Political Activism - Please share any groups or events that we can support.

For those who care about animals in shelters this allows the quick death of pets in our state under the new bill sponsored by Sen. Sweeney and Sen. Cruz Perez.. And for those in SO, we have not seen a mission statement from the Livingston shelter which we are using. It is a garage with no isolation room and according to the State Dept. of Health is not a legitimate shelter. The bill below though is a horrific addition to the lack of protection that pets in this state endure.

###a href="https://www.facebook.com/NJ-Animal-Observer-615854605129237/?ref=nf"###
###/a###

-Animal-Observer-615854605129237/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf">NJ Animal Observer

-Animal-Observer-615854605129237/#"> · a.645739752140722.1073741828.615854605129237/1240970829284275/?type=3">February 14 at 12:00pm · -Animal-Observer-615854605129237/#">

URGENT ACTION NEEDED - THOUSANDS OF PETS LIVES AT RISK!!!
New Jersey State Senators Sweeney and Cruz-Perez sponsored a quick kill bill that overturns the owner surrender 7 day protection period. Under current state law, shelters cannot kill owner surrendered animals for 7 days. This new bill allows shelters to kill owner surrendered animals for the following reasons:
1) Age - whether young or old
... 2) Health without any definition of what that means
3) Behavior
4) Undefined "intractable" illnesses that could affect the "welfare" of other animals
In other words, this bill allows shelters to kill owner surrendered animals for any reason again. After the state enacted the owner surrender protection period, the state's combined dog and cat kill rate decreased from 35% in 2011 to 21% in 2015 and the state's shelters killed 14,000 fewer dogs and cats annually.
To make matters worse, the bill also allows shelters to kill stray pets if they have illnesses like upper respiratory infections that could affect the "welfare" of other animals.
Please contact your local State Senator and the following State Senators and demand they vote against S2846 and S2847:
Senator Lesniak: (908) 624-0880; (908) 327-9119; Senlesniak@njleg.org
Senator Cruz-Perez: (856)-541-1251; (856) 547-4800; (856) 853-2960
Senator Sweeney: (856) 251-9801; (856) 339-0808
All State Senator Contact Information: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/abcroster.asp
Proposed Bill: -2016-S2847-Amended.html"> https://www.legiscan.com/…/New_Jersey-2016-S2847-Amended.ht…
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S3000/2846_I1.HTM

Interesting statement in Milan during fashion week. Missoni will be donating to the ACLU and the U.N. Refugee Agency. For a company known for it's knitwear, the hats are a perfect expression of support for women's rights.

http://www.glamour.com/story/missoni-pussyhats?mbid=social_facebook_referral

I'm writing to my congressman two or three times a week now. I'm also publishing some of my letters on twitter, my blog, and facebook.

Me, too! The bull was installed as temporary (and, without permission) and was so popular it is now a permanent fixture and tourist attraction.

Tom_Reingold said:

Fearless girl faces off with the Wall Street Bull

I hope this girl stays there permanently.

I don't get it. The bull is a symbol of a rising financial market. This placement seems to say something like women will stand firm against rising markets.

Red_Barchetta said:

I don't get it. The bull is a symbol of a rising financial market. This placement seems to say something like women will stand firm against rising markets.

It used to be said that a rising tide lifts all boats. Now that the 1% have moored the dinghies with short lines, the tide lifts all yachts and sinks the dinghies. Rising markets are not always my friend.

Tom_Reingold said:

Red_Barchetta said:

It used to be said that a rising tide lifts all boats. Now that the 1% have moored the dinghies with short lines, the tide lifts all yachts and sinks the dinghies. Rising markets are not always my friend.

#cluelessliberal

If you're heavily invested in bonds, a rising market is generally not your friend.

mapso_dino said:

Tom_Reingold said:

Red_Barchetta said:

#cluelessliberal

Aren't you clever, putting a label on me without arguing what I'm saying. The economy has grown since the recession, and the increased wealth has gone completely to the upper strata. Some lower strata have less wealth now than before the recession. These are observed facts; I'm not making them up.

I understand economics. I know the theory, and I observe that the practice isn't following the old theories any more. What are you observing?

Just saw this on Facebook.

West Orange Vigil

Public · Hosted by Cindy Matute Brown

• clock Today at 6:30 PM - 9 PM Starts in about 8 hours
  • Community House 242 Main Street West Orange, NJ to Town Hall 66 Main Street West Orange

Details Essex Rising is calling on our community to join together in candlelight and prayer, in a vigil of solidarity with Charlottesville and against the hatred of the white supremacist terror attacks. We want to honor the survivors and Heather Heyer, whose life was taken in the name of hate. Let us stand together in unity, solidarity and in action, to ensure the future safety of all of our communities. We wil meet at the Community House 242 Main Street, West Orange and march to Town Hall 66 Main Street, West Orange, where we will gather in prayer and action. Please bring candles.

Its been awhile since I posted on this thread and it is amazing that it is for another vigil.

Students of Seton Hall, led by SGA, MLKSA, Seton Hall College Democrats and other student organizations invite you to a Candlelight Vigil to remember the victims of the shooting Please join us on the University Green at 5:15 p.m. on Wednesday, February 21st, for prayer, reflection and to mourn those who were lost.

Student Walkout. The Nationwide Protest Against the Inaction on Guns.

Now, if all voters who are either students or support the students vote for gun control politicians, something good might happen.

tjohn said:

Now, if all voters who are either students or support the students vote for gun control politicians, something good might happen.

I'd like to see another Sit In, in congress, like the one led by John Lewis last year, accompanied by a powerful bill with the "Give Us A Vote" chant. Love to see it timed with the March 24 protest. If they don't go for the assault weapon ban now, they will have wasted a lot of good media coverage. Hard to say "fake news" to the faces of teens all over the country.

I saw a comment today that said, "Politicians care about two things:  What you can do for them and what you can do to them."  They listen to voters.

Morganna said:

tjohn said:

I'd like to see another Sit In, in congress, like the one led by John Lewis last year, accompanied by a powerful bill with the "Give Us A Vote" chant. Love to see it timed with the March 24 protest. If they don't go for the assault weapon ban now, they will have wasted a lot of good media coverage. Hard to say "fake news" to the faces of teens all over the country.

Copying from another thread suggestions for opportunities to help with the refugee crisis.

https://firstfriendsnjny.org/

https://www.njimmigrantjustice.org/

One World One Love on FB

Just got this email sorry it is so late. Perhaps there will be follow up.

Dear New Jersey MoveOn member,

Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's testimony today took our breath away. She was unwavering, compelling, courageous, and powerful—over hours in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And yet, the Republicans are still pushing to confirm Brett Kavanaugh—with a committee vote scheduled for tomorrow morning!

Dr. Blasey Ford has done everything in her power. Now it is up to us—and we have to move fast! Can you show up at noon on Friday at the closest office of one of your senators? Across the country, outside Republican and Democratic offices, people are gathering—and together, we will say, "I believe Dr. Blasey Ford! The Senate must reject Brett Kavanaugh!"

Click here to find the Senate office nearest to you. (If there is no nearby office or if you can't make it in person, take a photo of yourself with a protest sign and post it on social media with hashtags #BelieveSurvivors and #StopKavanaugh.) You can also click here to join the national Facebook page for these actions. 

Wear black, and bring signs (you can download some here), with messages such as "Believe Survivors" and "Stop Kavanaugh"—as well as, if you wish, handwritten letters, and pictures or photos of the people you're fighting for. When you arrive, look for other protesters so you can stand together. These are rapid-response gatherings, without much time to prepare—so they'll be scrappy, and that's OK. You should gather together to take photos of all of you standing with your signs and post them on social media with hashtags such as #StopKavanaugh and #BelieveSurvivors. Then go into the office to deliver the message to your senators that they have a responsibility to believe survivors, block this frenzied and offensive process, and stop Kavanaugh!

We're working with allies including Indivisible, Planned Parenthood, NARAL, the National Women's Law Center, UltraViolet, CREDO, and MomsRising, and many more, to help build these gatherings on short notice—and we know that MoveOn members, friends, family, and neighbors will show up in communities around the country. Because we all experienced outrage watching the older white men of the Republican Party dismiss Dr. Blasey Ford and push ahead with their relentless and brazen power grab.

Today, as the hearing took place, we made tens of thousands of calls declaring that we believe Dr. Blasey Ford. Tomorrow, let's show up in person. By drawing needed local media attention, delivering a message to local Senate staff, and showing a groundswell of support for Dr. Blasey Ford and opposition to Kavanaugh, we can create the pressure to stop this confirmation—and show there will be dramatic consequences for senators who fail to stand with survivors and constituents.

Join at noon local time. Come to your nearest Senate office or participate virtually. Bring a sign, a friend, and your voice!

Senate Hotline

202=224-3121

STOP KAVANAUGH RALLIES IN DC AND NYC ON THURSDAY

Big rally in Washington to Stop Kavanaugh. Buses leave Thursday morning from West Orange, Newark and other locations. For info and to reserve a space go to https://www.njbelievessurvivors.org.

If you can’t make it to Washington there’ll be a rally in front of Trump Tower starting at 6 PM.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.