Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

I just got back from taking my wife over to get her first shot. What an operation. Didn't see sbenois there, so that was disappointing. That operation could handle so many more people. I mean hundreds more per day if there were enough vaccine doses available.

I went yesterday. I agree the site can handle more people, but I don't think it should. It's kind of a stressful thing to begin with for a lot of people, so ease of getting in and out is important to not discourage people from going IMO. Plus they still have to keep people distanced anyway.  

The problem in Essex County has always been about supply of vaccine rather than capability to vaccinate a larger number of people per day. Increasing the hours the sites are in operation and adding more intake personnel would solve the problem @Smedley raises.  I am of the opinion that we should vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible.  Reducing the stress of being able to make an appointment would improve the chances of our most vulnerable getting vaccinated now that we are reaching the point where all adults and some children are eligible to schedule appointments.

bikefixed said:

I just got back from taking my wife over to get her first shot. What an operation. Didn't see sbenois there, so that was disappointing. That operation could handle so many more people. I mean hundreds more per day if there were enough vaccine doses available.

LOL.  I do have a real job you know.

Agree that they could do more.  I worked there last Saturday and IIRC we did just under 2000 starting at 9, going till 1:30 and then 3-5 when we did the J&J.   There was hardly ever a backlog except around 10am when there was a system issue for about 45 minutes.   They've made a lot of tweaks to make it more efficient all around, some in the system, and about a 40% increase in the screening and registration staff.   I would say that 3k is very doable reasonably spaced across 9am-6pm

Even though I have already gotten my two Moderna vaccinations, somehow I got an email and a call from the State Health Dept. advising that there are vaccine appointments available at the NJIT site in Newark.    So, if you are looking to get vaccinated and do not yet have an appointment, check out the State Covid website and the NJIT vaccination center.

By the way as a tangent, I have been to the NJIT campus a few times in the past few years.   Wow has that campus grown!.  And putting it next to Rutgers and Essex County and the hospital makes for a great integration of educational sites.   NJIT has a building called the "Nanotechnology Building."  I am not even really certain what nanotechnology is, but I know it has to do with the really small stuff.   

I got that call too.  It included an instruction to disregard the call if you already had an appointment or had received the shot(s).

bikefixed said:

Sorry about that comment this morning. I was in a rush to finish something for school but couldn't resist the urgency of today's news about the J&J vaccine. I still haven't had any time to listen to or read anything on it further. I was referring more to the logistical aspects that make the J&J vaccine an attractive option.

I also wanted to comment on the different delivery mechanism for the genetic material needed to produce the target antigen but didn't have time. There is some interesting stuff to consider but I'll leave that to those more informed than I currently am. Sorry.

Thanks for your reply and no need to apologize! I appreciate your insights. Congrats to your wife on her first vaccine!

I doubt I'll recognize anyone but I'm going to be working a volunteer shift at the Livingston Mall facility tomorrow. I hope to do some more shifts if I can. I guess I'm paying it forward in thanks to sbenois for helping me get an appointment there. Hopefully, I can add to the very enthusiastic and welcoming vibe there.

It sorta brought to mind visions of dystopian novels or shows that have some overly happy demeanor at some place where the population is urged, but not quite coerced, to get something. But that's just my warped mind. 

A few in my family enjoy dystopian novels and movies. 

I asked if they knew of any stories with malls that were turned into permanent immunization facilities, with booster shots frequently needed to avoid some plague? None were recalled, but one family member offered that the result was not really dystopia, but constant avoidance of dystopia, so it would have required a more tragic twist to be in the genre. Hopefully no more tragic twists in our current storyline.  grin

sprout said:

A few in my family enjoy dystopian novels and movies. 

I asked if they knew of any stories with malls that were turned into permanent immunization facilities, with booster shots frequently needed to avoid some plague? None were recalled, but one family member offered that the result was not really dystopia, but constant avoidance of dystopia, so it would have required a more tragic twist to be in the genre. Hopefully no more tragic twists in our current storyline.  
grin

I wasn't thinking of converted malls in particular, but situations where enthusiastic true-believer types were urging people to partake in some food, medicine or event. A more humorous situation would be like the February 2nd morning scenes in Groundhog Day. "Are ya going to see the groundhog?"

Just posted on the "Nextdoor" web site:

COVID-19 Vaccine. The FEMA vaccination site at NJIT in Newark has 9,600 shots that must be used by Sunday. Anyone from anywhere in the State of New Jersey can go with no appointment. Please share! 8:00-6:00 the brand is Pfizer *To register and schedule an appointment, please call 855-568-0545.* Location: New Jersey Institute of Technology, Naimoli Family Athletic & Recreational Facility Address: Corner of Lock St. & Bleeker St., Newark, NJ 07103 NJ Transit: Warren Street/NJIT Light Rail Station Free Parking: Science and Technology Parking Garage, 42 Wilsey St., Newark, NJ 07103

I saw the above as well and just FYI do NOT call for an appointment as the people I spoke to knew nothing about this and just restated I had to wait for an email. I may drive my daughter over to see if she can shot as she becomes eligible on Mon (and unlike 90% of the people I know I didn’t fake an illness to get her an earlier shot).

The Star-Ledger today, page H1, had a good article on what to do if you lose your covid vaccination card.    

bub said:

Just posted on the "Nextdoor" web site:

COVID-19 Vaccine. The FEMA vaccination site at NJIT in Newark has 9,600 shots that must be used by Sunday. Anyone from anywhere in the State of New Jersey can go with no appointment. Please share! 8:00-6:00 the brand is Pfizer *To register and schedule an appointment, please call 855-568-0545.* Location: New Jersey Institute of Technology, Naimoli Family Athletic & Recreational Facility Address: Corner of Lock St. & Bleeker St., Newark, NJ 07103 NJ Transit: Warren Street/NJIT Light Rail Station Free Parking: Science and Technology Parking Garage, 42 Wilsey St., Newark, NJ 07103

I did a quick google search and found that posted *last week* on a couple Facebook groups (April 8th and 9th)... so it may have been about last Sunday, and not current?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SPPExperience/posts/?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/36000384108/photos/a.10156361647339109/10158106304674109/?type=3

Could be.  It came in an email today.  That's all I know.

RobertRoe said:

The Star-Ledger today, page H1, had a good article on what to do if you lose your covid vaccination card.    

I found someone's COVID vaccine record card - not mine - today.  Hopefully, it will make its way back to her.

Today the Pfizer CEO said it is "likely" that people will need a third dose of the vaccine within 12 months of being fully vaccinated. Pfizer and Moderna have both shown that their vaccines are fully effective after six months and more data is required to determine if the vaccines are effective after six months. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer-ceo-says-third-covid-vaccine-dose-likely-needed-within-12-months.html

I cannot say that I predicted it but I sure ain't surprised. I hope it doesn't have to be a yearly thing. There have been thousands of cases where vaccinated people have contracted it anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN.

Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.

Anyone get tested lately.  Simone is heading out of town and needs a test result within 48 hours of arriving.

On essexcovid you can book a test.  But the dates weren't good and not certain on the timing of the results.

What are the best test options for quick results?

We have used CityMD on Rt 22. They do both tests. The biggest issue is that (at least when we went a few months ago) you had to go in person and give your name, then they would text you to return which could be hours later. Not sure if that has changed.

COVID-19 Testing is now available at Yale Corner.  I don't know how quickly the results are made available.  It is certainly convenient and no appointment is necessary.  Information should be available on the town website or you can call the Health Department for more information. 

Simone was able to book a test through her normal doctor at Summit Medical.  Thanks for the additional info!

Bikefixed:

Not sure if your referring to the number of infections post-vaccine or the need for yearly shots.  If the former, the numbers have been viewed positively and not as a surprise:

"Such cases are not unexpected; no vaccine is 100 percent effective against infection with the coronavirus. Even so, they are rare, and experts tell NBC News the data are largely reassuring."

"'This is a really good scenario, even with almost 6,000 breakthrough infections," said Tara Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the Kent State University College of Public Health in Ohio. "Most of those have been mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. That's exactly what we were hoping for.'"

FYI about the Yale corner testing-- it's been a week since we had the test done there, and still no results. So, not an option if you have time constraints. 

bub said:

Bikefixed:

Not sure if your referring to the number of infections post-vaccine or the need for yearly shots.  If the former, the numbers have been viewed positively and not as a surprise:

"Such cases are not unexpected; no vaccine is 100 percent effective against infection with the coronavirus. Even so, they are rare, and experts tell NBC News the data are largely reassuring."

"'This is a really good scenario, even with almost 6,000 breakthrough infections," said Tara Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the Kent State University College of Public Health in Ohio. "Most of those have been mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. That's exactly what we were hoping for.'"

Yeah, that post could have been more concise. Overall, I agree. Vaccines aren't a guarantee but these look like they're really helping. However, what is the breakdown of case severities when one compares what happens in the vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated population? Is a 7% rate of vaccinated patients [who got infected anyway] needing a hospital good? I cannot find an updated breakdown of nonvaccinated case severities to compare it with.

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I had a blast volunteering today at the Livingston Mall site. They placed me right where people lined up before the check-in. That meant I got to work on delivering the same 2 or 3 jokes the whole day to an ever-changing audience. Some people may have even chuckled. 

Everyone working there who wasn't a new volunteer said that they still need more volunteers to help out.

Vaccine Help email address is:
vaccinehelp@admin.essexcountynj.org

It's hard to know whether 7% is good without knowing the profiles of the people who got infected and required hospitalization.  As we know, the hospitalization rate varies with the presence or absence of certain underlying conditions.  Another way of looking at this, though, is to say that among 66 plus million American who have been fully vaccinated, only 500 or so of them got the disease anyway and had a severe enough case requiring hospitalization.  That's infinitesimal.

bub said:

It's hard to know whether 7% is good without knowing the profiles of the people who got infected and required hospitalization.  As we know, the hospitalization rate varies with the presence or absence of certain underlying conditions.  Another way of looking at this, though, is to say that among 66 plus million American who have been fully vaccinated, only 500 or so of them got the disease anyway and had a severe enough case requiring hospitalization.  That's infinitesimal.

Another way of looking at this statistic is 93% of the vaccinated population either did not contract COVID - 19 at all or had such a mild or asymptomatic case they didn't even bother getting tested.  Those look like extremely good odds to me.

I may be wrong on this, but I recall that the only vaccine that is 100% effective (there are rare exceptions) is the rabies vaccine.   Thank you to Louis Pasteur.     

In the mail today, my wife and I got a letter from Essex County and a clear plastic sleeve to put our covid vaccination cards in.   Nicely done and good job for the County.   

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.