Movie Talk

Guess I got my answer.  No worries.  

TheJmon said:

It's a movie, but are we going to talk about the Snyders Cut of Justice League?  If you had tomatoes and could, would you be throwing them at me right now? Part of me is curious to watch, another part of me is willing to wait months before I even attempt.  The original was such a hot mess, I wonder if I can take another two hours added on of brooding actors in costumes.  

I used to like the superhero movie, but I've gotten so tired of them in recent years I don't even bother with them anymore. There's just too many of them.

I'm going to agree with you on this, and keep my musings about this new hot mess off of MOL.  I did read an interesting article just now about how it speaks to a directors art and vision, and what it says about clout in the industry as well.  This was something of an anomaly in that no one but fans really wanted this release.  I'm with you on the whole superhero movie thing, by the way, but if it's done well it's done well and  I am sucked in.  

Steering back to the original theme of this post, I also read an article interviewing movie theatre moguls about how the whole movie theater industry will change in the upcoming months.  I can't see going to our local AMC theater anytime soon, but then again.....JAMES BOND.  

Iron Jawed Angels. Showing on HBO. One of my favorite suffrage movies so for Women's History Month give it a look. Cool Mary J Blige song in the background of this clip.

Is that Dr. McDreamy I see walking in the crowd? 

I've been trying to catch up on the Best Documentaries this year.  I saw all but Collective.

Here's how I would rank the 4 I saw from best to least best:

#1 - My Octopus Teacher

#2 - Time

#3 - Crip Camp

#4 - The Mole Agent

jamie said:

I've been trying to catch up on the Best Documentaries this year.  I saw all but Collective.

Here's how I would rank the 4 I saw from best to least best:

#1 - My Octopus Teacher

#2 - Time

#3 - Crip Camp

#4 - The Mole Agent

I saw #2 and #3 but haven't heard of the others. You recommend them, Jamie? Are they available on the regular platforms? 

There's a documentary I'm dying to see called "Summer of Soul" directed by Questlove about the legendary 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival which celebrated African American music and culture, and promoted Black pride and unity. Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, War, BB King, Abbey Lincoln, Fifth Dimension, Mavis Staples, Sly & The Family Stone, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Chambers Brother, Ray Baretto and more. 

I think it's opening only in theaters. Not sure when. 

Crip Camp blew me away.

Yes - I would recommend them all.  

My Octopus is on Netflix

The Mole Agent is on Hulu.

I loved the premise of The Mole Agent - the initial direction and set up felt like the movie would go in one direction.  But overall it was a intimate look inside the residents of a nursing home.

It is tricky to rank them - they all told a different compelling story.  

With Crip Camp - seeing the people and the story behind the ADA was great.  This might not be on here for long - but the whole movie is on youtube at the moment:

The great part about Time was Fox Rich - what a great storyteller and how they pieced together the footage was fantastic:

TheJmon said:

Is that Dr. McDreamy I see walking in the crowd? 

Yes!

I've had the film on in the background twice today. He's an interesting character in the film. 

Put Alice Paul's face on a bill.

I'm still watching Crip Camp and it's making me cry, but tears of joy of course.  That Quest Love doc sound very intriguing.  Didn't he do something on the birth of Hip Hop a while back?  Which of that list are streaming, and where? 

jamie said:

Yes - I would recommend them all.  

My Octopus is on Netflix

The Mole Agent is on Hulu.

I loved the premise of The Mole Agent - the initial direction and set up felt like the movie would go in one direction.  But overall it was a intimate look inside the residents of a nursing home.

It is tricky to rank them - they all told a different compelling story.  

With Crip Camp - seeing the people and the story behind the ADA was great.  This might not be on here for long - but the whole movie is on youtube at the moment:

The great part about Time was Fox Rich - what a great storyteller and how they pieced together the footage was fantastic:

Loved My Octopus Teacher!

Watched Octopus Teacher last night on Jamie’s reco.   It was lovely. Definitely a calming and eye-opening change of pace. Thanks. 

Watched a Chris Rock comedy called Top 5.  Never heard of it before. Found it on a recommended list.  Definitely worthy and on the smartish side though definitely not for children.  Solid supporting cast and cameos from a number of funny people, including Kevin Hart, Cedric the Entertainer, Tracy Morgan, Seinfeld, Adam Sandler, Leslie Jones, and others.

A Girl From Mogadishu. Powerful.

Since this thread is Movie Talk, I'm gonna complain for a second about a movie I wanted to watch and not 'pay for' on Saturday - Why can't I find The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston on Cable or any of the Streaming services I have for free? I only found some bogus reboot on my cable system that is on a channel I'm not even sure I have, or I can rent from Amazon Prime for $2.99.  Nope, not gonna do it. 

TheJmon said:

Since this thread is Movie Talk, I'm gonna complain for a second about a movie I wanted to watch and not 'pay for' on Saturday - Why can't I find The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston on Cable or any of the Streaming services I have for free? I only found some bogus reboot on my cable system that is on a channel I'm not even sure I have, or I can rent from Amazon Prime for $2.99.  Nope, not gonna do it. 

This seems pretty common to me.   Older movies often come with a charge.   

TheJmon said:

Because DirectTV has it right now. 

It's an interesting topic in itself, I think - What is chosen to stream for 'free' and what is deemed something that people will pay additional money for.  Also, in a deeper way, what won't people pay to watch at home for and stream.  The whole movie at home thing has been turned on it's head by this pandemic, sort of like most things since it began last march.  Don't get me wrong, we have paid for many movies this past year and last, as we do a rotating Movie Night here every Saturday night.  Everyone gets a turn to pick a movie, and the rest of the family has to watch.  Many of the movies my wife and I have chosen were not on the streaming services we have, so we rented.  This is just one of those movies that used to be on regular TV like clockwork during the Easter/Passover time.  Because Passover falls out so early this year, I guess they don't really care much.  It's sort of like how March of The Wooden Soldiers used to play every year during Thanksgiving.  We can do A Charlie Browns Christmas and The Grinch, but why bother with The Ten Commandments during Passover, right? 

TheJmon said:

Guess I got my answer.  No worries.  

I decided to spend half a shift watching it. 

Antagonist, a generic doomsday villain, surrounded by vague and dark minions, comes to our world to retrieve three magical items in order to gain ultimate power and destroy all humanity. In the first quarter of the film, we even actually see some humans worth saving, so that's a plus.

Anyhoo, Protagonist embarks on a quest and along the way picks up a rag-tag party which includes an immortal demi-god Prince and Princess, an Alien, a Transformer, and whatever the heck The Flash is. Not all of them join the quest party willingly, but they are eventually won over by the seriousness of the threat.

They hatch a plan to attack Antagonist and his dark minions in his hidden fortress and stop the three magical items merging to become one big magical item. Will they succeed? Skip forward to around the 3hr and 30 mark to find out. Then when you get to 3 hours and 45 minutes, just stop there. 

ridski said:

I decided to spend half a shift watching it. 

Antagonist, a generic doomsday villain, surrounded by vague and dark minions, comes to our world to retrieve three magical items in order to gain ultimate power and destroy all humanity. In the first quarter of the film, we even actually see some humans worth saving, so that's a plus.

Anyhoo, Protagonist embarks on a quest and along the way picks up a rag-tag party which includes an immortal demi-god Prince and Princess, an Alien, a Transformer, and whatever the heck The Flash is. Not all of them join the quest party willingly, but they are eventually won over by the seriousness of the threat.

They hatch a plan to attack Antagonist and his dark minions in his hidden fortress and stop the three magical items merging to become one big magical item. Will they succeed? Skip forward to around the 3hr and 30 mark to find out. Then when you get to 3 hours and 45 minutes, just stop there. 

Funny, I wasn't even going to bring this up on this thread - but you are funny.  I think I get you now.  

I read a good article about Rag Tag Party: The Snyders Cut yesterday in my local newspaper.  It summed it up and almost had me go watch it yesterday, but I can't seem to want to invest the four hours to see if she was right.  Ended up watching Beverly Hills Cop II, of all things (that's also on HBO Max).  I will save RTP for the moment.  Thanks for making me laugh.  

TheJmon said:

It should pop up soon. I'll post if I see it. 

Wait, are we talking good movie scripts here too? Also, wasn't this one done already, and then they made a TV series?  I must confess I didn't read through the whole article, so maybe I'm missing something here. 

TheJmon said:

Wait, are we talking good movie scripts here too? Also, wasn't this one done already, and then they made a TV series?  I must confess I didn't read through the whole article, so maybe I'm missing something here. 

Nah, I just couldn't help the "blazing saddles" reference. Didn't read much of the story beyond the first few paragraphs, and I wish the new sherriff luck, I was just struck by how on-the-nose reality can sometimes be in its allusions to fiction. Sometimes the fourth wall breaks in reverse.

PVW said:

Nah, I just couldn't help the "blazing saddles" reference. Didn't read much of the story beyond the first few paragraphs, and I wish the new sherriff luck, I was just struck by how on-the-nose reality can sometimes be in its allusions to fiction. Sometimes the fourth wall breaks in reverse.

Ah, love it! You must be in entertainment, nobody talks about the fourth wall unless they have had some experience with it.  I was thinking more In The Heat of The Night, actually, but that works too.  If I can riff off of your comment for a second, no one does 'breaking the 4th wall' better than Ryan Reynolds these days. I read that article and thought it was already being made into a movie or a documentary, as of what a milestone they are making it to be.  

TheJmon said:

Funny, I wasn't even going to bring this up on this thread - but you are funny.  I think I get you now.  

I read a good article about Rag Tag Party: The Snyders Cut yesterday in my local newspaper.  It summed it up and almost had me go watch it yesterday, but I can't seem to want to invest the four hours to see if she was right.  Ended up watching Beverly Hills Cop II, of all things (that's also on HBO Max).  I will save RTP for the moment.  Thanks for making me laugh.  

I appreciate the compliment, but it's just my opinion. It kind of reminded me of a few Dungeons and Dragons adventures, or Krull or any number of cheesy 80s fantasy movies. If you have the urge to watch it, it's actually broken up into 6 (?) chapters, so you can watch the first couple then take a break. I still advise skipping the epilogue, though.

ridski said:

I appreciate the compliment, but it's just my opinion. It kind of reminded me of a few Dungeons and Dragons adventures, or Krull or any number of cheesy 80s fantasy movies. If you have the urge to watch it, it's actually broken up into 6 (?) chapters, so you can watch the first couple then take a break. I still advise skipping the epilogue, though.

Nah, I'm thoroughly convinced that DC just doesn't get what a rich and ready made narrative they have without tweaking and updating the characters to be more 'relatable'.  If you appreciate a good Justice League story, there is one run of that comic by Kieth Giffen that is in a compilation graphic novel that is well worth reading if you can appreciate the characters.  It may even given you some insight into how good these characters could have actually been without messing with the icons.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401217397?pf_rd_r=SS7ED7RBN1Y9RKYMYB41&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=1ee039e4-50e9-4b99-85d6-a8db402a2805&pd_rd_w=RizNP&pd_rd_wg=D0bBM&ref_=pd_gw_unk

For me? I've never been into Snyders 'vision', even outside of these superhero movies.  He does have a fan base, and they are banking on many eyeballs on this.  Sad part for the fans? The money behind Rag Tag Party has no intention of building on what they spiced and added to on that film.  In a world without COVID this film would never have seen the light of day, because no one would pay to see the 'improvements' five years later on any movie (read Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now.....Heavens Gate - hee hee, sorry, had to put that last one in there for a good laugh).  

True in most cases. I paid to see Blade Runner Director's Cut when it came out because I love that movie and I have never seen it on a big screen before. Totally blown away.

I watched Apocalypse Now Redux as a fan, but most of the additional scenes were unnecessary, after all. Particularly the detour to the French colonial house. I general, I'm usually a fan of the extended cut or special edition, though. Aliens: SE is great (adds depth without losing tension), Close Encounters of the Third Kind: SE had some great stuff right up to the end where we go into the Mothership with Roy (I preferred to have that in my imagination.) I find it weird watching the Lord of the Rings theatrical cuts, as I'm so used to the Extended versions, and The Abyss theatrical version barely makes sense as a film, so I'm really glad they were able to put out the director's cut of that.

Going back to Snyder's JL, though. Does anyone know if the latest version of Final Cut Pro has a template with dummy text in it like this?

EXT. - CITY - DAY

A mysterious column of blue/red/orange energy/light descends from the sky, bringing death and destruction/vaguely-rendered CGI minions/death, destruction AND  vaguely-rendered CGI minions in its path.

THE END

Because it seems like Hollywood cuts out the options they don't want from that and write their scripts around it.

https://www.listchallenges.com/every-movie-with-a-giant-sky-beams

See? I knew I got you.  I actually agree with the Apocalypse versions, as that Redux was a real head scratcher.  That being said, did we really 'need' a Snyders Cut of JL? Nope.  It's pure ego and corporate indulgence to the max.  I will even reach here to tell you it's the same with Marvel and the many companies that have owned the property through the decades since Stan Lee created.  Should I list all the horrible Marvel TV shows and movies that came before they figured out how to do it right?  What about the ones that they are still making?  I'm a sucker for the good ones, but there is so much of that cannon that they miss the mark on, where the source material could just drive the films so much better.  It's this need to be 'original' and reinvent that gets WB in trouble every time.  Had they made JL more like that Shazam movie, they might have been on to something.  Try to find this graphic novel I posted for the JL - it's witty, funny, and very human.  That would have made a good movie.  

The other part of this? You can't put someone like Snyder in the same room as Coppola, Cameron, Spielberg or even Jackson.  They don't drink from the same punch bowl.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.