Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Lead over the Marlins is down to a game and a half.   question 

...but on the bright side, Hansel Robles served up the game-losing home run in extras in his Angels debut tonight.

Thank heavens Swarzak is back to stabilize the bullpen.   question 

Train_of_Thought said:
...but on the bright side, Hansel Robles served up the game-losing home run in extras in his Angels debut tonight.

I don't know.  I don't wish ex Mets ill.  He's not a great pitcher, but he did try.  I like seeing players do well.  I'd be happy to see Harvey have a few good years.

Sandy always seemed like a classy, brainy guy but the objective fact is that we have a poor organization.  

On the one hand, Alderson has had to deal with a ton of injuries to critical players the last few years.  Heck, his first big signing was David Wright after the 2012 season--who promptly fell apart physically and has been a non factor ever since. 

And he took over the Mets in the middle of the Madoff imbroglio when the Wilpons acted and spent like owners of an independent minor league team.

That said, results matter, and Alderson has had piss poor results the last few years.  He has had some amazing pitchers to build around, but the team has been worse than mediocre--it has been pedestrian and boring.  This in the biggest market on the planet.  To me that is the biggest criticism of them all.  Losing boring is the worst way to lose.

If my staff and properties underperformed to this level for this long a period of time I would expect to be fired from my job--and I am not in a rapid turnover field like the major leagues.

When your big signings every year are aging players prone to injury at some point the finger needs to point back at you and your staff.  I know folks criticize his development of the minor leagues, but they have traded for or developed enough young arms and bats to be competitive when surrounded by the right other parts.  The whole organization needs to be shaken up and rebuilt, and no, don't say the Wilpons have to go because that ain't gonna happen.

Your last sentence is the key.  As long as the Wilpons act like New York is a small market, good players will choose to play elsewhere.  

The extreme pitchers' park does not help matters either when it comes to signing free agent hitters.

They’re officially off my DVR rotation.  Not even remotely worth space better used for a library of Bourdain and 1st-gen Top Gear reruns.  

Although I must say I far more enjoy listening to the Mets' radio team, even during a really bad game, than the Yankees' radio klutzes.  I will give the Mets that.   

They are unwatchable. When they hit (rarely), they can't pitch. When they pitch well, they get three hits. Or the bullpen loses it for them. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by Callaway's demeanor which is a tad too calm given the atrocious results thus far. His weird comments after yesterday's loss: "Probably, the best learning experience for our team than any other stretch that we’re probably going to have" AND "We’ll be a better group of people and a better team because we went through this stretch" are Art Howe-like. Did the Mets hire the wrong manager on top of everything else? Egads. 

NotoriousEAM said:
They are unwatchable. When they hit (rarely), they can't pitch. When they pitch well, they get three hits. Or the bullpen loses it for them. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by Callaway's demeanor which is a tad too calm given the atrocious results thus far. His weird comments after yesterday's loss: "Probably, the best learning experience for our team than any other stretch that we’re probably going to have" AND "We’ll be a better group of people and a better team because we went through this stretch" are Art Howe-like. Did the Mets hire the wrong manager on top of everything else? Egads. 

I'm generally disposed to be patient with a new, young manager but his sunniness at all costs must have a limit.  On the other hand, you can't yell at baseball players to hit better or make accurate throws.  It's not like football or hockey where you can tell a slumping player "go out there and hit somebody."  

Prayers for Sandy.  It does not sound like he will be returning even if he beats it again this time.

Prayers for Sandy, to be sure. I bet he does not return (at least in the same capacity). It sure sounds like they're going to have a GM-by-committee approach which I don't think is a great idea. But installing Ricco as the GM seems like a dull selection and I'm not sure if I want to see Minaya back in that role, either. Who's out there that could be a great GM for the Mets...assuming Sandy doesn't return?

whoever has had primary oversight of the minor league system for the last few years should definitely be out of the running.

Wow, it looks like the Mets' abysmal mediocrity has silenced even this thread.......

If only they were mediocre.  They are among the 4 or 5 worst teams in baseball.

If they were mediocre they would only be 7 games out and sort of have a shot. Which of the GMs gets final say on trades? 

jfinnegan said:  ...Which of the GMs gets final say on trades? 

Officially - Ricco.  In reality - J. Wilpon.

this may be the worst Mets team I can remember.  I'm 51.  One or two good starters, and then not much.

FilmCarp said:
this may be the worst Mets team I can remember.  I'm 51.  One or two good starters, and then not much.

But...Corey Oswalt!

They have more GMs than prospects.

Gol-darned Mets.  They even manage to screw up a perfect game with a meaningless single.

They are nearly-no-hit more than any team ever it seems...

And the team that says “Forget nearly!” and has been no-hit the most? The same club that just coughed up your opener tonight.

Why isn't Wilmer playing every game? I know he can't field third, but neither can Reyes and Reyes can't hit. 

Wilmer Flores now has more walk-off hits than anyone in Mets history. 

jimmurphy said:
They are nearly-no-hit more than any team ever it seems...

Sorry, Jim, but until the ninth that nightcap was spooky.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.