Maplewoodstock 2018 Canopy and Space Policy

Great event but has it just gotten to big to handle?

Every year people seem to enjoy the event, while others have some complaint about it - just like every other event

apple44 said:
Every year people seem to enjoy the event, while others have some complaint about it - just like every other event

This is what I wrote on MOL about Maplewoodstock in 2009.  

with regard to developing a social network in town, for many of us, this community of musicians is one of our social networks. while it's not an official organization or club, it's an ad hoc group of people who share the same interests. it's a group of people whose bands play at the same clubs, who play at the local school benefits, volunteer their bands for silent auctions, put on the Battle of the Basement Bands, created the Rock The House series, etc.

it's that ad hoc group of musicians that put together Maplewoodstock, with very much a DIY "let's put on a show" orientation that has been the hallmark of other local musical events. of course, now that the show has become more popular, it seems it might be outgrowing those roots to an extent.

I don't want to speak for the organizers, but my impression this year was that deciding who would be on the bill, and who had to be turned away was a really tough job. there were lots of disappointments for performers who had played in the past, and did a lot to make the event into what it is today (without being paid, as has been pointed out by many here). 

people should know that for every new act added to a future Maplewoodstock, that's one fewer group that helped build this event. maybe that's going to be necessary to grow the event, and better represent various musical tastes. but it should also be recognized what it means for the performers who have been there from the start.   

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/why-weren-t-there-more-people-of-color-at-maplewoodstock?page=next&limit=210#discussion-replies-1101044

will we be able to drive up dunnell rd for drop off etc?

Erins...not allowed.  Sorry.

rhw said:
Great event but has it just gotten to big to handle?

No.  It's well under control.

Been going to Maplewoodstock for ALL of its 15 years!  There should be an old timers club, ha ha!

Love it, still.

Although there was evidently a "land rush" at 5 AM on Saturday (I'm not sure what happened on Sunday 5 AM), it does seem like festival attendees honored the policy.  We've received a lot of feedback (in person and online), and we'll take all that into consideration as we talk with the Town for the approach for 2019.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.