COVID-19

DaveSchmidt said:

Morganna said:

mrincredible said:

deleted.

I'm being a grouch.

Well if you are going to be deleting rants, I'll just have to move over to Soapbox All Politics.

Sorry I missed it.

It was nothing I haven’t felt like saying sometimes.

It was a bad reaction to someone else's comment. It's actually worth talking about in the context of this thread, because I think both my reaction and the comment were influenced by the psychological stress and frustration of this crazy situation we find ourselves in.

My fuse has been a lot shorter for the last few weeks and it seems to be getting shorter.  My patience is much less than usual.  I'm trying hard to remember that we're all in this same boat together and I screwed up for a few minutes.  I'm hoping the person to whom I directed the comment didn't see it before I deleted it.  Although if they saw it, I hereby release them from my directive.

Just registered for our Qmasks, which the Hong Kong government is providing for free to every resident via regular post.   

https://www.qmask.gov.hk/tutorial

ETA

High schools to resume at end of month.  Younger grades a week after that.

Social meet-ups increased from 4 to 8 people.

No new local cases for 16 days.

This was interesting from Cuomo today- initial findings on new cases.  And older refers to 51+

This sounds pretty good:

May 8, 7:20 p.m.

Hong Kong International Airport tests a full-body booth that can disinfect a person in 40 seconds. With air travel dramatically disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, air carriers and airports are looking for ways to making flying safer for passengers and airline workers. The Hong Kong International Airport recently began testing a product known as CleanTech, which is "a full-body smart disinfection channel facility" that also applies "an antimicrobial coating application." The disinfecting procedure takes all of 40 seconds, the airport said in a statement, and is able to remove viruses from the skin and clothes. The airport released video of the booth in action, which so far is only being used to disinfect employees who come in close contact with passengers. Watch it in action here.

jamie said:

CleanTech, which is "a full-body smart disinfection channel facility" that also applies "an antimicrobial coating application." 

I would be afraid that getting a chemical coating  will cause other problems down the road.... possibly also in the lungs as it can probably be inhaled. Especially for the employees who are coated regularly or work near the machine.

I also got some "Open the pod bay doors, Hal' vibes from that demonstration machine.

Early on my husband’s employer informed him that he was not allowed to wear his NBC mask for fear of scaring the public.  They have not only reversed their position on this, but they are now actually offering to purchase replacement cartridges for it since it frees up N95 masks for his co-workers.

He was able to get an antibody test through LabCorp, and it came back negative.  So either the test was a false negative, or he actually did well so far in taking preventive measures when at work.  Since I don’t know how high the false negative rate is for the LabCorp antibody test, either scenario could be equally valid in my eyes.

What does it sound like when he says "I am your father"?

jamie said:

This was interesting from Cuomo today- initial findings on new cases.  And older refers to 51+

Also,  of recent NY hospitalizations 96% have underlying health issues.

Spike Lee's tribute to NYC

jamie said:

This sounds pretty good:

May 8, 7:20 p.m.

Hong Kong International Airport tests a full-body booth that can disinfect a person in 40 seconds. With air travel dramatically disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, air carriers and airports are looking for ways to making flying safer for passengers and airline workers. The Hong Kong International Airport recently began testing a product known as CleanTech, which is "a full-body smart disinfection channel facility" that also applies "an antimicrobial coating application." The disinfecting procedure takes all of 40 seconds, the airport said in a statement, and is able to remove viruses from the skin and clothes. The airport released video of the booth in action, which so far is only being used to disinfect employees who come in close contact with passengers. Watch it in action here.

This is insanely stupid and useless. The person walks out and sneezes or touches any surface and it was all for nothing.

And they don't even mention what chemical is being sprayed in the booth.  I don't want to be in a box inhaling chemicals for 40 seconds only to re-contaminate myself as soon as I walk out.

from Bob Roe:  University Hospital is reporting very good results with plasma from recovered Covid patients.  You have to be symptom free for 28 days.  Make an appointment with University or the Red Cross in Fairfield to donate.  This was on ABC News last night.  

On WNYC this morning there was a story about how backlogged the cemeteries and crematorium in the city.  They reported a five week waiting period for cremation.

I can hardly comprehend that kind of news. It's like something out of a dystopian sci fi film. 

Got this in an email yesterday:

The Broadway League announced that performances will be suspended again through Sunday, September 6, 2020. Off-Broadway shows are suspended too. That means no shows will play over the summer.

This is unfortunate news, but not unexpected. Everyone on Broadway wants to be sure that we return to a safe environment for audiences, performers, and theatre employees.

Maplewood Recreation is creating a Maplewood Mask Mural - submit yours today!

http://www.maplewoodartsandculture.org/

Danny Meyer recently said that he can't see opening his 19 restaurants across NYC until there is a vaccine.

"Now, Meyer says his dining rooms will stay closed for the foreseeable future. “We won’t be welcoming guests into our full-service restaurants for a very long time—probably not until there’s a vaccine,” he says. “There is no interest or excitement on my part to having a half-full dining room while everyone is getting their temperature taken and wearing masks, for not much money.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/danny-meyer-says-nyc-dining-rooms-won-t-reopen-till-covid-vaccine

cramer said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-14/danny-meyer-says-nyc-dining-rooms-won-t-reopen-till-covid-vaccine

this is an example of why the calls to "reopen" are so asinine.  Neither employers, nor employees, nor customers in many businesses even want to be open and leave themselves open to the risk of infection. Ethical owners of non-essential businesses don't want to risk the health of their employees and their customers. 

mrincredible said:

It was a bad reaction to someone else's comment. It's actually worth talking about in the context of this thread, because I think both my reaction and the comment were influenced by the psychological stress and frustration of this crazy situation we find ourselves in.

My fuse has been a lot shorter for the last few weeks and it seems to be getting shorter.  My patience is much less than usual.  I'm trying hard to remember that we're all in this same boat together and I screwed up for a few minutes.  I'm hoping the person to whom I directed the comment didn't see it before I deleted it.  Although if they saw it, I hereby release them from my directive.

I'm feeling the same thing on social media when idiots are sharing misinformation or opinions that go against the public health experts' advice.  But I don't feel guilty for calling someone's post ignorant and dangerous if it is in fact ignorant and dangerous according to the experts.  There are times when it should be perfectly ok to get angry and call out someone who is spreading bad information that will lead to people getting sick and dying.  If not now, when?  Sometimes there are times when we shouldn't agree to disagree.

Important news - This morning Moderna announced positive results for its Phase 1 clinical trials. 45 people were involved and all tested for antibody levels similar to people who had COVID-19, and there were no serious side effects - some people who were given the highest dosage experienced fevers.  Moderna is talking about starting phase 3 clincial trials in July. Phase 2 will be 600 subjects. The video of the Moderna CEO's interview on CNBC should be available later. 

This is huge news. 

From the NY Times article that mtierney posted:

In Memorial Park in Maplewood, N.J., on Thursday, Gabriella Gabriel, 22, was exercising with her friend Candace Brodie, also 22, on mats a few feet apart on the grass.

“People are spread out and there’s no way for someone to be right on top of me,” Ms. Gabriel said. “But in a pool or beach, everyone is so condensed — too close for comfort.”

Experts agreed that the risk of swimming in pools, lakes or the ocean is not from the water, but from exposure to people in and near the water.

Just crunching some numbers:

On the town website - there's a link Instructions for persons who test positive for COVID-19:

https://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/covid-19-coronavirus-resource-portal/files/guidance-discontinuation-home-isolation-covid-19-positive

It takes you to a page that you need to be logged in for.  I couldn't figure out how to sign in.  I was just curious to see what they're instructions were.  I will reach out to them, maybe they can remove the need to log in.

Whoa, what is going on in Cedar Grove? That death rate is higher than the worst-hit areas of NY.

65% stem from nursing and care facilities within the township.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/verona-slash-cedar-grove/sections/health-and-wellness/articles/65-percent-of-cedar-grove-s-coronavirus-cases-stem-from-care-facilities

CEDAR GROVE, NJ - According to the township's Situational Awareness Report, 65 percent of Cedar Grove's positive COVID-19 cases stem from nursing and care facilities within the township.

According to Wednesday's report from Essex County there are currently 348 cases of COVID-19 in Cedar Grove with 81 deaths reported, while there are 108 cases in Verona with 11 deaths reported. However, the total cases stemming from care facilities in Cedar Grove is 406 with 84 deaths reported. The Essex County Hospital is not included in these numbers, but according to the Situational Awareness Report, there are less than 20 cases stemming from the hospital with no deaths reported.

mdn said:

Whoa, what is going on in Cedar Grove? That death rate is higher than the worst-hit areas of NY.

bub said:

mdn said:

In the same vein, someone sent me a NYT article about the hardest hit NYC neighborhoods in terms of death.  While I have no doubt that poorer and minority neighborhoods suffered worse overall than other places, there were some seriously tony places on that list - like Sea Gate, Riverdale, Jamaica Estates, Todt Hill in Staten Island.  Others were more modest but far from the worst places to live in NYC.  Was a relatively older age demographic the key factor in those places?  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.