It's Time Again for the Hot Stove League!

I don't think anyone believes Minaya is a GM in waiting.  The next Mets GM will either be Ricco, or they'll get DePodesta to come back from the Browns.  Personally, I think it should be DePodesta, and the way the Browns have been treading water for years, I don't see how anyone in their front office survives another 2 years.

It’s the Wilpons’ decision. You never know.

Apparently Minaya was a Wilpon hire all the way, and a lot of folks in the front office are not happy about it.  I have not been able to track this down beyond a quick statement in an article with no backup.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are close to trading Clint Frazier for the Pirates' Gerrit Cole, adding a young stud to their rotation.  The Pirates had been demanding Gleybar Torres in return, but will now accept Frazier and perhaps prospect (probably Chance Adams, a good righthanded arm).  There are some reports that they may broaden the trade by including Josh Harrison from the Pirates (two years remaining on contract before FA) with the Yankees kicking in Adams and Miguel Andujar (3B)--both solid prospects.   And who knows, but Andrew McCutcheon is a FA after this season so the Pirates may want to move him as well.  No room for him in the Yankees outfield (hence the Frazier trade).....unless they can unload Ellsbury and/or Gardner.

Wilpon is said to be upset by the Stanton signing, and derides the Yankees' business model as unsustainable.  Yet the Yankees make interesting moves and put a decent product on the field year in and year out, and manage to develop good young players, while the Mets are boring and constipated.  Another reason why Wilpon needs to go, although that will never happen.

The business model of the Yanks and Dodgers is about the value of the franchise, not year-to-year profitability.  The Wilpons can't afford that anymore.

Can a Mets fan explain to me why they refuse to consider trade inquiries on Lagares?

I mean, the guy is often injured and only played in 94 games in 2017 and 79 games in 2016.  He is a great center fielder, but he is a .250 hitter, has no power or RBI potential, and is not a super base stealing threat.

Oh, and he is owed $15M over the next two seasons.

Why not get some prospects for him to help a depleted minor leagues?

probably because they don't have enough OFs on the 40 man roster.  If they trade Lagares, they'd need to go out and sign someone else to be the on the big league club this season. 

If you are correct, that is a pretty lame excuse for a New York City team.  

ml1 said:

probably because they don't have enough OFs on the 40 man roster.  If they trade Lagares, they'd need to go out and sign someone else to be the on the big league club this season. 

I thought it was because the Mets like to hang onto guys until they are worthless, i.e. Harvey and Matz. Or they may think that Lagares watching the swings of Miguel Cabrera and Stanton and working with guys that turned around JD Martinez is going to turn him into a .280/30 homer hitter. He's also planning on working with Murphy. His defense is good enough to justify putting him out there if he's able to hit .270. I wish they would see what the Marlins want for Realmuto. Another year of d'Arnaud/Plawecki will be difficult to deal with. 

I am continuously impressed with the Cardinals' front office.  Not only have they solidified a dynamite (and relatively young and controllable) outfield with the acquisition of Ozuna from the Marlins (and without trading their best assets), but they then used their surplus in the outfield to send Piscotty closer to home where his mom is suffering from ALS.  Of course, they also got two decent prospects in return, but still, a damned classy move.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/12/14/stephen-piscotty-trade-oakland-cardinals-mother-als/952980001/

The Eric Hosmer market is starting to finally move a bit.  Padres and KC are both putting big contracts on the table--$140M/7 years and $147M/7 years, respectively.  Hosmer and Boras are said to be pushing for an 8-9 year deal and shopping him around some more.

It is instructive that the team that knows him the best, KC, is willing to go that high even as a small market team.  And that the Padres, a relatively small market team, are in the hunt even with Will Myers at first base (he would move to the outfield, I guess).

I look at this and wonder why the Mets are not deep into this hunt.  Hosmer is clearly a quality guy, both on the field and in the clubhouse, and the Mets need a lot of help on both fronts.  It is just so hard to figure out what the Mets plans are--or if there even is a plan.  Could they be waiting for the big FA pool next year?  Machado, Harper, Kershaw, Donaldson, Blackmon?  Nah, I just don't see it.

I also am surprised that the Red Sox went with Moreland for two years rather than chasing Hosmer more seriously, whose swing would be dandy in Fenway--I can see him peppering the Green Monster for doubles all season long.

mfpark said:

I also am surprised that the Red Sox went with Moreland for two years rather than chasing Hosmer more seriously, whose swing would be dandy in Fenway--I can see him peppering the Green Monster for doubles all season long.

Just for fun, Hosmer’s career at Fenway:

109 PA, .354 BA (vs. .284 everywhere), .889 OPS (vs. .781), 4 2B, 3 HR

I'm a very pro-labor guy, and I think players deserve every dollar they can get. That said, I think that aside from a few very rare exceptions, 7 year deals are nuts, and 8, 9 or more years is insane. 

ml1 said:

I'm a very pro-labor guy, and I think players deserve every dollar they can get. That said, I think that aside from a few very rare exceptions, 7 year deals are nuts, and 8, 9 or more years is insane. 

I agree with you in general, but I tend to view long-term deals as essentially back-loaded two or three year deals.  I really do not think teams believe that almost any player is going to remain productive more than a few years after his free agent signing.  They already have a number of years in before they hit free agency to begin with, meaning it is quite likely that their peak has been reached.  It is a rare player who plays at a consistently excellent level for more than a few years--which is why excellence over many years is one of the most important criteria for a Hall of Fame player.  

To my mind, an 8 year deal at $160M/$20M per year is really a four year deal at $40M per year only spread over 8 years.

I disliked Hamels after he trashed the Mets following their defeat and Phillies victory.  Not cool to kick your opponent when they are down and do so publicly. Now I forgive him after this incredible donation for a very worthy cause.

Since it was specified as a Christian place I hope they take kids who are not Christian.

Train_of_Thought said:

Feel good story. http://thecomeback.com/mlb/cole-hamels-wife-heidi-donated-9-4-million-mansion-charity.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

mfpark said:

ml1 said:

I agree with you in general, but I tend to view long-term deals as essentially back-loaded two or three year deals.  I really do not think teams believe that almost any player is going to remain productive more than a few years after his free agent signing.  They already have a number of years in before they hit free agency to begin with, meaning it is quite likely that their peak has been reached.  It is a rare player who plays at a consistently excellent level for more than a few years--which is why excellence over many years is one of the most important criteria for a Hall of Fame player.  

To my mind, an 8 year deal at $160M/$20M per year is really a four year deal at $40M per year only spread over 8 years.

Teams would be better off paying $40 million for 4 years. Having to deal with a player during those out years is a real killer.

ska said:

mfpark said:

ml1 said:

Teams would be better off paying $40 million for 4 years. Having to deal with a player during those out years is a real killer.

While this is the logical outcome of my logic above, it is also not feasible within the salary cap structure.  That is why I advocate signing longer term deals then cut them after a few years if/when they are no longer productive so you can make room for younger talent.  Eat the out years, and get what you can from the early productive years.

Those out years seem to be always toxic in reality. Unless I see a guy as the one guy to get us a World Series now I would totally pass. 

Mets reportedly talking to the Pirates about a trade for McCutcheon.  It would be a one year rental deal, as he is in his walk year and owed $14.75M.  Plus the cost of trading prospects or young MLB players from an already depleted minor league organization.  I am not a fan of this one.  Not unless the Mets decide to open the vaults and bring in a few other big bats to make a serious run in 2018 (assuming the pitching remains healthy).

A more palatable rumor is the Mets are looking at Moustakas as a three or four year third base gig.  The good news is it means they may finally admit that Wright is done.  Moustakas is supposed to be a solid clubhouse presence who hit 38 dingers last year (although in Citifield you can probably reduce that by 25%).  But he is a Boras client, so he may sit a lot longer before signing a deal.

Todd Frazier is also mentioned. He has less power these days than Moustakas, plays better defense, and may take a one or two year deal.

Next year Donaldson and Machado hit the FA market as third basemen.  And then there is Harper......

But given how weak the Mets front office/ownership looks, it is hard to see a premier FA choosing the Mets over a host of other teams who are bound to be chasing them.

The Mets will not spend real money, either this year or next, for top tier free agents.  The ownership needs to change.  There is no reason that the Mets can not be as financially successful as the Yankees.  It is all at the feet of ownership.  

Since this isn’t a Mets Fans Only thread, I’d be a traitor to Phillies fandom if I didn’t interject how much I’m enjoying the schadenfreude.

DaveSchmidt said:

Since this isn’t a Mets Fans Only thread, I’d be a traitor to Phillies fandom if I didn’t interject how much I’m enjoying the schadenfreude.

I think we covered some of the Phillies moves this year up-thread.

The signing of Santana was an announcement that the Phillies are not going to simply wait for their really fine young players to develop into stars--Hoskins, Nola, and Alfaro.  It looks like they will try to follow the Red Sox-Yankees model of mixing in some expensive veterans with their youngsters.  Their owner recently said that while they have a budget, they are also able to break the bank for the right deals.  

Recently they have been stockpiling solid AAA and AA signings to keep the flow of young talent going.  The pundits have them being a year or two away from contending, but I think they may be pretty solid this year.

One thing for sure--the only time the Phillies will be behind the Mets will be when the teams are listed alphabetically.

mfpark said:

Mets reportedly talking to the Pirates about a trade for McCutcheon.  It would be a one year rental deal, as he is in his walk year and owed $14.75M.  Plus the cost of trading prospects or young MLB players from an already depleted minor league organization.  I am not a fan of this one.  Not unless the Mets decide to open the vaults and bring in a few other big bats to make a serious run in 2018 (assuming the pitching remains healthy).

A more palatable rumor is the Mets are looking at Moustakas as a three or four year third base gig.  The good news is it means they may finally admit that Wright is done.  Moustakas is supposed to be a solid clubhouse presence who hit 38 dingers last year (although in Citifield you can probably reduce that by 25%).  But he is a Boras client, so he may sit a lot longer before signing a deal.

Todd Frazier is also mentioned. He has less power these days than Moustakas, plays better defense, and may take a one or two year deal.

Next year Donaldson and Machado hit the FA market as third basemen.  And then there is Harper......

But given how weak the Mets front office/ownership looks, it is hard to see a premier FA choosing the Mets over a host of other teams who are bound to be chasing them.

Getting Moustakas would be nice. He had the great good fortune of posting career numbers in his walk year. Still, it would be a lefty bat, decent power, good contact, not a huge strikeout dude. Young enough to be productive through a four-year contract. Is he a good fielder? I can't recall if he is average or above average.

He is a bit below average but his hands are not made of stone.

Frazier is a better fielder, but older and with less power.

Hey Yankees and Red Sox fans:  The Blue Jays are doing some little things that might actually make them an ok team this year--if their pitchers hold up.  They bolstered their infield.  But they still need a number one pitcher, and they are not yet linked to any of the big gun FAs out there.

The Jays acquired Yangervis Solarte from the Padres.  Now, it is fun enough to say his name.  But he is a pretty valuable four position infielder who hits for moderate power.  Ok, so his fielding is mezza mezza, especially at second base where he likely will wind up.  He is a more natural third baseman, but unless Donaldson is injured or traded in his walk year there is no way Solarte plays much third. 

Oh, and he has one of the most team-friendly contracts around.

Solarte was once with the Yankees--they traded him for Headley, who now is back with the Padres which made Solarte expendable--although the Padres may still trade Headley before the season starts.

The Jays also picked up Aledmys Diaz from the Cards to cover shortstop, meaning they think Tulowitski will continue to have injury problems in 2018.  Diaz is young, showed some pop in 2016, but was up and down (literally, between AAA and the MLB) in 2017.  Not a superb fielder, but a good addition given Tulowitski's condition.

latest rumors suggest that the Mets have been pretending that they're cutting budget, but are prepared to spend for at least one major free agent.  Given the huge number of unsigned players, it really hasn't made sense for any team to be bidding against themselves. So while it may have been driving fans crazy, the Mets may have been being smart by waiting to get someone valuable without overpaying.  The pundits seem to think it will be Moustakas or Frazier, and possibly Logan Morrison as 1B/backup OF.  Signing a 3B would mean moving Cabrera to 2B, which could work.  Another option could be re-signing Walker at 2B and keeping Cabrera at 3rd.  

If the Mets come out of the winter with Moustakas or Walker, a fallback option for 1B/OF, and Swarzak it won't be a disastrous offseason.  The reality is this -- if the starting pitching is as bad as last year, no offseason moves will compensate.  If deGrom and Syndergaard return to form, Harvey and Matz are even half decent, and Familia and Ramos hold down the 8th and 9th innings, the team will contend for the postseason.  If the pitching staff spends most of 2018, on the DL, it's 90+ losses again.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/s...

Well said.

But I think fan pressure is also moving the needle on the Mets wanting to make a deal soon.

Reports are Jay Bruce signing with the Mets 3 years $39 million. 

Michael Conforto is now a CF

Yup, Bruce signed for three years, $39M.  Far less than the five years/$50M he was said to be originally seeking.  This is a good signing by the Mets--not team-changing, but certainly good.  Score one for Sandy for waiting out the market. 

Bruce is 31 years old, so going past three years was nuts for anyone (hence the lack of a market for him beyond that).  

Given that Conforto still cannot swing a bat, and with spring training about 5 weeks away, I think both the Mets and Bruce were pretty motivated to get it done.  With Hosmer and Martinez remaining unsigned, Bruce decided that $39M and a known place to call home for three years was worth it.  Hard to feel much sympathy for a multimillionaire, eh?

I guess Bruce also gives the Mets some comfort to allow Dominic Smith more time to ripen, although I think they should trade Smith and be done with him.  If Smith comes into spring training looking as over-matched by MLB pitching as he did last year, look to Bruce to be the full time first baseman.

Assuming Smith remains the regular first baseman, this makes a Lagares trade a little more probable, although the injuries over the last few years to Cespedes amd Conforto (and also to Lagares, if they retain his services) mean the Mets' outfield is kind of shaky right now.  Conforto, when healthy, can play center--certainly not as well as Lagares, whose range also helps make Cespedes and Bruce look better.  But Conforto's bat, and Lagares' lack of a bat, will make this a necessity on days when Bruce is not playing first base.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!