Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

So who wants the Mets to go after Strasburg?

(Ducks)

Well, he’s thrown 87 games to Wilson Ramos (3.16 ERA) without complaint. 

mrincredible said:

So who wants the Mets to go after Strasburg?

(Ducks)

resigning Wheeler would be a lot less costly. 

Yeah I know. I had just read how he opted out of his contract. He's going to sign elsewhere for a stupid amount of money that someone will regret in four years.

I love Strasburg's make up, and the fact that he is getting stronger now, at age 31.  Could be that the Nats strategy of limiting his innings early in his career helped him build to this.  

But he turned down a guaranteed $25MM a year for the next four years.  Meaning he is thinking $30MM a year for at least 4 years, or perhaps $25MM for 6-8 years.  Given that the Mets have deGrom and Noah at the top of their rotation, and have some significant needs at other positions, it makes more sense to me to re-sign Wheeler (who will give a solid 180 innings) and spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

I would prefer Rendon and a couple of decent relievers. I'm not holding my breath on either.

mfpark said:

I love Strasburg's make up, and the fact that he is getting stronger now, at age 31.  Could be that the Nats strategy of limiting his innings early in his career helped him build to this.  

But he turned down a guaranteed $25MM a year for the next four years.  Meaning he is thinking $30MM a year for at least 4 years, or perhaps $25MM for 6-8 years.  Given that the Mets have deGrom and Noah at the top of their rotation, and have some significant needs at other positions, it makes more sense to me to re-sign Wheeler (who will give a solid 180 innings) and spend the rest of the money elsewhere.

I'm not sure Wheeler isn't going to get stupid money too. They might be better off with a less expensive veteran option as the 5th starter and spend on the bullpen instead. 

jfinnegan said:

I would prefer Rendon and a couple of decent relievers. I'm not holding my breath on either.

I don't want Rendon. He's likely to get at least 8 years. It will be another of those contracts that's an anchor for the last 2-3 years. I'd rather they got a real CF and move McNeil to 3rd. 

ml1 said:

I'm not sure Wheeler isn't going to get stupid money too. They might be better off with a less expensive veteran option as the 5th starter and spend on the bullpen instead. 

Wheeler will get $16mm for 4 years.  You read it here.

mfpark said:

Wheeler will get $16mm for 4 years.  You read it here.

If that’s all he gets, the Mets could match that. I’m thinking $90MM over 5 years. 

My suspension having been fully served, allow me to freely just say...

No comment.

I wouldn't offer Rendon 8 years, but if they can get him for 5 or 6 I would do it and move McNeil to leftfield until Cano gets hurt in May. I would be more concerned about offering Strasburg a long term deal. He just threw over 240 innings this year. 

I think the Nats could retain both Rendon and Strasburg.  The Nats payroll is below the league average, so they have room to spend more if they so choose.  Meanwhile both Strasburg and Rendon seem to like playing in DC and like their teammates. 

They just exercised an option on Eaton, so their outfield is set along with Soto and Robles.  They need a new first basemen as Zimmerman was cut loose, and Suzuki is 36 and needs to be replaced, although they have a few highly rated catcher prospects in the minors.  With Scherzer (if healthy) and Corbin they have a solid top of the rotation.

I know that it is a stretch to think that team chemistry and chances to repeat matter, but if they do and if Lerner is willing, then I can see Stasburg and Rendon finding enough money in DC to stay.

Given what my friend the Nats fan tells me about the local attachment to Rendon (and the risk of that base’s backlash), I think the team’s motivation to keep him will be higher than it was to keep Harper.

mfpark said:

I think the Nats could retain both Rendon and Strasburg.  The Nats payroll is below the league average, so they have room to spend more if they so choose.  Meanwhile both Strasburg and Rendon seem to like playing in DC and like their teammates. 

They just exercised an option on Eaton, so their outfield is set along with Soto and Robles.  They need a new first basemen as Zimmerman was cut loose, and Suzuki is 36 and needs to be replaced, although they have a few highly rated catcher prospects in the minors.  With Scherzer (if healthy) and Corbin they have a solid top of the rotation.

I know that it is a stretch to think that team chemistry and chances to repeat matter, but if they do and if Lerner is willing, then I can see Stasburg and Rendon finding enough money in DC to stay.

I’ve been assuming all along that staying in DC is the likeliest outcome for both. 

Do the Mets go after Yasmani Grandal? If so, what's he worth? 

NotoriousEAM said:

Do the Mets go after Yasmani Grandal? If so, what's he worth? 

I've lost all perspective on what a ballplayer is worth anymore.

If I was a GM, I don't think I'd sign any free agent to anything more than three years because I can't think of more than a very small examples where teams aren't saddled with a crappy contract in the latter years*.

* - Carlos Beltran was an exception to this rule. GREAT free agent signing. 

I think a lot of these mega contracts are signed knowing you might be looking at paying a premium for years 5-8 in exchange for (hopefully) stellar performance in years 1-4. And you might get better than you hoped for later.

It's hard to say how these decisions are made. There is certainly an element of gambling even in a three year contract. 

I wish the Mets would truly embrace the idea behind moneyball.  Find the overlooked and undervalued players.  The Mets always seem to get on board 4 years late, when everyone is already there.  That's too late.  Everyone is into launch angle and homers.  The Mets got a taste last year of old style national league play, with high averages from some guys and good plate discipline.  I think that's the secret.  If they can get  6 guys to hit over 280 (they had 4 last year) and Alonso to hit 260 with 35 homers that would be fantastic.  Don't overpay for a slugger.  Get some ground ball relievers, and teach pitchers to be efficient enough to get through 6 innings every start.  That would be a fun team to watch.

I think the Mets are well on their way toward that, FilmCarp. I love this lineup especially the young talent in Alonso, Conforto, Nimmo, McNeil, Davis and Rosario. If Cespedes comes back, then that's icing on the cake. They need another starter since I don't think they'll sign Wheeler. They could use a reliever or two. The 2019 team feels like 1984. The Mets sign Beltran, a great player and future HOFer to manage just like the Mets did when the signed Davey Johnson to manage in 1985. If 2020 turns into 1985 (they won't win that many games, though) and 2021 turns into 1986...wow. Ya gotta believe!

To be honest, I think Cespedes is an anchor.  Since he may come back, the Mets can't sign an expensive FA to end up riding the bench.  But he probably won't come back.  And if I were to compare Beltran to anyone, it would be Callaway, since neither had managed before this job.  Beltran was an excellent player.  I have no idea at all what he will be like as a manager.  

FilmCarp said:

To be honest, I think Cespedes is an anchor.  Since he may come back, the Mets can't sign an expensive FA to end up riding the bench.  But he probably won't come back.  And if I were to compare Beltran to anyone, it would be Callaway, since neither had managed before this job.  Beltran was an excellent player.  I have no idea at all what he will be like as a manager.  

You're right. Beltran is a risk without the managerial experience. A lot has to go right for them to really compete. I live in a fantasy world when it comes to the Mets!

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
What's the Cespedes story? Will he ever play for the Mets again?

unfortunately I'm not sure he'll play anywhere. He's barely had any at bats for 2 years now. 

I hope I'm wrong. He was a fun player to watch. It would be a shame if he's done. 

$110M for about a year and a half of games......

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
What's the Cespedes story? Will he ever play for the Mets again?

unfortunately I'm not sure he'll play anywhere. He's barely had any at bats for 2 years now. 

I hope I'm wrong. He was a fun player to watch. It would be a shame if he's done. 

$110M for about a year and a half of games......

Minus the insurance payments.  I'll bet they are out $30 million 

Kudos to Pete.  Well-deserved.  I hope he can keep up this pace for another 20 years or so.

Let's take it a year at a time.

Is it pie-in-the-sky to swing a deal for Mookie Betts?

NotoriousEAM said:

Is it pie-in-the-sky to swing a deal for Mookie Betts?

I am a Red Sox fan and love Mookie Betts for a host of reasons--defense, offense, speed, desire, character.  He would be the center fielder the Mets need for the next five years or more.

But I would not want to see the Mets trade for him unless he was willing (and the Mets were able) to do a trade and extend deal.  Mookie is in his walk year in 2020 and anything the Mets give up to get him for a one-year rental does not make sense.  The Mets are hardly loaded in the minors, especially after the haul they gave to the Mariners last year to get Diaz and Cano.  And trading any of their young MLB players makes even less sense for a one year rental.

mfpark said:

I am a Red Sox fan and love Mookie Betts for a host of reasons--defense, offense, speed, desire, character.  He would be the center fielder the Mets need for the next five years or more.

But I would not want to see the Mets trade for him unless he was willing (and the Mets were able) to do a trade and extend deal.  Mookie is in his walk year in 2020 and anything the Mets give up to get him for a one-year rental does not make sense.  The Mets are hardly loaded in the minors, especially after the haul they gave to the Mariners last year to get Diaz and Cano.  And trading any of their young MLB players makes even less sense for a one year rental.

Agreed.

That’s why it will never happen with the current ownership.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.