EWR security setup is a nightmare!

it has happened to me too.  And once a security person took a look at my pass (which had randomly assigned pre-check, unlike the rest of my family) and waved all 4 of us through to pre-check, where we promptly got yelled at by the next security person for skipping the line.  Arg.

rhw said:

How do you get TSA Pre-Check status?

I was able to apply through the United Frequent Flyer program at no charge.  

According to a recent article in The Economist not enough people are signing up for Precheck so rather than making it easier they are using long lines as a marketing tool. 

bramzzoinks said:

According to a recent article in The Economist not enough people are signing up for Precheck so rather than making it easier they are using long lines as a marketing tool. 

How does that account for the longest lines in EWR being in PreCheck?  

Global Entry gives guaranteed pre check but only for the subscriber. 

If you fly first class you get pre check as well.

Coming back into the US Global Entry can save a lot of time thru immigration   Totally worth it  

mbaldwin said:
bramzzoinks said:

Precheck lines can look long but they move fast. 

stateguy said:

Coming back into the US Global Entry can save a lot of time thru immigration   Totally worth it  

Absolutely! Global Entry is a huge sanity- and time-saver (approval also gets you TSA Pre-check and equivalent at the Canadian Border, too, as part of the package). Two international flights over the past few weeks had literally hundreds of people in the U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident line (imagine this late at night, after sitting on the tarmac for over an hour upon arriving) -- Global Entry Kiosk took 30 seconds. Totally worth $100 a year.

mbaldwin said:
bramzzoinks said:

NYC area airports are at something like 25%.  Overall, the percentage is in the low single-digits... I think that's what The Economist is referring to.

Found the app to be reasonably close, though when it says 31+ minutes that could be ANYTHING.  

ctrzaska said:

Found the app to be reasonably close, though when it says 31+ minutes that could be ANYTHING.  

I didn't know about that app before ... thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, that app isn't actually updated by TSA; it relies on users posting their wait times. 

ril said:

Unfortunately, that app isn't actually updated by TSA; it relies on users posting their wait times. 

Like Waze for airports?

sac said:
ril said:

Like Waze for airports?

No, Waze uses its analytics based on the GPS data to determine delays and re-routing.  

ril said:

True (other than airport delays which I believe are theirs), but I've usually found it relatively close when the reports are frequent and close in to when I'm about to arrive there.

stateguy said:

I should have spent the extra $15 to get Global Entry instead of Pre.

Global Entry has saved me countless hours, particularly at JFK.

Which probably means it'll be much more accurate

ril said:

Adam_West said:
So the idea is that TSA wants to create as large a soft target as possible for a team of suicide belt wearing, ak47 toting ISIS fans to attack using the proven Brussels method? 

Would this be because of ISIS moles at TSA or some sort of TSA job security conspiracy? 

Unless TSA is actively working on behalf of the terrorists, creating massive lines outside security seems like the opposite of a rational response to the attack in brussels.

In general there is a trade off between security and convenience. When we increase security, the incidental result is that we decrease convenience. Observing this, the TSA and other government agencies have turned this logic around and decreased convenience deliberately and directly. Either they believe that this results in increasing security, which it doesn't, or they think the people will believe it. It seems to be a show that they did something about security, in the belief that as long as they do something -- anything -- it's a good thing.

Tom_Reingold said:
...When we increase security, the incidental result is that we decrease security...

Huh?

jimmurphy said:
Tom_Reingold said:
...When we increase security, the incidental result is that we decrease security...

Huh?

Sorry, I meant convenience.

We (theparents) have Global Entry but we found out the hard way that it didn't help when we were travelling with our teens who do not have it.  I am signing them up ASAP.

do you still get felt up in global entry.  or is it just by hotter dudes?

So ... My husband and I are going to the airport Saturday morning for a 6:40 am flight out of Terminal C. We have premier status and may or may not get TSA-pre (will know 24 hours ahead when we check in.) Any advice on when we should get there?

Fortunately we have some United Club passes that are about to expire anyway, so if it all goes faster than expected, we can at least go there to kill time.  (But that doesn't help my 20-something daughter who will be getting up way early to drive us to the airport.)

Arrive 2 hours early if you want to not start your trip stressed out. Based on my recent experience Sunday morning they open the security stations at 4:30 am.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.