Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

That's going to become a real problem.  Way too many people are skipping this in Essex County.  Those appointments should all be grabbed.

They will be grabbed on Monday when the eligible pool expands markedly.

FilmCarp said:

That's going to become a real problem.  Way too many people are skipping this in Essex County.  Those appointments should all be grabbed.

Actually, from a prediction standpoint these open appointments are a good thing. Someone predicted by April 19th most of those from priority groups would have been able to already get their appointment if they wanted one, so it would be a good time to open to the general population. 

The starting increase of availability of appointments looks like the selection of April 19th was a good prediction. 

As Joan said, the appointments should all get taken after eligibility opens up tomorrow. If not, then there may be a problem (and my bet would be on some electronic glitch rather than a problem with demand).

Well, I hope you are right, but my read is different.  I think there are huge numbers of eligible people not signing up.  Expanding the pool will grab those slots, but that doesn't address the underlying vaccine avoidance.

Maybe you are right. It seems like I'm the only person up scheduling their 16 yr old for an appt at 2am of the day eligibility opens up.

Granted... I'm also an insomniac. But I still expected it to be more challenging.

ETA for others looking for a 16 & 17 appt: I found them through:

Walgreens also does 16-17.

Earlier this morning I booked my teen’s Pfizer appt with Summit Medical. She’s a patient there and the appointment was very easy to book via the patient portal. I had only discovered that was possible yesterday— I had been planning to try Walgreens and a mega site in Morris Co.

jamie said:

There are so many available appointments :

https://www.essexcovid.org/index.php/vaccine/vaccine_availability

Still so many open. I'm waiting for Joey D. to call again to tell everyone to sign up.

Over 1,400 vaccine appointment left this week alone at Sears.

Not sure if A Joe D phone call would motivate people.  I think most people are aware that's it's their time.

Is it the negative J&J news?  Is there a feeling like things are opening up and it's not as needed?   Any doubt sinking in from anti-vaxxer campaigns?  Or maybe people are using alternate locations?

Here's the current number with the goal.  I think we're still on target.

"The chief medical officer of BioNTech told CNBC on Wednesday that people will likely need a third shot of its two-dose Covid-19 vaccine as immunity against the virus wanes, agreeing with previous comments made by Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla.

Dr. Ozlem Tureci, co-founder and CMO of BioNTech, which developed a Covid vaccine with Pfizer, said she also expects people will need to get vaccinated against the coronavirus annually, like for the seasonal flu. That’s because, she said, scientists expect vaccine-induced immunity against the virus will decrease over time." 

"Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel told CNBC last week that the company hopes to have a booster shot for its two-dose vaccine available in the fall."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/scientist-who-helped-develop-pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-agrees-third-shot-is-needed-as-immunity-wanes.html

jamie said:

Over 1,400 vaccine appointment left this week alone at Sears.

Not sure if A Joe D phone call would motivate people.  I think most people are aware that's it's their time.

Is it the negative J&J news?  Is there a feeling like things are opening up and it's not as needed?   Any doubt sinking in from anti-vaxxer campaigns?  Or maybe people are using alternate locations?

Here's the current number with the goal.  I think we're still on target.

I just tried to reschedule my 2nd shot with Essex County sites since they have all those open appointments (I had it at Rite Aid for the first one, and Rite Aid has no available appointments to reschedule), and was just told the Essex County system can't do just a second shot.  Ugh.

Why would Rite Aid schedule you for a first dose without assuring you have an available appointment for the second? That doesn't seem like they are doing it the way they should.

sprout said:

I just tried to reschedule my 2nd shot with Essex County sites since they have all those open appointments (I had it at Rite Aid for the first one, and Rite Aid has no available appointments to reschedule), and was just told the Essex County system can't do just a second shot.  Ugh.

I have heard similar stories from others who have received their first dose of the vaccine from a pharmacy.  In each case, the person in question was eventually able to receive the second shot in a timely fashion after some effort on their part.  Rite Aid should have given you appointments for both shots initially.  If not, they should schedule for the second shot now.  I would suggest "going over the head" of whomever you spoke with and explaining their obligation to schedule the second shot when it is due.  If this does not work, I would suggest calling the State number for Covid-19 vaccine scheduling and explain your problem.  They should be able to arrange for you to get your second shot at a location offering whichever vaccine you initially received.

sprout said:

Which vaccine?  Moderna?   Do you have a vaccine card from Rite Aid with the Lot number from that shot?

Who did you ask about this from the County?

Thanks -- all set now. 

I should have been clearer.  I had a second shot scheduled with Rite Aid, but could not make it at the scheduled time. Tried to reschedule online -- but online says no availability. 

So I first tried through

https://www.essexcovid.org/index.php/vaccine/vaccine_availability

site since I saw so many appointments open (and I had Moderna), so thought that would be the easy way to get a second appt. I called their number, and they said not possible -- they only schedule for both doses.

Later I called the Rite Aid, and my appt is part of a clinic that goes through the evening, so I can arrive late. So, that will work for my second dose now.

Glad it all worked out.  Congratulations on being one step closer to being fully vaccinated.

Does anyone know the real hours at Donald M. Payne? The woman on the hotline says 4pm opening but I know for a fact that they were open at 2 on a Friday a couple of weeks ago and they told me 4pm that day too.

Another day at the Livingston Mall, fooling around greeting people at the check-in table. I can see why sbenois was doing this so much. I hope to make Fridays a regular date there.

Say hello  if ya see me there.

Curious to know what the numbers were in Sears today.  Any idea?   I expect a pretty dramatic drop coming early next week.

why isn't the vaccination card wallet sized?

sbenois said:

Curious to know what the numbers were in Sears today.  Any idea?   I expect a pretty dramatic drop coming early next week.

I couldn't say, the only time the line ever backed up was when some of the check-in folks were at lunch. I would have to guess it was a few hundred. I never saw it double back from the blue column by #12's chair. Debra and Cooper were having a lot of fun with me and the vaccinatees.

How many appointments can Sears schedule per day?  I see this coming week there are around 3,500 spots available.  

Here's the current stats for Essex County. Essex county has almost 800,000 residents. So we're a little over 50%

jamie said:

Here's the current stats for Essex County. Essex county has almost 800,000 residents. So we're a little over 50%

What is the source of these statistics?  Are they limited to persons who have been vaccinated in Essex County?  I  have been told with so many sites open (Federal, State, medical providers, pharmacies, and programs addressing specific target populations) that our local health department is unable to track everyone in the County who has been vaccinated. Has this changed?

I got this data from here:

https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml

I'm guessing they can track their supply and how many vaccines were administered.  So if people were vaccinated outside of our county - those number wouldn't be counted probably.

One number that needs to come up a lot (if these stats are correct) is the AA community.  Only 5% vaccinated and they make up 40% of our county's population.

jamie said:

The numerator would be “people with with at least one vaccine dose.” (“Total vaccine doses administered” double counts people who got both Moderna or Pfizer doses.) By that math, we’re a little over one-third.

True.  It also doesn't breakdown the J&J numbers at the county level.

jamie said:

I got this data from here:

https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_dashboard.shtml

I'm guessing they can track their supply and how many vaccines were administered.  So if people were vaccinated outside of our county - those number wouldn't be counted probably.

One number that needs to come up a lot (if these stats are correct) is the AA community.  Only 5% vaccinated and they make up 40% of our county's population.

They would be counted in the overall State totals but it might not be possible to breakout the data by County of residence.  Missing altogether would be those who reside in Essex County but were vaccinated in a different State.  Those who live in Essex County, work in NYC, and were vaccinated through their place of employment, for example.  Their vaccination(s) would likely be counted by the State in which the vaccine was administered.

Vaccinating the AA population is going to require extra effort on the part of those administering the vaccination program nationwide.  When you consider fear of the vaccine plus lack of availability in neighborhoods where there is a large concentration if AA residents, it becomes obvious why these figures are so much lower for the AA community.  Partnering with neighborhood groups and faith-based organizations is a start but it isn't enough to reach many in neighborhoods with a large concentration of AA residents.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.