Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

It's hard to blame a guy who comes in cold down 2-1 in the count.  I put more blame on the guys who got him there.  But maybe just maybe he should have thrown a strike.

Diaz seems to be doing ok when he starts off an inning, but he has problems coming in with runners on. I don't know why Rojas keeps putting him in that position.  I thought deGrom should have pitched one of the games of the doubleheader as well, but since they scored no runs in either game I guess it was the right move.

Am I understanding this correctly? Van Wagenen is saying it wasn’t Manfred who “doesn’t get it” — it was really Jeff Wilpon?

DaveSchmidt said:

Am I understanding this correctly? Van Wagenen is saying it wasn’t Manfred who “doesn’t get it” — it was really Jeff Wilpon?

inadvertent truth-telling. 

I don't think either one of them get it, but Jeff really doesn't get it. He reminds me of the spoiled guy from Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure.

Whatever else happens this season yesterday was good.

The contrast between Smith and Alonso is getting awkward.  There was a time when Smith was the heir apparent for 1st base.  Then Petie's star rose.   He now looks like countless beefy lumbering hackers at the plate.  

bub said:

The contrast between Smith and Alonso is getting awkward.  There was a time when Smith was the heir apparent for 1st base.  Then Petie's star rose.   He now looks like countless beefy lumbering hackers at the plate.  

I agree. And Alonso or Smith and Cano should be packaged and moved for a gaggle of young players. Because it looks as if they will go nowhere for many seasons.

I'm obsessed with getting rid of Cano but even with Mets eating a lot his salary, I don't see it happening.  

Why did Hamilton start today?  He just can't hit.  He has mid outfield power.  Sure, he's good on defense but that's no reason to start him.

Up 7-2 with two outs.  You'd think they could hold that.

I'll give any team Nimmo, Davis, or McNeill if they will take Diaz.

FilmCarp said:

Up 7-2 with two outs.  You'd think they could hold that.

can't give a big league team 5 outs.

I think that breaks the back.  And enough with using Lugo as a starter.  Stretching him out halfway through a short season means they get three innings once a week for a month from their second best pitcher.  

And he would have saved at least two of the games that Diaz has blown. I'm hoping the sale goes through and they can get a new GM, manager and 2 outfielders. I wonder how much Syndergaard is going to ask for considering they only have 2 starters, 3 at best.

Can somebody please explain to me the purpose of today's trades.

It sounded like Clevinger was persona non grata in Cleveland. And this postseason will be such a crapshoot, I guess teams figure any tinkering could be worth it.

I'm sorry, I was only questioning the Mets' moves. They should have gone after Clevinger though if he was available. He's talented and they need a starter. I don't see why they would trade their 2019 minor league pitcher of the year for a reliever with a 1.40 WHIP. 

Makes no sense at all to me.  Pointless trades.  A bad catcher who can't hit, another retread infielder who they already had once, and a mediocre arm that they traded young picking talent for.  I was hoping for something meaningful, like shedding Canos salary while he is hot, because I doubt he will be for the next four years.  Or trading Alonso, a great young talent, for three or four pitching prospects since Dom Smith is a good hitting first baseman and a terrible outfielder.  Or maybe McNeill or Davis for pitching prospects, or Rosario. All good, valuable players who the Mets can use to restock the system.

jfinnegan said:

I'm sorry, I was only questioning the Mets' moves. 

No, my bad. I wasn't aware the Mets had acted.

Thinking that Brodie will be gone when new ownership comes in, right? 

Who do we want to replace him? Let's think BIG. 

Go. 

Alonso, McNeil and Rosario have lost value. Rosario is an average fielder and hitting slightly above .200. He has one walk in over 100 at bats. The trades you're mentioning would possibly be made if the team had a long term plan. The Wilpons are looking to sell and Brodie knows he'll be gone once a new owner comes in. Brodie's success rate on moves is about the same as Billy Hamilton's batting average.

They have lost value, but not tanked.  And there are still a lot of years of team control there.  The sum total for this trade season is the immediate loss of one good young arm and lots of players to be named later.

I honestly can't think of a good GM candidate.  Too much depends on budgets.  Everyone looks good when they can sign a Stanton.  I think it's a job almost done by committee now.  

It's difficult to judge any GM or manager with the Wilpons as the owner. They don't provide a budget and don't have any plan. Those moves yesterday just seemed like moves for the sake of making moves to try to prove to the team you're not giving up. Chirinos is no better than the catchers they have. I guess Frazier can face lefties. Trading a potential #4/5 starter for a reliever with a 1.40 WHIP that is now on I think his 5th organization makes no sense to me. 

if you look at every area of concern on the Mets there is one that just doesn't register.  The infield.  They already have too many infielders, and none are bad.  So who really needs Frazier?

I know Alonso is struggling, but do they really thing Todd Frazier is a better option at cleanup hitter than Alonso? I'm afraid to think of what analytics they are looking at.

no steps forward every step back....ugh.

Goodbye Mr. Seaver.  

Some rivals (Stargell, Murphy, Jenkins, Bench) you just had to tip your cap to throughout their careers. Seaver led that pack.

Around the early '80s, my mother's artist friend from the city came to visit. To us New Jersey suburbanites, she was a true bohemian and probably never watched a sporting event in her life. When my mother told her that my brother and I loved baseball, she gamely replied with what I'm sure was the only reference she had to the game: "Oh...so whatever happened to Tom and Nancy Seaver?"

The Franchise was truly someone who transcended the game during that era in New York City.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!