Can’t decipher crappy handwriting a new puzzle to solve circa 1899

I finally was able to get the picture to upload.  The c in cousin is lowercase.  In the line below you can see how a capital C is written, very different.  I'm not saying that it can't be a C, but seeing how the capital C was written in other words I don't think it is likely. However, even taking Spencerian script into account I can't decipher what letter that might be. 

Spencerian script, when the student actually practices and keeps their handwriting neat.  This clerk's handwriting is horrid, but it does appear to be based off of Spencarian

It could be a very sloppy Edwardian L, which looks more like a modern L than the Spencarian version does

I’m strictly Lillian Palmer Method myself...

Would anyone go for Konstanas, or Koustanas?  That first letter is ???  Maybe L?

fwiw, here's a list of Lithuanian surnames, courtesy of Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lithuanian-language_surnames

If you have no objection, I could ask my Ladies on Thursday; there are Romanians, Bulgarians, Greeks, Greeks from Asia Minor and Italians from Egypt in that group (as well as retired postmistresses and bookkeepers, and avid mystery solvers) and they all speak several European languages.

How about Konokous(e)?

No objection at all, ask away.  I'll try Konokouse and see if I can find any name matches.

The reason I'm looking for this person is that the listing for the immigrant is similar, but not exact, as a relative of my husband's.  If I can find that they in fact have a cousin with the same name as listed on the register then it would be a fair assumption that it is the same person.  The age is correct, the date of arrival is correct, the destination is correct, the the relative's first and last name are spelled differently, so I don't want to assume it is him until I have more supporting evidence.  It is most likely a case of Americanizing his name after arrival, but I can't be certain

Can anyone guess what this first name is?  Looks like Riker, but I doubt they gave him such a trendy name back then, especially when the other siblings had average Irish names of John and Maggie. 

I would say not Riker. The individual was very particular with his dots over the "i"s (Rudi and Maggie) and I think that's an "n" on the end (his "r"s are different). Pretty sure it starts with "K" (look at "K"ate and "R"udi.) Crazily, it looks like Kuken to me...

Yeah, looking at the letters I keep coming up with crazy names too. I’ve tried looking at male Irish names to see if anything comes close, but when you’re not even sure of the first letter it is hard to even guess

anybody want to venture Rupert?  First & third letters look a lot the same, but the writer does seem a little tired (John and Margaret look fine, but write-over on i in Maggie and something strange after the g's?).  There's definitely an r at/near the end (compare to the 2nd r in Margaret), but can't tell if it's been written over....  And granted there's no t visible, but it does look like 3 more letters after the 3rd letter, though one could be written over.....

Are we sure this is male? I could make a case for Karen or some special spelling similar...(Keiran is Irish, Keren, etc) 

Do we know this is all by the one hand, not just a similar writer? The pens (nib) must have been frustrating sometimes, you can see that on this line. 

Yes, definitely male. On the census form he is listed as “m” for male and for relationship to the head of the house the census taker wrote in “son.”

It is frustrating because we know of very few relatives on this side of the family.  I know it isn’t like if I can find living cousins we will all meet up for the holidays, but it would be nice to know more about my grandfather’s background.  This “Riker” kid would have been my grandfather’s uncle. 

This one I don’t need any help deciphering, but I thought I’d post it since we had the earlier discussion about “killed by the cars.”  

This screen shot is the death certificate for my 4x great grandmother who died in Franklin Furnace (now just Franklin) New Jersey. It reads “cause of death was from injuries received by accidentally falling in a mine hole.”

question 

And they say handwriting is a lost art...  Can anyone decipher the cause of death on this death certificate?  I can't make out the first word, the third word *might* be congestion, "of lungs" seems pretty clear, and the next line I can't even make out how many separate words there are.  It looks like she was sick for 4 months before she died

Grippe with congestion of lungs. (Flu.) 

Complication with _____.

I never would have figured that out.  Thank you so much.

Aren’t death certificates completed by doctors? Who are notorious for their poor handwriting?? cheese

(My family doctor can’t spell common English words, and doesn’t use her spellchecker. Frustrating)

Edited to correct a typo

Probably not Ruben -- But it almost looks capital-b with some smudging that also made the line under where the 'B' would be, to not show up.

This is only a street name, not a family name, but I’m still curious since I like looking up old residences listed for ancestors and seeing if their homes still exist. Though nine times out of ten they are long gone 

This street name looks like it starts with a D, but even that uncertain.  The 1887 Sanborn map lists D streets as Dale, De Crasse, Dickenson, and Division.  None of which seem to match 

is that an -ey or -ery at the end, do you think?? (Unlikely to be a lazy -g, I reckon)

It almost looks like "President" to me, albeit a scrawled version of that word.

Street names from 1887 that start with P.  Pacific, Passaic, Paterson, Peach, Pearl, Pennington, Piercy, Pine, Plum, Power's Alley, Preakness, Prince, Prospect, and Putnam.

Admittedly, the record above is from 1871, so the street names are 16 years out of date, so there is a chance that the name may have changed.  But 1887 is the closest I can find.  

I'll also look and see which streets are geographically close to Cedar, as it appears most people back then tended to live in a small radius of a few blocks most of their lives, unless the made a BIG move (out of state, or out of the country)

DaveSchmidt said:
Grippe with congestion of lungs. (Flu.) 
Complication with _____.

The last word looks a bit like "attack" (?)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.