Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I am 52.  I have seen so many bad seasons.  This is the worst, because outside of the bullpen there is talent.  I am also sick and tired of hearing about Tom Seaver and the 69 Mets.  Bragging about one season, 50 years ago, only emphasizes how much losing we have had to put up with here in one of the largest markets in the country.

Well, the Wilpons tried to think outside of the box by hiring Brodie. It was seen as a weird move by most. I don't mind going after Diaz since he seemed like one of the best out there although for a penny pinching owner, to be saddled with Cano's salary wasn't very smart. But the worst move was signing Familia. I don't know a single Mets fan happy with that move. As FilmCarp said, there's talent on this team - young talent, can you imagine?! - but the bullpen has been the problem area since...Billy Wagner? Maybe not as far as John Franco. I know the Mets had a couple of good years out of Benitez. Am I missing anyone? Why can't they solve this problem?

Because they are the ******* Mets.   

Robbie Cano, dontcha know.

The '69 celebration, the video tribute, the players present (especially -- for me -- Buddy and Grote), the families of those no longer with us, EVERY mention of Tom Seaver...just WONDERFUL in every way. How can you not be romantic about baseball...

Are you at Citifield?

sbenois said:
Are you at Citifield?

No sir. As seen on TV.

ah.  I am at the game.  Quite fun.

I hope you all take this as a show of respect and not pity: Neither of these two teams should have to lose five straight to the other in this fashion.

That was a bad game. Will watch the Mets only to see if Alonso hits one out (which he did last night). Would also love to see McNeil win the batting crown.

last night doesn't even count as a blown save.  But the number of blown saves is almost unreal. It would be hard to blow that many saves if you were just picking random AAA hurlers to fill out your bullpen. 

If it makes you feel any better, while the Mets do lead the ML in blown saves with 21, they are not running away with the title.

Boston, Washington, and Seattle have 18, and Pittsburgh has 16.  

Unfortunately it doesn’t.

jimmurphy said:
Unfortunately it doesn’t.

This might make you feel better: Homerun Derby tonight at 8pm on ESPN. Let's all cheer on Alonso!

NotoriousEAM said:
 This might make you feel better: Homerun Derby tonight at 8pm on ESPN. Let's all cheer on Alonso!

Did he choose a Mets reliever to pitch to him?

mfpark said:
If it makes you feel any better, while the Mets do lead the ML in blown saves with 21, they are not running away with the title.

it does not.  Because it doesn't even take into account all the games that the Mets trailed by a run or two until the bullpen gave up a bundle of runs to make it impossible to come back.

The bullpen has mostly been terrible by any metric anyone can think of.

mfpark said:

NotoriousEAM said:

Let the record show that not even a Phillies fan went there. Brrrr.

Ha! I guess only a Mets fan would laugh at mfpark's response. I nearly spat out my coffee. 

ml1 said:

mfpark said:
 it does not.  Because it doesn't even take into account all the games that the Mets trailed by a run or two until the bullpen gave up a bundle of runs to make it impossible to come back.
The bullpen has mostly been terrible by any metric anyone can think of.

It's pretty incredible how bad they have turned out to be. When they put in Matz I thought "geez...how bad is this going to get?" If Diaz doesn't close, to whom do we turn?

I tuned in for a minute on Sunday, saw they were down four zip, and changed to the History channel because I figured the Germans had a better chance of coming back and winning WW2 than the Mets had of winning that game.

NotoriousEAM said:

If Diaz doesn't close, to whom do we turn?

Joe Benigno was saying this morning that Syndergaard should re-invent himself as a closer. Could enter to Thor movie music, blow three hitters away and be done. Said couldn't be any worse than his 4.68 ERA as a starter. I'm not sure whether he was serious or not.

mfpark said:

Ha! I read somewhere that his cousin is pitching to him.

jimmurphy said:
 Ha! I read somewhere that his cousin is pitching to him.

So far, he’s the first Mets pitcher this year throwing pitches that can’t be hit for home runs. 

Surprised Alonso didn't charge the mound.  How many times was he almost plunked by that guy?

that’s how good Alonso is. His BP pitcher was trying pitch around him and he still won the derby. 

It sure seemed like half of his homers were hit to centerfield. How many times did he clear those trees! He's a monster!

seriously, if Alonso wants to defend his title next year he needs a new pitcher. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.