GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

drummerboy said:
Trump is a "clown" who is building up a mob of brainwashed people - numbering tens of millions strong.

It is the singular, most dangerous thing that he's doing. And it's what nobody talks about.

I don't believe he is building that group. They already existed before him (remember the tea party?). He definitely emboldens them, but these people were already cleverly brainwashed by FoxNews and the GOP in general.

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:
Trump is a "clown" who is building up a mob of brainwashed people - numbering tens of millions strong.

It is the singular, most dangerous thing that he's doing. And it's what nobody talks about.
I don't believe he is building that group. They already existed before him (remember the tea party?). He definitely emboldens them, but these people were already cleverly brainwashed by FoxNews and the GOP in general.

exactly. The conditions were created long before Trump declared his candidacy. 

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

I know Fox twists and lies. But is brainwashed really the correct word to use? To me brainwashing is primarily for the altering of beliefs. Also, indoctrination.

Would it be more correct to say that Fox is validating beliefs? There is no need to indoctrinate their choir. A choir that was already there and all in.

BG9 said:

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

I know Fox twists and lies. But is brainwashed really the correct word to use? To me brainwashing is primarily for the altering of beliefs. Also, indoctrination.

Would it be more correct to say that Fox is validating beliefs? There is no need to indoctrinate their choir. A choir that was already there and all in.

I don't know what the right word is, we can call it validating beliefs, but then someone must have instilled these beliefs in them prior, which was also Fox News most likely.

Maybe propaganda is a better word.

Trump may not be "building" the group but he is empowering them. And that is what is doing damage to the Country.

Sarah Palin was a joke. Donald Trump is a danger.

LOST said:
Trump may not be "building" the group but he is empowering them. And that is what is doing damage to the Country.

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment, and of course he is empowering them. But I do not believe this is only Trump, I think it is a undercurrent of racist, fascist, nationalistic sentiment that Sarah Palin also contributed to, just the Tea Party, and the GOP in general. Yes, Trump obviously has an outsized influence, but he would not be here if others had not already put this stuff in motion many years ago.

Kinda like those chronic illnesses that flare up when conditions are ripe - like when you have a black president, the "threat" of changing demographics, economic stress, etc. Like a herpes.

gerritn said:

LOST said:
I am not disagreeing with the sentiment, and of course he is empowering them. But I do not believe this is only Trump, I think it is a undercurrent of racist, fascist, nationalistic sentiment that Sarah Palin also contributed to, just the Tea Party, and the GOP in general. Yes, Trump obviously has an outsized influence, but he would not be here if others had not already put this stuff in motion many years ago.

In an effort to take the high road, I prefer to think of them as stupid, lazy, and ignorant.  

Someone who is "stupid, lazy and ignorant" is susceptible to racist appeals.

gerritn said:

BG9 said:

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

I don't know what the right word is, we can call it validating beliefs, but then someone must have instilled these beliefs in them prior, which was also Fox News most likely.
Maybe propaganda is a better word.

I think the word is "radicalized".

LOST said:

Agreed.  I guess I'm considering it to be less evil if their racism is due to stupidity and laziness rather than inherent in their core.  

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

exactly. The conditions were created long before Trump declared his candidacy. 

BG9 said:

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

Two things

First - brainwashing. Exactly what else would you call taking a group of people and inculcating into them a set of beliefs, a view of reality, that is the opposite of the truth? And to have them believe that the real truth comes from Fox and Trump? Yes, this has always been part of the conservative worldview, but no, never ever like this. The difference today is that the mob has the leader of the free world, the most powerful man on the planet, full-throated on their side.

That's a huge difference in terms of having their beliefs validated, and it can't be treated lightly.

Also, the breadth and depth of the un-reality that they're being fed simply has no precedent in American history. Again, you can't take that lightly.

Second - as alluded above, there is no precedent for this. It is not the same ol' same ol'.

Yes, the base had to be prepared for this, but they've now graduated.

And the media, of course, gets it completely wrong, and they simply spread the propaganda and intensify it, as they think they're fighting it.

Look. If you ask me, we should all be scared sh!tless every time Trump throws a rally. We don't know exactly how to deal with them, so I think we just tend to dismiss them as a clown talking to clowns.

But that's not right. We're wrong when we do this, because we've never, ever had to deal with it before.  It's new territory.

drummerboy said:
BG9 said:

gerritn said:

drummerboy said:

Two things

First - brainwashing. Exactly what else would you call taking a group of people and inculcating into them a set of beliefs, a view of reality, that is the opposite of the truth? And to have them believe that the real truth comes from Fox and Trump? Yes, this has always been part of the conservative worldview, but no, never ever like this. The difference today is that the mob has the leader of the free world, the most powerful man on the planet, full-throated on their side.
That's a huge difference in terms of having their beliefs validated, and it can't be treated lightly.

There was nothing to inculcate. Their beliefs were already there, dog whistled, whispered in back rooms, in private clubs, etc.

Fox news simply validated what they believed. Besides validating these backroom whisperers were encouraged to openly express their beliefs.

After all, they are "fine" people.

I am just saying that Trump is just a product of the racism and the hatred that was already there. Is he the culmination of it? Yes of course, but it is not like the US was fine before. There has always been an undercurrent of racism in this country, sometimes open, sometimes disguised, but it was always there. What do you think of the birthers, just a dog whistle for racists. Or the tea partiers, who all of a sudden were worried about deficits once a black guy was in the WH, and now that deficits are soaring under trump: crickets. And when Reagan talked about the "welfare queen", do you think his audience associated that with a white person?

Birthers, dog whistle for racists - yes.

Trump the culmination of it - not yet by any means.

Tea Partiers - largely driven by racists.

Goldberg wrote an informative story:

Maybe They’re Just Bad People

A comment, I agree with:

Amen. Trumpists don’t become bad people, Bad People become Trumpists. It’s that simple.

Red_Barchetta said:

LOST said:
 Agreed.  I guess I'm considering it to be less evil if their racism is due to stupidity and laziness rather than inherent in their core.  

There comes a time when even the most entrenched backward "cultures" must be responsible for living in a 2018 world if they want to participate in the larger culture, regardless of what their roots have cultivated in them. F'rinstance, how do these peoples' kids view the Mars missions when science talks in terms of billions of years? Likewise, all of biology. What do they think they're training their kids for? Life in a dark age where everyone is white and god-fearing?

The alternative is to find an island, kinda like where that missionary was killed recently, where they can live their lives free of the effects of scientific reality and the larger world. 

These closed-minded people, who probably enjoy the fruits of science and culture they refuse to believe in or consider racially-equal, want it both ways. They have no problem spending blue-state subsidies and availing themselves of the social bennies they decry.

Next time they go for the most recent flu shot, offer them the old version of because viruses don't evolve. 

As I've posted before, my first thought after '16 was to read the rash of books about how we don't understand the roots of the white poor (Hillbilly Elegy, White Trash, etc.) in an effort to understand what TF happened. 

OK, I'm done.

Rick Wilson, GOP strategist, argued Monday that Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS) is “an embarrassment,” but that she will probably still win Tuesday’s special election against Democrat Mike Espy because “it’s still Mississippi, and also, it’s Mississippi.”

Good Lord, we just sent an 800-pound gizmo millions of miles, braked from 1000's of MPH to make a 5-MPH landing in a preselected spot on the red planet. Now, machines invented by France and Germany will drill into martian soil and do other experiments. 

We can do all this incredible science but cannot address climate change and educate people to consider its impact. 

Perhaps when our "fruited plains" turn to sand we'll wake up and smell the wildfires.

Only economic consequences will awaken the capitalist beast.

Teach your children well...equal time for NC and WI

Two North Carolina students are facing disciplinary action — and their classmates are getting sensitivity training — after they recorded a video of their shockingly racist comments.

The unidentified Northwest Guilford High School students, each shirtless and one with his hand down the front of his shorts, use racial slurs and violent language during the brief rant circulated on social media, reported WFMY-TV.

“F*cking lynch them all, man,” one teen says.

“Send them to the back of the motherf*cking bus, put them b*tches back in the fields and teach them a f*cking lesson,” the other boy says.

The teens then suggest black people are hypocritical for preaching religion while also enjoying rap music.

“They’ll be out here f*cking my wife, stealing my job, eating my food stamps,” the second teen says.

“We do not f*ck with n*ggers, n*ggers do not want no smoke, so come at me, n*ggers,” the first teen says.

rawstory.com

(CNN)A Wisconsin school district will not punish students who were photographed last spring while appearing to give the Nazi salute, a district official said. 

The photo showing a group of male, mostly white high school students in the Baraboo School District with their arms raised sparked an investigation by police and the school district, along with criticism from a Holocaust memorial group. 
The picture, which was tagged #Barabooproud, was originally posted on the @GoBaraboo parody account with the caption, "We even got the black kid to throw it up." It has since been taken down.

Poor whites are paid the psychological wage of "at least we're white" in commiserating about their plight. Michael Eric Dyson

Ohio Trumpsters blame Chevy, even as few people are buying cars (6 GM cars will be discontinued) in favor of trucks and SUVs. More misdirected blame by diehard Trumpsters.

GM workers are not angry with Trump, who promised to not only maintain but expand auto-manufacturing jobs, but at the company that is laying off 15 percent of its workforce and closing the Lordstown plant.

CNN dispatched Cristina Alesci to the plant in the village of Lordstown, where she reported “anger, confusion and shock” among the workforce.

“This is a big blow to the local economy and everyone we spoke to from the mayor to the small business owners to the union leaders it’s not just about the 1,500 jobs possibly impacted here but about the ripple effect,” she said.

Schools are set to lose funding and small businesses are set to lose customers, she said.

Alesci said there was “a real sense of frustration and confusion” among the villagers.

“GM is using this word ‘unallocated’ and people here don’t know what that means,” she said.

The root of the problem is that the Chevy Cruze, which was produced at the plant, is not selling and is being discontinued.

“It’s not just that the Cruze wasn’t selling, right?” anchor Poppy Harlow asked. “Some of this has to do with the president’s tariffs. He says it’s not the tariffs, but GM warned otherwise back this summer.”

Alesci said that the workers were not interested in hearing about the global ramifications of steel and aluminum tariffs, plus the possibility of a trade war.

And of course, the wisdom of DJT shines through: make better cars, dismissing the trend toward SUVs and trucks which make cars unprofitable, which they currently are.

“I spoke with Mary Barra, the head of General Motors last night. I said: ‘I heard you’re closing your plant. It’s not going to be closed for long, I hope, Mary, because if it is you’ve got a problem,'” he told WSJ of his conversation. “So she told me: ‘The car’s not selling.’ I said, ‘so maybe you got to make a better car.'”

An oldie but still relevant:

GL2 said:

I could live with that. Not sure the armed christian will agree though, once they realize they are all living off our taxes

gerritn said:

GL2 said:
I could live with that. Not sure the armed christian will agree though, once they realize they are all living off our taxes

The problem is that we now have data that renders that depiction inaccurate.  The political divide isn't state vs. state, it's urban and suburban vs. rural.  We'd be leaving about 20 or 30 million like-minded people behind in the cities of Armed Christian Land

ml1 said:

gerritn said:

GL2 said:
The problem is that we now have data that renders that depiction inaccurate.  The political divide isn't state vs. state, it's urban and suburban vs. rural.  We'd be leaving about 20 or 30 million like-minded people behind in the cities of Armed Christian Land

Political divide yes, but I was talking about which states are net "takers" or "payers" (see below).

gerritn said:

ml1 said:

gerritn said:

GL2 said:
 Political divide yes, but I was talking about which states are net "takers" or "payers" (see below).

What percentage of the "takers" are social security recipients originally (or formerly) from the northeast, midatlantic or left coast who have moved to a low-tax paradise for retirement (such as Florida or S. Carolina)?

And, should social security recipients be considered "takers" after paying payroll taxes for a lifetime (essentially, premiums paid for a retirement annuity in addition to permanent disability coverage, etc.)?

In my book, when someone pays for something ahead of time and then gets that something later on that person is not my definition of a "taker".  Finally, a hypothetical NJ payer of social security is free to choose where they go to retire including low tax states (describing popular retirement states states as takers when the individual states have no control over who moves to their state for retirement is disingenuous at best).

Is military spending factored in?

GL2 said:

(CNN)A Wisconsin school district will not punish students who were photographed last spring while appearing to give the Nazi salute, a district official said. 
The photo showing a group of male, mostly white high school students in the Baraboo School District with their arms raised sparked an investigation by police and the school district, along with criticism from a Holocaust memorial group. 
The picture, which was tagged #Barabooproud, was originally posted on the @GoBaraboo parody account with the caption, "We even got the black kid to throw it up." It has since been taken down.

Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District...  

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/393/503

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.