the cars just to be able to grab a few things at Kings.  I would be all for the NJT lot across from Arturo's having another deck or two thrown on top of it.

I used to have little kids.  It was the same then.  

It's just not physically possible to put lots of convenient parking spaces right next to businesses in the village.  Your solution still has parents shlepping toddlers from the 2nd or 3rd floor of a parking deck to a grocery store a couple of blocks away.  There's no way to avoid most people having to walk a distance to their destination after they park in the village.

There will be major restaurant carnage once Murphy raises the minimum wage to $15 per hour. Expect many empty stores.

This is a thread about the The Cassidy. If it pertains to the restaurant (not the building or parking), please post. If not, take it elsewhere!!

Wish the restaurant will put a menu up soon, now that they are up and running. Would love to get an idea of what they're serving up before I make a reservation.

unicorn_and_rainbows said:

There will be major restaurant carnage once Murphy raises the minimum wage to $15 per hour. Expect many empty stores.

because we don't have a bill to react to, forecasts of doom are premature. But if Seattle is any model, small business minimum wage increases won't phase in for many years.  I don't think Kings or the banks or Starbucks are going to go under if the minimum wage goes up. Aside from Starbucks, the other businesses likely don't even have many employees that will be affected by an increase.

mantram said:

This is a thread about the The Cassidy. If it pertains to the restaurant (not the building or parking), please post. If not, take it elsewhere!!

Wish the restaurant will put a menu up soon, now that they are up and running. Would love to get an idea of what they're serving up before I make a reservation.

Hours, too. Any chance they’re open for lunch?

Heard they haven't set an opening date for lunch yet, but it should be within the next few weeks. Agree it would be great to see a menu, but until then I would assume it wouldn't depart that much from the owners' other place, Gladstone Tavern. For those who have already been to the Cassidy, would that be a wrong assumption?

http://www.gladstonetavern.com/menus/#menu-old3

sarahzm said:

I disagree that the Clarus is a mistake.    It replaced an eyesore.  the lot between village coffee is now attractive and will shortly have retail frontage instead of an ugly mustard brick wall.   the loading dock fronting Ricalton square has been replaced by nice sidewalks.    Remember the people who complained that Clarus was elitist, that only the 20 or so who could afford the apartments ( that no one would want) would benefit.  I wonder how many jobs were created by Starbucks and The Cassidy.  How many hundreds enjoy those two businesses daily ?   How many people drive through the new strip connecting the VC lot with Ricalton every day ???.   Then the same  #$%**   claimed that Maplewood could not/would not support another Starbucks or farm to table restaurant.  Now the complaint is not enough parking for the crowds patronizing those enterprises.    Remember the naysayers who claimed the rents were so high that no local businesses could afford them, then complained that the rents were artificially low.  Remember the liars who claimed that a building the size of Petsmart/Trader Joes was going to be built in the Village, that Ricalton Square would be destroyed, that every tree between the Post Office and the Train station would be cut down.  Remember their claims that the building would destroy Mapelwood Village.  Remember the misleading red balloons, and the the false claims that the building would be 60 ft high.   Then, when they didnt get their way, they tried to throw shade on everyone connected with the project, insinuating that people on the TC and Village Alliance were on the take and that special deals were made.   Then , in a last ditch effort to stop the project they begged all of Maplewood to flood the members of the Township Committee with emails and phone calls, and posted private emails and phone numbers - and no one emailed or called.      I dont need to block those posts.  I  take them for what they are ( and so does everyone else)  - total bull$%%%.  

Ah Sarah........my heartached with anticipation for the day when you wold return to MOL to grace us with your wisdom

Now.......let's skip around a bit.  I don't recall anyone raising the scare that the C-section building would

be 60 feet tall.  I do remember the builder initially agreeing to the town specs.......and then trying to sneak in a fourth floor because it would not be cost effective to build and run same other wise.  After a hue and cry from the townspeople and I would imagine a talking to by Vic........his three stories suddenly was cost efficient

The parking lot adjacent to Village Coffee has not changed.....only a little smaller.  How is there going to        be a retail frontage.

As to the claim that no local business could afford the rent........none moved in that I know of  Of course Starcrap and the Bank..are omnipresent and deep pockets and could go anywhere but are barely local.

The builders claim of providing  valued stores.......nonsense but I will give him one for Cassidy

Now remember according to local merchants who checked it out......the builder offered below market rentals to draw in tenants............leases expire.   Also he was given a Pilot which will expire.  As he pays

a higher amount in taxes he will be charging higher rentals to his tenants

I hope I am wrong but I don't think the Village or town can support Coda,  the new Highland Place and Cassidy

Sarah........good to see you back but delete some of those expletives.  Perche' no

Apparently not

DannyArcher said:

Is there a way to block posters so that I don't have read Author's off target comments, thereby shortening this thread by 75%?

If the menu is close to what they serve at the Gladstone Tavern, I'm very excited! 

apple44 said:

Heard they haven't set an opening date for lunch yet, but it should be within the next few weeks. Agree it would be great to see a menu, but until then I would assume it wouldn't depart that much from the owners' other place, Gladstone Tavern. For those who have already been to the Cassidy, would that be a wrong assumption?

anything Clarus related - author will hijack and troll the thread - maybe we should change the title to Clarus, Cassidy and parking - then start a "Cassidy only" thread that I can monitor better.

Good luck with that. grin In meantime, here's a dessert pic which they posted

apple44 said:

Apparently not
DannyArcher said:

Is there a way to block posters so that I don't have read Author's off target comments, thereby shortening this thread by 75%?

Send lots of money to Author and he will spend more time enjoying retirement in a warm place preferably removed from the internet

author said:

.... What is a parking kiosk?

They are designed to discourage shopping in the affected municipalities. They are found on sidewalks and perimeters of parking lots. You find a parking space, look for the robot-looking thing sticking out at the edge of the parking lot. Then you put money in. After that, you go back to your car because you forgot your license plate. Then the think doesn't accept your money. Then you finally get a receipt.

A time later, you go back to your car to find a parking ticket for $45.00

After that, you don't go back to that town again. You stay in Maplewood.

The idea that the town can not support more restaurants is specious at best. It's impossible to get in without waiting at Arturo's or Lorena's -- which are both great -- most nights. The Gate and Coda -- which are, in my estimation, pretty good and not so good, respectively -- are generally full, too, because of their liquor licenses. Abril Cocina seems to do fine in spite of not having a liquor license. People will come if the new restaurants are good, especially if they have liquor licenses.

For use that asked... bar menu:

Is the draft beer ready yet? It wasn't available the first weekend.

ctrzaska said:

For use that asked... bar menu:

jamie said:

anything Clarus related - author will hijack and troll the thread - maybe we should change the title to Clarus, Cassidy and parking - then start a "Cassidy only" thread that I can monitor better.

Have a sub-category called "Agita" for those who want to attempt to cause it in others.

I have a reservation for Tuesday.  I don't think it's fair to review a place this early after one visit.  But I will report on what menu offerings are available, drinks, decor, etc.

apple44 said:

I hope you're wrong, but you're probably correct. A bit disappointing IMO. At least they have a bar.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.