Howard Schultz for President 2020?

nan said:

I agree with Ron

Opinions differ. But to my original point: Unless you have up-to-date polling or other supporting data, you can retire the claim that Sanders is way more popular than other Democrats.

dave23 said:

Smedley said:
Maybe Schultz will come around and call for the federal government to print money to fund social programs. That will win him the MOL vote.
I do look forward to the candidate who comes out against printing money. There must be one lurking in the Republican party.

Remember when Republicans were against the deficit?  That was so cute.

Sanders had his chance and unfortunately the primary gods (i.e. the DNC) were against him. 

In my opinion, Sanders was a bit of a curiosity who captured the imagination of the Democratic base in 2016, but he does not have the legs to be a serious contender again. Kind of like Howard Dean was in 2004. So, I predict that Sanders either flames out relatively early on the 2020 primary trail, or perhaps he doesn't even run. 

Smedley said:
Sanders had his chance and unfortunately the primary gods (i.e. the DNC) were against him. 
In my opinion, Sanders was a bit of a curiosity who captured the imagination of the Democratic base in 2016, but he does not have the legs to be a serious contender again. Kind of like Howard Dean was in 2004. So, I predict that Sanders either flames out relatively early on the 2020 primary trail, or perhaps he doesn't even run. 

I am sure that Sanders was as surprised as anybody that he came as close as he did.  Who knew that in 2016, the people were so tired of snow and rain that they wanted something different.  And we ended up with oobleck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_and_the_Oobleck

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

I agree with Ron
Opinions differ. But to my original point: Unless you have up-to-date polling or other supporting data, you can retire the claim that Sanders is way more popular than other Democrats.

He's still #2 on that poll (which we don't have much information on).  He still really really popular for things he represents.  Joe Biden is popular for things he is misrepresented on.  The point is, people want someone who can relate to the workers, and Bernie is better positioned than Biden for that.

Smedley said:

Based on what evidence?  His platform is very popular, even among Republicans. HIs influence has helped a huge movement get off it's feet.  There are progressive Democrats running all over the country.  The DNC is trying to sabotage them, but some of them are still winning.  Howard Dean never did that, and he turned out to be a total sellout lobbyist. 

Sanders drew huge crowds wherever he went.  Never was one of his rally    Photoshoped  to show fans in the bleachers..........they were there.  Not so for his opponent

He drew people of all ages but his strongest showing was and is with the millennial.......a huge voting block

Biden is a man of integrity..........but there is no spark there.  Sort of like kissing your cousin

With the road blocks gone.........Bernie the next time..........why not the best?

author said:
Sanders drew huge crowds wherever he went.  Never was one of his rally    Photoshoped  to show fans in the bleachers..........they were there.  Not so for his opponent
He drew people of all ages but his strongest showing was and is with the millennial.......a huge voting block
Biden is a man of integrity..........but there is no spark there.  Sort of like kissing your cousin
With the road blocks gone.........Bernie the next time..........why not the best?

He's too old.

nan said:

Smedley said:
 Based on what evidence?  His platform is very popular, even among Republicans. HIs influence has helped a huge movement get off it's feet.  There are progressive Democrats running all over the country.  The DNC is trying to sabotage them, but some of them are still winning.  Howard Dean never did that, and he turned out to be a total sellout lobbyist. 

No evidence really. Just proffering my opinion as a long-time amateur political observer. 

Smedley said:

No evidence really. Just proffering my opinion as a long-time amateur political observer. 

Ok, fair enough.  Got it.

tjohn said:

Let's assume that China continues to grow and modernize her economy.  At some point in, say, 25 years, when we aren't the largest economy and China has evolved to the point where her currency is viewed as a reserve currency, we can and will experience an economic collapse.

Of course, we could print money to get out of debt.  That worked really well for the Weimar Republic.

Trump's doing all he can to speed up that timetable. At the G7 summit, countries still acted shocked. Soon they'll realize that not only is the US not going to act the part of lynchpin of the international order, but that they can get along without us. 

Trump's successor might, if she or he is lucky and skilled, be able to repair some of the damage, but now everyone knows that the US is perfectly capable of lurching into a force for chaos, depending on who is president. Faith in US leadership will never be as firm as it once was.

tjohn said:

author said:
 He's too old.

I would not bet on him winning the Olympics...........but it is the mind and the fire in the belly that count.  Feel the Bern

author said:

tjohn said:

author said:
 He's too old.
 I would not bet on him winning the Olympics...........but it is the mind and the fire in the belly that count.  Feel the Bern

Sanders is too old.  That being said, if the choice was Sanders or Trump, I would vote for Sanders, but that really isn't a choice.

tjohn said:

author said:

tjohn said:

author said:
 He's too old.
Sanders is too old.  That being said, if the choice was Sanders or Trump, I would vote for Sanders, but that really isn't a choice.

There is a universe of difference between the two.    There is your choice

author said:

There is a universe of difference between the two.    There is your choice

By which I meant to say that if the choice was my neighbor's dog and Trump, it wouldn't be a choice as the dog would beat Trump in all categories.

Trump is unencumbered by any positive attributes.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!