Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

FilmCarp said:

That's not my point.  I'm not talking about pitching through pain.  I'm talking about coming back and pitching a little easier to keep from getting hurt.  I'll take above average every 5 days over excellent once per month.

I don’t think it works that way.

So often that radio voices don’t seem to match their “voicers” image if you haven’t seen them before.

Wayne Randazzo, for example.

jimmurphy said:

So often that radio voices don’t seem to match their “voicers” image if you haven’t seen them before.

Wayne Randazzo, for example.

the morning FAN guys poke fun at Randazzo for sounding old-timey. Like a newsreel narrator. 

They have a point. 

Hager, Lee, and Fargas. 
Just how Sandy drew it up

Edited to add fingers crossed, since the emoji wouldn’t post. 

ml1 said:

the morning FAN guys poke fun at Randazzo for sounding old-timey. Like a newsreel narrator. 

They have a point. 

Gio does a nice impression. Good one of the Yankee promo guy too.

Sixteen players on the IL 

vampire

Currently these are the IF and OF on the active roster. I'm glad the team has stolen a few tough wins this week. Because winning with these guys is not sustainable over an extended period of time. 

The only good news I can take from this is that the Mets are in the midst of 17 games without a day off, including a west coast trip. And the first game in Arizona is the next day after an ESPN Sunday night game at home (it's insane  that the league allows this). But when the Mets' regulars come off the IL, in theory they should be well-rested reinforcements. 

What the hell is wrong with this team?  Playing 17 games in a row, lacking healthy starters, and Luchessi looks as good as he ever has.  4 innings, one hit, less than 50 pitches and they pull him.  He doesn't even look tired.

And the first relief pitcher has already matched his hit total.

FilmCarp said:

What the hell is wrong with this team?  Playing 17 games in a row, lacking healthy starters, and Luchessi looks as good as he ever has.  4 innings, one hit, less than 50 pitches and they pull him.  He doesn't even look tired.

No explanation other than trying to build his confidence with a good outing?

Un-effing-believable catch by Fargas in CF in the ninth!

jimmurphy said:

No explanation other than trying to build his confidence with a good outing?

Un-effing-believable catch by Fargas in CF in the ninth!

I am officially designating this period of Mets history Johneshwy Fargas era.

FilmCarp said:

I don't feel confident with Lucchesi going a 3rd time through a lineup. So I don't have an issue with pulling him. 

Until all the regulars get back there are going to be days like this. Some of the guys they're running out there aren't even decent AAA hitters. 

We may have witnessed the end of the Johneshwy Fargas era this evening.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

ml1 said:

I don't feel confident with Lucchesi going a 3rd time through a lineup. So I don't have an issue with pulling him. 

Until all the regulars get back there are going to be days like this. Some of the guys they're running out there aren't even decent AAA hitters. 

I hope they can keep their heads above water and their record around .500 until the regulars are back. 

The Athletic mentioned 7 players they might try to go for - Escobar on ARI, Adam Frazier on PIT, Goodrum on DET, Brian Anderson on MIA, Brock Holt, Dee Strange-Gordon and Jay Bruce. The first 4 would be better than the injured players they're replacing. Dee Strange-Gordon seems like a good move. He's a free agent and has to be a better option than at least Maybin. 

Gotta give Rojas and mostly McCann credit for getting another major league bat in the lineup the last couple of nights.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

jfinnegan said:

The Athletic mentioned 7 players they might try to go for - Escobar on ARI, Adam Frazier on PIT, Goodrum on DET, Brian Anderson on MIA, Brock Holt, Dee Strange-Gordon and Jay Bruce. The first 4 would be better than the injured players they're replacing. Dee Strange-Gordon seems like a good move. He's a free agent and has to be a better option than at least Maybin. 

has there been any news on when Almora Jr. is expected back?

ml1 said:

the last I had heard was he hasn't been able to swing a bat. I like the deal for McKinney from Milwaukee. I think they should go for Dee Strange-Gordon. Maybin looks lost at the plate. It seems like a lot of guys are guessing on pitches these days, because I have never seen fastballs down the middle taken for a called third strike so often.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

the last I had heard was he hasn't been able to swing a bat. I like the deal for McKinney from Milwaukee. I think they should go for Dee Strange-Gordon. Maybin looks lost at the plate. It seems like a lot of guys are guessing on pitches these days, because I have never seen fastballs down the middle taken for a called third strike so often.

Maybin declined really quickly.  It was only 2019 when he had a good season for the Yanks.  But he didn't hit much last year, and was dreadful at AAA this year, and completely lost at the big league level.  

I really feel bad for guys struggling like that, even aside from them being Mets.  It's excruciating as a fan to watch a guy come up and go hitless in his first 20+ ABs.

I liked the Maybin move when they made it. I figured he could play solid defense and hit around .250. You would figure he would leg out an infield hit or have something drop in. I haven't seen all of his at bats, but from what I have seen he hasn't made solid contact once. These injuries are out of control. I can't recall ever having two centerfielders get hurt running into the wall within two weeks of each other. 

jfinnegan said:

I liked the Maybin move when they made it. I figured he could play solid defense and hit around .250. You would figure he would leg out an infield hit or have something drop in. I haven't seen all of his at bats, but from what I have seen he hasn't made solid contact once. These injuries are out of control. I can't recall ever having two centerfielders get hurt running into the wall within two weeks of each other. 

I haven't seen many of his ABs either, but the ones I have watched have not been good.  He's looking overmatched.

The one year that the Mets stock the bench with proven professional backups like Pillar, Almora, etc. and even they're being injured.  And  it's not like anyone can blame the training staff for half of these injuries -- Davis, Nimmo, Lugo, Pillar, Almora, Fargas, Alonso -- those are not things that could have been prevented by different workout regimens.  

None of those injuries could have been prevented. McNeil's is probably the only one where they should have rested him longer. Syndergaard being shutdown after an inning worries me. And Carrasco's return date seems to keep getting pushed back. 

And Dom got hurt colliding with the catcher on Nido's HR. I think he'll be ok. At least nobody's getting hurt tonight. 

Syndergaard shut down for six weeks. Are there any free agent pitchers out there? Did R.A. officially retire?

jfinnegan said:

Syndergaard shut down for six weeks. Are there any free agent pitchers out there? Did R.A. officially retire?

Good news on Walker. He may come off the IL as soon as he's eligible.  

Can he play center field?  Can anyone?  If maybin is going to be 0-27 at the plate he needs to make the plays.  

FilmCarp said:

Can he play center field?  Can anyone?  If maybin is going to be 0-27 at the plate he needs to make the plays.  

Yeah, that was bad in CF. He got robbed of 2 hits today. They'll come...

The Mets haven't had a game like this in a while.  It's fun.

Five games over .500, with a 3.5 game lead sure feels pretty good. Especially when you're still waiting for a couple of big names to come off the injured list.

I don't know how they are doing it but I will take it.   

Is is me or does it seem like the quality of baseball across MLB is really pretty lousy?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!