Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Agreed. I will never complain about the Cespedes deal. The Diaz and Cano deal on the other hand... 

Just plain bad.  They can't hit, they don't field, and if they only have a 4 run lead after 7 I worry.  They need to bench Cespedes now and let Dom Smith hit every day.  They always lean on old guys and stifle the fun young guys.

They have 4 DHs actually playing the field. I like Davis and Nimmo, but they're both playing out of position. I think they're going to give Cespedes some more time. I would prefer Cano be out and put Smith in left. Dom definitely deserves to be in the lineup.  

3 and 6 after 15% of the season.  In a regular season that's roughly 24 games, so they would be 8-16.  Every game I watch it looks like they are bad in every area, except for a couple of starters and relievers.  Bad hitting, bad fielding, poor choices on the bases, badly managed pitching changes, etc.  As desperate as I was to get to see baseball again, I'm almost done.  I haven't really seen any from the Mets.

Another lousy game, but at least Cespedes quit.  

Good riddance on Cespedes.  A-hole can't even pick up the phone before the game to say he isn't showing up.  Enough of him already.  I'm happy to see the likes of Dom Smith get more playing time.

I thought I missed sports but it's only been a week and it's a debacle.  The Mets suck, Rangers lose first playoff game, and Jet's big linebacker signing of last year, CJ Mosley, who barely played a down for them before getting hurt last year, also announces a Covid opt out for this year.

I don’t know about you all, but I hate that my team has to play the interleague division with the Orioles in it.

Train_of_Thought said:

Apologies. I only meant to reflect on the anniversary of acquiring Cespedes and the ensuing run of 2015. Better times.

Hit the showers.

5 game suspension!

Just now seeing this. I think you don't recognize my positive Met comments. Sigh. Or you just don't care a whole lot for me. Well and, not or.

The pundits seem to think more of this squad than I do.  I'd love to be wrong.  I do think they need 3 out of 4 against Washington.

Diaz has been far from terrible.  Cano was hitting up a storm before injury.  Gimenez has turned into a good problem for the Mets and real fun to watch.  Smith needs to pick up his average but with at 11th on the team with number at bats, he has the 3d most RBIs.  I'll take him over Cespedes 2020.  

The starting pitching is going to be an issue. They need to win all of deGrom's starts and Matz has to step up. I am not a Matz fan, so I may have less confidence in that happening than the average fan. When is Bartolo coming back? 

Stroman is coming along.

Stroman opted out. All those pitching prospects they traded away would come in handy right about now. Bartolo time! 

jfinnegan said:

Stroman opted out. All those pitching prospects they traded away would come in handy right about now. Bartolo time! 

Gsellman better start pitching some simulated games to get up to 75-80 pitches.  Honestly I'd rather have Gsellman than Wacha.  Stroman will be tough to replace.  But it wouldn't be too bad to have deGrom, Matz, Porcello, Peterson and Gsellman. It weakens the pen a bit, so Betances and Diaz would have to step up and be more consistent.

When is the trade deadline? Can they get anything for Matz? They have to probably win 23 to 25 more games out of 43 remaining after what looks like tonight's loss. That's maybe 9 starts left for deGrom. They need at least 7 wins from him. I don't see how they get 16 to 18 wins from the other 4 starters. That would mean they go close to .500 with those starters. Lugo is so valuable in relief, but I wonder if it makes sense to see what he has as a starter. 

The starting pitching is so weak that they can't afford to trade Matz, who has almost no value anyway.  At the beginning of last season starting pitching was the strength of this team.  Now they have at best three starters.  At best.  And as pro union as I am, I think Stroman has acted dishonestly.  He stayed  long enough to pick up his qualifying year and then opted out, injury aside.  They are sunk for this year.  I hope this has opened up some payroll for next year, and that the strength of Davis and Gimenez gives them room to trade good players like McNeill or Smith for good young pitching, not 30 year old fringe players.

I think the cardboard fans are going to sue for legs so that they can walk out.  

I would honestly take nothing for Matz. I can't stand watching him. I thought Stroman was going to come back, because he's a free agent. I figured he would want to show what he has. I wonder if they'll overpay Syndergaard now that they have only one reliable pitcher or they'll let him walk. And I hope this is Alonso's sophomore slump. 

Train_of_Thought said:

Just now seeing this. I think you don't recognize my positive Met comments. Sigh. Or you just don't care a whole lot for me. Well and, not or.

Nothing but love, baby. Nothing but love. 

and after we fans started giving up hope, the Mets have quietly won six of their last 10, and if the season ended today, they'd make the postseason with the 8 seed.  It's going to be weird season, and obviously the key thing for any team is going to be avoiding COVID outbreaks.  St. Louis is going to make up their postponed games in a boatload of doubleheaders.  I don't see how a pitching staff survives that.

But barring a virus outbreak, I'm starting to like what I see out of the team.  deGrom has been deGrom, and aside from a couple of heartbreaking meltdowns, the bullpen is starting to look like what we hoped it would be.  Peterson has been a nice surprise, and we seem to be getting more of good Porcello than bad Porcello.  Alonso is starting to look like himself, and the team is finally starting to hit with men on base.  Conforto has been very good, and Gimenez has been a nice surprise.  With him, Guillorme and Hamilton in the game in late innings, the fielding has actually been pretty good so far, especially compared to last year.  Matz remains the biggest concern, and his starts seem to be getting worse instead of better.

All that said, I like the team's chances if they get in the postseason to get to the second round.  A best of three series with deGrom pitching one of them gives the team a chance.

As you type deGrom was scratched for tonight's start. Neck stiffness. Hopefully it's not too bad. I wasn't going to agree with you regarding trading McNeil since he's my favorite position player on the team, but if he can't stay healthy he doesn't help the team.

jfinnegan said:

As you type deGrom was scratched for tonight's start. Neck stiffness. Hopefully it's not too bad. I wasn't going to agree with you regarding trading McNeil since he's my favorite position player on the team, but if he can't stay healthy he doesn't help the team.

I don't recall saying they should trade McNeil, but maybe I did.  I don't think I'd trade him until they decide on which of the young infielders are for real.  I might be more willing to trade Rosario if Gimenez is really ready to hit in the big leagues.

Steven door Matz on the mound again.....

FilmCarp said:

Steven door Matz on the mound again.....

as soon as I posted on Friday, the Mets turned around and played two consecutive games that were the examples of the worst of 2019 and 2020 -- an injury, bad starting pitching, lack of hitting with RISP, and one bullpen metldown.

sheesh.  I should have waited at least a dozen more games before thinking maybe they'd turned this thing around.

Nah. Your timing was perfect.

And, man, those Orioles.

Here is what always drives me nuts.  The Mets play poorly with old expensive guys in the field.  Something happens and they get hurt or are unavailable (Cespedes, Cano).   So they let prospects play, who bring energy and excitement.  The team starts winning.  Then the old guy comes off the DL, so they immediately sit the young player and put the old guy back in. The old guy struggles for two months until the Mets are out of it.  Then he has  two good weeks and the manager says it's great that they let him play through to this point.  Then he collapses again. Meanwhile the young guy rots on the bench and is traded off season for a 35 year old relief pitcher.  It seems to happen every time.  

Apologies ml1, it was FilmCarp that suggested trading McNeil or Smith. I would prefer to keep both of those guys. Cano did hit a homer and tie the game on Friday. The bigger issue is if Ramos doesn't start hitting, because he can't field either so they might as well put Nido in. I started watching the beginning of Matz's start and figured that he would lower his ERA since it was 8.20. I was wrong... I hope Alonso can start laying off the same breaking pitch 3 feet off the plate. They're first in the league in batting average and last in average with RISP. I don't know what Conforto's splits are, but I have a feeling he's hitting over .500 with the bases empty and below .100 with runners on.

jfinnegan said:

I don't know what Conforto's splits are, but I have a feeling he's hitting over .500 with the bases empty and below .100 with runners on.

Conforto RISB: .238. (Ahead of Ramos .118, McNeil .154, Alonso .206 and Nimmo .222.)

Conforto bases empty: .289.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.