Big Rainstorm (was Tropical Storm) (was Major Hurricane) Ida

several cars were stuck under the train overpasses - like Parker and Jefferson.  A few cars were abandoned on Valley street by Parker.

My house never floods.  I was up until 2 pumping out water and I know I have more to do.  We have underground electric service and one of the major water entry points was through the pull box where the wires enter my house.  Still, I am fortunate that I keep a pump or two on hand for emergencies.  My dog loved every minute of it, once I figured I probably would not get electrocuted and let him in on the action.

PeterWick said:

bub said:

Gosh what a disaster.  I don't know how it works, where the high and low points are exactly, but we live just a couple of blocks from TJ's into the neighborhood across Millburn Ave. and we were not flooded.  We were not flooded during the past two mega storms over the decades.  People farther in and downhill not so lucky. 

Hey, we're over on South Mountain Road. Howdy neighbor!

yo!

It's so beautiful out now, I almost feel guilty thinking about going out and enjoying it.

dano said:

The above post shows Newark received 7.88” of rain in 6 hours. I’m curious to find out the calculation of what that would translate into snow accumulations had it been some freak storm in February:0 

A meteorologists nightmare!

10 years since Irene. Almost to the day. 

I keep hearing about how bad it is out there post flooding. I hope everyone is okay from a safety perspective.

This is some of the most stunning tornado video I’ve ever seen — anywhere: https://twitter.com/bartch_88/status/1433250262693654531?s=10

I walked downtown Millburn and my neighborhood and based upon visual inspection and talking to people, the flooding is not as bad as in prior mega-flood events.  Hardly great.  But not as bad.  I'm sure its different from town to town.

Open your windows.  Get the fresh dry air in.

Between North Ridgewood and Wyoming.

Did not see sidewalk destruction like that anywhere.  Wondering what the immediate conditions are that allowed that.

mrincredible said:

Between North Ridgewood and Wyoming.

On what street?  Redmond? 

bub said:

Did not see sidewalk destruction like that anywhere.  Wondering what the immediate conditions are that allowed that.

Tree came down.  You can see the roots.

Last night there was an incident at Pierson at the golf course. Two people got swept off of the road in their car (silver one in pic). Car was filling up with water, so the man & daughter got out. She was swept away by river, but caught onto the golf cart bridge. Burnet St Neighbors came out to help. Soon a police car arrived, but also was swept off of road. Neighbors got life preservers & a surf board & helped rescue everyone. The water was up to where the trees on the left are. Fortunately everyone is ok.

Here is a pic of the Maplewood police car last night

stay home

cars are abandoned everywhere

Any idea of this was a 100-year storm? do those things even exist anymore during climate change?

addiemoose said:

Any idea of this was a 100-year storm? do those things even exist anymore during climate change?

Probably more than 100 year storm. 

joanne said:

Thinking of you all, hoping you stay safe. Watch out for wobbly trees and branches, and insecure electrical poles and wires! (We always warn each other, here, to watch out for waterborne wildlife - snakes, crocs, etc. Would you have anything trapped in floodwaters to watch for?)

addiemoose said:

I think the old yardstick is out the window. This may be more like a new normal.

nohero said:

addiemoose said:

I think the old yardstick is out the window. This may be more like a new normal.

Very doubtful this is the new normal. 

Guess I picked the right time to be away.

I am registering an early "No thank you" to Larry.

That pic I posted was Redmond. Joan there's was no tree. The water just scooped out a bunch of underlying soil. I saw this in a few places around town.

The berm on the North side of South Orange Avenue just up the hill from North Ridgewood is completely eroded down at least a foot.

mrincredible said:

I am registering an early "No thank you" to Larry.

That pic I posted was Redmond. Joan there's was no tree. The water just scooped out a bunch of underlying soil. I saw this in a few places around town.

The berm on the North side of South Orange Avenue just up the hill from North Ridgewood is completely eroded down at least a foot.

Larry *should* stay well out to sea

Any info on whether I can get to the Rez dog park today? 

Someone in Maplewood was killed in the flood waters last night. He was reported swept away by his family and the police searched for him but could not find him until this morning.

He was in his 50s. The name is not being released at this time. He was found in the vicinity of Ridgewood Road near Millburn.

https://villagegreennj.com/police-and-fire/maplewood-resident-killed-in-flood-waters/

bub said:

I walked downtown Millburn and my neighborhood and based upon visual inspection and talking to people, the flooding is not as bad as in prior mega-flood events.  Hardly great.  But not as bad.  I'm sure its different from town to town.

Open your windows.  Get the fresh dry air in.

I disagree. Flooding reached along Millburn Ave to town hall. Also Main Street flooded down to Ocean St.

I wonder if there was damage in South Mountain section.St Stephens Church basement flooded. Side streets along Main St flooded.

I grew up in Millburn. In 78 years, I ain’t seen anything as extensive. Prior worse flood was in ‘72 which led to the stream widening.

Spoke to several people who said their own basement flooding was not as bad as the last time.  It doesn't mean it wasn't worse in other places.  Also, I noticed almost no piles of sidewalk junk pulled from basements.  Maybe that is yet to come. 

Taking up town invite to help.  Not sure what the most effective thing to do is.  Street drains should be cleared I think to let water flow faster.

No problem with Rez dog park though if you go up Wyoming, you will notice a vehicle blocked off with a smashed in windshield near SO Ave.  A huge fallen and partly cut up tree is on the sidewalk parallel to it.  Must have been quite a shock.

mrincredible said:

Someone in Maplewood was killed in the flood waters last night. He was reported swept away by his family and the police searched for him but could not find him until this morning.

He was in his 50s. The name is not being released at this time. He was found in the vicinity of Ridgewood Road near Millburn.

https://villagegreennj.com/police-and-fire/maplewood-resident-killed-in-flood-waters/

May he rest in peace.  Condolences to his family and friends.  Some of us have indeed suffered greatly as a result of this storm.  Perhaps we should redirect this thread to having people post needs for help so we can work together to help everyone through this.

Formerlyjerseyjack sai 

I wonder if there was damage in South Mountain section.St Stephens Church basement flooded. Side streets along Main St flooded.

I passed through the South Mountain section of Millburn this morning on my way to Millburn ShopRite.  Some of the streets were closed to traffic.  Others looked fine.

joan_crystal said:

Formerlyjerseyjack sai 

I passed through the South Mountain section of Millburn this morning on my way to Millburn ShopRite.  Some of the streets were closed to traffic.  Others looked fine.

My wife and I just walked through the neighborhood to do some cleaning, mostly clearing drains so water would flow faster. Passed a contractor who said to me (uninvited) that this was definitely not as bad as Floyd.  Again, I don't know.  That's my impression too.  Obviously individual homes in the usual bad spots got hammered.  Sadly, saw a kid laying all of his wet sheet music on his lawn.

Big difference to previous storms was that the power mostly stayed on and so pumps continued to work. If we had all lost power a lot more damage would have occurred. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.