Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

mfpark said:
That was an embarrassing series punctuated by the steal of home by Baez.
The only consolation is that the Phillies also stunk up the last 10 games.  But they are still 5 games over .500 and at least their star pitcher gives a damn.

I was at the game, with a friendly Cubs fan sitting next to me. Sure the steal of home was deflating, but when Bruce stood there and willingly allowed Guillorme to catch that shallow fly while running outward with his back to home allowing Contreras to tag and score easily (I don't think Contreras even tries if Bruce plays the ball coming in like he's fundamentally supposed to), my Cubs neighbor actually patted my knee as I slumped in my seat. The pity was evident.

I highly recommend Hernandez's interview on Fresh Air on NPR. Mush more entertaining than a game at the moment. Or just listen to the interview when the #5 to 9 hitters are up (#4 if Plawecki bats cleanup again) and then turn the game back on.

T_o_T:  Yes, I later heard Bruce say by rights he should have called Guillorme off.  I wanted to hit the radio.

Jfinnegan:  Just the phrase "Plawecki batting clean-up" sums up much of the problem with this team.

And then Callaway starts blaming playing in New York for creating pressure on the guys--saying it is a tough market.  Gimme a break.  I lived in Wisconsin for years, and trust me, they were tough on the Brewskis plenty.  I lived in Boston and it was a misery when things were going poorly.  Don't even begin to mention Philadelphia or LA as tough markets.  Here is the bottom line:  Play your game, don't read the press, and remember you are getting paid a lot of money.  How hard is that?

I am banning Train of Thought for 10 days. 

No reason. 

No appeals. 

Soul_29 said:
No reason. 
No appeals. 

I think you're just lashing out in pain.

mrincredible said:

Soul_29 said:
No reason. 
No appeals. 
 I think you're just lashing out in pain.

I think he is channeling his inner Trump.

I recommend Mets fans switch to NCAA softball.  Here's a sample of what you will see:

https://twitter.com/NCAAsoftball/status/1003812417057374208/video/1

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

They just showed a between-innings David Wright highlight reel. Holy crap I miss the old him. Well, the young him. You know what I mean.
Train: You have one Get Out Of Jail Free card for this post... Use it wisely. 
The Commish

Lest we forget the above. I will not be banished for espousing basic fundies, especially by a revered softball coach whom I'm confident taught the game the right way. Kindly consider this the exercising of my commissioner's "pardon."

Train_of_Thought said:

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

They just showed a between-innings David Wright highlight reel. Holy crap I miss the old him. Well, the young him. You know what I mean.
Train: You have one Get Out Of Jail Free card for this post... Use it wisely. 
The Commish
Lest we forget the above. I will not be banished for espousing basic fundies, especially by a revered softball coach whom I'm confident taught the game the right way. Kindly consider this the exercising of my commissioner's "pardon."

Well played, my friend. Well played. 

Carry on. 

I may have to leave the country when the Yankees visit on Friday.

Well, the Orioles are one tough team, you know.

The Wilpons must go.  

Can there be anything more boring than watching the Mets vs the Orioles this year?  Two of the weakest run-producing teams.

The Mets have now lost two series having scored seven total runs, with one game accounting for four of those runs.  Boring!

I went to the game yesterday. I would go get a beer and miss an entire inning. And there were no lines. Sandy and the Wilpons aren't going anywhere. Might as well fire the hitting coach at least. 

Why would you miss an inning if there were no lines? Because you had no interest due to boredom?

jimmurphy said:
Why would you miss an inning if there were no lines? Because you had no interest due to boredom?

I think because innings go really fast when nobody is getting on base.

mrincredible got it. Both teams are anemic. I don't know why Callaway had Familia pitch to Machado with a runner on 3rd and less than two outs. Take your chances with Jonathan Schoop there. I suppose it put me out of my misery. The Mets could have gone another 20 innings and not scored.

I willfully accept any commissioner's suspension. Shining a light on the continued ineptitude of Jose Reyes is well worth it. Do your worst, Soul.

Thought for sure that the Reyes' name was going to be in the sentence with "released" in today's sports headlines, not that Gonzalez deserved to stay.

Releasing Gonzalez and Lobaton is a good start.  Losing Cabrera won't help, though, and Cespedes may never come back.  I think they need to release Reyes as well. They may not have much in the minors, but can it be worse?

A losing team top heavy with old position players who are, for the most part, substantially under performing has nothing to lose by shaking things up.

it's hard to believe Guillorme and Smith could be worse than what the team has been getting from Reyes and Gonzalez.

I think one question you have to consider is whether it's good to bring minor leaguers up too soon as part of a purge of older non productive talent. You can mess with their heads and development by pitting them against major league talent too soon. Maybe better to let the big team take their lumps and protect the developing minor leaguers.

I don't have the answer about this. The team is floundering and it doesn't look like a temporary slide. I feel terrible for guys like Syndergaard and DeGrom who are coming into their pitching prime on a team that can't score any runs. 

What about Cecchini? I can't figure out who is making the decision to keep Reyes. 

It feels like there's some kind of moment of truth coming with Cespedes.  Multiple comments from mgt and coach suggest that he's dogging it.   What can be done?  

bub said:
  What can be done?  

Become a Braves fan?

mfpark said:

bub said:
  What can be done?  
 Become a Braves fan?

I would sooner watch golf on TV for 162 days than ally myself with those tomahawk chopping morons in Atlanta for even 1 game.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!